HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

EA Sports NHL Slapshot for Wii

Old
05-30-2010, 04:53 AM
bcrt2000

vCash: 500
EA Sports NHL Slapshot for Wii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tilley, canoe.ca

As we reveal in today’s QMI Agency newspapers and wesbites, Wayne Gretzky is returning to the NHL… in a manner of speaking. Not as a player or coach or owner, but as cover athlete and an in-game player for EA Sports’ long-awaited NHL hockey debut on the Wii.

Take your first look at EA Sports NHL Slapshot. And no, the Hanson Brothers are not involved. We think.

The game hasn’t officially been announced yet – EA plans to unveil it tomorrow – but I had the chance to talk to lead producer Joe Nickolls, creative director David Littman and even Gretzky himself about the game, which is being developed at the EA studios in Burnaby, B.C., by many of the same team members who worked on NHL 10 and this fall’s NHL 11. It’ll hit stores on Sept. 7, alongside NHL 11 for the Xbox 360 and PS3.

It’s hard to say what the biggest news is here. That EA is finally doing their first NHL game for the Wii, challenging 2K Sports on their previously exclusive turf? That Gretzky is involved as the cover athlete and in-game playable character? Or that NHL Slapshot will use a minature hockey stick peripheral that ships with each copy of the game?

Yeah, I’m gonna say it’s the stick. Because if this thing works, it could be a crazy amount of fun. If it doesn’t work, it’ll be yet another hunk of plastic discarded next to those silly third-party tennis racket add-ons, the original Guitar Hero II controller and the Tony Hawk: Ride skateboard.

EA, not surprisingly, vows the 21-inch/53-cm stick peripheral that ships with each game will revolutionize video game hockey. But Nickolls makes the point that the stick is the first third-party controller peripheral that Nintendo has approved for inclusion with a game, and that EA’s NHL franchise is too valuable to sabotage with a gimmick that doesn’t live up to its promise.

Nickolls says that because the stick peripheral holds both the Nunchuk (in the butt end of the stick, with the analog stick used for moving your player) and the Wiimote (further down the shaft, with the trigger used as a modifier to execute certain moves), it’s more accurate than the Wiimote alone.

“Because you’re getting two signals sent to the Wii, it triangulates the signal. So it basically gives you more accuracy,” Nickolls says, adding that WiiMotion Plus won’t be supported by NHL Slapshot because it’s essentially not needed.

The stick peripheral will detect slap shots, wrist shots, body checks (done with a cross-check motion) and poke checks, with the Wiimote’s trigger used as a modifier to perform passes, dekes and other moves. The game can also be played with the Wiimote and Nunchuk alone, or even just the Wiimote.

A lot of us Canuck kids, myself included, started playing hockey in elementary school. Fittingly, NHL Slapshot’s “Peewees to Pros” career mode starts you off as a 12-year-old of our own design (or you can step into the skates of a very young Gretzky, Sidney Crosby and the like) and lets you work your way from Peewee to Bantam to Junior to Pro, watching your player grow, age and acquire skills along the way.

It actually ends up being the most in-depth Be a Pro Mode that any EA Sports game has ever had, because you go from 12 years old to 40 years old,” Littman says.

EA hasn’t announced a final price for NHL Slapshot, but the suggestion is it will cost roughly what EA Sports Active sells for ($60 at launch) and will ship in a box the exact same size as EA Sports Active’s. The stick will come in three snap-together pieces, including the dense foam blade that will (hopefully) limit the number of injuries during living room Stanley Cup finals.

Interestingly, Littman – who briefly played in the NHL as a goaltender for both the Buffalo Sabres and Tampa Bay Lightning – thinks NHL Slapshot could even help kids learn real-world hockey skills.

“Kids are going to be able to play the game, and get some real life practice in, but at home,” Littman tells me. “You start learning offsides, you start learning when to take a slapshot and when to take a wrist shot, you start learning when to check, when to poke check.”

“You can also play goalie,” Littman says – Vancovuer Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo is one of the players you can take from shinny pond tyke to NHL superstar – to which Nickolls laughs, “We always say you can play as a goalie, but why would you want to?”

And Gretzky? “EA always makes a great game,” Gretzky tells me, which isn’t a terribly unusual thing to hear from the guy being paid to be on the game’s box. But it gets his stamp of approval. “I’ve had a chance to play it, and it’s one of the more realistic games I’ve seen a long time. For me, my kids love to play and they enjoy it immensely.”

Gretzky wears his classic blue and orange Oilers jersey in the publicity stills for the game, and as a born and bred Edmontonian (true story: Gretzky’s ex-girlfriend’s sister used to babysit me), I had to ask him, will the basement-dwelling Oil ever again hoist Lord Stanley’s hardware?

“Absolutely,” Gretzky says. “They have a great organization. They have a good owner who’s an Edmontonian that cares about the team becoming successful, and they have a great fans, a tremendous fan base. Eventually one day again they will win another championship.”

Meantime, I’ll take the Oilers to the Cup myself. Using a miniature hockey stick.
Source: http://blogs.canoe.ca/loadthis/gener...ot/#more-13851

Last edited by bcrt2000: 05-30-2010 at 02:33 PM.
bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 05:15 AM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
At first I thought it was cool, then I saw the stick and thought it was retarded, then I read the bolded line.

Not entirely sold on the prospect of having four people waving sticks around the living room, but playing through a player's life rather than simply his career will be crazy.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 05:27 AM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
At first I thought it was cool, then I saw the stick and thought it was retarded, then I read the bolded line.

Not entirely sold on the prospect of having four people waving sticks around the living room, but playing through a player's life rather than simply his career will be crazy.
It says in the article that you can play with the nunchuk and wiimote alone or just the wiimote so I assume that means the stick is optional

Old
05-30-2010, 06:35 AM
SomeoneGreat

The extensive Be-A-Pro is something I've always wanted, and I really didn't think I would first see it on the Wii.

SomeoneGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
way to ruin 2K Sports...

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

And they never heard of 2K again.....

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 12:18 PM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
way to ruin 2K Sports...
lol seriously. If this is loaded with most of the features from NHL 11 it will be the death knell for 2k hockey games. And I wouldn't be surprised if EA puts extra resources on this just so they can do that.

edit: wow this thing made the front page of the Toronto Sun

Last edited by bcrt2000: 05-30-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old
05-30-2010, 01:02 PM
IrishSniper87

Darn, you guys beat me to this. I just got the email last night when I was asleep telling me I can post the article.

Anyway, I played this game at the NHL11 Community Event, however I was not allowed to discuss it, so you wont find me even hint at it in my event recap.

It is a lot of fun. Def a game to play with friends. Very casual.

I can not however talk much about the game beyond what is in the article. So if you have any questions, re-read the article, haha.

Regardless of your opinions on the hockey stick, it is a blast to use.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Darn, you guys beat me to this. I just got the email last night when I was asleep telling me I can post the article.

Anyway, I played this game at the NHL11 Community Event, however I was not allowed to discuss it, so you wont find me even hint at it in my event recap.

It is a lot of fun. Def a game to play with friends. Very casual.

I can not however talk much about the game beyond what is in the article. So if you have any questions, re-read the article, haha.

Regardless of your opinions on the hockey stick, it is a blast to use.
i take it that its really fun to try dekes etc with the hockey stick?

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 01:14 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
i take it that its really fun to try dekes etc with the hockey stick?
Checking another player is the best thing ever. In any videogame. So satisfying.

Old
05-30-2010, 01:22 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Wow... this is so retarded in every way, the way that the kids are NHLers, the hockey stick that holds the controllers in.

Gretzky, you have f_cked up hockey with Phoenix and now for the Wii, worse then 2K

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 01:31 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven93 View Post
Wow... this is so retarded in every way, the way that the kids are NHLers, the hockey stick that holds the controllers in.

Gretzky, you have f_cked up hockey with Phoenix and now for the Wii, worse then 2K
The kids don't have to be NHL'ers. You can make yourself and your friends.

And the stick is pretty nice actually. I have already played this game. Give it a play before you knock it.

Is it the best game ever if you are a hardcore NHL10 player? Maybe not. But will it grab the more casual hockey audience and help promote the NHL series itself.

Old
05-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Gretzky looks creepy.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Ovielanche

I have to wonder when playing, how many games you play before finally getting old enough to be in the NHL. It would take forever probably. But it does sound like fun, and if I had a Wii I'd get this and NHL 11 for my 360. I also have to wonder how you would play goalie? (I love playing goalie on NHL 10, so I'd be one to try it on this)

Ovielanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Snipeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovielanche View Post
I have to wonder when playing, how many games you play before finally getting old enough to be in the NHL. It would take forever probably. But it does sound like fun, and if I had a Wii I'd get this and NHL 11 for my 360. I also have to wonder how you would play goalie? (I love playing goalie on NHL 10, so I'd be one to try it on this)
Peewee and Bantam seasons are much shorter in length, so I can't imagine it would be THAT much longer.

Can you deke with the stick? From the article, I got that you deke and pass with the actual Wiimote. Or, do you press a button on the Wiimote so that you can perform a pass or deke using the stick. And you press the button so that the stick isn't triggered to shoot?

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:51 PM
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan

So this is, finally, a legitimate EA hockey game for Wii?
Thank God.
Wait, it does have an NHL and NHLPA license, right? Call me paranoid but I never thought I'd see this day, so I have a feeling it could all be too good to be true.

Last edited by The Bored Man: 05-30-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Spelling fail.
The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 04:07 PM
bcrt2000

This is pre-rendered but this apparently is the in-game model which is JAW Droppingly amazing (was posted by EA on facebook)

I feel sorry for 2K now.

Old
05-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrt2000 View Post
This is pre-rendered but this apparently is the in-game model which is JAW Droppingly amazing (was posted by EA on facebook)

I feel sorry for 2K now.
WOW, for Wii graphics that is insane.

Old
05-30-2010, 04:44 PM
dmarc
SENS!!!!!!!

Hyped that an EA game is coming out for Wii, I bought 2k9 played it for 10 minutes then decided it was crap.

Ive played NHL09 on my comp to deaths end, something like 8 dynasties

Hopefully there is a dynasty or BAGM mode because those gameplays are my fave

dmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
and that EA’s NHL franchise is too valuable to sabotage with a gimmick that doesn’t live up to its promise.
These guys obviously didn't play NHL10.

and I definitely lawld hard when I saw

how the **** can a 5 foot tall kid perform a perfect hip-check?

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 05:34 PM
VelvetJones

"Nothing is plugged in dad"

stolen from gaf

Last edited by VelvetJones: 05-30-2010 at 05:39 PM.
VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Mhoogasian94123

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post

"Nothing is plugged in dad"

stolen from gaf
The kid is blue looks annoyed. What's Gretz's hand doing over the girls mouth/face?

Mhoogasian94123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 06:05 PM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhoogasian94123 View Post
The kid is blue looks annoyed. What's Gretz's hand doing over the girls mouth/face?
photoshopped

Old
05-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Mhoogasian94123

I know. I just thought it looked a little weird.

Mhoogasian94123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
These guys obviously didn't play NHL10.

and I definitely lawld hard when I saw

how the **** can a 5 foot tall kid perform a perfect hip-check?
What was the gimmick that didn't live up to the hype in NHL 10?