HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez's Personality

Old
10-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
Gomez's Personality

Could his personality be a perfect thing for Montréal ? His doesn't care attitude and likes to crack jokes and will even take a "shot" (for lack of a better word) at a media person.

Does it help act as a lightning rode to deflect some pressure off the team and essentially ground it out ?

On a sidenote, I say essentially, essentially all the time.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Habskrieg

Whoever the person is, one can only take soo much abuse and harassment from the fans...
I like the guy, he's great. But if the fans get on his back, for what ever reason, he'll cave eventually...

Habskrieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:22 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

I wanna be his friend. Srsly.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
It's a good point when you look at it. Not that I really care what the media says, it can affect some players on the team, mainly the young ones. So to have a guy like Gomez go on TV and say "ah **** you", it makes a lighter approach for everyone.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:26 PM
shamrun

its refreshing, kind of shows a friendlier side i suppose.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:48 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

I wish I was his mom.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
G-Love.

enough said.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 12:50 AM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Could his personality be a perfect thing for Montréal ? His doesn't care attitude and likes to crack jokes and will even take a "shot" (for lack of a better word) at a media person.

Does it help act as a lightning rode to deflect some pressure off the team and essentially ground it out ?

You mean just like Mike Ribeiro?!
In his case though, he doesn't take many shifts off.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 01:14 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
Whoever the person is, one can only take soo much abuse and harassment from the fans...
I like the guy, he's great. But if the fans get on his back, for what ever reason, he'll cave eventually...
2 cup rings alrdy under his belt, and 35 million more bucks comin his way? he will never, cave.

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 01:16 AM
Hugo Sham

he was great on the CJAD radio-cast vs Florida. very funny in the booth with moffatt and momesso

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 01:46 AM
Habskrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
2 cup rings alrdy under his belt, and 35 million more bucks comin his way? he will never, cave.
I meant more like, he would want to go somewhere else.

Habskrieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:26 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

some excerpts from Gomez' s stint with CJAD: http://www.cjad.com/Blog/HabsNews/bl...tryID=10144711

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 09:02 AM
WestIslander

Quote:

If I was making over $7,000,000.00 US a year and working only 8 months (average) per year I would be laid back, laughing, joking, taking it easy and smiling all the time too.

Another thing is that if your too tense and wound up in this market, they will eat you alive! You need to ''go with the flow'' and take everything with a grain of salt.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:18 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Fan don't care enough about player's personnality... unless they're in goal. Essentially.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Habbadasher

This summer I went to Alaska and met a guy who went to high school in Anchorage at the same time as Gomez . . . let's just say that everyone from Alaska is pretty relaxed, and can just go with the flow. It is the nature of the people there.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Souvenirs

Gomez is cool. I'd have a beer with the guy.

But let's not kid ourselves, he pulls it off because he's Gomez. I don't this people would have reacted well if Koivu acted like Gomez does.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:15 AM
LyricalLyricist

Easy to act relax when you make 7.3 million a year and know you can't be traded no matter how you act(to an extent). I'm joking by the way. He's a good guy, and good teammate. Lightens up the mood. I like him, if he had a better contract i'd love him.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Easy to act relax when you make 7.3 million a year and know you can't be traded no matter how you act(to an extent). I'm joking by the way. He's a good guy, and good teammate. Lightens up the mood. I like him, if he had a better contract i'd love him.
I am a big fan of Gomez's subtly entertaining game, but for Gomez' salary and lack of big production numbers he could easily be everyone's go to guy for super hate (another Latendresse or Price, both players I also think get a raw deal).

Gomez' though has managed to get the media on his side by charming them. Doesn't take much to make yourself likeable, smile a lot, learn their names, crack jokes, bring them some donuts, but it is a social ability that not everyone has.

It does show you though how much of this insanity is fueled by the media and how dumb are the 95% of Habs fans that eat it up. Gomez has dodged heat he would be an obvious target for because the media love him. Price, Latendresse, etc. had no such charms (lack of social experience, more insulated personalities) and have been excoriated.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 12:00 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
I am a big fan of Gomez's subtly entertaining game, but for Gomez' salary and lack of big production numbers he could easily be everyone's go to guy for super hate (another Latendresse or Price, both players I also think get a raw deal).

Gomez' though has managed to get the media on his side by charming them. Doesn't take much to make yourself likeable, smile a lot, learn their names, crack jokes, bring them some donuts, but it is a social ability that not everyone has.

It does show you though how much of this insanity is fueled by the media and how dumb are the 95% of Habs fans that eat it up. Gomez has dodged heat he would be an obvious target for because the media love him. Price, Latendresse, etc. had no such charms (lack of social experience, more insulated personalities) and have been excoriated.
To an extent, I believe in montreal, people like to fabricate stories and opinions. Making articles about "7.3 million" everytime isn't very artistic or interesting. They have very little dirt about the guy, because his contract and everyone already knows. He's a good player and they won't mess with a veteran who has cup rings and that personality. He's a hard worker, they can't really find much to say. Some media types like Gomez just because it marked end of Koivu era. That's how it is.

Price, latendresse and so on, while not the most charasmatic, were youngsters and still are. Media and fans love to eat them up and spit them out. I remember when people praised price for being calm and collected, now people attack him for appearing to not care enough and be calm. lol The media writes what people want to hear, controversy...these kids are easy targets because we all have high hopes for them.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Newhabfan

The guy comes out of a decent year point wise, and the best playoff run this team has seen in decades.

Let's see how his personality will help him after, say, he get 35 points in a season and the Habs miss the playoffs. What seems funny this summer will be "outrageous". The media hounds can't wait to take shots at him. How were his seasons with the Rangers btw, media wise ?

Remeber how people loved everyone in the team after our "top of the east" season. Or the rollercoaster that is Plekanec' popularity.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Turboflex*

Counterpoint is Koivu who even though he consistently played well (and was a very active humaitarian off the ice), and had tons of fans, he never really could charm the media and always seemed to get more flak than he deserved. I guess you could say the C put focus on him but it always seemed like the media had it in for him more than they should've. If he was able to be as chummy with reporters as Gomez is he could've probably had a smoother ride.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:09 PM
chillmat

Why when ANY kind of topic on Scott Gomez is created, whatever the subject is, someone always has to talk about his damn salary. I mean, do you really care how much money he does?! We're talking about the guy's personality here, not his on-ice performances related to his salary...

chillmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Every office tower has a guy that's refreshing, why can't we have that on our hockey team.

Hey I might be that arse in my group, and people seem to enjoy smiling.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:13 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillmat View Post
Why when ANY kind of topic on Scott Gomez is created, whatever the subject is, someone always has to talk about his damn salary. I mean, do you really care how much money he does?! We're talking about the guy's personality here, not his on-ice performances related to his salary...
I see u brought out the fancy font for the occasion

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
I see u brought out the fancy font for the occasion

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote