HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you bring back Koivu or Kovalev or Higgins or any other former hab?

Old
05-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Captain Gorges

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post

If Emelin is not ready for the NHL
It was my understanding that Emelin is more then ready for the NHL, but that he did not express the intention of coming over. Was i wrong ?

Last edited by Captain Gorges: 05-30-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Captain Gorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 09:55 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

like Saku, but we turned the page, move on...

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Stradale

Props to the media for making Koivu look like a bad player/captain to Habs fans after leaving. I just can't believe the bitterness of some people here toward Saku Koivu.

You want to bash Koivu, ok, bring your arguments and facts. Not the bullcrap the media creates to make Saku look bad.

People actually makes him look like a cancer, that if he comes back, it will some reason, destroy the chemistry of the team. Why would he take so much place in the locker? I don't get that at all. Some explain it to me. He is a leader, believe it or not, if he is respected in the locker, there's nothing wrong with that? You guys makes it look like a bad things for Saku because he's a respected player in the locker.

Having Koivu would also make Gomez works his ass off more often, not just the final game of the season. Yeah Gomez played one hell of a game on game 5 but it was too late, if he gave and constant effort like his linemate did, maybe we could be in the SCF right now. But of course, people will only remember Gomez last game and say he was one hell of a player in the playoffs.

Last edited by Stradale: 05-30-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
Saku is god.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Sakuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 10:28 AM
habdynasty

No not a chance

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 10:31 AM
MoonlightGraham

No way. I'd much rather keep Plekanec or trade for a better center than Koivu if Plekanec leaves. And I don't think he would make a good 3rd line center. He's getting older and he's injury prone. And about his leadership, none of us know what was going on inside that room but for so many years when he was there we heard of clicks and bad atmosphere in the locker room, and then this year everything worked out well and the guys had a great chemistry. I'm not saying it was his fault, but I just don't see any reason to bring him back for leadership/chemistry reasons. Our leadership group is perfect as it is. Things will be even better next year as it won't be a new team anymore.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 10:33 AM
RE-HABS

We have a great team chemistry and new leaders have emerged such as Gorges and Markov, and then we have added new leaders in Gill, Gomez, Cammarelli and Gionta.

Bringing him back would one probably cause some dressing room issues due to the Captaincy and his role on the team, and the Habs obviously went a new route by letting all 10-11 UFA's walk last year.

This wasn't just a Gainey choice, his Assistants and Coaching staff also played party into the decision, so the New GM in Gauthier wouldn't be on board or Martin.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
We have a great team chemistry and new leaders have emerged such as Gorges and Markov, and then we have added new leaders in Gill, Gomez, Cammarelli and Gionta.

Bringing him back would one probably cause some dressing room issues due to the Captaincy and his role on the team, and the Habs obviously went a new route by letting all 10-11 UFA's walk last year.

This wasn't just a Gainey choice, his Assistants and Coaching staff also played party into the decision, so the New GM in Gauthier wouldn't be on board or Martin.
Exactly. We finally have a real team chemistry with real leaders.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sign Koivu, let Plekanec walk, use money to sign Volchenkov.

Pipe dream. I doubt Saku is willing to come back, I read (in the Ducks board) he's already discussing a new contract to stay in Anaheim.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:36 AM
JackZap

took us 10 yrs to clean up the room, lets not tarnish it

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:53 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Only if he doesn't expect to be captain.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 12:29 PM
jepjepjoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I love the guy and what he did for this team, his heart and determination but no. The team has moved on and I see no reason to bring him back. Add to that he had a very average season from what I understand, what would be the point?

