HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

For those on the fence about the iPad

Old
06-02-2010, 10:12 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyBass View Post
Wrong.

Windows 7 is probably the first full OS that was designed with touch as a legit input feature instead of just gimmick. It works, and it works well, and it doesn't matter if your screen is a single touch screen or a multitouch screen.

Heck, I'm typing this on my Asus T91MT, but I use this in pure tablet mode a good portion of the time (any time I don't need to type) and I can function just fine.

--

As well, not only was this cheaper than an iPad, I have access to a real keyboard when I need to do more typing than an on screen keyboard is comfortable for. I also have access to a stylus for handwriting and drawing, the ability to play flash (though the processor can't really handle HD flash - or most HD video - I'd have to admit), and the ability to open more than one program at a time .

This where you're wrong. I'm pretty sure I love the fact that my T91MT has Windows 7 on it. It means I get to use all those shiny programs designed for a full blown desktop OS instead of having to settle for gimped application versions designed for smartphones and their limited hardware specs and tiny pocket screens.
Looking at reviews now...I want one.

I've been considering that for what I use my laptop for, I may just get a netbook if my laptop dies. Bad idea?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 10:31 AM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Looking at reviews now...I want one.

I've been considering that for what I use my laptop for, I may just get a netbook if my laptop dies. Bad idea?
Depends what you use your laptop for.

I love my T91MT but there are quite a few limitations to it. The processor is pretty underpowered (see: it can't play HD videos), and the lack of a removable battery really sucks if you want to keep the system plugged in for heavy long term use. As well, the keyboard pretty darn small, which means you don't want to be typing long essays up on it.

I got this because of the form factor, along with the touch screen for graphs when note taking for school. As well, the SSD means there is no fan in the system, which is pretty nice for noise and carrying, and the shock resistant nature of an SSD compared to a HDD is an added bonus. However, if you don't need these features you're probably better off getting another netbook or another laptop depending on whether portability or power is what you need. (Note: if you do decide to get it, upgrading to 2GB of RAM is highly highly recommended, but this is standard advice for pretty much every netbook that ships with <2GB of RAM)

BUT, if the touchscreen is something you really need/want (and aren't willing to shell out the cash for a real tablet), you might want to take a look at the T101/T101MT instead. For a marginally higher price you get a much better processor and an additional 1.2" in screen real estate, along with more RAM and a much better keyboard. The drawbacks being no SSD (ewww fans - yay more HDD space), and the gimped version of Windows 7 (starter).

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:00 AM
neofury*

I'm not an apple fan here, but the iphone and ipod are solid products, Apple just needs to learn to make products that have a real purpose, not just a gimmick. iphone upstages many other phones of similar types, as does the ipod for mp3 players. Not quite sure the ipad, itouch, etc do much of anything though. Same goes for their lappy's which I'd much rather own a sony/other brand.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:16 AM
invictus

Steve Jobs Muses on All Things Apple

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...ple/?th&emc=th
Quote:
Mr. Jobs also predicted that the ongoing shift in technology away from the PC and toward mobile devices will continue. But rather than disappear, the PC will become a niche product, he said. Mr. Jobs compared the role of the PC, the workhorse of computing for the past three decades, with that of the truck, when America was primarily an agrarian nation. “All cars were trucks because that’s what you needed on the farm,” he said. Now trucks are one in 25 to 30 vehicles sold, he said. “PCs are going to be like trucks. They will still be around.” He added, “This transformation is going to make some people uneasy.”

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:18 AM
FruityPants3*

I was pretty impressed when I took the time to check out some of the interactive magazines like Wired. I think I've determined this is the ultimate bathroom device. Man, if this was a different brand and made it's way into Maxim as the ultimate bathroom device, everyone would want one.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post

Sorry, but there's no way that the only 3.3-4% of vehicles on the road are trucks, not even close.

And fruity, it would make an excellent bathroom device. But I don't know many people that would spend $500 on a bathroom device.

Frankie Spankie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
did steve jobs really say a netbook can't do anything the ipad can't? hard to argue the comparison when steve jobs invited it himself. i do understand it's a media device and it's interesting because the track pad sucks and that input method is more important than a keyboard if you're not doing actual work (or awesome things like posting on hfboards), but why invite that comparison? i think he deserves graphics making fun of him, i mean that's getting off easy if you can just say stuff like that and the least you get in return is that graphic.

Last edited by Cone: 06-02-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
I was pretty impressed when I took the time to check out some of the interactive magazines like Wired. I think I've determined this is the ultimate bathroom device. Man, if this was a different brand and made it's way into Maxim as the ultimate bathroom device, everyone would want one.
/end thread

Well... until the iPotty comes out.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 01:01 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post

Sorry, but there's no way that the only 3.3-4% of vehicles on the road are trucks, not even close.

And fruity, it would make an excellent bathroom device. But I don't know many people that would spend $500 on a bathroom device.
$500 is nothing when you consider how much your productivity would increase annually.

Old
06-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Frankie Spankie

If you had an iPad in your bathroom would you be doing work or watching TV shows? If anything, I bet your productivity would be going down.

Old
06-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
But with Velcro you can have your iPad on the fence.
Post of the day.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:01 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektovanek View Post
Post of the day.
Glad someone enjoyed it, I thought that post totally bombed.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Frankie Spankie

Don't feel bad, I laughed when I read it too, I just didn't quote it.

Old
06-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
It's no worse than what I was tempted to say. Something along the lines of "isn't this thread more for people who want their iPad on the fence?" So yeah, better you than me

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:19 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post
If you had an iPad in your bathroom would you be doing work or watching TV shows? If anything, I bet your productivity would be going down.
It would depend on your definition of work, what kind of TV shows, and what you'd consider productivity.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
I went straight to the second page of the thread but I definitely enjoyed it when I saw it quoted.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:09 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I am totally anti Apple but I must admit I like the idea of the iPad just not what it is at this point. Maybe in a future generation of it I might change my mind.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:09 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I am totally anti Apple but I must admit I like the idea of the iPad just not what it is at this point. Maybe in a future generation of it I might change my mind.
Yeah when a legit and fairly priced G3/G4 model comes out maybe?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 03:25 PM
ILuvLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
What people fail to understand in making supposedly clever graphs like these is that the iPad isn't like a netbook or any traditional computer. It's a new kind of device, Apple has basically created something in between a computer and (jeez I sound like Jobs now) a phone.

Thus, comparing it to a category of device it is not a part of is irrelevant.

Using an iPad is not the same as using a netbook, not even close. Netbooks run a desktop OS on mediocre hardware and were invented for people who didn't want to dish out and buy an expensive laptop. The iPad/HP Slate aim to fill a need that doesn't require a full out computer, but can do the things they do well. The hardware (besides HD space) is irrelevant in an iPad and the Slate (both which run MOBILE OSes) because it's not a ****ing computer, you're not going to be running Photoshop and Premiere on there and exporting gigabytes of videos, that's what a computer does (certainly not a netbook either).

That's why tablets like those are the future, they're not replacements for computers (at least not yet). Ironic the Eee Pad is announced and this graph compares the iPad to an Eee PC when the Eee Pad is going to directly compete against the iPad...which renders this graph even more irrelevant now that Asus has entered the game with something similar to iPad, yet different (desktop OS...)

/rant over

When netbooks are dead and iPads/HP Slates are what people use, I won't be surprised. The Eee Pad is destined for fail too because it runs Win 7. Have Asus not learned you can't make a tablet with a desktop OS and have it be successful? HP and Apple got that memo, hell, even Dell did with the Streak.

You're a self-proclaimed Apple hater anyway, so please, flame away.
Which is stupid.

It is like those little brushes(iPad) they sell so you can clean in between your teeth individually. They are easier to use than floss (iPhone), but stupid because you have a toothbrush (Laptop, PC) that can clean multiple teeth at once.

Basically all they have done is created the step before PCs and Laptops if said pieces of technology had evolved from smartphones.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 03:28 PM
FruityPants3*

They are easier than floss and do a better job than toothbrushes. So like iPad, they do a specific niche well.

(BTW I've never heard of those)

Old
06-04-2010, 03:40 PM
ILuvLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
They are easier than floss and do a better job than toothbrushes. So like iPad, they do a specific niche well.

(BTW I've never heard of those)
Yes, the niche of people that do not realize they can keep their teeth and gums healthy with only a brush and floss. The tiny floss/brush hybrid is just a gimmick and wasted money.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 03:56 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezia View Post
Yes, the niche of people that do not realize they can keep their teeth and gums healthy with only a brush and floss. The tiny floss/brush hybrid is just a gimmick and wasted money.
Welcome to consumerism.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote