HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do we have to give up for the second overall pick?

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2004, 03:39 PM
Poutine

vCash: 500
What do we have to give up for the second overall pick?

I think the #1 overall is too pricy for our team to afford if we wish to continue winning. From what i heard, Malkin is not that much far behind from Ovechkin in terms of talent, and he is a year younger.

The dude in the other post made a good point, Pens will do anything to be the worst team once again in 2005.

Instead for us to give up markov, zehnik and other proven nhl talents for Ovechkin, why don't we try to get the second overall pick, and wish Washington don't draft him first haha

in order to get the second overall pick we would have to give up hmm

Mike Ribeiro (Although he didnot do anything particulaly in the playoff, but I still think given his age and his performance during the regular season, he is worth something to the pens)

Jan Bulis (I think the talent is there, all he needs is more ice time. By playing for the pens, he will get all the ice time he needs to get 20+ goals a year)

Craig Rivet or Ron Hainsey (Pens can choose if they want a proven nhl D now [too pricy for us] or a potentially talented Hainsey)

Marcel Hossa (The talent is there)

and our first round #18 overall

for the second overall pick

Is this a realistic offer, or still not enough?

Hopefully the capitals draft Malkin instead

Old
05-15-2004, 03:45 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

I don't care.... I'm tired of those ****ing proposal. I want to keep Bulis, Markov, Rivet, Ribeiro, etc.... Damn, I want to have a winning team NOW. Do you know how many years it will take to fill 4 NHL spots??? Calisse, foutez-nous la paix!

Old
05-15-2004, 04:14 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poutine
Is this a realistic offer, or still not enough?
It's not nearly enough. In this draft there's:

Ovechkin
Malkin
The rest

Ovechkin is a sure fire #1, but Malkin would likely have been the #1 pick last year ahead of Fleury, Staal and Horton. He's that good. You won't get him for spare parts.

Prepare to part with at least one of Perezhogin/Kastsitsyn, Markov and our 1st pick. This is a bare minimum. I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't enough for Pittsburgh to do it, although we could take advantage of their misery as there's talks the Pens wouldn't even be able to pay what Malkin will likely ask for his 1st pro contract + the Russian transfer fees, on top of Fleury's contract with bonuses.

Old
05-15-2004, 05:59 PM
Poutine

[QUOTE=Munchausen]It's not nearly enough. In this draft there's:

Ovechkin
Malkin
The rest

Ovechkin is a sure fire #1, but Malkin would likely have been the #1 pick last year ahead of Fleury, Staal and Horton. He's that good. You won't get him for spare parts.

Prepare to part with at least one of Perezhogin/Kastsitsyn, Markov and our 1st pick. This is a bare minimum. I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't enough for Pittsburgh to do it, although we could take advantage of their misery as there's talks the Pens wouldn't even be able to pay what Malkin will likely ask for his 1st pro contract + the Russian transfer fees, on top of Fleury's contract with bonuses.[/QUOTE]

That's a good point!

and hell no, i am not giving you any rest;x

Old
05-15-2004, 06:01 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
It's not nearly enough. In this draft there's:

Ovechkin
Malkin
The rest

Prepare to part with at least one of Perezhogin/Kastsitsyn, Markov and our 1st pick. This is a bare minimum. I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't enough for Pittsburgh to do it, although we could take advantage of their misery as there's talks the Pens wouldn't even be able to pay what Malkin will likely ask for his 1st pro contract + the Russian transfer fees, on top of Fleury's contract with bonuses.
If the package is reasonable and we don't give up up too many important roster players, I'd be all over it. However, no selling the farm and no giving up the whole team for a pick, plz, we want to have a playoff team next year. But I guess it's the same basic rule that apply in this case or in any other trade: does that make our team better? If BG thinks it does, he'll pull the trigger, if not, well screw that. As simple as that.

Old
05-15-2004, 07:49 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars
If the package is reasonable and we don't give up up too many important roster players, I'd be all over it. However, no selling the farm and no giving up the whole team for a pick, plz, we want to have a playoff team next year. But I guess it's the same basic rule that apply in this case or in any other trade: does that make our team better? If BG thinks it does, he'll pull the trigger, if not, well screw that. As simple as that.
I agree. Also I think it'd be wiser to go after Malkin than Ovechkin. As I've said above the economics might play in our favor here, and Malkin's also not surrounded with the same kind of insane hype Ovechkin's getting that have everybody salivating. He's also closer to what we truly need, a big and skilled center. Ovechkin is so hyped-up that it will take an indecent offer to land him. And I don't even want to think about what it would take to get Crosby. Scary. Of course in Malkin's case, just like the others semi-gods named here, if the other GM feels we need to give half our roster or farm for them, then screw it.

Old
05-15-2004, 08:46 PM
tiredman

My offer would be:

Habs 1st Rounder '04, Andrei Markov, Tomas Plekanec for Malkin

Old
05-15-2004, 10:20 PM
not quite yoda

And you're offer would not be accepted. Sorry but it unfortunately wouldn't be close to cutting it.

Old
05-15-2004, 10:34 PM
Habs4ever

Why are you guys acting so desperate let the penguine have their star player

we already have winning team in hand unlike teams like pens, capitals that have to build from start up, we have very little incentive to make major changes, our young players are developing very well so I don't see why Montreal becomes desperate all of a sudden.
if anything we'll get very good prospect at 18th pick anyways, our scouting staff is the best in the league, its not fun speculating when you're picking second as its already been decided for them but its damn interesting guseeing game speculating who the habs will pick at 18th pick.!!

Old
05-16-2004, 10:45 AM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
And you're offer would not be accepted. Sorry but it unfortunately wouldn't be close to cutting it.
I know

Old
05-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Catala

Send a message via MSN to Catala
Quote:
Originally Posted by ax²+bx+c
I don't care.... I'm tired of those ****ing proposal. I want to keep Bulis, Markov, Rivet, Ribeiro, etc.... Damn, I want to have a winning team NOW. Do you know how many years it will take to fill 4 NHL spots??? Calisse, foutez-nous la paix!
hehe, well said.

Old
05-16-2004, 02:44 PM
tritone

I want to trade Bulis, Markov, Rivet, Ribeiro
just to tick off ax²+bx+c and Catala just kidding guys

Closed Thread