I don't agree simply because as I stated the team has moved on and we have young guys in Hamilton knocking on the door for cheaper and we need every penny of the cap space as is.
1 Corey Perry 82gp 27g 49a 76p
2 Ryan Getzlaf 66gp 19g 50a 69p
3 Bobby Ryan 81gp 35g 29a 64p
4 Saku Koivu 71gp 19g 33a 52p
5 Teemu Selanne 54gp 27g 21a 48p

+/-:

1 Saku Koivu +14
2 Sheldon Brookbank +10
3 Bobby Ryan +9
4 Ryan Getzlaf +4
5 George Parros +4

Game winning goals:

1 Saku Koivu 6
2 Teemu Selanne 5
3 Ryan Getzlaf 5
4 Bobby Ryan 3
5 Matt Beleskey 3

Overtime goals:

1 Saku Koivu 2
2 Scott Niedermayer 1

Faceoffs:

1 Saku Koivu 51.4%
2 Todd Marchant 49.9%
3 Kyle Chipchura 47.9%
4 Ryan Getzlaf 47.4%

Shooting%:

1 Teemu Selanne 15.6
2 Saku Koivu 15.3
3 Bobby Ryan 13.6
4 Ryan Getzlaf 12.8
5 Todd Marchant 10.8

jepjepjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Captain Saku

yes yes and yes

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 12:32 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post
I would bring back Kovalev before Koivu.
Why would you want to make the team worse?

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 02:08 PM
De Montreal
help

Well, it's not happening.

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post

Wait wait wait.. are you saying we don't need anymore leader because we already have enough leaders? So if a guy like Doan or Iginla is on the market, you wouldn't want him because you are scared that it will affect our chemistry? I don't get this... you guys talk like Koivu is a cancer in a lockeroom. We are talking about Koivu here, not Kovalev.

If Kovalchuk wants to sign here, should we refuse him because we already have scorers in Cammalleri and Gionta on the top two lines and bringing Kovalchuk will make the other have less chance to score?

Having a warrior like Saku Koivu on third line should be a luxury for almost every team in this league... We are talking about a third line center here, not 2nd or 1st. We could afford to have a Metropolit/Moore as a third center this season, I don't see why Koivu couldn't be better than them. Put Pouliot and Andrei with Saku, Im sure he will make them produce.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Worst Habs captain ever? Wouldn't take him back for free? We're talking about Koivu, right?

The next time anyone tells me how "knowledgeable" Habs fans are, I'm going to show them the replies in this thread. Never have so many people with so little knowledge come together like this.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:17 PM
lynx

Absolutely, he will be a great third line centre for somebody, why not us? Just don't give him the C and all would be good. I'd sign him for 2 years.

lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Flambergius

No for Koivu coming back in this summer.

Koivu was a pretty good second line center for the Ducks this year, he's going to be a second line center for somebody next year and he'll cost more than 2M.

Now, come trade deadline and if we find ourselves in need of a center for a deep run, well, that's a whole another matter.

Flambergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:43 PM
GordonGraham

Hell no

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:54 PM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

Why not?

At 40 K, he could carry Halak's bags

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 04:01 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
And in those 10 years when the Habs sucked giant balls Koivu was the only consistent player and never complained about the fact the organization was run by idiots.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
Yeah, I'm sure we keep him for 10 years even tho that bad. Too much 110% for you buddy. Go on the Ducks board and see how much they love him. Most of them even wants him as their next captain over Getzlaf if Niedermayer retires.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 04:19 PM
crystal ball

What about Higgins?

I'm happy with the guys Gainey brought in last summer, in terms of their character and the way they conduct themselves on and off the ice, and I usually don't support the idea of re-hiring guys who didn't work out in Montreal the first time. But there's no doubt the secondary scoring could use an upgrade, and it would have to be cheap. With that in mind, what do you think of bringing Chris Higgins back?

It's obvious a guy doesn't just put up twenty-plus goals in his first three NHL seasons, then fall off the radar, unless he's got some issue outside hockey. Some say Higgins head got to big, some say he partied too much. But I wonder now that he's been humbled by getting traded twice in a single year, if he's come back down to earth? Maybe his falling star might make him reestablish his priorities. He's fast, can put up points when he's on his game and is very good defensively. He's not small either. We saw some of the best of him just before he was traded, when Carbo had realized he's not a top line player and started using him on the third. I think he'd be a good addition to the Habs third line, and based on his poor showing in the last couple of years, would probably come cheap. Of course, that's ONLY if he's dealt with whatever problems that took him off his game in the first place.

crystal ball is offline   Reply With Quote