HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Loose ankles

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-17-2010, 10:58 PM
  #1
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard
 
Mantha Poodoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,912
vCash: 500
Loose ankles

So after having skated a few times on my skates, I'm still having problems with tightness around the ankles (or rather, the lack thereof). While my purchased skates are 2329392832 times better than the rentals, I'm just not quite able to get them tight enough around my ankles no matter how tight I tie them.

Part of the problem is my shoe size is a 12A. Yes, I walk on skis. My skates are 11.5D (length is fine), and I honestly haven't seen any skate slimmer than a D at that length. The Missions were the best fitting pair I happened to try (that was in my price range).

I wear double socks, and it helps. Should I try triple socks? What can I do to get a more secure fit around the ankles?

Mantha Poodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 12:26 AM
  #2
pass the bisk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: United States
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
<insert bender joke here>

lol

seriously though, you could try tying the lace around your ankle for more support.

pass the bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 12:55 AM
  #3
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard
 
Mantha Poodoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,912
vCash: 500
Already done the above, but thanks anyhow for the suggestion.

Mantha Poodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 01:30 AM
  #4
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wheeled Winger View Post
So after having skated a few times on my skates, I'm still having problems with tightness around the ankles (or rather, the lack thereof). While my purchased skates are 2329392832 times better than the rentals, I'm just not quite able to get them tight enough around my ankles no matter how tight I tie them.

Part of the problem is my shoe size is a 12A. Yes, I walk on skis. My skates are 11.5D (length is fine), and I honestly haven't seen any skate slimmer than a D at that length. The Missions were the best fitting pair I happened to try (that was in my price range).

I wear double socks, and it helps. Should I try triple socks? What can I do to get a more secure fit around the ankles?
Your skates are too big. Obviously you know they are too wide, but aren't they too long as well?

I'm not familiar with the mission fit but a 12D foot would typically fit in a 10D or 10.5D in most skates. An 11.5D would be both too long and too wide (for them, and you are even narrower) as they (most 11.5Ds) are proportionally wider than a 10D or 10.5D...

Not sure where you would get 10A or 10.5A skates, but you probably haven't even got close too the narrowest "off the shelf" skates that will fit your feet lengthwise since 10D's are widely available.

With a 10D or 10.5D an extra sock and bigger footbed added might help, but you really need to be properly fitted...

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 01:57 AM
  #5
Noir
Registered User
 
Noir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver, CAN
Posts: 615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wheeled Winger View Post
So after having skated a few times on my skates, I'm still having problems with tightness around the ankles (or rather, the lack thereof). While my purchased skates are 2329392832 times better than the rentals, I'm just not quite able to get them tight enough around my ankles no matter how tight I tie them.

Part of the problem is my shoe size is a 12A. Yes, I walk on skis. My skates are 11.5D (length is fine), and I honestly haven't seen any skate slimmer than a D at that length. The Missions were the best fitting pair I happened to try (that was in my price range).

I wear double socks, and it helps. Should I try triple socks? What can I do to get a more secure fit around the ankles?
It's going to take more than that to break in a new pair of hockey skates.

I bought an RBK 9K years ago and which was triple the cost of my previous skate. I almost gave up on the 9K after 3 weeks of frustration as they felt like crap. And I was playing hockey on average of 4 times a week.

It actually took between 1 - 2 months for the skate to start breaking in and feel comfortable and took somewhere between 2 - 4 months to start finally feel like an old pair of slippers. Now I can't imagine ever going back to my lower end skates and just keep them for spare (when I need to re-steel my 9Ks).



Now mind you, the break in period will vary depending on a lot of things. How often you play, how demanding you are to your skates when you play, possibly your weight and possibly depending on the model of the skates too.

Eventually the material on the ankle will soften up after X amount of times you've laced on your skates.

Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 02:34 AM
  #6
timekeep
Registered User
 
timekeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wheeled Winger View Post
So after having skated a few times on my skates, I'm still having problems with tightness around the ankles (or rather, the lack thereof). While my purchased skates are 2329392832 times better than the rentals, I'm just not quite able to get them tight enough around my ankles no matter how tight I tie them.

Part of the problem is my shoe size is a 12A. Yes, I walk on skis. My skates are 11.5D (length is fine), and I honestly haven't seen any skate slimmer than a D at that length. The Missions were the best fitting pair I happened to try (that was in my price range).

I wear double socks, and it helps. Should I try triple socks? What can I do to get a more secure fit around the ankles?
When you bought the skates did the person selling you them heat up the skates and then make you wear them for 15 minutes super tight? If not get to a skate shop and get them to properly fit them for you. they may even be able to push in the sides for you.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 02:42 AM
  #7
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
It's going to take more than that to break in a new pair of hockey skates.

I bought an RBK 9K years ago and which was triple the cost of my previous skate. I almost gave up on the 9K after 3 weeks of frustration as they felt like crap. And I was playing hockey on average of 4 times a week.

It actually took between 1 - 2 months for the skate to start breaking in and feel comfortable and took somewhere between 2 - 4 months to start finally feel like an old pair of slippers. Now I can't imagine ever going back to my lower end skates and just keep them for spare (when I need to re-steel my 9Ks).



Now mind you, the break in period will vary depending on a lot of things. How often you play, how demanding you are to your skates when you play, possibly your weight and possibly depending on the model of the skates too.

Eventually the material on the ankle will soften up after X amount of times you've laced on your skates.
Breaking in is one thing, lack of support due to skates being too big is another. I don't think breaking them in can help much, if at all, in this case.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 03:44 AM
  #8
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard
 
Mantha Poodoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
When you bought the skates did the person selling you them heat up the skates and then make you wear them for 15 minutes super tight? If not get to a skate shop and get them to properly fit them for you. they may even be able to push in the sides for you.
I'm not sure these skates are bake friendly or not (Amp 6's, bought used, guessing '99 model). Need to do some research on that.

In regards to another comment about length, my toes were about ready to burst out of several pairs of 11s (various brands). I probably couldn't even fit into a 10.5 or a 10. I should probably clarify that my shoe size is probably more around a 12.5 (maybe 13), but I wear 12s for a little extra tightness so they don't slip off my narrow foot (also, I think the shoes I wear tend to run sized a little small).

The skates feel great otherwise. I feel very tight and secure throughout the foot, once I have the suckers laced up hard. The problem arises specifically in the ankle, which has too much side to side wiggle room (as is the case with about any piece of footwear for me). Bulking up should help some, but I've had problems with that even when I was in much better shape. Unfortunately, I had about the same problem with every skate I tried, new or used. As mentioned, this is far and away from a new thing for me.

I might toss on a 3rd pair of socks and see if that helps. Does anyone know of any specific gear to help with a thin ankle or an unusually narrow foot? Not sure where breaking them in would help, as I've never had footwear shrink width-wise after breaking in (usually the opposite).

Edit: The other 'best' fit I had was some Bauers (don't remember what), size 12. And by best fit I mean as tight as possible width wise while still having room for my toes.


Last edited by Mantha Poodoo: 09-18-2010 at 03:49 AM.
Mantha Poodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 05:57 AM
  #9
Noir
Registered User
 
Noir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver, CAN
Posts: 615
vCash: 500
^

When you put the boot on unlaced, does the material at the ankle "V" out hard? It was like that with my 9K before it got broken in. Even when I laced it up tight, the material, because it was still stiff, was pushing outward.

I believe hockey skates are stiffer the higher-end you go, so if it's a case of a stiff boot, it really will just take time for the material to soften up and wrap around your foot easy instead of having the tendency to spread open and push apart your laces.

(if that is the case)



And no, don't wear 3 pairs of socks. Proper fitment should only be 1 sock and no filler.

Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 07:35 AM
  #10
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wheeled Winger View Post
I'm not sure these skates are bake friendly or not (Amp 6's, bought used, guessing '99 model). Need to do some research on that.

In regards to another comment about length, my toes were about ready to burst out of several pairs of 11s (various brands). I probably couldn't even fit into a 10.5 or a 10. I should probably clarify that my shoe size is probably more around a 12.5 (maybe 13), but I wear 12s for a little extra tightness so they don't slip off my narrow foot (also, I think the shoes I wear tend to run sized a little small).

The skates feel great otherwise. I feel very tight and secure throughout the foot, once I have the suckers laced up hard. The problem arises specifically in the ankle, which has too much side to side wiggle room (as is the case with about any piece of footwear for me). Bulking up should help some, but I've had problems with that even when I was in much better shape. Unfortunately, I had about the same problem with every skate I tried, new or used. As mentioned, this is far and away from a new thing for me.

I might toss on a 3rd pair of socks and see if that helps. Does anyone know of any specific gear to help with a thin ankle or an unusually narrow foot? Not sure where breaking them in would help, as I've never had footwear shrink width-wise after breaking in (usually the opposite).

Edit: The other 'best' fit I had was some Bauers (don't remember what), size 12. And by best fit I mean as tight as possible width wise while still having room for my toes.
OK, sounds like you have the right length. I would try a thicker or additional footbed/insert to use up some of the excess volume. (superfeet etc) You could try a third sock, but of course this is far from ideal, just making the best (hopefully) of a bad fit.

Another quick makeshift idea that is not ideal is 2-4 wraps of shinpad tape just above the top eyelet. It has some give but can provide slight additional lateral support.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 08:41 AM
  #11
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,250
vCash: 800
Do you have flat feet? Because I do and I played like 20 years of hockey and to be honest my ankle were always loose due to the form they make becuase of my feet.They kind of turn inward and the only thing I was able to do was to tape it to the maximum.3 or 4 turn of tape.I will never feel as great as someone with normal ankle/feet but i'm still a pretty good player , but probably less than if I had a good arch.Good luck

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 08:48 AM
  #12
Blueland89
Registered User
 
Blueland89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cartersville, Ga
Country: United States
Posts: 2,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Your skates are too big. Obviously you know they are too wide, but aren't they too long as well?

I'm not familiar with the mission fit but a 12D foot would typically fit in a 10D or 10.5D in most skates. An 11.5D would be both too long and too wide (for them, and you are even narrower) as they (most 11.5Ds) are proportionally wider than a 10D or 10.5D...

Not sure where you would get 10A or 10.5A skates, but you probably haven't even got close too the narrowest "off the shelf" skates that will fit your feet lengthwise since 10D's are widely available.

With a 10D or 10.5D an extra sock and bigger footbed added might help, but you really need to be properly fitted...
actually I think Mission are sized the same as your shoe size

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 04:02 PM
  #13
pass the bisk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: United States
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
Just a quick note: ALWAYS GET SKATES BAKED!!!!!

pass the bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 04:50 PM
  #14
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard
 
Mantha Poodoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,912
vCash: 500
Thanks to both Crosbyfan and Reen. I'm going to have to try taping. And more specifically to Reen, yea, I do have somewhat flat feet. Flat, long, narrow. As I said, skis. Since taping works for you I'm going to have to give that a shot. The inwards turning is what I tend to get.

I'll have to check out footbeds/inserts as well.

Mantha Poodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 09:30 PM
  #15
Pierre Gotye
Registered User
 
Pierre Gotye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 500
You may have a pro-nating foot. If you don't get good support on your ankle, it's because your most important lace, the one which is in the corner of your boot right in the upper-arch area between the top of your foot and ankle isn't getting proper support. Try to make it tighter.

I don't have a problem with my right foot, but my skate tongue on my left foot always slides off it and thus, my foot/ankle area never seems to be feel stiff or right enough. Only on a rare occasion do I get it to 'feel' right.

Does your skate tongue not stay centered on your foot when you play? Others have mentioned skate baking, but you may need to get your skate boots punched out around the outside area of the ball of your foot, to give you better foot positioning.

Only you know your foot. You need to tell us if you have a high or low arch, a wide, narrow or flat foot, and if you have any foot problems like pro-nation, hammer-toes, bunions or such. They will affect your skates/skating.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 11:03 PM
  #16
J22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,826
vCash: 814
Maybe give something like these a try?
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=SAT

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:10 AM
  #17
MoonlightGraham
Registered User
 
MoonlightGraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,476
vCash: 500
Maybe have try to get the end of your shin pads reach into the top of the boot of your skates?

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 11:13 AM
  #18
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master
 
nystromshairstylist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deking past you
Country: Barbados
Posts: 867
vCash: 500
Is there a way to keep the tongue from shifting to the outside? I wonder if this is a reason why the skate feels less stable at times.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 02:00 PM
  #19
frito
Registered User
 
frito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Country: United States
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
I'm not familiar with the mission fit but a 12D foot would typically fit in a 10D or 10.5D in most skates. An 11.5D would be both too long and too wide (for them, and you are even narrower) as they (most 11.5Ds) are proportionally wider than a 10D or 10.5D...
Actually, unlike all other brands, Mission skates run the same as shoe size so there is no need to size down as you would with a Bauer, CCM, Etc.

Maybe try either Graf as they seem to have a skate for every foot imaginable or maybe a CCM U-Pro. i've seen some other posts that these tend to be too narrow in the ankles for most people to the point they need to punched out.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:12 PM
  #20
Trojan35
Registered User
 
Trojan35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,493
vCash: 500
Sounds like they're too big. Here's another suggestion: lace them up as tight as you can the night before (not on your ankles), then try them the next day. Might help you out if the problem is the ankle tightness.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 02:07 PM
  #21
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,032
vCash: 500
Yes, the skates sound too big. Unfortunately, if they are too big in the ankles, they will never work properly. You might be able to get additional foam or padding to build up the ankle area, but even better would be to get proper fitting skates.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 03:27 PM
  #22
PDX Coyotes
 
PDX Coyotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon
Country: United States
Posts: 153
vCash: 500
I tried a different way to lace up that helped. Check it out.

If that doesn't help, maybe try wearing your shin guards on the outside of your tongues, and taping them around your ankles (over the sock).

PDX Coyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.