HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs release Nicklas Torp (163rd pick in 2007) & Jason Missiaen (118th pick in 2008)

Old
06-01-2010, 04:47 PM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Yea McDonagh is better then Subban, right. You'll so full of knowledge, it's great to have you around, always got your facts correct, like Timmins and his obession with drafting small Americans, which of course he doesn't do but hey when your slinging the mud, why let facts ruin the party.

Funny you bring up Darche as one of the 10 call ups we had this year, but nothing about the impressive play of Subban, White or Pyatt, even Carle didn't look out of place. But that would be positive.
I didn't say he was better but he was yet another 1st round selection that will go down as yet another brain fart in a ever growning list that gets excused by the teeming masses.

- A. Kostitsyn (Maybe Gone Maybe Bust)
- K. Chipchura (Gone)
- C. Price (Maybe Gone)
- D. Fischer (Gone)
- R. McDonagh (Gone)
- D. Kristo (?)
- L. Leblanc (?)

Obviously Kristo and Leblanc still havn't written their story but it isn't exactly promising. Kristo might be good. How many 1st round selections can be lost without any playing time and how many players can be picked and then traded away for nothing?

If you don't make good 1st round selections odds are you will NEVER draft a franchise player.

timmins does draft small players, just because someone is 6ft tall doesn't mean he plays that size. Never was this more evident than in this last round against Philly, players throwing the puck away before any contact, being petrified of going into corners. Pure fear of contact, our 6ft marshmellows were completly outmuscled.

Yeah Subban will probably be decent and like I said he should take a long hard look at Markovs career because that will be him soon, surrounded by garbage. The team has had the same needs for 10 years now go by year after year NEVER addressed and yet people keep saying "wait one more year" no thanks.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 04:51 PM
parachutist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
What's the greatest souvenir of David Fischer? His "top titty" expression.

that was indeed GOLD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mxwcnR8Sok

Come on Fischer, we want one more top titty before you officially bust...

parachutist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 04:57 PM
BigHabs

I honestly like everything that is going on.

It kind of feels like a new refresh coming. Gauthier is clearing house along with the Molson's.

Clearing out crap and making a new team and organization.

Questionable picks and Prospects out the door!
Scouting well most of it out the door!

I think they are trying to fix the prospects and everything, its just lately, I dunno what it is but we have been getting a lot of busts lately. Nothing hurts more than ex. Carter, Getzlaf, Ricahrds - Andrei Kostitsyn

I am hoping Pacioretty, Leblanc, Kristo turn out to be gems for us. Price is still young just needs time to get it all together, he can be a franchise goalie.

I dont know if its just me, but it seems like our team is going North American, I look at our team even through the prospects, we have Engqvist, but I find Finns and Swedes play North American style but we don't have any in our lineup. If you look at the teams that make the playoffs, most of them are North American players.

I like the direction in my opinion the organization is going. Its probably going to take awhile, cause it don't form over night, but it will happen. I think they are just a little restless of be at the bottom of the pack every year for playoffs, and want to become bigger, stronger, contender, and top of league again like many years ago.

Don't get me wrong being underdogs this year did help, but it wont work every year. Thats why I think house is being cleaned.

Last edited by BigHabs: 06-01-2010 at 05:03 PM.
BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Are you serious? Now, take a look at all the bust surrounding the pick. Stop with this « we could have him instead of him » non sense. It's just plain stupid.

Think of it this way. Every team would change one of their pick for Subban. Same goes for Halak, and even Grabovski!

Tell me, is it possible to be perfect in a draft? No! When you get two players, you have a good draft...three, it's a great draft. Now stop it!
FHF, the idea is just you don't sign as raw a prospect you can find in a list, and not signed him after 2 years. It makes no sense whatsoever. At least in Fischer's case, you draft a raw player and you use all 4 years to evaluate him. If by your own admission you draft a guy you know you'll have 2 years to sign and YOU KNOW that he's still be a project, why the heck would you draft him? It makes no sense whatsoever.

Here's an article from March 25th 2009 from Timmins about Missiaen:

Quote:
Timmins a bien aimé la performance de Missiaen, dimanche, dans un match de premier tour éliminatoire contre le Battalion de Brampton.

«Il a été extraordinaire. Brampton avait l'avantage 23-1 dans les tirs après une période. Son club a finalement perdu 5-4 en prolongation après avoir accordé 63 lancers contre 14. Missiaen est un «projet» dont nous sommes très satisfaits de la progression. Il a obtenu le poste de gardien numéro un à Peterborough à la suite d'un échange qui a envoyé Trevor Cann à London au cours de l'hiver. Il ne faut pas se fier aux statistiques dans son cas parce qu'il joue pour un club faible et inexpérimenté en défense.»
He was extraordinairy......Missiaen is a "project" and we're really satisfied with his progression. You can't base yourself on stats in his case 'cause he's playing for a weak and unexperimented team on defense.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...-quebecois.php

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 05:05 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

i have a feeling that this is Timmins last draft.

Or even, last year's was his last draft.

Just a gut feeling.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Very disappointing news about Torp in particular. When he was drafted, I felt we got a steal in Torp, who was projected to be a first rounder but who was set back because of injury. I was hopeful that it would turn out to be a great pick. Sadly, not the case 2 years later.

And Missiaen may not be a great quality keeper, but the Gazette team certainly liked him, and he got several articles printed over the years because of what he looks like. Shame it didn't pan out for him either, but not altogether surprising.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 05:18 PM
marchabsfan

fischer=bust.
can we say it now?

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Now if we can stop always picking American players and start looking at the Q and the CHL, not Russia or South Nowhere Land.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:15 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
A lot of us hated the Fischer pick right from the beginning (I did as well) but I find it hilarious at how many wanna-be scouts are suddenly experts...4 years after the fact.

"Well, I would have picked so and so instead."

Sure you would have...It's easy to say this now, but were you saying this 4 years ago?

And by the way, this post isn't aimed at everyone.
At that point, I swear I wanted Bobby Sanguinetti. I still don't understand what looked so great about drafting a one=way, defensive defenseman at #20, especially when most services of scouting had him going in them iddle of the 2nd round.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
At that point, I swear I wanted Bobby Sanguinetti. I still don't understand what looked so great about drafting a one=way, defensive defenseman at #20, especially when most services of scouting had him going in them iddle of the 2nd round.
It's weird you criticize a pick about a one-way defenseman when Sanguinetti could've been the poster boy for that in the 06 draft.

Fischer looked like a reach, but not a huge one either. They were banking on his offensive game to develop since his defensive game was pretty solid. He was a smooth skater and could start up the offense quickly.

Unfortunately, even his defensive game seems to have stalled.

People saying he was an awful pick are right. Though, at that time, there was no way to expect that kind of product 4 years after. He was an early 2nd round choice at worst and I don't think one team would be happy to see this even from a 2nd round choice. A lot of things went wrong in his case, but I'd rather give him a shot now that he's on the chopping block for pretty much every year from here on out and it might bring out some of the talent they saw in him on draft day.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:30 PM
scottyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I didn't say he was better but he was yet another 1st round selection that will go down as yet another brain fart in a ever growning list that gets excused by the teeming masses.

- K. Chipchura (Gone)
- C. Price (Maybe Gone)
- D. Fischer (Gone)
- R. McDonagh (Gone)
- D. Kristo (?)
- L. Leblanc (?)

Obviously Kristo and Leblanc still havn't written their story but it isn't exactly promising. Kristo might be good. How many 1st round selections can be lost without any playing time and how many players can be picked and then traded away for nothing?

If you don't make good 1st round selections odds are you will NEVER draft a franchise player.

timmins does draft small players, just because someone is 6ft tall doesn't mean he plays that size. Never was this more evident than in this last round against Philly, players throwing the puck away before any contact, being petrified of going into corners. Pure fear of contact, our 6ft marshmellows were completly outmuscled.

Yeah Subban will probably be decent and like I said he should take a long hard look at Markovs career because that will be him soon, surrounded by garbage. The team has had the same needs for 10 years now go by year after year NEVER addressed and yet people keep saying "wait one more year" no thanks.
- A.Kostitsyn: Bad pick because of who came after but not a bust.
- Chipchura: Go look at who was taken before/after him, save a couple picks most of them have done nothing
- Price: Gone if another potential franchise play is coming back. My moneys on him being our #1 next year.
2006: Fisher was a bad pick, no doubt but that happens
2007: Considering that most player in the top 10 of that draft have done nothing, its unfair to say we made bad choices from 11-22 overall.
In 2007 we got Mcd,Paccioretty,Subban,Weber. That's pretty good for 1 draft

As you can see Montreal hasn't really made many "bad picks"

Last edited by scottyG: 06-01-2010 at 06:35 PM.
scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Actually, Fischer was supposed to be a two-way defenceman. At the time, that's what he was.

From the hockey news, who had him 25th...

Quote:
Fischer boasts a package of skills and is attractive to many teams. He has a better than average quickness and uses that speed to bring the puck up the ice at a fast pace.

NHL translation : two-way defenseman
Things are not looking great for him, but at the time, I was happy with the selection because he was looking like a complete defenseman who had the potential to become a less good Wade Redden (in his good years)

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
It's weird you criticize a pick about a one-way defenseman when Sanguinetti could've been the poster boy for that in the 06 draft.

Fischer looked like a reach, but not a huge one either. They were banking on his offensive game to develop since his defensive game was pretty solid. He was a smooth skater and could start up the offense quickly.

Unfortunately, even his defensive game seems to have stalled.

People saying he was an awful pick are right. Though, at that time, there was no way to see that kind of product 4 years after. He was an early 2nd round choice at worst and I don't think one team would be happy to see this even from a 2nd round choice. A lot of things went wrong in his case, but I'd rather give him a shot now that he's on the chopping block for pretty much every year from here on out and it might bring out some of the talent they saw in him on draft day.
You have to wonder though......it's rare that you have so many bad comments about a prospect than what Fischer had at the draft. I mean surely Columbus isn't exactly the scouting bible but to hear how not only he wasn't a favorite of them but he was a ND and so did other teams thought that way, you really have to wonder what happened there.

Yes, most lists had him end of 1st round or 2nd round. But most guys in those agencies (and Bob McKenzie) do not necessarily go further with the players than having interviews with him, talking to his surroundings, coaches and so on.....

For a player to get a ND.....it had to be pretty obvious. And guess what, one of the things that might not make Fischer a NHL player is not his quality as a hockey player, it's his commitment to improve. And he said himself last year......That's not just a miss. It's a big one.

Old
06-01-2010, 06:36 PM
marchabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by parachutist View Post
CanadienErrant, you are a genius. You need to replace Timmins NOW.

Bad draft picks by habs =
Good picks by other teams =
you are a genius:

Good picks by other teams = :

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:41 PM
kent_carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
fischer=bust.
can we say it now?
Not really, but a waste of a 1st rounder, we could have Chris Stewart instead.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You have to wonder though......it's rare that you have so many bad comments about a prospect than what Fischer had at the draft. I mean surely Columbus isn't exactly the scouting bible but to hear how not only he wasn't a favorite of them but he was a ND and so did other teams thought that way, you really have to wonder what happened there.

Yes, most lists had him end of 1st round or 2nd round. But most guys in those agencies (and Bob McKenzie) do not necessarily go further with the players than having interviews with him, talking to his surroundings, coaches and so on.....

For a player to get a ND.....it had to be pretty obvious. And guess what, one of the things that might not make Fischer a NHL player is not his quality as a hockey player, it's his commitment to improve. And he said himself last year......That's not just a miss. It's a big one.
There's some truth to this, but then there's the illness, his mother's death and whatnot, factored in with the bad coaching, you have to wonder how much is actually on the player.

Not making excuses, but he's a pretty special case.

As I've said before, Columbus may have been right on Fischer, but they also had Maxwell in the top 20. I'm not sure if you can say they had a good eye when looking at Fischer, or it was just a fluke.

Their top pick in that draft, while still a solid young player, has some catching up to do considering they passed up Mueller and Okposo. Not that I can really stick it in their face, since Brass was a guy I hoped the Habs would move up to get

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:45 PM
tiredman

I'm disappointed the team seems to not even give a chance to Fischer to develop in the AHL...

If the coaches were terrible in Minnesota then it makes us wonder what he could develop into with good coaches like Boucher in Hamilton...

I would have given him the minimum; we have nothing to lose. And if he had decided to give up on his hockey carreer, we would have received a pick in compensation.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
- A.Kostitsyn: Bad pick because of who came after but not a bust.
- Chipchura: Go look at who was taken before/after him, save a couple picks most of them have done nothing
- Price: Gone if another potential franchise play is coming back. My moneys on him being our #1 next year.
2006: Fisher was a bad pick, no doubt but that happens
2007: Considering that most player in the top 10 of that draft have done nothing, its unfair to say we made bad choices from 11-22 overall.
In 2007 we got Mcd,Paccioretty,Subban,Weber. That's pretty good for 1 draft

As you can see Montreal hasn't really made many "bad picks"
2003: Well who came after IS a big reason why the player you chose isn't a great pick.
2004: True. Yet, while unspectacular, Zajac, Wolski, Meszaros, Schultz, Green, Bolland etc. would have been able to do more than he did. But let say that it was an honest mistake. Though my pick was Green at the time. Yet, it's another fail in our organization.
2005. Too soon to call. Yet, a couple of guys in there are already playing a huge role. But he can turn it around.
2006: Don't need to say more.
2007: Well, let's hope MaxPac explodes soon 'cause you're ready to see some 2007 explosions as soon as next year with some of those players. No signs of it yet.....but Eller, Shattenkirk, Cole, Nash, Blum and Backlund and Perron are already playing a role. THIS IS A HINDSIGHT EXERCICE....but would you go for? Eller or Cole and Perron or McDo and MaxPac? Add the unknown à la Smith, Petrecki, and tons of others in the 2nd and 3rd round and 2007 might develop into a slow but strong draft. Some players in there might take a longer time but they will develop into something interesting. Yet, we have Subban. But let's wait before calling Weber "great".....If so, Nick Palmieri is great as well.

I think that the point is that no matter how you look at it RIGHT NOW, none of our 1st rounders since 2003 have helped this team greatly or are considered important players for the future because of what they already bring.

The lack of success in our 1st round is directly related to the money we had to spend last summer and the lack of cap space we have now.

Old
06-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Fire Brunet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKSubban View Post
Yeah, his new family, the Columbus Blue Jackets
good one PK

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:52 PM
parachutist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
I'm disappointed the team seems to not even give a chance to Fischer to develop in the AHL...

If the coaches were terrible in Minnesota then it makes us wonder what he could develop into with good coaches like Boucher in Hamilton...

I would have given him the minimum; we have nothing to lose. And if he had decided to give up on his hockey carreer, we would have received a pick in compensation.
That'll be interesting to see as Boucher said he was impressed by Fischer last year at development camp, liked his skating and size. Too bad time is running out for him. A guy like Claude Giroux admitted himself that his work ethic wasn't so great before but changed with Benoit Groulx as a coach.

Old
06-01-2010, 06:56 PM
parachutist

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
you are a genius:

Good picks by other teams = :
I'd say I'm pretty average or semi-dumb. I have no problem with that though.

Old
06-01-2010, 07:24 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
We'll get the 50th overall selection in 2011, if we offer him a contract, and he doesn't sign.

But he'd be crazy not to accept any offer put on the table, because I highly doubt we'll see a "David Fischer sweepstakes" if he becomes a UFA.
Is there a financial limit we have to offer?

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 07:39 PM
HABitual Fan

I have no problem with these moves. Sure it sucks wasting draft picks, but it is better to use the 50 pro contracts on players you think you can develop, then on those which time has proven you cannot. I prefer givng a chance to 6 players in the ECHL for a year like Desharnais did, and earning his contract, then giving contracts to such luminaries like Lambert, Urquhart, Bonneau, Ferland, Aubin, Gleed etc... because they were drafted by you. This will not be so much a test of who was let go, but rather who will fill those 50 spots.

According to capgeek, our current list is at 43 players with Philippe Lefebvre not counting if he doesn't play 11 NHL games

1. Gomez, Scott » NTC (can list three teams he will not accept a trade to) F 30 $7,357,143
$0 2014 ( UFA)
2. Cammalleri, Mike » Limited NTC F 27 $6,000,000
$0 2014 ( UFA)
3. Markov, Andrei » NTC (until Feb. 1, 2011, can designate seven teams in each conference he will accept a trade to) D 31 $5,750,000
$0 2011 ( UFA)
4. Hamrlik, Roman » NTC (full NTC until Feb. 1, 2009; from Feb. 1, 2009, to Feb. 1, 2011, can designate six teams in each conference he will accept a trade to; no NTC beyond that) D 36 $5,500,000
$0 2011 ( UFA)
5. Gionta, Brian » NTC F 31 $5,000,000
$0 2014 ( UFA)
6. Spacek, Jaroslav » 35+ Limited NTC D 36 $3,833,333
$0 2012 ( UFA)
7. Kostitsyn, Andrei » F 25 $3,250,000
$0 2011 ( RFA)
8. Gill, Hal » D 35 $2,250,000
$0 2011 ( UFA)
9. Laraque, Georges » NMC F 33 $1,500,000
$0 2011 ( UFA)
10. Moen, Travis » F 28 $1,500,000
$0 2012 ( UFA)
11. Gorges, Josh » D 25 $1,100,000
$0 2011 ( RFA)
12. O'Byrne, Ryan » D 25 $941,667
$0 2011 ( RFA)
13. Subban, P.K. » EL D 21 $875,000
$0 2012 ( RFA)
14. Maxwell, Ben » EL F 22 +$115,000 $850,000
+$115,000 $0 2011 ( RFA)
15. Pacioretty, Max » EL F 21 $910,000
$0 2011 ( RFA)
16. Engqvist, Andreas » EL F 22 $900,000
$0 2012 ( RFA)
17. Bishop, Hunter » EL F 22 +$310,000 $900,000
+$310,000 $0 2012 ( RFA)
18. Nash, Brendon » EL D 23 +$310,000 $900,000
+$310,000 $0 2012 ( RFA)
19. Palushaj, Aaron » EL F 20 +$137,500 $883,333
+$137,500 $0 2012 ( RFA)
20. Weber, Yannick » EL D 21 +$237,500 $875,000
+$237,500 $0 2011 ( RFA)
21. Fortier, Olivier » EL F 21 +$262,500 $875,000
+$262,500 $0 2012 ( RFA)
22. White, Ryan » EL F 22 +$215,000 $850,000
+$215,000 $0 2011 ( RFA)
23. Dumont, Gabriel » EL F 19 $571,667
$0 2013 ( RFA)
24. Conboy, Andrew » EL F 22 $550,000
$0 2012 ( RFA)
25. Klubertanz, Kyle » EL D 24 $550,000
$0 2011 ( RFA)
26. Mayer, Robert » EL G 20 $535,000
$0 2012 ( RFA)
27. Lefebvre, Philippe » EL SR F 19 $535,000
$0 2012 ( RFA)
28. Masse, Dany » EL F 22 $531,667
$0 2012 ( RFA)
29. Carey Price » G 22 RFA
30. Brock Trotter » F 22 RFA
31. Mikael Johansson » F 24 RFA
32. Mathieu Carle » D 22 RFA
33. Tom Pyatt » F 23 RFA
34. Sergei Kostitsyn » F 23 RFA
35. Benoit Pouliot » F 23 RFA
36. Jaroslav Halak » G 25 RFA
37. Maxim Lapierre » F 25 RFA
38. J.T. Wyman » F 24 RFA
39. Michael Busto » D 23 RFA
40. David Desharnais » F 23 RFA
41. Ryan Russell » F 23 RFA
42. Gregory Stewart » F 24 RFA
43. Cedric Desjardins » G 24 RFA

So basically there are 8 pro contracts that can be given out, including any given to the current UFA's like Moore, Plekanec, Mara, Metropolit, Bergeron, Sanford, Darche, Belle, Glumac, Henry and Benoit.

Because Fischer can be signed until Aug 15, and given how few spots there are available currently, the club can wait until after July 1 and see who of the UFA's are returning, or any new signees, and then sign Fischer if there is room, or even sign him to a deal with Hamilton and have him start in the ECHL and try to earn a pro contract as the year progresses if a spot in the 50 man roster opens. Barring trades, the only spots currently taken on the 50 man roster that will likely be freed are Laraque after the buyout, Johannson, and Busto.

HABitual Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
I told you all Missiaen was a terrible ****ing pick. It didn't take a genius to realize that a 6'8 goalie is a terrible choice, especially in the 4th round.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post

- K. Chipchura (Gone)
- C. Price (Maybe Gone)
- D. Fischer (Gone)
- R. McDonagh (Gone)
- D. Kristo (?)
- L. Leblanc (?)

"No thanks"...does that mean you're not a Habs fan? I mean what other choice does one have other than wait...

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote