HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Stays-Marleau or Nabokov?

Old
06-06-2010, 03:45 PM
sjsharklover

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolalas View Post
Just talked to my friend who's aunt is apparently Patty's realtor. Anyway, supposedly Patty just bought a house down in LA.

I know its hear say, but if by chance this is correct, does that mean Patty's gone?
If he does leave really sad...most importantly because it would be in our division...but I think I remember hearing all sorts of claims last year around the draft and free agent signing period that people were moving or people spotted in certain cities....got all worked up for nothin.....if we do lose Marleau and or Nabby dont worry DW will have a plan in place to keep this team strong and competitive or it will be his job

sjsharklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 03:56 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsharklover View Post
If he does leave really sad...most importantly because it would be in our division...but I think I remember hearing all sorts of claims last year around the draft and free agent signing period that people were moving or people spotted in certain cities....got all worked up for nothin.....if we do lose Marleau and or Nabby dont worry DW will have a plan in place to keep this team strong and competitive or it will be his job
DW always has plans in place with multiple options. His job should hinge on execution not whether he has plans because he does have plans.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Rickety Cricket

Aren't house sales on public record? If Marleau sold his house we should be able to find it out online.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 04:11 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
It is hearsay. It has been done before with confirmation on other players and was indicative of final destination.

Technically without DW's permission, Patty is not supposed to talk to anyone else before July 1. That means he should have received no commitment from Lombardi or the Ducks and that it is premature if the rumor is true. It can mean that those are the only two teams with which he will negotiate and that he won't be crossing any lines if no communication has taken place up to this point in time.

Realistically, DW likely knows right now whether or not Patty will be returning. It is for us to hear the explanations from both.
Interest from L.A. in Patty and/or Kovi (speculation of course);
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...-debates_N.htm

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 04:17 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sharks19 View Post
Interest from L.A. in Patty and/or Kovi (speculation of course);
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...-debates_N.htm
Thank you. I saw it previously and the author is guessing. My guess before this past season was Van, LA, Ana, or Phx. The words of last off-season were not reassuring despite the face that they tried to put on it. There was not way that DW would initiate broaching an NTC, it has to come from the player.

Old
06-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Minicoop831

The problem is that if patty leaves, is that kovi would be first on doug's list which the next thing we need is another overpaid forward that disappears when he is needed. Patty is way more versatile than kovi

Minicoop831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 05:31 PM
D Huang

Send a message via AIM to D Huang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicoop831 View Post
The problem is that if patty leaves, is that kovi would be first on doug's list which the next thing we need is another overpaid forward that disappears when he is needed. Patty is way more versatile than kovi
This is incorrect, Kovalchuk has as much desire to win as any player in this league. Watch the Devils first round series this year. Also, Marleau may be more versatile, but Kovalchuk is easily the better forward.

D Huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 05:46 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Huang View Post
This is incorrect, Kovalchuk has as much desire to win as any player in this league. Watch the Devils first round series this year. Also, Marleau may be more versatile, but Kovalchuk is easily the better forward.
I really question that. He can be highlight reel as can Patty, but Patty's versatility should be given a lot more weight than you are giving it relative to Kovy's deadly shot. Kovy has played for two teams where they catered to his shot. If acquired, JT's passing game becomes a little moot. Heatley is complementary as he is good at garbage collection on rebounds. Kovy makes his own space. I don't question Kovy's desire to win, but I do think he will want a lot more than what Patty will get where the difference in total skill is not that great. Kovy is NOT a defensive player. Kovy already turned down $10mil/year from Atlanta. He may take less, but not a lot less. Rumors have $10mil/year on table from the KHL where the tax/escrow bite is a LOT less.

My take is that DW will not even be in the hunt for Kovy if Patty leaves. IMO, DW will use the money for defense/goaltending and if we are lucky, speed.

Old
06-06-2010, 05:56 PM
D Huang

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I really question that. He can be highlight reel as can Patty, but Patty's versatility should be given a lot more weight than you are giving it relative to Kovy's deadly shot. Kovy has played for two teams where they catered to his shot. If acquired, JT's passing game becomes a little moot. Heatley is complementary as he is good at garbage collection on rebounds. Kovy makes his own space. I don't question Kovy's desire to win, but I do think he will want a lot more than what Patty will get where the difference in total skill is not that great. Kovy is NOT a defensive player. Kovy already turned down $10mil/year from Atlanta. He may take less, but not a lot less. Rumors have $10mil/year on table from the KHL where the tax/escrow bite is a LOT less.

My take is that DW will not even be in the hunt for Kovy if Patty leaves. IMO, DW will use the money for defense/goaltending and if we are lucky, speed.
I'm not arguing which player is a better fit for this current team, I'm just judging them independently as players. Kovalchuk's shot makes him deadly, but he can create on his own. I put him in the same tier as Ovechkin and Crosby in terms of ability to cause havoc by himself, whereas Marleau simply isn't on that level. Marleau's defensive play is superior though.

Old
06-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Tealblood

Quote:
That's an oxymoron. So you're saying that as long as you score more goals(which kovy has never done in his two appearances in the playoffs), you're the "better forward"?

Speed and versatility, along with being one of the active top playoff scorers, make marleau the "better forward" imo.

But hey if we want him we can enjoy watching him in the first round before our team gets creamed.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 06:06 PM
D Huang

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarByte View Post
That's an oxymoron. So you're saying that as long as you score more goals(which kovy has never done in his two appearances in the playoffs), you're the "better forward"?

Speed and versatility, along with being one of the active top playoff scorers, make marleau the "better forward" imo.

But hey if we want him we can enjoy watching him in the first round before our team gets creamed.
Take off the teal colored glasses. Make this poll in the General Forums and see what mostly unbiased opinions are.

Kovalchuk isn't slow by any means, and if you think they switched teams Marleau would still have more playoff goals?

Old
06-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Tealblood

Quote:
Take off the teal colored glasses. Make this poll in the General Forums and see what mostly unbiased opinions are.

Kovalchuk isn't slow by any means, and if you think they switched teams Marleau would still have more playoff goals?
oh god you did not just mention those two words in the same sentence.

Old
06-06-2010, 06:16 PM
D Huang

Quote:
oh god you did not just mention those two words in the same sentence.
Why? There's 28 teams in this league. Fans of 28 teams with no horse in this race

Old
06-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Kitten Mittons

Kovalchuk is a choker. It's laughable that people call him a leader - a leader would never ask for max salary, thus ****ing up the rest of the team.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Kovalchuk is a more consistent scoring threat than Patrick Marleau. Patrick Marleau right now is the better player. Anybody that has seen Kovy off of the highlight reels knows he's a puck-hogging cherry-picker that plays no defense. He definitely has the desire but has absolutely no understanding of what it takes to win as he's never come close as a leader and has shown in the little time he had that he's not much of a follower either.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Frenzied Zamboni

I'm for keeping Patty and letting Nabokov go elsewhere.

I really just wished Nabokov's playoff performances have been better. Unfortunately, they're just good enough---and good enough has only given us playoff heartbreak every year since 03-04. A change would be good.

Frenzied Zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 08:58 PM
nbbyfan20

Kovy had his chance to be on a superior team and he failed. Did he even score a single goal in the first round?

nbbyfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Tealblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbbyfan20 View Post
Kovy had his chance to be on a superior team and he failed. Did he even score a single goal in the first round?
two, too little too late.

Old
06-06-2010, 09:05 PM
goalsversusthreshold*

Patrick Marleau plays the penalty kill and does a pretty good damn job of it. Kovalchuk is better offensively, so it's close, but I think Kovalchuk would ask for more so I'd rather keep Marleau than sign Kovalchuk. I also really hope we resign Malholtra. Our great PK numbers will be in free fall if we lose both of them.

goalsversusthreshold* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 11:01 PM
D Huang

Once again, I'm not talking about which player is a better fit for this team, or which player is better value at the salary they command, I'm just comparing the two on their skills. I understand there's emotional attachment with Marleau being drafted by the team and being here for a decade, or maybe people just tend to hate Russians, but Kovalchuk is undoubtedly elite while Marleau is borderline elite. I'll just leave my opinion at that

Old
06-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Tealblood

Quote:
Once again, I'm not talking about which player is a better fit for this team, or which player is better value at the salary they command, I'm just comparing the two on their skills. I understand there's emotional attachment with Marleau being drafted by the team and being here for a decade, or maybe people just tend to hate Russians, but Kovalchuk is undoubtedly elite while Marleau is borderline elite. I'll just leave my opinion at that
heater has better "skills" than marleau too, and look how that turned out.

Old
06-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Yes and based on the two player's skills, Patrick Marleau is the better and more versatile player because he's not a one-dimensional player that is useless in the post-season and useless if he's not handling the puck in general.

Old
06-06-2010, 11:17 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

I agree with D Huang.

Kovie is on the top plane with Crosby and Ovie.

Kovalchuk can make something happen one on one. He can shake guys out of their skates.

Marleau and Heatley are both on the second tier. I have never seen Marleau "take over a game" by himself and put the team on his shoulders. Marleau is mostly opportunistic and thrives when other players are getting all the attention. Save for the occasional break away goals, Marleau will most often burn you when he is forgotten about.

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
heater has better "skills" than marleau too, and look how that turned out.
Not to bad actually, until Heatley got hurt, kinda like Marleau did last year. And Patty's flu or whatever had him looking like crap until the WCF's, so what's your point?

12 L Patrick Marleau 82 44 39 83 21
15 R Dany Heatley 82 39 43 82 14

Until Heatley got hurt in the PO's things were lookin pretty good, kinda like Marleau did last year. And Patty's flu or whatever had him looking like crap until the WCF's, so what's your point?

And who's to say Patty doesn't revert to his awesome 07/08 season.

12 L Patrick Marleau 78 19 29 48 -19

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...

Last edited by Led Zappa: 06-06-2010 at 11:28 PM. Reason: typo
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post
I agree with D Huang.

Kovie is on the top plane with Crosby and Ovie.

Kovalchuk can make something happen one on one. He can shake guys out of their skates.

Marleau and Heatley are both on the second tier. I have never seen Marleau "take over a game" by himself and put the team on his shoulders. Marleau is mostly opportunistic and thrives when other players are getting all the attention. Save for the occasional break away goals, Marleau will most often burn you when he is forgotten about.
lol no, Kovalchuk is nowhere near the same time zone as players as Crosby and Ovechkin.

Kovalchuk is not someone you can rely on to put the team with any sort of consistency. There's a reason why he led one team to the post-season. He was dealt to a good team and failed there too. Kovalchuk is largely useless off the puck offensively, useless defensively, and doesn't make others better. He's a great one-on-one player, which he likes to rely on and is a big reason why he's easily shut down in the post-season, and has a great point shot. He's not so great in other aspects that are just as important to contributing to winning hockey as goal-scoring.