HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Scouting Staff the real deal?

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
No offense, but I've already become disgusted with the 2003 draft. Not saying it's a write off, but it would take some monumental turn-arounds to catch up to the 1999 draft. Comrie was already playing in the NHL a year away from his draft year, and was the #2 centre on the Oilers the year after. Pouliot would have to start next season as the #2 centre to stack up to him
Comrie was drafted in June 1999, and entered the NHL at Christmas 2000 as a 20 year old. Pouliot is about to or has just turned 19.

Do you mean that Pouliot has to enter the NHL at Xmas 2005 as the #2 center to match Comrie, or does age have anything to do with it?

Old
05-16-2004, 03:15 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
Quote:
Brodziak I love.

However, you can't help but be a bit annoyed when the Oilers pass up a potential franchise player in Zach Parise for made-of-glass Marc-Antoine Pouliot (whom I will admit I like when he does play, but he gets injured so much), and #60th overall pick JF Jacques.
I'm not to worried about Pouliots Injurys just yet but if he has another year of them i will start to worry.

Old
05-16-2004, 10:57 PM
aspin

Quote:
Brodziak I love.

However, you can't help but be a bit annoyed when the Oilers pass up a potential franchise player in Zach Parise for made-of-glass Marc-Antoine Pouliot (whom I will admit I like when he does play, but he gets injured so much), and #60th overall pick JF Jacques.
So let me ask you this. Were you one of the guys that was disgusted that the Oilers took Deslauriers, stoll and Greene ahead of Hudler...come on now be honest. I love that they took Pouliot ahead of Parise and then get Jaques as a throw in. As I have stated a number of times, a great college player does not necessarily translate into a great NHL player. Time will tell. Write this one donw. Everything I hear about Pouliot is great. Let's get one thing clear though...you have to know that they did their homework inside out on this one.

Old
05-16-2004, 11:13 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Contrary to beleif, Pouliot's injuries (aside from I beleive his broken arm), aren't because he is injury prone or anything like that.

They are because of his age and his development. His body is still growing, and if it is behind the curve at all (which is possible), he could still have a lot of growing (physically) left to do, which can alot of times put your muslces and ligaments at risk of tears.

I would be more worried about one knee injury or shoulder injury than 10 muscle injuries, especially in an 18 year old. Many young athletes are very prone to these kinds of injuries, so I for one am not worried about it.

Old
05-16-2004, 11:19 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Contrary to beleif, Pouliot's injuries (aside from I beleive his broken arm), aren't because he is injury prone or anything like that.

They are because of his age and his development. His body is still growing, and if it is behind the curve at all (which is possible), he could still have a lot of growing (physically) left to do, which can alot of times put your muslces and ligaments at risk of tears.

I would be more worried about one knee injury or shoulder injury than 10 muscle injuries, especially in an 18 year old. Many young athletes are very prone to these kinds of injuries, so I for one am not worried about it.

Agreed. The concussion from the Phaneuf hit is certainly a concern, but the other injuries aren't exactly career threatening. I think also Pouliot may have missed a few games at the start of the season because he was in camp, but that's stretching my memory (Guy? calling Guy Flaming?)

Old
05-17-2004, 12:24 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Agreed. The concussion from the Phaneuf hit is certainly a concern, but the other injuries aren't exactly career threatening. I think also Pouliot may have missed a few games at the start of the season because he was in camp, but that's stretching my memory (Guy? calling Guy Flaming?)
I'd have to check into my files but I seem to recall he started camp a couple days late because of the hip flexor he had from the summer Team Canada camp in CGY. I don't know if that's accurate but that's what came to my mind.

I know Salmelainen had a bad groin too so I might be mixing them up together.

Old
05-17-2004, 04:02 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Ya, regardless of how much time each org. takes with their prospects, it's complete folly to say you're disgusted with one draft and that you can't judge the other teams same year because it's too early....
I am one of the people who thought they should have taken Parise - cause you know what..... the Oilers have went away from what started to make them succesful in the mid/late 90's - and that was their speed. I figured we needed one or two big bodies, not that we needed to scrap all but one or two guys for bigger bodies....

I am, however, happy with Pouliot, he looked good in training camp - I was quite impressed, and the Oilers have picked up more valuable guys in the last five years then the Devils have I would certainly wager.

Old
05-17-2004, 11:01 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
I'd have to check into my files but I seem to recall he started camp a couple days late because of the hip flexor he had from the summer Team Canada camp in CGY. I don't know if that's accurate but that's what came to my mind.

I know Salmelainen had a bad groin too so I might be mixing them up together.
As long as my memory is still good I believe that Pouliot missed some of training camp with a bad ankle.

Old
05-17-2004, 05:18 PM
Digger12

Quote:
2001 doesn't look as good for the Devils as 2002/2003 did, but again, I don't think we can fairly judge those for the Devils, since as I said, they take so much longer with their prospects.
You know, I read this and I thought to myself "Does Mizral have a good point here, or is this another one of those New Jersey urban legends?"

I did a search through each team's 03/04 regular season roster, and looked for 'home grown' players (I.E. team draft picks or FA signings straight out of college/Europe) and looked at how many games they played in their respective teams' AHL squads before becoming NHL regulars with their current teams:

DEVILS

Elias...........134
Gomez...........0
Niedermayer...0
Rafalski..........0
Madden.......149
Brylin..........150
Gionta...........37
Pandolfo........68
Martin............0
Hale...............0
White..........205
Brodeur.........32

12 players, an average of 64.58 AHL GP

OILERS

Smyth.............9
Horcoff...........26
Hemsky............0
Pisani...........172
Bergeron.......123
Stoll..............76
Laraque........144
Chimera........237
Semenov......115 (debateable that he qualifies as a regular yet)
Conklin...........75

10 players, an average of 97.7 AHL GP

I'm sure there's something I'm missing here, but at a casual glance I don't see where the Devils take so much longer to develop prospects while the Oilers throw their kids into the fire...if anything it looks like the other way around.

At any rate, I think it shows that NJ's drafting shouldn't be given any more slack than anyone else...in fact to say that they can't be judged because they 'take longer to develop prospects' seems like a copout.

I dunno, perhaps if this were 2000 I might agree with you, but these last few years I think Lowe's shown a more methodical approach to developing prospects than Slats ever did...Sather was more "If you dont' show me something early, you're trade bait".

Last edited by Digger12: 05-17-2004 at 05:28 PM.
Old
05-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Lowetide

New Jersey's rep. now is probably well beyond the actual results. Where they gained their credibility is back about the time the Oilers were winning their 5th Stanley.

Prendergast's group has a nice three year collection going, and there have been relatively few blowouts (from 01-03, I think only Dufort is DOA and they didn't sign the Red Deer LW Stephenson, plus Caron's selection looks like it was a mistake).

If Hemsky/Lynch develop from 01, Stoll plus another from 2002 and a couple of '03 drafts come through, the Oilers will be looking at their best three year draft cluster in over 20 seasons. The last time the Oilers had first rounders work out three seasons in a row was 79-81.

Closed Thread