HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Forsberg - Saskatoon Blades, WHL (2013 undrafted)

Old
01-13-2013, 06:43 PM
puckfan13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Murda View Post
Who told you that? I'd say the four western leagues are pretty close in competition...at least in my opinion.
Look at the amount of drafted players from each league for your answer...

BCHL is clearly a notch above Sask and Man with the AJHL coming in second.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:57 PM
J Murda

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I would disagree greatly. I would rank them:

BC

Alberta

Saskatchewan
Manitoba
Hmm. I know that more players are drafted out of BC, but I never thought the overall product between the leagues was THAT much different in comparison. I guess that is going to make the new Western championship a little more interesting. I also thought the BC and Alberta leagues especially were about equal, but I will take your word for it. Thanks for the clarification.

J Murda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:34 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

it sucks they didn't trade him - but i think it would make more sense for him to tough it out given there's only 2 more months in the season.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:10 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

didn't make the NHL CSS's midterm rankings at all.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:37 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
didn't make the NHL CSS's midterm rankings at all.
I don't think Cammarta did either. Have to take those lists with a grain of salt.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:07 PM
jlockhart89

Without getting to much into what league is best and what league is worst between BC, Alberta, and Saskatchewan (as for whatever reason it is a touchy subject for some), From watching the Broncos in 3 RBC's and following some of the other leagues a bit my opinion is: There is a lot more scholarship and draft opportunities out in BC (and to a certain extent Alberta as well) So you will see guys with a higher profile at a younger age in BC (see guys like Lucia and Reilly last year with Penticton). While the SJHL I find has a lot of their more high profile players as bigger experiences 20 year olds.

The BCHL has 7 of the 16 Royal Bank Cup National Championships since the tournament changed to it's current title and format. So it's certainly valid to assume it's the most talented league in Canada Jr. A. Not to discredit any of the other leagues, but national championships and scholarships are simply in my opinion the measuring stick.

RBC Titles since 1996:

BCHL: 7
SJHL: 3
AJHL: 2
MJHL: 2
MHL: 2
NOJHA: 1

I do disagree though with the sentiment that the SJHL is vastly inferior to the BCHL and AJHL, there has been plenty of strong contenders come out of the SJHL the last few years and IMO if Humbolt hadn't of layed an egg in the semi's last year they would've beaten a very impressive Penticton team in the finals (I know I'm biased and if wishes were fishes right? They DID physically and talent wise dominate the Vees during the round robin however)

Getting to Forsberg as I know he's the REAL topic of this thread. He seemed to struggle finding chemistry playing wing with his 2 linemates his first 2 games. He got moved to center on a line last night with Cody Pongraz and Joey Davies (the 2 leading scorers for Humboldt). The results were immediate, they were on the ice for 5 of Humboldt's 6 goals and cycled the puck with ease all night. Forsberg ended the night with 3 assists (should've got credit for 4) and had a few real good chances in the slot that he got shut down on. This line is going to do some damage down the stretch here for sure.

My observations seeing Forsberg for the first time is that he's a great stick handler and has a great sense of where to be in the offensive zone. He isn't the quickest guy on the ice from what I can see and could stand to get stronger on the puck.

You get definitely see the talent is still there with this kid, I hope for his sake he can put things together with Humboldt down the stretch here and go on a nice long run and still have a shot with an NHL team later in the draft.

jlockhart89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:06 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Why doesn't he play in the BCHL even where the level is much higher is my question?
Considering BCHL is the best, I think he wants to stay close to home.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:54 PM
Parise9Crosby87

they should of just traded him

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:51 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Also on the Jr. A topic, he would have to be traded or released by the Broncos. He couldn't just decide to join a team.

Trading between leagues is actually fairl frequent.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:05 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise9Crosby87 View Post
they should of just traded him
I disagree.

When a kid comes out and basically trashes your organization with a move like this, you sometimes need to take a stand. By the sounds of it, Forsberg and his family basically blamed the Cougars for not getting him ranked by Central Scouting.

You can say what you want, but that's a pretty ridiculous view. The kid has always been knocked for his work ethic and lack of physical play.

If he put in more effort on the ice and off the ice, his skill would have easily got him ranked by Central Scouting.

I have no problem with what the Cougars are doing with this situation. You can't give kid's like this exactly what they want in all cases.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Fuzzy Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Considering BCHL is the best, I think he wants to stay close to home.
Humboldt had him on their protected list. If that extends into the rest of Jr. A or not I am unsure. It is close to home, a strong program for the past decade, and two of his P.G team mates played minor hockey for Humboldt, he also knew one of the broncos from his own minor hockey years. He is being billeted by Humboldt's mayor who is a great guy and who has had positive things to say about Alex thus far apparently.

I know their pxp guy, Clark Stork, said Alex looked tired at the end of the first two games but that the talent is obvious and is getting his legs now that he is getting use to everything which was shown but his great showing this past Tuesday.

If he is available in the last few picks he is well worth the risk considering some of the people who have been drafted and his high skill set.

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Fuzzy Bunny

Quote:
I disagree.

When a kid comes out and basically trashes your organization with a move like this, you sometimes need to take a stand. By the sounds of it, Forsberg and his family basically blamed the Cougars for not getting him ranked by Central Scouting.

You can say what you want, but that's a pretty ridiculous view. The kid has always been knocked for his work ethic and lack of physical play.

If he put in more effort on the ice and off the ice, his skill would have easily got him ranked by Central Scouting.

I have no problem with what the Cougars are doing with this situation. You can't give kid's like this exactly what they want in all cases.
When there were others requesting trades, his brother included, I am curious as to why p.g didn't start calling around to trade him before this blew up. I believe it was poorly handled by both sides but I continually see p.g fans ripping their front office. It seems like they got the bad brodsky... although I still don't forgive our the brodskys for that bulldozer logo. That was terrible.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:43 AM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
I disagree.

Just to be clear, when a kid wants to leave he's trashing the organization? So by that reasoning, when a team trades a player they're really calling that player trash? Good to know what Saskatoon really thought of Kambeitz. And Moose Jaw of Edmundson. Or any other player traded this year. Then again, maybe I'm being too harsh. Maybe it's not personal; maybe these teams just wanted to better themselves? After all, it's a bedrock principle of our country that everyone has the right to try and better themselves. That should certainly apply to multi-millionaire owners and well-paid coaches. Just not 17 year old kids, I guess.

By the way, if the "kid has always been knocked for his work ethic and lack of physical play" then why did the PG management team draft him? Sounds like poor management to me. Hmmm...what else is poor management known for? Perhaps poor player development? And the reason why Forsberg want out? Oh yeah, he doesn't feel like he's developing properly. Hmm.

Look, maybe it is all Forsberg's fault. I'm not on the team. But considering what a league-wide joke the ownership and management team is considered to be, maybe people might want to look there first before jumping on a kid's character. Just a thought.

dickiedunnwrotethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:39 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiedunnwrotethis View Post
Just to be clear, when a kid wants to leave he's trashing the organization? So by that reasoning, when a team trades a player they're really calling that player trash? Good to know what Saskatoon really thought of Kambeitz. And Moose Jaw of Edmundson. Or any other player traded this year. Then again, maybe I'm being too harsh. Maybe it's not personal; maybe these teams just wanted to better themselves? After all, it's a bedrock principle of our country that everyone has the right to try and better themselves. That should certainly apply to multi-millionaire owners and well-paid coaches. Just not 17 year old kids, I guess.

By the way, if the "kid has always been knocked for his work ethic and lack of physical play" then why did the PG management team draft him? Sounds like poor management to me. Hmmm...what else is poor management known for? Perhaps poor player development? And the reason why Forsberg want out? Oh yeah, he doesn't feel like he's developing properly. Hmm.

Look, maybe it is all Forsberg's fault. I'm not on the team. But considering what a league-wide joke the ownership and management team is considered to be, maybe people might want to look there first before jumping on a kid's character. Just a thought.
- I never said that when a kid requests a trade that he is ripping the organization. A newspaper article came out shortly after this all blew up, where the Cougars said that Forsberg and his parents were blaming PG for not having his kid listed by Central Scouting. THAT is ripping the organization. That's what I was referring to. Not simply requesting a deal, I never said that.

- You are fine to have the opinion you have...I'm surely not putting all the blame on Forsberg or his family. I'm sure he's a good kid and is just trying to look out for himself. I can understand that. I just don't really like when players can essentially try and blame the organization when it's widely known that he's a very inconsistent player in many different aspects. I just also respect the fact that the Cougars didn't blink when Forsberg put a gun to their head with this move, so to speak. They weren't about to have their hand forced if a good deal for their organization wasn't out there.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:10 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiedunnwrotethis View Post

Dramatics aside, he probably would have been granted his request if he re-joined the team after Christmas instead of showing selfishness and a lack of maturity.

I know he's only 17, but he handled it poorly, probably due to bad advice from his parents.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:53 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
- I never said that when a kid requests a trade that he is ripping the organization. A newspaper article came out shortly after this all blew up, where the Cougars said that Forsberg and his parents were blaming PG for not having his kid listed by Central Scouting. THAT is ripping the organization. That's what I was referring to. Not simply requesting a deal, I never said that.

- You are fine to have the opinion you have...I'm surely not putting all the blame on Forsberg or his family. I'm sure he's a good kid and is just trying to look out for himself. I can understand that. I just don't really like when players can essentially try and blame the organization when it's widely known that he's a very inconsistent player in many different aspects. I just also respect the fact that the Cougars didn't blink when Forsberg put a gun to their head with this move, so to speak. They weren't about to have their hand forced if a good deal for their organization wasn't out there.
This is a quote before the Christmas break and before the trade request from Dean Clark referring to Forsberg:

“Points aren’t just going to happen. With his skills he’s going to create something but it’s not just going to happen, you have to put the effort out there all the time. Mentally he has to get a little bit stronger. If he can understand he has to come back [from the break] in some half decent shape he’ll be fine.”

Is this a case of publicly ripping or trashing Forsberg? Is it more proper - in public - to say someone is lazy, mentally weak, and out of shape than saying an organization has done a terrible job in player development. Keep in mind, in the article you refer to, you say "where the Cougars said that Forsberg and his parents were blaming PG for not having his kid listed by Central Scouting". So we don't have even an attributable quote from the family, but rather, it comes from an organization that has a very real and direct financial interest in "shaping" the message to help mitigate a public relations nightmare. Hmm.

Again, I'm not defending Forsberg. He may, or may not, be all that's he's painted to be on these boards. And you are certainly entitled to your opinion. But I'd like to know - and I've been following hockey since the late 70s - why every time there's been a high-profile player trade request there's always been a corresponding furor from fans. Forsberg isn't the first, and he won't be the last, but everytime I can count on hearing these words: "selfish", "arrogant", "petulant", "ungrateful". "spoiled", "cancer". Blah blah ad infinitum. But never a peep about management. Management and coaching staffs can be complete horror shows, but players are expected to die on their swords. You know, for the team. Nevermind that they aren't even adults. Or that most adults never have to publicly face accusations of character flaws when they change jobs. But if a kid tries to determine his own future, well, then the backlash. Why? Apparently many do not want the romanticized illusion of saintly owners selflessly nurturing these young lads into the hockey heros of tomorrow to die. I, for one, prefer to watch hockey without my Ron MacLean-tinted, rose-coloured glasses on. It helps me see the game better. Hockey at WHL and higher levels is a transactional business. Owners get something: money. Kids get something: development. And perhaps later: money. When you look at the business of hockey that way, you (and by you, I don't mean you personally) don't have to ascribe unfounded character flaws in people. They're just acting in their own interest.

Finally, before we hand out badges of courage to the PG management team, we should examine what real choice did they have in their position. Even their "brain trust" must have been smart enough to know that after the trade demand was made public there was no way they could accede to Forsberg's demands. Doing so would signal to every current and future prospect that doesn't want to play in PG - and believe me, the number of players who would rather play for any other junior organization are legion - a possible escape route.

dickiedunnwrotethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:48 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Humboldt had him on their protected list. If that extends into the rest of Jr. A or not I am unsure.
Well if that is the case then he is in a good situation, which should've never happened. Does this kid scream 2013's version of Ebert to anyone?

Old
01-22-2013, 03:10 PM
arsmaster

Prince George has finally fired Dean Clark - http://www.whl.ca/article/cougars-re...-as-head-coach

Does this pave the way for a Forsberg return to PG??

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:04 AM
Warman1976
Rookie User

You can ask for a trade but if the team chooses to keep you there is no way out. Kid played with my son back in pee wee and while my son is not good enough for the dub he is listed in junior a and isnt willing to move in his grade 12 year let alone 14 hours away in grade 10. looked into things and once your listed they can keep you on that list and stop you from playing that level of hockey and you run out of options unless you move down - so junior b it is. There are many great organizations and coaches and there are some real bad ones, that treat people poorly with no remorse. Takes a while but eventually people get smart and look both ways before they commit, instead of crossing the road and getting run over. So the smart ones say no from the start and maybe they wont list you. Takes courage to stand up and say no and theres a cost so if your man enough to step up it must be worth the pain to get to a new place.

Warman1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:01 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Prince George has finally fired Dean Clark - http://www.whl.ca/article/cougars-re...-as-head-coach

Probably not, considering I think it was GM Dallas Thompson who was originally quoted in that damning newspaper article after Christmas.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Fuzzy Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

Forsberg tweeted shortly after the announcement for the Dean Clark firing that he was remaining in Humboldt throughout the RBC Cup if they are able to make it that far.

He is starting to get comfortable with the new team and right now, after 2 periods, the Broncos are beating the leagues best Yorkton Terriers 4-2 thanks to 1+1 from Forsberg. If the chemistry continues to improve they will be extremely difficult to beat. Only see Flin Flon and Yorkton as other teams that could take them down.

OT from Forsberg the player but the way I see the SJ right now (for teams that could win the SJ):

Humboldt
-----
Yorkton
Flin Flon
-----
-----
Melville, Nipawin, Notre Dame and North Battleford
-----

Old
01-23-2013, 08:59 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

^wasn't this the same Alex Forsberg who was so highly touted once? if so what happened? or is it a different guy who happens to have the same name?

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:23 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
^wasn't this the same Alex Forsberg who was so highly touted once? if so what happened? or is it a different guy who happens to have the same name?
He went #1st overall in the bantam draft.

Played 5 games, but had injury filled year.

Last year: Played a decent amount of games (still missed about 20 games), but showed some weakness. Though he had a really good rookie season.

This year: Great start to season with Jacobs, slowed down considerable before the holidays and didn't report to the team after Christmas. Wants to be traded, but never was after WHL deadline. Now playing Junior A close to home.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:33 AM
Parise9Crosby87

if he gets drafted he will be a steal?

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:36 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise9Crosby87 View Post
if he gets drafted he will be a steal?
Impossible to know.

Depends what round he gets drafted and even more importantly, how he develops after that.

In my mind, there is absolutely no way that this kid can go undrafted. Maybe a 7th rounder, but he's absolutely worth a shot.