HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Stays-Marleau or Nabokov?

Old
06-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Doubt it. Nabby's even worse when he get less action.
Upgrades on D do not necessarily equate to a reduced workload for Nabokov. It can equate to better shot selection/looks for Nabokov, a better selection of shots from the point offensively and more mobility.

Esoteric Ubiquity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Say that to Dany Heatley's face!
Pffft... he's got a bum knee and a torn groin. I assume Pinkfloyd can outrun him.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Say that to Dany Heatley's face!
I would but you can't see him when he doesn't have the puck. He disappears.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 12:13 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I would but you can't see him when he doesn't have the puck. He disappears.
Ya exactly, we don't need two (or three...) of them on one line...

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 12:36 AM
baydrake
gutless performance

i don't know if pollak actually reads the boards, but i'm convinced now that he and i have the same source(s) re: the marleau house rumors. the deal around february with the ~8M house seems to have fallen through and they went with another place several million less in may.

the huge property i was tracking was in fact the wrong house. however, it was on the right street, as confirmed by some publicly available records regarding the previous owners. the less extravagantly priced house that patty apparently did end up buying is not currently for sale. it is, however, pretty close to an ex-girlfriend of mine. but i digress...

it could theoretically be that the previous owners had several houses, but IMO the more likely guess is that the marleaus liked the location of the house they almost bought and just got something a little ways down the road instead. so we are officially back to square one unless something surfaces re: LA. for what it's worth, i am in LA on business right now and have not yet seen patty

also, nolan is building a new house here you say? hmmmmm...
/wishful thinking

Last edited by baydrake: 06-09-2010 at 12:51 AM.
baydrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 12:44 AM
sjsharklover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
I went onto Trulia and looked up Marleau's house, and it says the house is not on the Market.
not sure if this was posted before I apologize if it was

Unit: 1 $1,520,000 Christina Marleau (Trustee), Patrick and Christina Marleau (Trustee) (Revocable Trust) and Patrick Marleau

This was In Los Angeles (brentwood) but 2 years ago

sjsharklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 12:48 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by baydrake View Post
for what it's worth, i am in LA on business right now and have not yet seen patty
You know what to do when you see him!

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Minicoop831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
You know what to do when you see him!
Your gonna need to knock him out with some meds, then lock him in your house this way you can do all the contract negociation, make sure the cap hit is under 5 million, even better .5 million, this way we got plenty of money to sign some good D lol

Minicoop831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:09 AM
D Huang

Send a message via AIM to D Huang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bridge View Post
It's understood, you want Kovy, you don't want Marleau. Your debating points are marginal at best. Kovy is the more potent scorer. Marleau is the more rounded, responsible player. Kovy will require up to a 2m/yr premium over what it could take to resign Marleau. Adding Kovy would make it more difficult to maintain defensive responsibility throughout the lines.
Actually, I would rather have Marleau rather than Kovalchuk on this team, I think he's a better fit all things considered. But I think its absolutely ludicrous to believe that Marleau is a better player than Kovalchuk.

Last edited by SpinTheBlackCircle: 06-09-2010 at 01:10 PM.
D Huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:54 AM
Lebanezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsharklover View Post
not sure if this was posted before I apologize if it was

Unit: 1 $1,520,000 Christina Marleau (Trustee), Patrick and Christina Marleau (Trustee) (Revocable Trust) and Patrick Marleau

This was In Los Angeles (brentwood) but 2 years ago
So before his last extension? Does he own that property now?

Lebanezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:36 AM
Tealblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by baydrake View Post
i don't know if pollak actually reads the boards, but i'm convinced now that he and i have the same source(s) re: the marleau house rumors. the deal around february with the ~8M house seems to have fallen through and they went with another place several million less in may.

the huge property i was tracking was in fact the wrong house. however, it was on the right street, as confirmed by some publicly available records regarding the previous owners. the less extravagantly priced house that patty apparently did end up buying is not currently for sale. it is, however, pretty close to an ex-girlfriend of mine. but i digress...

it could theoretically be that the previous owners had several houses, but IMO the more likely guess is that the marleaus liked the location of the house they almost bought and just got something a little ways down the road instead. so we are officially back to square one unless something surfaces re: LA. for what it's worth, i am in LA on business right now and have not yet seen patty

also, nolan is building a new house here you say? hmmmmm...
/wishful thinking
He doesn't necessarily have to read these boards, more than half of the people who read these boards read HIS blog and comment, when you get tons of comments asking if the rumors are true then suddenly we've got a rumor

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Uncle Sam

Keep Nabby

Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Rickety Cricket

If I was Marleau, all this real estate snooping would creep me out.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:15 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
If I was Marleau, all this real estate snooping would creep me out.
Someone should send Pierre McGuire about this story so he can investigate it. He'd go peering through Marleau's windows and s***

Old
06-09-2010, 10:16 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
2 or more upgrades on D and that tune changes.
no it will just make him even a worse decision. The games changed.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
no it will just make him even a worse decision. The games changed.
Well you're entitled to your opinion however malformed and incomplete I find it, it is yours. I think we will just disagree to disagree here. Rarely do I see an argument that suggests the goalie that has anchored the team for the last four years actually gets worse with the addition of D. You must really dislike him to put forth such a backward argument.

Old
06-09-2010, 12:02 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Well you're entitled to your opinion however malformed and incomplete I find it, it is yours. I think we will just disagree to disagree here. Rarely do I see an argument that suggests the goalie that has anchored the team for the last four years actually gets worse with the addition of D. You must really dislike him to put forth such a backward argument.
I should have clarified better. I dont mean to say that Nabby would get worse. I would state that the money that would be spent on nabby would be better allocated if spent on forwards (after you upgrade the D) than on nabby. Nabs will be looking for a multi year deal at a pretty premium price and hes not worth it at the expense of other areas of the team. He is relatively poor when it comes to seeing around screens/reading the play through screens. Since the goalie will be constantly screened due to the way the game is called, hes a pointless expense.

Old
06-09-2010, 12:14 PM
hockeyball

If Nabby is willing to take 3m a year or less, I'd keep him. Beyond that you are going to see diminishing returns from every dollar spent imo.

There's only a few goalies in the league I would at this point (the nature of the game and salary cap) I would pay premium dollars.

Old
06-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
I should have clarified better. I dont mean to say that Nabby would get worse. I would state that the money that would be spent on nabby would be better allocated if spent on forwards (after you upgrade the D) than on nabby. Nabs will be looking for a multi year deal at a pretty premium price and hes not worth it at the expense of other areas of the team. He is relatively poor when it comes to seeing around screens/reading the play through screens. Since the goalie will be constantly screened due to the way the game is called, hes a pointless expense.
So, suppose Murray, Blake and Smushkins are moved leaving Boyle, Vlasic, Demers. Hamhuis in at 4, Leopold at 2, and Lydman at 3. Without being exact in salary numbers the trio brought in make under 1m more than the trio sent out. Move Torrey Mitchell and that's another ~1.5m in cap space. I don't think DW will make the moves necessary to revamp the D, but that is an example how things could work without too many changes to the forwards.

Now, you suggest that the forwards require upgrades (I think you meant raises, hence the discussion of Nabby's salary), which is well and good. I think Pavelski gets the bigger bump of the two and will eat up most of the space. The Sharks could look to move Ryane Clowe for relief.

Your statement of 'relatively poor when it comes to seeing around screens/reading the play through screens.' smacks of short-term memory. I honestly believe if Nabokov had played 10 less games during the season, he would have been sharper during the post season. I also believe that if the D had played with a greater sense of urgency and attack, several of those goals would not have gone in. I am not making excuses for him either. There are goals he should have made saves on. I'm merely expressing further disappointment with the other elements/attitude of the team in addition to Nabokov's apparent inability to 'raise his game.'

So, the dollars are there if DW wants to make the moves. I'm a proponent of staying the course, but I see some glaring issues on D, regardless of who is in net.

Old
06-09-2010, 07:59 PM
one2gamble

Quote:

Your statement of 'relatively poor when it comes to seeing around screens/reading the play through screens.' smacks of short-term memory.
hes never been very good at it, that and closing his five hole

Old
06-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
So, suppose Murray, Blake and Smushkins are moved leaving Boyle, Vlasic, Demers. Hamhuis in at 4, Leopold at 2, and Lydman at 3. Without being exact in salary numbers the trio brought in make under 1m more than the trio sent out. Move Torrey Mitchell and that's another ~1.5m in cap space. I don't think DW will make the moves necessary to revamp the D, but that is an example how things could work without too many changes to the forwards.

Now, you suggest that the forwards require upgrades (I think you meant raises, hence the discussion of Nabby's salary), which is well and good. I think Pavelski gets the bigger bump of the two and will eat up most of the space. The Sharks could look to move Ryane Clowe for relief.

Your statement of 'relatively poor when it comes to seeing around screens/reading the play through screens.' smacks of short-term memory. I honestly believe if Nabokov had played 10 less games during the season, he would have been sharper during the post season. I also believe that if the D had played with a greater sense of urgency and attack, several of those goals would not have gone in. I am not making excuses for him either. There are goals he should have made saves on. I'm merely expressing further disappointment with the other elements/attitude of the team in addition to Nabokov's apparent inability to 'raise his game.'

So, the dollars are there if DW wants to make the moves. I'm a proponent of staying the course, but I see some glaring issues on D, regardless of who is in net.
number 1 issue: nabby basically sets how many and when he gets to play during the regular season (not smart on the coach, but its another advantage of being a top 5-10 goalie with experience in the nhl, brodeur does the same thing).

number 2: after the series i went back and looked at the goals scored during the hawks series alone and i counted 5 goals nabby allowed from not being ready for a shot, not being squared to the shooter, and just not looking around screens (something that he needs to do, when he's standing he needs to be aware of shots coming in and deflections).

i don't understand how any one can say the money is there if the sharks want to stay the course and keep basically the same team, minus a few moves.

lets say we keep the same team, minus blake of course, the sharks will have about 58.165 million of a 58.800 million cap used up (18 players), so 1.350 million to sign about 4 or 5 players. (this is based on marleau and nabby taking the same amount as there old contracts, and pavs making 4.00 million, and seto making 3 million, and nichol making 1 million, malhotra making 1.5 million)

so under that scenario, the sharks will need to sign 1 forward, 1 defensemen ( just to carry a 12 and 6 and 2 roster.) which is due able but just hope nobody gets injured all season long, because after this the sharks will have about 300 K of cap space left.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
number 1 issue: nabby basically sets how many and when he gets to play during the regular season (not smart on the coach, but its another advantage of being a top 5-10 goalie with experience in the nhl, brodeur does the same thing).

number 2: after the series i went back and looked at the goals scored during the hawks series alone and i counted 5 goals nabby allowed from not being ready for a shot, not being squared to the shooter, and just not looking around screens (something that he needs to do, when he's standing he needs to be aware of shots coming in and deflections).

i don't understand how any one can say the money is there if the sharks want to stay the course and keep basically the same team, minus a few moves.

lets say we keep the same team, minus blake of course, the sharks will have about 58.165 million of a 58.800 million cap used up (18 players), so 1.350 million to sign about 4 or 5 players. (this is based on marleau and nabby taking the same amount as there old contracts, and pavs making 4.00 million, and seto making 3 million, and nichol making 1 million, malhotra making 1.5 million)

so under that scenario, the sharks will need to sign 1 forward, 1 defensemen ( just to carry a 12 and 6 and 2 roster.) which is due able but just hope nobody gets injured all season long, because after this the sharks will have about 300 K of cap space left.
I guess when forming #2 you neglected to look at the failures at defense. If the issues of fiscal sense are aimed at my post about the D, please note the number of moves I speculated on to be made.

Old
06-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
I guess when forming #2 you neglected to look at the failures at defense. If the issues of fiscal sense are aimed at my post about the D, please note the number of moves I speculated on to be made.
We spent to the CAP. We have a great team. If Nabby or another goalie was making 2 mil this year and we had that extra 3,375,000 to spend on D we'd of had a better shot to beat the Hawks IMO period.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
We spent to the CAP. We have a great team. If Nabby or another goalie was making 2 mil this year and we had that extra 3,375,000 to spend on D we'd of had a better shot to beat the Hawks IMO period.
Quote:
“If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we’d all have a merry Christmas”
How does that address anything I wrote? My original post depicted how the Sharks could alter the roster to include three new D while moving 3 out and possibly Ryane Clowe. It doesn't address Nabokov's potential salary. It shows how the D could improve with 'fairly' realistic cap numbers and still allow for the debate to continue. It may lend to the retention of Marleau more easily since people seem to think the way to go is to sign an inexpensive goalie and let one of the pipeliners mature.

Quote:
hes never been very good at it, that and closing his five hole
A blanket statement with no support coupled with a tangential argument. Awesome.

Old
06-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
when a goalie is letting only shots from the point, with 1 guy in front of the net (no deflections, just a screen) it is bad bad goaltending. especially when said goalie doesn't even make a move for the puck until the puck is in the back of the net (all of nabby's goals it seems). and when professional goalies are saying nabby needs to fight through screens, its not the defense, its the goaltending not doing a good enough of a job.

if nabby comes back, i won't expect anything from the sharks next season, they just won't have the cap room to upgrade anything. even with your upgrades.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote