HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need help fixing my shot...Videos included!

Old
05-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Galchenyuk27
FIRE MT AND MB

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
Need help fixing my shot...Videos included!

View from side

From back...

I know I probably have a terrible shot, I just started playing again after a long layoff. I have had problems getting my wrist shot consistent, and I can't really get it to go high much at all.

Stick handling I don't have much of a problem with it that, but my shooting board was a little dirty and the puck wasn't gliding well, so don't worry about that. My target was a few garbage cans you should be able to see in the grass.

Any advice? I need help bad, I know.

Thanks guys.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:19 PM
orion7

1. You put very little weight on your back leg (and the stick), and the weight that you do put on it is lost when you lift it during the shot. This will hurt in both speed and power because there is nothing to transfer to your front leg (and aid your shot). Your arms end up bearing the load and depending on the average person, this will lead to weaker and slower shots.

2. Akin to #1, your right hand is too high on the stick and the puck is too far in front of you. It's very hard to leverage for speed and power, and even accuracy if your hand is too high, and when the puck is so far away from your core.

3. Only other thing that kind of irks me is rotation of your upper body. While not necessary, and many players form a habit around shooting from all positions, it might be better practice to face to the side more, rather than mostly to the front, so that you can turn your hips more in line with your arms and shoulders.

Not only does it take the strain off your arms, gives more potential for energy during the shot.

So,
  • More weight on the back leg (don't lift during shot!! Need that weight transfer)
  • Right hand further down
  • Involve your upper body more in rotation

Other than that, it's not really that bad; just needs some refinement with practice. That said, very cool to have videos for the extra help. Good luck!

Last edited by orion7: 05-28-2010 at 09:42 PM.
orion7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:46 PM
BadHammy*

Bend your knees more. Work on getting lower, almost down into the ground.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:36 PM
TheHMan

Juding from these videos, it looks like your shooting with the puck too far away from you, and perhaps a bit too far forward in your stance.

Set the puck a couple inches closer to your feet and work on drawing it back more so it's past your back leg. Try to stay more square with the target (shoulders in line with the direction of the shot) as well.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Galchenyuk27
FIRE MT AND MB

All this advice makes a lot of sense to me, I'm going to write it down and work on it tomorrow in the backyard.

Thanks a lot guys, any more advice is appreciated. If I feel I've made noticeable changes, maybe I'll make another video.

Thanks!

Old
05-29-2010, 02:58 AM
dabeechman

Get the puck in closer to your body. You are also "pushing" the puck. You are relying on the leverage of your stick to propel the puck and not the flex of the stick. Meaning you aren't bearing down on the shaft at all. You are simply "sweeping" it.

Remember to snap your wrists. You are giving up a lot of power there, and it is also what controls the puck.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Pierre Gotye

When you release your shot, it's important that the puck start at the near-side corner of your heel in the blade.

As you follow through, the puck should roll towards the toe of your of your blade.

This will greatly improve your shot power, and accuracy.

Remember also when you follow through to rotate your blade and point it straight at your target.

Another good thing to remember is to choke up where you are positioning your hands on your stick. Your bottom hand seems too high to me, you need to bring it down much lower. Again, this is where more of your power and stick torque will be generated from.

Don't forget that, shooting isn't so much how fast your can fling your arms, but that you can also roll your wrists to generate power.

Personally, I prefer the snapshot in game situations. They are much quicker, and give the goalie less time to react.

Here's a couple of pictures of Ovechkin shooting, notice how low his bottom hand is:

Last edited by Pierre Gotye: 05-29-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd try to only focus on a couple new things on the shot until you get it down...too much info and you will get overwhelmed.

Big things I see:

- drop the lower hand down more on the stick, that way you can get more whip on it

- keep your hands away from the body...you want to be able to fit a basketball between the stick and body, that way you can pull back on the top arm for more power

- push down slightly with the bottom hand while shooting, if you can lean into your bottom arm, but that might take some practice

- try not to get so spread out in balance, your stick is way away from the body like you don't want to get anywhere near it...bring that puck in closer to the body and you'll naturally get more flex and power on the shot.

Good things I saw:

- you have excellent spin on the puck from opening/closing the blade

- follow through looks pretty good

- seem to have good forearm strength

So basically right now you're using pure forearm/wrist power to shoot the puck...if you get some of the lower body and core muscles involved as well as use the whip of the stick, you'll have a canon.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Crosbyfan

Pretty good advice so far.

I will add that, if you are shooting hard for power, the flip flops will be a little uncomfortable choice of footwear.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 12:52 PM
MJAYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post

Here's a couple of pictures of Ovechkin shooting, notice how low his bottom hand is:

This pretty much demonstrates the modern snapshot. It's basically a slapshot with ZERO windup. Of course there's some slight differences between the two shots, but the basic idea is the same. Ovie's hands are pretty much where you want them on a slapshot.

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Galchenyuk27
FIRE MT AND MB

Thanks a lot guys. I just went out and did some more shooting at those poor garbage cans and I'm liking what I'm seeing and feeling early into it. I feel like I am definitely getting a lot more into it with the puck closer and my hand further down.

I kind of figured flip flops weren't the best footwear, next time I'll put on my shoes.

I'll go out and practice again later and continue implementing this advice and try and get better. Can't wait!

Old
05-29-2010, 02:12 PM
ipushmycar

Bad form. You're just pushing the puck with your stick. Stick isn't being brought far back enough and you're putting no pressure on the stick.

Go watch a wrist shot tutorial video. Your form/balance is way off. (Not trying to be rude, but yeah)

ipushmycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:03 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

I don't really have much to add, I think Jarick about summed it up. Good for you for posting a vid of yourself and putting it out there, it takes guts. That's how you will get better. Just ignore the non-constructive criticism, some people forget they were ever a beginner.

With all the good advice you're getting, try to focus on no more than 2-3 specifics. If you try to remember everything at once it will just give you a headache.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Escapades

snap those wrists

Escapades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 02:05 AM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
I don't really have much to add, I think Jarick about summed it up. Good for you for posting a vid of yourself and putting it out there, it takes guts. That's how you will get better. Just ignore the non-constructive criticism, some people forget they were ever a beginner.

With all the good advice you're getting, try to focus on no more than 2-3 specifics. If you try to remember everything at once it will just give you a headache.
Bingo

It is hard to remember to do everything at once, so work on one thing at a time. Good luck, we want updates!

The Hockey Movement The Hockey Movement
HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 08:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Hey, Al Iafrate could shoot 100 mph in sandals

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote