HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canada with too much skill...

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2004, 08:11 PM
Brisson11

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Canada with too much skill?...

First off, I have a little trivia for you guys:

What was the salary cap for NHL teams in 1933? (and if you've seen the answer on cbc don't answer )

Secondly, I wanna talk about the idea of a second canadian team for the Olympics. WE have so much skill we could make two solid teams: http://www.tsn.ca/world_cup_hockey/n...y.asp?id=84023

Do you think this is possible? And if so, who would be on your second canadian team who isn't already on the one chosen today?

Lastly, I have this poster in my room with theo in it and a former Habs player #34, do any of you know who this is? It's driving me nuts!!!

Old
05-15-2004, 08:46 PM
Frank Drebin

Sergei Zholtok used to wear 34 for the habs.....

Old
05-15-2004, 08:51 PM
BigFatPapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisson11
Lastly, I have this poster in my room with theo in it and a former Habs player #34, do any of you know who this is? It's driving me nuts!!!
Probably Sergei Zholtok, might also be Peter Popovic but I doubt that Theodore would be on a poster in 1998, Popovic's last year with the Habs. My money's on Zholtok

About the second canadian team, I think we got the talent but it would kind of denaturalize(is that a word?) the Olympics, wouldn't it? Still it shows how much Canada is THE hockey country around the world

EDIT : Officer Jim Lahey, you beat me to it...screw you

Old
05-15-2004, 08:55 PM
prabak11

Send a message via MSN to prabak11 Send a message via Yahoo to prabak11
who would make the decision on if canada will have 2 teams or not?
and has this ever happened before?

Old
05-15-2004, 11:14 PM
not quite yoda

Well in Olympic figure skating and gymnastics and bobsledding and such... some countries have several representatives. But I don't know if Hockey is the same deal. Olympic soccer never has 2 teams from the same country, softball, etc...

And if Canada did get 2, where do you draw the line? Russia could have 2. Then the Germans may want 2. It makes more sense to each have 1.

Old
05-16-2004, 12:45 AM
Brett38

# 34 I think was Zholtok. I also think some time ago it was used by Donald Dufrense...don't know how to spell his last name.

What # did Laflamme where with his short stay with the Habs?

Old
05-16-2004, 08:01 AM
TomasPlekanec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett38
# 34 I think was Zholtok. I also think some time ago it was used by Donald Dufrense...don't know how to spell his last name.

What # did Laflamme where with his short stay with the Habs?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...000452000.html

Old
05-16-2004, 09:34 AM
HABitude

Team canada can have two teams and still be able to win gold and silver.
Keith Primeau is not selected and he is still a dominant player in playoffs games now. He's not just a big player, he's a player very hard to play against in PO. He's average in regular season and top notch in PO.

Old
05-16-2004, 10:54 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
And if Canada did get 2, where do you draw the line? Russia could have 2. Then the Germans may want 2. It makes more sense to each have 1.
The World Cup could be the qualifying rounds for the Olympics.

The problem with two Canadian teams is that it opens the door to even more teams. What if Canada does finish first and second, and realize they have enough talent to ice a third team that can compete?

Does Team Canada Version One get all the initial selections then Version Two and possibly Versions Three and Four in the future pick up the pieces, or is there a draft?

If Canada had multiple hockey teams in the Olympics, that would mean another country would be relegated and out of the Olympics and future World Cups. This could have a very negative impact on developing hockey nations--which is exactly what hockey doesn't need right now.

So while it's a nice thought to pump up our nationalism and show off our depth, it would be a step in the wrong direction for hockey as a whole.

Old
05-16-2004, 12:54 PM
Natural Habs Fan

I think Canada could have 3 or 4 teams. The third & fourth teams wouldn't be as good as the first two but I'm sure they could handle most of the other world teams out there.

Old
05-16-2004, 01:49 PM
tritone

Participation
Only National Olympic Committees (NOCs) recognized by the International Olympic Committee (IOC), whose national Ice Hockey federation is a member of the IIHF are entitled to enter their national team, if the team has qualified.
Only competitors who comply with the conditions stipulated in the Olympic Charter and in the IIHF Eligibility By-laws are entitled to participate in the tournament.

Qualification System
In accordance with the qualification system approved by the IIHF Stockholm Congress 1995, 14 men's teams and 6 women's teams are allowed to participate in the Olympic Ice Hockey Tournament.

SO. Out of 14 teams what do you think the chances are that the IOC would allow 1 country to have 2 teams?
Furthermore , the OIC rules clearly indicate that the olympics are for NON-PROFESSIONAL athletes . They are already bending the rules for Hockey and Basketball (Dream Teams) what are the chances they would allow the rules to be bent even further and allow Canada to have TWO non-amateur teams?

Old
05-16-2004, 05:17 PM
Beakermania*

It would never happen in the Olympics or the World Championships, but why not for a world cup.

It is very apparent that their are 7 elite hockey nations who can compete in this tournament (Canada, U.S., Swedes, Russians, Czechs, Fins, Slovaks) I don't even know for sure who is the eighth team to fill out the tourney, Germany (kolzig, Sturm and who else on this roster) ??

Since the World Cup is an NHL/NHLPA venture not an IOC or IIHF tourney why can't we have a second team from one country next time the event is run. Which country gets to ice two teams?? Simple just make it the defending champs from the last tourney.

Closed Thread