HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

EA Sports NHL Slapshot for Wii

Old
05-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Dylonus

vCash: 500
I don't get it?

I think this is a neat idea. Why are you all flaming it

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 08:07 PM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
how the **** can a 5 foot tall kid perform a perfect hip-check?
I was throwing hip checks in roller hockey when I was probably barely four feet tall...

Anyway, Irish, you say it'll draw the casual crowd but I'm hoping there are some sliders/settings for sim play. Though with any luck this'll finally get my wife into video game hockey. EA may provide harmony in my (and many other) home... scary though.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Earl Sweatshirt

Man the Be a Pro looks sick, might get it just for that. Btw, when i was in peewee around 5'4 I layed a kid out with a pretty dirty hipcheck.

Earl Sweatshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 10:04 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
I was throwing hip checks in roller hockey when I was probably barely four feet tall...

Anyway, Irish, you say it'll draw the casual crowd but I'm hoping there are some sliders/settings for sim play. Though with any luck this'll finally get my wife into video game hockey. EA may provide harmony in my (and many other) home... scary though.
My time with the game was more focused on gameplay actually. We were there to play NHL 11 after all, so we got limited time with NHL Slapshot.

I think it's def more casual as far as gameplay goes, but it's fun for everyone. I am not sure about sliders, I didn't have a chance to dive into the options at all.

Hardcore players will be better off with NHL 11 though, but this game has it's own charm. I encourage everyone to try it before they knock it.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:39 PM
FlyersCup08

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
My time with the game was more focused on gameplay actually. We were there to play NHL 11 after all, so we got limited time with NHL Slapshot.

I think it's def more casual as far as gameplay goes, but it's fun for everyone. I am not sure about sliders, I didn't have a chance to dive into the options at all.

Hardcore players will be better off with NHL 11 though, but this game has it's own charm. I encourage everyone to try it before they knock it.
Is it more sim (NHL10) or arcade (NHL 3on3)? If you had to choose one as far as gameplay which one does it lean to, or is it dead in the middle?

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 01:32 AM
Saad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
What was the gimmick that didn't live up to the hype in NHL 10?
BE-A-GM: gimmick

Boardplay: gimmick

POV fighting: gimmick

all of them were an abomination

Saad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 02:48 AM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
How is Be a GM a gimmick? It's just a more fleshed out dynasty mode...

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 03:21 AM
Metalcommand

Dear god Wayne what have you done. That picture will be seared in to my mind for years to come. Way too creepy.

Metalcommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 11:39 AM
Saad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
How is Be a GM a gimmick? It's just a more fleshed out dynasty mode...
They said they gutted the old dynasty mode and made it better than ever. The phones, the GM tracker, and the ability to sign contracts with new teams were the only things that changed. Literally the only changes. I wouldn't call that re-vamped by any means. And they talked about how the trade engine was new and improved, which was total bull because they made it worse. It's a total gimmick.

Saad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 12:01 PM
bcrt2000

Quote:
They said they gutted the old dynasty mode and made it better than ever. The phones, the GM tracker, and the ability to sign contracts with new teams were the only things that changed. Literally the only changes. I wouldn't call that re-vamped by any means. And they talked about how the trade engine was new and improved, which was total bull because they made it worse. It's a total gimmick.
I think you interpreted the news wrong. I never remember them saying they gutted anything.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 02:02 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
BE-A-GM: gimmick

Boardplay: gimmick

POV fighting: gimmick

all of them were an abomination
How was the board play a gimmick? It's used all the time in the game, and it works well for the most part.

Fighting in hockey is a gimmick. So of course that is a gimmick in the video game.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 02:04 PM
Snipeshow

Quote:
How is the trading worse?

It's a hell of a lot harder to make a bunch of stupid trades for superstars.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 02:04 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Quote:
Its because anything you do in NHL 10 fails miserably.

Chairman Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 02:45 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
Its because anything you do in NHL 10 fails miserably.
Especially under pressure situations.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 06:01 PM
bcrt2000

Couple of screenshots that AP posted:

They are slightly bullshots, higher resolution than the Wii, but thats basically how the game will look.

Old
05-31-2010, 06:13 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

For a Wii, those look pretty damn good. They look even better then the graphics for NHL2K10 did for the 360/PS3

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 06:13 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

That's actually ridiculously good for the Wii, might buy the system just for that game haha.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Here's another article:

Quote:
EA brings NHL to Wii
‘NHL Slapshot’ to feature Gretzky, hockey stick Wiimote

Wayne Gretzky admits it: The Great One is just an average hockey player.

Well, not really. Only when it comes to EA Sports' National Hockey League franchise coming to the Nintendo Wii in September, just in time for the start of the next season.

“I'd be what would be considered a 10 goal scorer if I was comparing this to the NHL,” the Hockey Hall of Fame player joked in an interview with The Associated Press.

And that's not too good considering that during his 21 years in the NHL Gretzky accumulated a long list of accomplishments and awards and is the only player to have ever recorded 200 points in a season.

Gretzky is also one of the first hockey players to have his name associated with a video game. He is teaming up with EA as it skates into its first version of its NHL for the Wii with “NHL Slapshot.”

For sports fans who grew up dreaming of being Gretzky, this is their chance — hockey stick and all.

Producers of the franchise say “NHL Slapshot” will capitalize on some of the best features from its top-selling PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 teammates, but takes the game even further by using a hockey stick as the controller.

“It's one of the those games that you could sit down and you'll be able to play for hours. It's very realistic ... it's almost like playing in the NHL,” Gretzky said. “People as much as they love to sit down and play video games, they also love to sort of participate and pretend like they're actually playing.”

Gretzky said video games have come a long way since he graced the cover of Nintendo's “Wayne Gretzky Hockey” in 1991. Certainly the graphics are better, the game is more realistic and players have more control over their simulated counterparts on the TV screen.

“It's like the game of hockey itself, the game keeps getting better every 10 years,” Gretzky said. “There's no question the game is better today, which is exciting for everyone.”

For the controller, players fit the Wii Remote and Nunchuk into a hockey stick casing complete with a foam stick blade. Players use the hockey stick to take shots on net, move around players and check opponents into the boards or lift another player's stick. Players also have the ability to play as the goalie using the Wii controllers as the glove and blocker.

“It's just such a natural extension to use the Wii with the motion controls to make a hockey stick,” said David Littman, creative director for EA's NHL franchise, who took one of his most expensive hockey sticks, cut it up and duct-taped the controllers to the stick to make a prototype.

“It doesn't matter if you're 6 years old or 60 years old, when you look at the stick and you put it in your hands, and you take your first slapshot, it doesn't matter what age you are, it just is this incredible experience.”

Among the highlights are the split-screen and minigames, as well as the “Pee Wee to Pro” mode that lets users create a 10-year-old version of themselves playing on a backyard rink and work their way up to the NHL. Players can also choose to play as a “peewee” version of Gretzky and some of hockey's other great stars. Gretzky also serves as a coach in the “Pee Wee to Pro” mode giving players tips to get to the NHL.

“If you are somebody that has loved hockey ... Wayne's pretty much as big as it gets,” said lead producer Joe Nickolls.

And with the new title, EA is again facing off against one of its main opponents, so to speak.

EA's NHL series is among the top five-selling sports games in the world. For years, both EA and 2K Sports created competing NHL franchises for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Then 2K Sports decided to focus its NHL efforts for 2011 on the Wii, ditching versions for the other consoles at least for the year.

“We make games for the consoles when we believe it's right and we're going to make the best game,” Nickolls said. “For sure there's competition from lots of different players for all of our sports games. Yes, we pay attention to them, but it really doesn't change how we make them.”

The technology used for the Wii version also may be a precursor to versions using motion control technology planned for both PlayStation2 and Xbox 360.

“This is going to be a really good test,” Littman said.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1586825/

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/n...hot/index.html

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Randy Butternubs
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

vCash: 370
When I first heard about this, it pissed me off. But the more and more I read about it the more interested I am.

Still disappointed that the Wii won't be getting NHL11.

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:27 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanical View Post
When I first heard about this, it pissed me off. But the more and more I read about it the more interested I am.

Still disappointed that the Wii won't be getting NHL11.
The problem is the Wii is far underpowered for where NHL11 is going with the physics and stuff. They would have to literally dumb down NHL 11 to bring it to the Wii.

Instead they built an entirely new game based on the Wii platform with a slightly different audience in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
Is it more sim (NHL10) or arcade (NHL 3on3)? If you had to choose one as far as gameplay which one does it lean to, or is it dead in the middle?
This is tough. Well, it's the Wii first off, so it's not entirely fair to expect it to be a sim game. It has a different audience in mind.

It's a bit more casual then NHL11, so I would say it's a bit more arcadey, in my opinion at least.

It's not NHL11 on the Wii, but it's a new game built with the Wii in mind. I know this doesn't say a lot, but when you think about it, it makes more sense. The Wii has a different audience, so don't expect NHL 11 and NHL Slapshot to be the same game.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:17 PM
bcrt2000

Some Actual screenshots:

Last edited by bcrt2000: 06-01-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old
06-01-2010, 12:45 PM
The Maple Leaf

I think this is going to blow all past Wii NHL hockey games out of the water. Plus that stick peripheral looks hilarious.

The Maple Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:57 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

I guess they're trying something on the Wii and if it has success, you might see it in the next versions of NHL on PS3 and 360.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indignation View Post
I think this is going to blow all past Wii NHL hockey games out of the water. Plus that stick peripheral looks hilarious.
I thought it was a stapler at first.

Tad McMikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:38 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
The problem is the Wii is far underpowered for where NHL11 is going with the physics and stuff. They would have to literally dumb down NHL 11 to bring it to the Wii.

Instead they built an entirely new game based on the Wii platform with a slightly different audience in mind.

This is tough. Well, it's the Wii first off, so it's not entirely fair to expect it to be a sim game. It has a different audience in mind.

It's a bit more casual then NHL11, so I would say it's a bit more arcadey, in my opinion at least.

It's not NHL11 on the Wii, but it's a new game built with the Wii in mind. I know this doesn't say a lot, but when you think about it, it makes more sense. The Wii has a different audience, so don't expect NHL 11 and NHL Slapshot to be the same game.
Since you've actually held the controller, can you tell me anything about how it's weighted and whether or not it feels good in your hands?

I'm just looking at the blade and I'm wondering if having it that short or having it as a hollow plastic piece is going to detract from the feel of any of the motions.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote