HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

EA Sports NHL Slapshot for Wii

Old
07-28-2010, 01:25 PM
aparch

vCash: 500

Great. Spin-o-rama's are going to run rampant on the Wii. Thank GOD there is no online multi-player games.

aparch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 05:09 PM
jc90
Gonna paint ur wagon

there isn't? aww too bad...

jc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 06:30 AM
xgallantx
Smart enough to win

vCash: 1340
Without reading through all this does anyone know if you can edit rosters? You know, trade players, roster management, create players (not just for that Gretzky career mode). I know you will be able download roster updates online, but EA usually doesn't keep those updates going too long. I like to keep my rosters up-to-date.

xgallantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgallantx View Post
Without reading through all this does anyone know if you can edit rosters? You know, trade players, roster management, create players (not just for that Gretzky career mode). I know you will be able download roster updates online, but EA usually doesn't keep those updates going too long. I like to keep my rosters up-to-date.
Yes I'm pretty sure you can edit rosters. I read that Gretzky is not available in any mode but Pee Wee to Pro.

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 04:47 PM
xgallantx
Smart enough to win

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny8242 View Post
Yes I'm pretty sure you can edit rosters. I read that Gretzky is not available in any mode but Pee Wee to Pro.
Good to know. Thanx

xgallantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Nintendo Power gave it a 6/10.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

IGN gives it a 8/10

http://wii.ign.com/articles/111/1112136p1.html

Not bad for their first Wii game.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 08:29 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Is there a site that says where (not the cities) the tour bus will be?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 02:10 PM
lunch pail gang

We're supposed to take IGN seriously when their critic writes, "I don't think that NHL Slapshot will ever replace the real-world standard controller hockey of NHL 11 or its 2K11 competitor, but EA Sports produced an impressive and fun hockey experiment for Wii owners," and then proceeds to give Slapshot a higher score than 2k received.

I realize IGN had two different critics review each game, but there should be a little consitancy within one publication, shouldn't there?

lunch pail gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunch pail gang View Post
We're supposed to take IGN seriously when their critic writes, "I don't think that NHL Slapshot will ever replace the real-world standard controller hockey of NHL 11 or its 2K11 competitor, but EA Sports produced an impressive and fun hockey experiment for Wii owners," and then proceeds to give Slapshot a higher score than 2k received.

I realize IGN had two different critics review each game, but there should be a little consitancy within one publication, shouldn't there?
Are you just mad because the review sites are reviewing slapshot better then NHL 2k11? and making your "prediction" look bad?

Quote:
After playing 2k11 for the past three days I have to say I really like it. Sure, it's not perfect, but it i definitely the most complete sports sim out for the Wii. The online capabilities alone are absolutely insane.

From what I've read so far about Slapshot, it doesn't hold a candle to what 2k11 offers. Two major differences between Slapshot and 2k11 are franchise modes and online capabilities. 2k offers a semi-deep franchise mode and all of their modes have online capabilities. Slapshot has neither.

I'm going to wait until Slapshot is released and I have had a chance to play it before I make a final judgement, but, I don't know, it seems like if your a Wii owner and you're looking for a good hockey game, then 2k is looking like the better choice.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 06:27 AM
lunch pail gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Are you just mad because the review sites are reviewing slapshot better then NHL 2k11? and making your "prediction" look bad?
First of all, I don't waste my time becoming angry or elated over a game review. If I like the game then I play it and I tell people why I like it, and vice-versa. I like thinking for myself. Crazy, I know.

Second, my statement was not a prediction. Not to get into a semantics argument, but a prediction is when you foretell the future. My statement was an opinion, or editorial, based on the facts as I knew them at the time. Not once in the statement you quoted from me did I ever write that 2k11 would receive higher critical acclaim than Slapshot. I simply offered up the fact that I had come to the conclusion, at that time, that 2k11 was looking like the better hockey game. So far I stand by that statement, but as I stated, I will wait to actually play Slapshot before I decide, for myself, if that is indeed the case.

Furthermore, I was merely pointing out the inconsistent logic of IGN. I offered a direct quote from their own critique of Slapshot in which they stated that Slapshot wouldn't be able to replace its competitor. Then they rate Slapshot higher? IGN also goes on to simply dismiss the fact that there is no fighting, online modes or franchise modes. Anyone who has completed an undergrad English course can see this critique is an opinion piece. The critic liked the game and cherry-picked reasons to give it an inflated score and dismissed the glaring flaws of the game.

Who knows, I may very well enjoy Slapshot more than 2k11? But, I'll make that decision on my own.

lunch pail gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 07:56 AM
AngryBoss

Quote:
First of all, I don't waste my time becoming angry or elated over a game review. If I like the game then I play it and I tell people why I like it, and vice-versa. I like thinking for myself. Crazy, I know.

Second, my statement was not a prediction. Not to get into a semantics argument, but a prediction is when you foretell the future. My statement was an opinion, or editorial, based on the facts as I knew them at the time. Not once in the statement you quoted from me did I ever write that 2k11 would receive higher critical acclaim than Slapshot. I simply offered up the fact that I had come to the conclusion, at that time, that 2k11 was looking like the better hockey game. So far I stand by that statement, but as I stated, I will wait to actually play Slapshot before I decide, for myself, if that is indeed the case.

Furthermore, I was merely pointing out the inconsistent logic of IGN. I offered a direct quote from their own critique of Slapshot in which they stated that Slapshot wouldn't be able to replace its competitor. Then they rate Slapshot higher? IGN also goes on to simply dismiss the fact that there is no fighting, online modes or franchise modes. Anyone who has completed an undergrad English course can see this critique is an opinion piece. The critic liked the game and cherry-picked reasons to give it an inflated score and dismissed the glaring flaws of the game.

Who knows, I may very well enjoy Slapshot more than 2k11? But, I'll make that decision on my own.
All valid points. The fact that IGN never mentions once that Slapshot is devoid of online play tells you that EA paid them to write a review.
Take-Two went the cheap route (when don't they) and they get flamed.
I don't know how 2K10 could have gotten a good rating and 2K11 a worse one when 2K11 improved on everything.
I guess that's what $$$ will get you with IGN. It's nothing but a ***** for the highest bidder.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 11:10 PM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBoss View Post
All valid points. The fact that IGN never mentions once that Slapshot is devoid of online play tells you that EA paid them to write a review.
Take-Two went the cheap route (when don't they) and they get flamed.
I don't know how 2K10 could have gotten a good rating and 2K11 a worse one when 2K11 improved on everything.
I guess that's what $$$ will get you with IGN. It's nothing but a ***** for the highest bidder.
2K9 to 2K10 was the same deal. Worse reviews for a far better game. I think 1Up even rated 2K9 higher than 2K8. Figure that one out.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 04:15 AM
Noldo

Quote:
(Emphasis mine)

Wouldn't such a review (not going to replace, but earn higher rating) actually make very much sense in the light that at least to me it seems that Slapshot isn't really even trying to be a hardcore simulative game in line with EA's NHL series and 2K11, but more of a "typical" Wii game: a bit more simple gaming experience but way more gentle learning curve, aimed to more casual gamers.

If my impression of Slapshot is right, the game could very well score very highly in its correct class yet still not be viable substitute for 2K11, even though the latter would not rank as highly in its respective class of games.

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Is there a site that says where (not the cities) the tour bus will be?
on my part. For whatever reason I thought this thread was for 2k11.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Grinder89

Picked up slapshot today and I must say that the game is a lot of fun. I grew up playing NES and find that the NHL series has too much you need to control (although I still play the series and enjoy it). The Slapshot series is very basic and is a lot of fun. For shooting you must really keep your stick down for it to be responsive.

Grinder89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
I also picked up both today. I have to say Slapshot got more play toady its so addictive. Very simple but I still really had a good time if your looking for a good game to just ENJOY this is it.

I will list my pros and cons

Pros-
A game you can pick up and play not a big learning curve.

Super simple compared to the 2K Cluster___ of buttons.

Graphics are cartoon like but yet very nicely done.

Pee Wee to Pro mode was done well IMO.

Cons-
Doesn't take advantage of the Wii Motion Plus.

Face offs areway too simple. Even in the harder difficulties I would still usually win 85% of the time.

Rosters are for the end of 2010. Roster Updates are going to be made available though.

I may be nitpicking but you the Albany Devils just feature the New Jersey Devils logo. The only graphic mistake i see.

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Good Reviews so far

IGN gave it 8.0:

GameSpot gave it an 8.0 too:

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/n...ot/review.html

Here's the Metacritic:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/nhl-slapshot

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjoe View Post
NHL2K is making NHL 2K11 strictly for Wii, per this month's OXM... taking a break from the series on the XBOX 360.
Apparently NHL 2K11 (Wii) is Worse than NHL 2K10 (Wii):

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/n...s&subj=6274796

Old
09-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
http://gameinformer.com/games/nhl_sl...irst-look.aspx

Haha, exactly how the Community Event attendees felt, lol. Litty made an early prototype of the stick himself and the story was quite hilarious.

This is exactly how I feel about the game and what I have been trying to say, but in better words.

Wii online is a joke anyway.
Depends on the game. My friends and I always have a blast playing Mario Kart Wii Online.

I especially like that you can play 2 players Online at the same time on the same Wii.

Old
09-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
After watching those videos again I've come to the conclusion that Slapshot will be like Wii Sports for me, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. It'll be fun to play as a family or when friends come over for a game, but it will probably stay put away a majority of the time. In other words, much like Sports it'll be a harmless, casual game that will be played once in a blue moon (if I do get it at all).

On a side note, if the game only comes with one stick, how much fun will the players without a stick have? I really don't think I'm going to plunk down (I'm just guessing here) another $5 to $10 a piece for extra foam sticks.
In Canada EB Games is selling extra sticks for $14.99

Old
09-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
IGN gives it a 8/10

Not bad for their first Wii game.
I'm assuming that you mean it's EA's first Hockey game on the Wii? (EA has lots of Wii Games)

Old
09-08-2010, 03:21 PM
jaisen73

I picked it up yesterday for our Wii. And I should preface my mini-review thoughts by saying that 1) We don't have an XBox or PS3 and if we did I'm sure I'd be all over NHL 11 and 2) I tend to view the quality of games through two lenses: My own experience with it and how much my kids seem to enjoy it.

Once I got the stick assembled and adjusted to the controls I found it a lot of fun to play. It looks sharp, the stick makes checking a very fun experience, and the shooting and passing, while tougher to learn, don't have too much of a learning curve.

I tried out several modes and it's clear that the season mode has been kept to the basics -- no trades, no trade offers coming in from the AI, etc -- but at least the rosters can be adjusted either online or manually. In standard NHL (or AHL or CHL) 5 on 5 it has the same feel of earlier editions of the EA NHL games but with a few arcade-ish modifications. Good commentary, nice presentation, and good game play.

The Pee to Pros mode is clearly it's strength. It helps in terms of learning to play and the challenge increases with each new league. Having my little kid version of Paul Stastny laying the smackdown on little Chris Pronger was particularly fun (though not terrible realistic).

My kids -- 13 and 10 -- both LOVED it from the word go. Each of them fits the profile of "casual gamer", with limited or no interest in being GM, coach, drafter, etc that the Franchise modes of other games. So, in that sense, Slapshot is a major hit.

So while it is different from the true sim-like games, it is a lot of fun.

jaisen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisen73 View Post
I picked it up yesterday for our Wii. And I should preface my mini-review thoughts by saying that 1) We don't have an XBox or PS3 and if we did I'm sure I'd be all over NHL 11 and 2) I tend to view the quality of games through two lenses: My own experience with it and how much my kids seem to enjoy it.

Once I got the stick assembled and adjusted to the controls I found it a lot of fun to play. It looks sharp, the stick makes checking a very fun experience, and the shooting and passing, while tougher to learn, don't have too much of a learning curve.

I tried out several modes and it's clear that the season mode has been kept to the basics -- no trades, no trade offers coming in from the AI, etc -- but at least the rosters can be adjusted either online or manually. In standard NHL (or AHL or CHL) 5 on 5 it has the same feel of earlier editions of the EA NHL games but with a few arcade-ish modifications. Good commentary, nice presentation, and good game play.

The Pee to Pros mode is clearly it's strength. It helps in terms of learning to play and the challenge increases with each new league. Having my little kid version of Paul Stastny laying the smackdown on little Chris Pronger was particularly fun (though not terrible realistic).

My kids -- 13 and 10 -- both LOVED it from the word go. Each of them fits the profile of "casual gamer", with limited or no interest in being GM, coach, drafter, etc that the Franchise modes of other games. So, in that sense, Slapshot is a major hit.

So while it is different from the true sim-like games, it is a lot of fun.
Solid review. I bought both NHL 11 (PS3) and NHL Slapshot (Wii) but I haven't had a chance to play either yet. It should be interesting to see how they compare and which one my kids & friends like better.

Glad to hear that it's fun because that's the point of video games and sometimes it seems to get over looked in favour of graphics etc.

Old
09-09-2010, 03:43 PM
jc90
Gonna paint ur wagon

question: buy this one, or wait for next year assuming they make another version. ive heard if this one doesnt do well, they'll scrap it.

jc90 is offline   Reply With Quote