HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proof that Burke is slime

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
Hall taking it seriously is why I did too. The quotes from Hall and Seguin added a touch of seriousness to it.

It could very well be a joke, but if so, Hall was in on it, and was playing it straight.
Seguin's answer was just a simple "nah", so that could mean anything. I would have liked to see a video to see their facial expressions when they gave their answers.

Old
05-29-2010, 10:49 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
What does having a harvard doctor degree have to do with anything? If he did ask them if they were willing to do this, he isn't breaking any rules.

Again I'm not saying this isn't a joke. Considering Burke's past though, would it really surprise you if he wasn't joking when he asked that question?
Look, I'm saying he's not that stupid. I think this is really a non-story. We just want to believe Burke is slime in this case. If it were gainey/gauthier we'd be like "way to throw a curve ball!". I'm surprised people take this story seriously. This alone should be a huge story, and the article it's written in, didn't even bother to emphasize. Goes to show how corrupt it truly is.

Old
Schooner Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
Hall taking it seriously is why I did too. The quotes from Hall and Seguin added a touch of seriousness to it.

It could very well be a joke, but if so, Hall was in on it, and was playing it straight.
They were playing along with the joke!!!!

I can't believe this thread.

Old
coolasprICE

Quote:
Excuse us for having some doubt considering the stunts that Burke has pulled in the past.

You're probably right, but if you look at Hall's answer to the question, he seemed to take it seriously.

“I told them I couldn’t do it,” said Hall, who is the No. 2-ranked North American skater by NHL Central Scouting.

If Hall thought it was a joke, don't you think he might have mentioned that in his reply?

It's likely that Hall said that with a huge grin on his face. Seguin said "nah" , probably with a smile too.

Manipulative journalism

Old
05-29-2010, 10:51 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Clearly it is a joke, Burke has said many times they won the Kessel trade so obviously they wouldn't need Seguin or Hall.
now thats funny

Old
05-29-2010, 10:51 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post

Same here. I think we're trying to hard to hate the leafs on this one...it should come naturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
now thats funny
Besides the extra picks they gave up, there's no real guarantee hall will be a potential 40 goal scorer either. At one point some people thought kessel was better than crosby. So whatever, kessel is clearly a good player, hall may not even end up as good, but mind you, the extra picks do **** them up afterwards.

Old
05-29-2010, 10:53 AM
coolasprICE

Personally I love reading articles that remind us of the misery that will be draft day for Leaf nation ... hahahaha no 2nd overall pick ....

Wait, if they did not Have Kessel - does that mean they could of had the 1st overall pick????

Hahaha Leafs suck

Old
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
The article says: "In a move that seemsto have been orchestrated by the calculating mind of general manager Brian Burke..."

So one, the writer is just assuming this was Burke's idea.

And two, there would be so many lawsuits if that actually happened. Odds are this was just an ice breaker given the context of the rest of the article focusing on why he bothers and how he keeps prospects engaged in interviews that may at first seem useless.

To me, that question is just an ice breaker.

But if the rest of you want to freak out about it, enjoy.
Well since the question was posed by someone in the Leafs organization. It's not much of a stretch to think that the idea came from Burke, or was atleast approved by him.

Lawsuits for what? By asking that question, Burke or whomever from the Leafs are doing nothing wrong. Immoral sure, but not illegal.

Old
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
He asked them to lie? Hahahaha Lying isn't wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...162/story.html
Not at all shocking, but to me this is one of the main reasons I hate this guy. He tampers and manipulates with no regard for existing rules. Not that it would ever happen but imagine if he were to manipulate this system to get a top pick like this, it completely throws ethics and credibility out of the equation with regards to the NHL draft.

He should be fined and censured.

Old
05-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
It's likely that Hall said that with a huge grin on his face. Seguin said "nah" , probably with a smile too.

Manipulative journalism
Agreed, but since all we can go by now is the article. I don't know how anyone can be sure that this was a joke or not.

Old
05-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Joey Hoser

The fact that some people think this was anything but a joke and could possibly have worked is totally hilarious. Far more so than the joke itself.

Old
05-29-2010, 10:57 AM
shutehinside

Quote:

I'm sure Burke would have told them he was joking if either one of them told him they'd do it to play for Toronto. No doubt about it, Burke would have slapped them upside the head and said "I was only joking! You have no class and I wouldn't want you to dawn a Leafs jersey because of your loose morals, now get out!" Clearly, that's what his answer would be, I mean he was only joking when he brought up the detailed plan to them, right?

Old
05-29-2010, 10:57 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

By asking the players to conspire to lie and subvert the rules of the draft system he must be breaching some sort of agreement whereby all teams agree to follow the rules of the draft system. At the very least the principles (or spirit) of the system were threatened if a player agreed to do this.
Quote:
Well since the question was posed by someone in the Leafs organization. It's not much of a stretch to think that the idea came from Burke, or was atleast approved by him.

Lawsuits for what? By asking that question, Burke or whomever from the Leafs are doing nothing wrong. Immoral sure, but not illegal.

Old
05-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Look, I'm saying he's not that stupid. I think this is really a non-story. We just want to believe Burke is slime in this case. If it were gainey/gauthier we'd be like "way to throw a curve ball!". I'm surprised people take this story seriously. This alone should be a huge story, and the article it's written in, didn't even bother to emphasize. Goes to show how corrupt it truly is.
The difference is both Gainey/Gauthier are both known as GM's that have followed the rules. While Burke is well known for bending them where he sees fit.

I agree, it's not a big story, especially since both players said no. If either one of them had agreed to Burke's request, then we would have a huge story, as Burke would have been able to circumvent the NHL draft rules.

Old
05-29-2010, 10:59 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
The difference is both Gainey/Gauthier are both known as GM's that have followed the rules. While Burke is well known for bending them where he sees fit.

I agree, it's not a big story, especially since both players said no. If either one of them had agreed to Burke's request, then we would have a huge story, as Burke would have been able to circumvent the NHL draft rules.
I doubt he'd get away with it. He'd prob be blackballed by 29 other teams if he tried.

Old
05-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post

Manipulative journalism
Manipulative journalism? More like poor abilities by the readers to understand that something was written in jest.

Quote:
Agreed, but since all we can go by now is the article. I don't know how anyone can be sure that this was a joke or not.
I'm sure. It was a joke.

Old
05-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Garry Valk

Man. It was a joke.

Old
05-29-2010, 11:00 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

It isnt much of a joke to put a young 18 year old kid on the spot like that if it wasnt said in a joking manner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
The fact that some people think this was anything but a joke and could possibly have worked is totally hilarious. Far more so than the joke itself.

Old
05-29-2010, 11:02 AM
timbitca

Yeah, cause I'm sure the other 29 GM's would just play along with it...

It's a joke guys, come on now. Hate on the Leafs all you want, but for credible stuff at least...

Old
05-29-2010, 11:02 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

joke sucked

burke is a joke

/thread plz

Old
05-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
By asking the players to conspire to lie and subvert the rules of the draft system he must be breaching some sort of agreement whereby all teams agree to follow the rules of the draft system. At the very least the principles (or spirit) of the system were threatened if a player agreed to do this.
Good to see you toshiro.

Agreed, but try proving that though. The players can always say that they fully intended to retire, then all of a sudden it's a few days before draft day, and they suddenly got the urge to become hockey players again.

I don't know what the current rules are. I'd like to know if there is a waiting period from when a player officially retires to when they can be re-instated.

Old
05-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

I guess the scouts that asked Seguin which did he prefer: a gun or a poem were either right wing lunatics or flaming fairies?

I can understand not liking the Leafs but jeeze some of you guys should give your head a shake.

Old
05-29-2010, 11:07 AM
icerocket

Lol ya it was a "joke".

Old
05-29-2010, 11:08 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Manipulative journalism? More like poor abilities by the readers to understand that something was written in jest.
True. I'm just trying to be nice by blaming it on the writer instead of rubbing it in...

Old
05-29-2010, 11:08 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

jesus christ, Go read it on TSN, Burke had nothing to do with it, the head of scouting asked them too in jest and they said they both laughed and then both responded no ( in their own interviews) this has nothing to do with burke jesus

Closed Thread