HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Stays-Marleau or Nabokov?

Old
06-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Rickety Cricket

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalsversusthreshold View Post
I wish I were Marleau's agent so when I got an offer from a team I could say "My client and I consider that a little Marleau if you get my drift"

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 10:55 PM
sjshrky27

keep patty, dump nabby.

Its quite simple really...

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:59 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Let 'em both walk.

Patty is a terrible goaltender and Nabby has like 1 goal in his career? And it was an empty netter!

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post
Let 'em both walk.

Patty is a terrible goaltender and Nabby has like 1 goal in his career? And it was an empty netter!

Old
06-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post
Let 'em both walk.

It was on the powerplay though, that should up his stock some. TBF Patty has made a few saves in his day also!

Esoteric Ubiquity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 01:17 AM
Lebanezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baydrake View Post
if DW is unwilling or unable to retain marleau for money reasons, st. louis is in fact one guy whose actual salary is less than his cap hit ($4m cash, 5.25 cap)

hm... who else? just throwing these out there, dunno if they're available or good picks:

vanek ($6.4m cash, 7.14 cap)
gomez ($6.375m cash, 7.36 cap) - doubtful
drury ($6.5m cash, 7.05 cap) - lol
elias ($5m cash, 6 cap) - over the hill
rozsival ($3.5m cash, 5 cap)
spezza ($6.6m cash, 7 cap) - fat chance
fisher ($3.67m cash, 4.2 cap)
briere ($5.2m cash, 6.5 cap)
hartnell ($3.7m cash, 4.2 cap)
timonen ($5m cash, 6.33 cap)
malone ($3.9m cash, 4.5 cap)
smyth ($5m cash, 6.25 cap) - he got that much?

might take a flyer on st louis, vanek, fisher (doubtful, ottawa loves him from what i've seen on the boards), or the philly guys but obviously would prefer just to re-sign patty

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 01:55 AM
baydrake
gutless performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
okay, i will admit that part of that is me misreading his statline (missed games this year, though his production has been rollercoaster-like since the hepatitis thing) since i was going through everyone's contracts and stats so quickly.

while elias may be more productive if allowed to return to wing, i don't expect him to be quite the player he was and he's got 3 years of contract left taking him to age 37. he was close to PPG pace but so was brind'amour in an injury-shortened season and he fell off a cliff afterward. so i will qualify but not retract the at-first-glance assessment. he's probably good for 60-65 pts next year but who knows after that?

st louis (yes, older than elias but more productive, cheaper, and only signed for 1 more year) and vanek are still the only options better than the free agency pool IMO, and both are thought of as theoretically available by their fanbases.

Last edited by baydrake: 06-02-2010 at 02:00 AM.
baydrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:11 AM
sjshark91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post

Psh, they didn't even include his GWG in the SO.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:11 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by baydrake View Post
okay, i will admit that part of that is me misreading his statline (missed games this year, though his production has been rollercoaster-like since the hepatitis thing) since i was going through everyone's contracts and stats so quickly.

while elias may be more productive if allowed to return to wing, i don't expect him to be quite the player he was and he's got 3 years of contract left taking him to age 37. he was close to PPG pace but so was brind'amour in an injury-shortened season and he fell off a cliff afterward. so i will qualify but not retract the at-first-glance assessment. he's probably good for 60-65 pts next year but who knows after that?

st louis (yes, older than elias but more productive, cheaper, and only signed for 1 more year) and vanek are still the only options better than the free agency pool IMO, and both are thought of as theoretically available by their fanbases.
Elias is fine. The center/wing thing has been an issue for NJ since Gomez left. He has been tailing off slowly when healthy and no reason to expect otherwise. Keep in mind that they dropped Bergfors in the Kovalchuk trade which exacerbated the issue. Lost Madden too. Brind'Amour is an entirely separate issue. He was tailing off slowly until the knee injury. He has never recovered.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:15 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

My heart says Nabby, my head says Patty ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:17 AM
D Huang

Send a message via AIM to D Huang
If Marleau wants more money I'm fine with letting him go. That frees up a lot of room (assuming Nabby and Blake are gone too) to go after some defense. We can make serious runs for Volchenkov, Hamhuis, Michalek, Wisniewski, Kubina, Martin, Gonchar, Leopold, Mitchell or Corvo

D Huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:19 AM
goalsversusthreshold*

If Marleau goes the team will officially not have a single player since I started following them

*tear*

goalsversusthreshold* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:39 AM
SharkMight

If Marleau goes, we should just rebuild. Can we really reasonably think SCF if marleau leaves?

SharkMight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:39 AM
Ukapitalo

Seems pretty straight forward to me..

Do we let our 40 goal scorer franchise forward walk or our elite goaltender who goes soft in the playoffs? hmm... i think ill keep marleau

We've got too much depth in goalie prospects, nabby's getting old, and the extra cap space would be helpful

I hate hearing all this bull about how we need to shake up the chemistry of the team. Why do we need to do this? We need to shake up the chemistry of the #1 seed in the playoffs... last years president trophy winners? We got bounced in the conference finals from the only team who could even be considered better than us and whose playing style is geared against teams like ours. Every game was close and most really could have gone either way. This is a team that very well could have won the cup this year and the team really showed it. It just wasn't our time.

Ukapitalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:58 AM
Hertl Power

I would go with marleau. I am used to seeing him have one playoff series each year where he is the only player that shows up. But either way we will be losing one of the two players that have been with the organization the longest. Only two sharks were with the team both times they made it to the scf.

Hertl Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Tealblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddenpsyche View Post
I would go with marleau. I am used to seeing him have one playoff series each year where he is the only player that shows up. But either way we will be losing one of the two players that have been with the organization the longest. Only two sharks were with the team both times they made it to the scf.
conference finals, not scf. Never been to the cup finals.

I still think prospect depth is only as deep as paper/scouting reports/numbers make it out to be. In reality we DON'T KNOW if our goalies are ready to be full time starters or even 50/50 starters. Get a cheaper vet and we'll talk but I have very low expectations if nabby leaves.

Back on the prospect thing:
How many people here loaded up petrecki on their "fix the sharks" rosters last season? I mean he was geared toward the calder based on paper/statistics, a sure shot to make the team in training camp.

The amount of heavy lifting nabby did this regular season is going to show.

I'm conflicted on this because like someone said in another thread apparently I "love marleau". The ideal situation is DW talks them into deep deep cuts. But the chances are slim that both of them agree to like 3.5m contracts each haha. They both have SJ born/raised wives, but how many of you would pick up and move if it means ending your career with millions more? Exactly. Hockey players aren't paid much for their stardom compared to some other sports and it makes them seem greedier at times when they do splurge for the extra money.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 08:53 AM
BillR10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Huang View Post
If Marleau wants more money I'm fine with letting him go. That frees up a lot of room (assuming Nabby and Blake are gone too) to go after some defense. We can make serious runs for Volchenkov, Hamhuis, Michalek, Wisniewski, Kubina, Martin, Gonchar, Leopold, Mitchell or Corvo
This ^. Unless marleau is willing to accept a hossa like contract, front loaded with a lower cap hit. I think we would contend better with our top 4 d being Boyle-hamuis michalek-vlassic than our 1 big line. We gotta face the facts defence wins championships and our d is suspect at best right now.

BillR10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 08:53 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarByte View Post

GB I think Hidden is referring to Blake and Heatley meaning two Sharks on the current roster now who have been to the SCF. (yes it still makes no sense the way it was written) but I'd do go with that theory of what he meant.

Buh-Bye Nabakov and Hello Marleau.

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 08:58 AM
nickschultzfan

The choice is very easy: Marleau. He's much harder to replace.

Nabokov is not an elite goalie. I'm sorry. He's just a good goalie, with a great team in front of him. He's not going to win playoff games on his own. He's had three seasons and an Olympics to prove that he can't do that.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 09:41 AM
TheNextOneX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post

Nabokov is not an elite goalie. I'm sorry. He's just a good goalie, with a great team in front of him. He's not going to win playoff games on his own. He's had three seasons and an Olympics to prove that he can't do that.
Yeah, and if you want an elite goalie to replace Nabokov, look no further than Martin Gerber. He could turn out to be as good as Hiller and you will finally win a Stanley Cup.

TheNextOneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:07 AM
AstroDan
Stars, cars, guitars

vCash: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post

This.
Just about any $1-2mil goalie can hold on with this offense to the play-offs.
Once there... Leighton, Nemmi
I'd rather have Booch back.

Nabby's not elite, Patty is.

By ridding the team of Nabby, Heatly and Blake, plenty of cap space to get grit on D and another scorer...

AstroDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:22 AM
MrEJH
Thanks Markus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarByte View Post

I still think prospect depth is only as deep as paper/scouting reports/numbers make it out to be. In reality we DON'T KNOW if our goalies are ready to be full time starters or even 50/50 starters. Get a cheaper vet and we'll talk but I have very low expectations if nabby leaves.

Back on the prospect thing:
How many people here loaded up petrecki on their "fix the sharks" rosters last season? I mean he was geared toward the calder based on paper/statistics, a sure shot to make the team in training camp.

The amount of heavy lifting nabby did this regular season is going to show.

I'm conflicted on this because like someone said in another thread apparently I "love marleau". The ideal situation is DW talks them into deep deep cuts. But the chances are slim that both of them agree to like 3.5m contracts each haha. They both have SJ born/raised wives, but how many of you would pick up and move if it means ending your career with millions more? Exactly. Hockey players aren't paid much for their stardom compared to some other sports and it makes them seem greedier at times when they do splurge for the extra money.
Nabby's wife is NOT Sj born/raised. I believe he met her while in the minors. Pretty sure he met her in Kentucky when he came over from Russia

MrEJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroDan View Post
This.
Just about any $1-2mil goalie can hold on with this offense to the play-offs.
Once there... Leighton, Nemmi
I'd rather have Booch back.

Nabby's not elite, Patty is.

By ridding the team of Nabby, Heatly and Blake, plenty of cap space to get grit on D and another scorer...

I like Boosh as much as the next person, but the guy is not as skillfully sound as he once was. Too many goals given up this post season from lateral movements where he leans down with his glove instead of pushing off and making the save with his pad (See: Boston series, SCF Game 1 Kopecky goal).

No no no.

Esoteric Ubiquity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Sleepy

From a system view:
  • San Jose has guys who could step in and potentially play up to or near Nabby's level.
  • San Jose has no one who is even remotely close to playing up to Marleau's level.
  • If there is no goalie position open for the prospects, SJ's wasted a lot of time and money on kids that will never see NHL ice for the Sharks. Goalie Prospects who haven't seen NHL ice don't command much value. Even for the almighty Kipper SJ only got a 2nd since he stunk in a few NHL games.

From a salary cap view:
  • On the FA market, when you have a chance to sign a 40+ goal scorer at a $1M+ discount on market price, you do so.

If Marleau doesn't stay, it's a colossal failure on DW's part.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
From a system view:
  • San Jose has guys who could step in and potentially play up to or near Nabby's level.
  • San Jose has no one who is even remotely close to playing up to Marleau's level.
  • If there is no goalie position open for the prospects, SJ's wasted a lot of time and money on kids that will never see NHL ice for the Sharks. Goalie Prospects who haven't seen NHL ice don't command much value. Even for the almighty Kipper SJ only got a 2nd since he stunk in a few NHL games.

From a salary cap view:
  • On the FA market, when you have a chance to sign a 40+ goal scorer at a $1M+ discount on market price, you do so.

If Marleau doesn't stay, it's a colossal failure on DW's part.
This is assuming Marleau wants to stay. There is a chance he might just wanna move on.