HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Who Stays-Marleau or Nabokov?

Old
06-19-2010, 07:37 PM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
http://www.behindthenet.ca/2009/5_on...&team=S.J&pos=

Just a small eval of 5on5 shooting percentage for regular season. Definitely an eyeopener.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post

Just a small eval of 5on5 shooting percentage for regular season. Definitely an eyeopener.
What? That JT has a higher percentage in the shots per goal ratio than Marleau?

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:

Joe Thornton FTW?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 07:47 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
What? That JT has a higher percentage in the shots per goal ratio than Marleau?
Seriously, it wasn't so much Marleau. It was more that the designated shooters, Heatley and Seto, were that low. Pavs, Marleau, JT and Clowe all showed up better.

Old
06-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Seriously, it wasn't so much Marleau. It was more that the designated shooters, Heatley and Seto, were that low. Pavs, Marleau, JT and Clowe all showed up better.
Yeah, that was a little surprising. But especially with Heatley, if more of his goals come on the PP that's alright with me. His five on five was not chopped liver and his assist ability was a nice surprise. I don't think Seto had the year we hoped he would, but I still believe he can get there and I really like the way he used his body this year.

Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 01:53 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
The numbers (done by eyeball) support your assertion. The high profile guys tend to produce the year after if re-signed. I also went back through trades by cup winners and compared them to other trades in the league. The highest profile deadline trades, which Kovalchuk was, tend to lose (not always). Hossa lost in his year. Although the Canes did quantity, they didn't go for highest profile. The assertion regarding teams taking time to adapt to superstars should be well taken. If I were a GM, I wouldn't go high profile unless I was certain of retaining that player's services for the subsequent season.
When GM's acquire players at the deadline, they are almost always thinking solely about that player's contribution during May-June. That is their primary goal; retaining the player is an afterthought.

In New Jersey's case, this idea is doubly true. With many of their forwards in their prime, with their superstar goaltender nearing the end of his career, how valuable was Bergfors to New Jersey? A third-line player, defensively deficient; was there space for him on the roster? By the time he becomes a significant contributor the team's window will likely have closed. The same goes for the late first-round pick, and Cormier, a guy who would have struggled to find a spot on NJ's deep roster.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 02:08 AM
sjsharklover

I am wondering, the longer it takes to sign one or both of these guys ...does that hurt our chances or help are chances to retain them?
Or do you guys think from a players perspective they will wait til after the 1st just so they can see what is out there?

sjsharklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
When GM's acquire players at the deadline, they are almost always thinking solely about that player's contribution during May-June. That is their primary goal; retaining the player is an afterthought.

In New Jersey's case, this idea is doubly true. With many of their forwards in their prime, with their superstar goaltender nearing the end of his career, how valuable was Bergfors to New Jersey? A third-line player, defensively deficient; was there space for him on the roster? By the time he becomes a significant contributor the team's window will likely have closed. The same goes for the late first-round pick, and Cormier, a guy who would have struggled to find a spot on NJ's deep roster.
Saying Bergfors isn't valuable to New Jersey when he was the center piece to the deal is inaccurate. He's a rookie that finished the year with 21 goals. In the short term, he was going to be a 2nd line player next year no matter the team he was on. He was already a significant contributor to the team. And he's only going to get better.

The problem here is that even Lou knows that making a significant impact on the team that late in the year is a boom or bust prospect and it busted. The team dynamic changed and it was too little of time to figure out how Kovalchuk was supposed to play and how they were supposed to play with Kovalchuk. There wasn't enough time for other players to adjust to new roles especially on D.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
those numbers just tell me thornton is patient with the puck (some times good, some times bad), but when he does shoot he's making sure its a quality scoring chance. his average distance for a shot is a telling point to, he just doesn't walk over the blue line and fires nilly dilly for the sake of shooting.

the funny stat on that page is the slap shots. thornton had 4 slap shots hit the net, and 4 goals.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 11:48 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post

I am well aware of the thinking. I made the point because it is an assumption where the results belie the reasoning. Either that or the GM is vastly overrating the positive impact of the player's skills on team results in the near term.

There is a lot of common wisdom passed around that really isn't wisdom, just foolishness because everyone believes it. It isn't just hockey.

Old
06-20-2010, 03:00 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

well, 10 days before they become UFA and counting for any anouncement of re-signing Nabber and or Patty.

I'll be interested to see if the sharks PR machine keeps any signings like this quiet until they have 2 or 3 to anounce together, or perhaps wait for the draft or other media venue to update on status...

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Chaotic8
Boarding Major

vCash: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
well, 10 days before they become UFA and counting for any anouncement of re-signing Nabber and or Patty.

I'll be interested to see if the sharks PR machine keeps any signings like this quiet until they have 2 or 3 to anounce together, or perhaps wait for the draft or other media venue to update on status...
I'm expecting June 29 though July 2nd to be a freakin fiasco of last minute signings throughout the league. I'm actually excited to see how things playout.

Chaotic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 05:36 AM
DutchSharksfan11

me to cause im not happy with the rumor of more nabakov in san jose....

DutchSharksfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2010, 01:41 PM
forsbergfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhoogasian94123 View Post
I agree with you. I want Patty to stay as long as he doesn't require us to pay toooooo much. I wonder if he'd take a slightly large HTD. If he doesn't I think we should trade his rights to get some picks. If we don't resign we should trade Nabby for picks. It's what would be best for us. I was hoping the Sharks could get both to take super HTD's but that's what will probably not happen. I just want the Sharks to get something out of whoever they might lose.
I would think that Patty would be the favorite to stay and they work on getting a younger, long term net minder in there. But, Marleau will probably be up at 6million or over for his paycheck.

forsbergfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote