HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Avstyn staying in the KHL?

Old
06-01-2010, 01:16 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

vCash: 500
Alexander Avstyn staying in the KHL?

http://twitter.com/HabsWatch

Quote:
Hearing #Habs prospect Alexander Avtsin will remain in the KHL & appears to be headed from defunct Dynamo Moskva to OHK Dynamo Moskva

i have no clue who is this guy "habswatch" is.... so i doubt he's a credible source or anything like that. his blog hasn't been updated since february so whatever maybe his right...time will tell

but if true habs fan will be in depression all summer long

and im 1000000% sure we won't draft a russian for a while

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:17 AM
overlords
Hfboards

yeah if avtsyn pulls an emelin, i won't want to draft another russian for a nice long while.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:17 AM
LyricalLyricist

If true...dissapointing. Good players but not sure why they insist on playing there when some get little ice time.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:22 AM
Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
If true...dissapointing. Good players but not sure why they insist on playing there when some get little ice time.
It's very easy to understand why they play there. You get to play in your country and get paid much more than in the NHL (with little to no taxes). Why go to the NHL if that's the case?

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:25 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onisac View Post
It's very easy to understand why they play there. You get to play in your country and get paid much more than in the NHL (with little to no taxes). Why go to the NHL if that's the case?
we're talking sports here, if you have the chance to play in the best league with the best competition, you should do it.

Old
06-01-2010, 01:30 AM
schumway2

What's the rush? He's 19 years old. He can play in the KHL one more year.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:40 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:51 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
we're talking sports here, if you have the chance to play in the best league with the best competition, you should do it.
You're talking like the KHL is a huge step down from the NHL. It's obviously not quite at the same level, but it's a pretty damn good league. I wouldn't be surprised to see their teams beat some NHL teams either.

The kid is 19-years old. I know I had second thoughts of leaving home at 19, and I was only moving away about 6-hours. This kid has to move overseas, where he knows nobody, has no friends, probably doesn't speak good english, and overall, is in a culture he may not enjoy.

I hate drafting russians for this reason. At the same time, I hate when people bash them for the same reason. If you gave me a choice to play for more money, very close to home (friends and family), and the level of play wasn't a far drop off, I'd do it.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:53 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
You're talking like the KHL is a huge step down from the NHL. It's obviously not quite at the same level, but it's a pretty damn good league. I wouldn't be surprised to see their teams beat some NHL teams either.

The kid is 19-years old. I know I had second thoughts of leaving home at 19, and I was only moving away about 6-hours. This kid has to move overseas, where he knows nobody, has no friends, probably doesn't speak good english, and overall, is in a culture he may not enjoy.

I hate drafting russians for this reason. At the same time, I hate when people bash them for the same reason. If you gave me a choice to play for more money, very close to home (friends and family), and the level of play wasn't a far drop off, I'd do it.
i wouldn't say the leagues are all that close. I'm not bashing the kid for the choice, it's just that if i had worked that hard all my life to be the best at something, and i had an easy window into the best place to ply my trade, i'd jump at it.

Old
06-01-2010, 03:14 AM
Habitant#1

Quote:

Exactly. This is why teams like Detroit let their euro pics play in their own leagues untill they're older and more mature. That way they're more equipped to deal with the move and more likely to stick it out in the AHL if they have to. Every person's work ethic improves with age too.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 03:42 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
i wouldn't say the leagues are all that close. I'm not bashing the kid for the choice, it's just that if i had worked that hard all my life to be the best at something, and i had an easy window into the best place to ply my trade, i'd jump at it.
Of course that entails a lot of opinion. If the positions were swapped, do you think every North American player would line up to play in the KHL? If your employer came to you tomorrow and said they're promoting you, which means transferring to Novokuznetsk, how excited would YOU be to drop everything and everyone around you right now for the opportunity? Even if we assume that you're the adventurous type, would you expect everyone you know to be as eager to jump at the chance?

Sometimes that window doesn't seem as easy to jump through, somewhat regardless of the "opportunity", is all I think some are trying to say here.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 03:46 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Good work, Timmins.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 04:31 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
I'm still positive he'll report http://www.russianhockeyfans.com/nhl...diens-183.html

06-01-2010, 06:41 AM
deandebean

Can explain why they dropped the russian scout...tired of those no-shows, maybe.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Wasn't there an article about Avtsin STILL under a KHL contract. If so, how the heck should we expect him to come with the KHL-NHL talk that was going this summer about the fact that neither of those league should go after a signed player?

Even if he stays 1 more year, I still believe that he'll come next year. The guy didn't do all that effort (NHL combine, Draft and development camp) to remain in the KHL for life.

As far as dropping the scout because of those no-shows, well I hope that's why he was dropped. Has nothing to do with Avtsin, but the rest is pretty pathetic and I hope that's why he was let go.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
What's the rush? He's 19 years old. He can play in the KHL one more year.
The problem is "one more year" can lead to a two year deal to stay after this season, etc....

To me you want to get these guys over as soon as possible...the longer they stay in the KHL the less likely they leave their comfort zone to give NA hockey a go.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
The problem is "one more year" can lead to a two year deal to stay after this season, etc....

To me you want to get these guys over as soon as possible...the longer they stay in the KHL the less likely they leave their comfort zone to give NA hockey a go.
Agree, no way we can avtsin go there again producing at semi star level over there and receiving a 2,000,000$ contrat a year... Too risky no way the habs would match that we experienced that with perezhogin already.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Bitterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
There's been other interviews where Avtsin stated he'd only come over once he assured of a spot on the Habs. Why would he leave a KHL salary for about 65k in the AHL because I don't see the Habs taking on a 19 year old after the debacle of Price & Patches coming up too soon?

Bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

If it's true, can't say I'm surprised.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:

Such a smart comment.

Just put yourself the shoes of someone else to understand where they are coming from.

Not enough people do this.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:08 AM
couris

no more russians

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:26 AM
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
I'm just happy the kid is playing, after the early reports on his wrist.

He's 19. We just made the Eastern Conference finals, mostly on the heels of veteran talent. There's no need to rush the kids anymore.

DirtyJeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:28 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onisac View Post
I understand completely, but why lead us on? Some say NHL is their dream but never come.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Good work, Timmins.

Um...don't understand this comment.

You don't think Timmins should of burned the 109th pick in the draft on this guy?? Should of pick up a blue chipper at 109 instead????

06-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

His contract still has another year, if I'm not mistaken, they can technically choose to keep his contract with the new merged team. Maybe that's what the issue is.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote