HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

For those on the fence about the iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-01-2010, 01:49 AM
  #1
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,207
vCash: 500
For those on the fence about the iPad

http://vimeo.com/11886557


Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:55 AM
  #2
parabola
༼ つ ಥ_ಥ ༽つỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫
 
parabola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Posts: 38,528
vCash: 500
I`m still on the fence about the iPad.

__________________
parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 02:42 AM
  #3
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,758
vCash: 500
Haha, that's awesome. I'll be the first to admit, I'm very anti-Apple... yet I find myself intrigued by the iPad. Very intrigued, just not quite enough to want to buy it, although I think about it sometimes.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 02:44 AM
  #4
RoadDoggFL
Registered User
 
RoadDoggFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: Colombia
Posts: 4,804
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Haha, that's awesome. I'll be the first to admit, I'm very anti-Apple... yet I find myself intrigued by the iPad. Very intrigued, just not quite enough to want to buy it, although I think about it sometimes.
I'm anti-Apple and love my old iPod Classic 3rd gen. Too bad the battery and HD crapped out. I've considered replacing them, but it's not worth the dough.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 02:47 AM
  #5
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan
 
EpochLink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,872
vCash: 500
I'm on the fence on the iPad.
I'm all Apple'd out ( Macbook, 3 iPods, iPhone, iMac )

I'll hold out this time..

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 04:01 AM
  #6
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 25,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Haha, that's awesome. I'll be the first to admit, I'm very anti-Apple... yet I find myself intrigued by the iPad. Very intrigued, just not quite enough to want to buy it, although I think about it sometimes.
Apple is just addressing a concept we're all familiar with and love. Look at Iron Man 2, Minority Report etc... the thought of having computer power in a near flat surface on command that responds to touch etc... Everyone wants that to be a reality. iPad is a good step in the right direction. It's not a great device. It does nothing new that the iPod and iPhone haven't. You could even argue it does less. But it is pushing that niche that needs to be explored more.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 04:05 AM
  #7
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Apple is just addressing a concept we're all familiar with and love. Look at Iron Man 2, Minority Report etc... the thought of having computer power in a near flat surface on command that responds to touch etc... Everyone wants that to be a reality. iPad is a good step in the right direction. It's not a great device. It does nothing new that the iPod and iPhone haven't. You could even argue it does less. But it is pushing that niche that needs to be explored more.
no its not. The iPad was simply Apple's way of realizing they had no foot in the ereader/netbook market. Its simply a bigger version of pre-existing devices and technologically inferior to already existing touch pc's.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:47 AM
  #8
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clovis, California
Country: United States
Posts: 12,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
no its not. The iPad was simply Apple's way of realizing they had no foot in the ereader/netbook market. Its simply a bigger version of pre-existing devices and technologically inferior to already existing touch pc's.
That's part of the reason why the iPad works, from a UI standpoint.

It doesn't take that much to browse a webpage or view photos, and if all you support is a handful of audio/video formats, that's near trivial as well, and it's all tried and tested with previous iPhone/Touches.

From a technology standpoint, it's probably a wash - while the Atom is fine for most tasks, Win7 and XP weren't designed for touch input; they're full-blown OS', while the iPhone OS is designed with touch input in mind, and it uses a low-power ARM CPU that gets 9-10 hours of battery life.

I personally don't see the appeal in the iPad or tablets in general, but Apple is taking a smart (easy) route, by blowing up the iPod Touch to a bigger form.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 10:35 AM
  #9
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,207
vCash: 500
TOO MANY SERIOUS POSTS!
Get back on Topic!

VELCRO + iPAD!

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 10:48 AM
  #10
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clovis, California
Country: United States
Posts: 12,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
TOO MANY SERIOUS POSTS!
Get back on Topic!

VELCRO + iPAD!
Works well enough, but would want something more 'elegant' - no way in hell am I going to put strips of velco on my car's dash, walls, stove, etc.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:05 PM
  #11
Puck
Ninja
 
Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Tahiti
Posts: 8,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
TOO MANY SERIOUS POSTS!
Get back on Topic!

VELCRO + iPAD!
Meh. No way I put Velcro on my Lamborghini Gallardo. Seriously.

Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:38 PM
  #12
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,082
vCash: 500
That video is gold, seen it before, I wouldn't do any of the things the guy did with his iPad in real life...the stove, the motorcycle, the ceiling (wtf) recipe for disaster.

Props for a fun video.

On a serious note, mine will be arriving next week.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 03:53 PM
  #13
FruityPants3*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
TOO MANY SERIOUS POSTS!
Get back on Topic!

VELCRO + iPAD!
You are a jerk. This was actually the most coherent and intelligent discussion I've seen about an Apple product on this forum.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 05:51 PM
  #14
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
That video is gold, seen it before, I wouldn't do any of the things the guy did with his iPad in real life...the stove, the motorcycle, the ceiling (wtf) recipe for disaster.

Props for a fun video.

On a serious note, mine will be arriving next week.
I can see the Velcro giving up and the iPad smacking that person in the face as the sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
You are a jerk. This was actually the most coherent and intelligent discussion I've seen about an Apple product on this forum.
I know. I thought I was in bizzaro world or something.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 07:31 PM
  #15
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clovis, California
Country: United States
Posts: 12,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
That video is gold, seen it before, I wouldn't do any of the things the guy did with his iPad in real life...the stove, the motorcycle, the ceiling (wtf) recipe for disaster.

Props for a fun video.

On a serious note, mine will be arriving next week.
I thought you were waiting until iPad version 2.0...eh, couldn't resist something new and shiny.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:31 PM
  #16
Frankie Spankie
Registered User
 
Frankie Spankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dorchester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,167
vCash: 500


And as a side note, why would anybody put velcro on their window? Seriously?

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:35 PM
  #17
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
I thought you were waiting until iPad version 2.0...eh, couldn't resist something new and shiny.
Changed my mind for a variety of reasons, after weeks of contemplating (believe me, it took serious thought).

One reason was that Gen 2 won't be a major upgrade. Besides a speed/HD bump, I really don't believe there will be anything groundbreaking. Gen 3, however, may be more interesting. Also by then, 4G will be out, so no sense in getting a 3G iPad in Gen 2 only to have it become obsolete in less than a year.

That's one of my reasons. Others include a lack of any powerful device to use outside of my desktop (my Mini 9 doens't do much outside of note-taking. Hate the keyboard and screen, can't play higher quality vids, the list goes on, add to that ****** battery life).

Take the Mini 9 out and I'm stuck to a desktop, so I figured why not give the iPad a shot now instead of gen 2. Heading to university (Canada) soon anyway, plus I've (finally) going to get a device for my own media consumption. Got tired of watching stuff on my iMac.

Anyway, it's not because it's "new and shiny" (and I take that as an implied jab at those who keep stating that as a reason for the millions "flocking" to buy the iPad), mainly because I'll have many uses for it. If I have a full-fledged MBP or Sony, etc, I probably wouldn't have bought it. Also be using it in class, and everywhere pretty much to surf the net (now I can participate in GDT's on here more often AND watch the game, yay!).

I've had some writeups as to why I chose to buy one in some other iPad-related threads, too lazy to bring every reason back up in detail again. However, if it doesn't do what I want it to do or I'm disappointed with it, I will not hesitate to return it and wait for a future iteration and go back to my (gulp) hackintoshed Mini 9.



Now we turned this into a serious thread!

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:42 PM
  #18
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post


And as a side note, why would anybody put velcro on their window? Seriously?
What people fail to understand in making supposedly clever graphs like these is that the iPad isn't like a netbook or any traditional computer. It's a new kind of device, Apple has basically created something in between a computer and (jeez I sound like Jobs now) a phone.

Thus, comparing it to a category of device it is not a part of is irrelevant.

Using an iPad is not the same as using a netbook, not even close. Netbooks run a desktop OS on mediocre hardware and were invented for people who didn't want to dish out and buy an expensive laptop. The iPad/HP Slate aim to fill a need that doesn't require a full out computer, but can do the things they do well. The hardware (besides HD space) is irrelevant in an iPad and the Slate (both which run MOBILE OSes) because it's not a ****ing computer, you're not going to be running Photoshop and Premiere on there and exporting gigabytes of videos, that's what a computer does (certainly not a netbook either).

That's why tablets like those are the future, they're not replacements for computers (at least not yet). Ironic the Eee Pad is announced and this graph compares the iPad to an Eee PC when the Eee Pad is going to directly compete against the iPad...which renders this graph even more irrelevant now that Asus has entered the game with something similar to iPad, yet different (desktop OS...)

/rant over

When netbooks are dead and iPads/HP Slates are what people use, I won't be surprised. The Eee Pad is destined for fail too because it runs Win 7. Have Asus not learned you can't make a tablet with a desktop OS and have it be successful? HP and Apple got that memo, hell, even Dell did with the Streak.

You're a self-proclaimed Apple hater anyway, so please, flame away.


Last edited by Coldplay: 06-01-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:09 PM
  #19
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
What people fail to understand in making supposedly clever graphs like these is that the iPad isn't like a netbook or any traditional computer. It's a new kind of device, Apple has basically created something in between a computer and (jeez I sound like Jobs now) a phone.

Thus, comparing it to a category of device it is not a part of is irrelevant.

Using an iPad is not the same as using a netbook, not even close. Netbooks run a desktop OS on mediocre hardware and were invented for people who didn't want to dish out and buy an expensive laptop. The iPad/HP Slate aim to fill a need that doesn't require a full out computer, but can do the things they do well. The hardware (besides HD space) is irrelevant in an iPad and the Slate (both which run MOBILE OSes) because it's not a ****ing computer, you're not going to be running Photoshop and Premiere on there and exporting gigabytes of videos, that's what a computer does (certainly not a netbook either).

That's why tablets like those are the future, they're not replacements for computers (at least not yet). Ironic the Eee Pad is announced and this graph compares the iPad to an Eee PC when the Eee Pad is going to directly compete against the iPad...which renders this graph even more irrelevant now that Asus has entered the game with something similar to iPad, yet different (desktop OS...)

/rant over

When netbooks are dead and iPads/HP Slates are what people use, I won't be surprised. The Eee Pad is destined for fail too because it runs Win 7. Have Asus not learned you can't make a tablet with a desktop OS and have it be successful? HP and Apple got that memo, hell, even Dell did with the Streak.

You're a self-proclaimed Apple hater anyway, so please, flame away.
I get what you're saying, but the lack of ports, multitasking, and Flash would annoy me. The lack of a card reader would too, just simply because of the limited storage. The other stuff - I think is to be expected, because it's a different kind of device like you said.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:48 PM
  #20
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
What people fail to understand in making supposedly clever graphs like these is that the iPad isn't like a netbook or any traditional computer. It's a new kind of device, Apple has basically created something in between a computer and (jeez I sound like Jobs now) a phone.

Thus, comparing it to a category of device it is not a part of is irrelevant.

Using an iPad is not the same as using a netbook, not even close. Netbooks run a desktop OS on mediocre hardware and were invented for people who didn't want to dish out and buy an expensive laptop. The iPad/HP Slate aim to fill a need that doesn't require a full out computer, but can do the things they do well. The hardware (besides HD space) is irrelevant in an iPad and the Slate (both which run MOBILE OSes) because it's not a ****ing computer, you're not going to be running Photoshop and Premiere on there and exporting gigabytes of videos, that's what a computer does (certainly not a netbook either).

That's why tablets like those are the future, they're not replacements for computers (at least not yet). Ironic the Eee Pad is announced and this graph compares the iPad to an Eee PC when the Eee Pad is going to directly compete against the iPad...which renders this graph even more irrelevant now that Asus has entered the game with something similar to iPad, yet different (desktop OS...)

/rant over

When netbooks are dead and iPads/HP Slates are what people use, I won't be surprised. The Eee Pad is destined for fail too because it runs Win 7. Have Asus not learned you can't make a tablet with a desktop OS and have it be successful? HP and Apple got that memo, hell, even Dell did with the Streak.

You're a self-proclaimed Apple hater anyway, so please, flame away.
So you're saying it's a Giant iPod Touch. Good to hear you've finally conceded your position.

Ohh and don't give me the Apple created a new category of device garbage.
It existed before.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:39 AM
  #21
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 40,317
vCash: 500
iPad $500

book $20

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:34 AM
  #22
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
So you're saying it's a Giant iPod Touch. Good to hear you've finally conceded your position.

Ohh and don't give me the Apple created a new category of device garbage.
It existed before.
****tongue in-cheek post upcoming, for those that may want to argue senselessly****

So by that logic, an HDTV is a giant regular TV (y'know what I'm talkin' about, the ones were were pimpin' less than a decade ago )? and a laptop is a giant netbook? and a mansion is just a big bungalow? Sometimes bigger is better.

Funnily enough, Apple created the concept of the iPad before the iPhone/iPod touch...so iPod touch is more like iPad mini.
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/02/...eceded-iphone/

Second, then you tell me what it is. Is it a computer? a tablet? a phone? It's certainly not a big mp3 player either since to call an iPod touch an mp3 player is diminutive. . It also has the potential/capacity to do much more than a simple Touch can do. It's a "third" device (much like the HP Slate with webOS) that fits in between a full-blown laptop and a phone, it fills that gap.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
iPad $500

book $20
Not sure if you're joking, but if you aren't...beside the fact iPad is not a dedicated ebook reader (though it has that capability), here's a better comparison:

Kindle $259
book $20



EDIT: And epic fail by AT&T, now Rogers actually has better plans than them
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/02/...new-customers/


Last edited by Coldplay: 06-02-2010 at 05:47 AM.
Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 08:53 AM
  #23
Frankie Spankie
Registered User
 
Frankie Spankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dorchester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
What people fail to understand in making supposedly clever graphs like these is that the iPad isn't like a netbook or any traditional computer. It's a new kind of device, Apple has basically created something in between a computer and (jeez I sound like Jobs now) a phone.

Thus, comparing it to a category of device it is not a part of is irrelevant.

Using an iPad is not the same as using a netbook, not even close. Netbooks run a desktop OS on mediocre hardware and were invented for people who didn't want to dish out and buy an expensive laptop. The iPad/HP Slate aim to fill a need that doesn't require a full out computer, but can do the things they do well. The hardware (besides HD space) is irrelevant in an iPad and the Slate (both which run MOBILE OSes) because it's not a ****ing computer, you're not going to be running Photoshop and Premiere on there and exporting gigabytes of videos, that's what a computer does (certainly not a netbook either).

That's why tablets like those are the future, they're not replacements for computers (at least not yet). Ironic the Eee Pad is announced and this graph compares the iPad to an Eee PC when the Eee Pad is going to directly compete against the iPad...which renders this graph even more irrelevant now that Asus has entered the game with something similar to iPad, yet different (desktop OS...)

/rant over

When netbooks are dead and iPads/HP Slates are what people use, I won't be surprised. The Eee Pad is destined for fail too because it runs Win 7. Have Asus not learned you can't make a tablet with a desktop OS and have it be successful? HP and Apple got that memo, hell, even Dell did with the Streak.

You're a self-proclaimed Apple hater anyway, so please, flame away.
Heh, I know that, I just love that little graph. The thing is, I realize that it is kind of the wave of the future, but the technology just isn't there yet. I know, I know, it's the start of a new technological wave and I respect that, but the fact that a cheaper device can do more than it makes it kind of pointless. I'm sure that devices like the iPads will take over in a couple of years but as of right now, laptops are just miles ahead still and aside from business, I don't see the need for iPads.

I'll admit, I do love my jabs at Apple! But frankly, I don't see any reason for the average consumer to choose an iPad over a netbook. Would you pay more for fewer features for something that's shiny? I can't think of many people that will.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 09:13 AM
  #24
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
I`m still on the fence about the iPad.
But with Velcro you can have your iPad on the fence.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 09:33 AM
  #25
PatrickEaves
Moderator
Karan S'Jet
 
PatrickEaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
That's part of the reason why the iPad works, from a UI standpoint.

It doesn't take that much to browse a webpage or view photos, and if all you support is a handful of audio/video formats, that's near trivial as well, and it's all tried and tested with previous iPhone/Touches.

From a technology standpoint, it's probably a wash - while the Atom is fine for most tasks, Win7 and XP weren't designed for touch input; they're full-blown OS', while the iPhone OS is designed with touch input in mind, and it uses a low-power ARM CPU that gets 9-10 hours of battery life.

I personally don't see the appeal in the iPad or tablets in general, but Apple is taking a smart (easy) route, by blowing up the iPod Touch to a bigger form.
Wrong.

Windows 7 is probably the first full OS that was designed with touch as a legit input feature instead of just gimmick. It works, and it works well, and it doesn't matter if your screen is a single touch screen or a multitouch screen.

Heck, I'm typing this on my Asus T91MT, but I use this in pure tablet mode a good portion of the time (any time I don't need to type) and I can function just fine.

--

As well, not only was this cheaper than an iPad, I have access to a real keyboard when I need to do more typing than an on screen keyboard is comfortable for. I also have access to a stylus for handwriting and drawing, the ability to play flash (though the processor can't really handle HD flash - or most HD video - I'd have to admit), and the ability to open more than one program at a time .


Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
When netbooks are dead and iPads/HP Slates are what people use, I won't be surprised. The Eee Pad is destined for fail too because it runs Win 7. Have Asus not learned you can't make a tablet with a desktop OS and have it be successful? HP and Apple got that memo, hell, even Dell did with the Streak.
This where you're wrong. I'm pretty sure I love the fact that my T91MT has Windows 7 on it. It means I get to use all those shiny programs designed for a full blown desktop OS instead of having to settle for gimped application versions designed for smartphones and their limited hardware specs and tiny pocket screens.


Last edited by PatrickEaves: 06-02-2010 at 09:43 AM.
PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.