HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Captain?

Old
04-30-2010, 08:09 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

vCash: 500
New Captain?

glennons blog

http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...c-next-season/

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 08:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I was surprised at Trotz's candor, but pleased as well.

I definitely think it's time for a new leadership group...look at what happened after Carolina passed the captaincy on to Eric Staal midyear. This week has kind of been one of malcontented comments from Arnott and Dumont in particular. I think we're ready for the captaincy of Weber or Suter, hopefully the start of a long run for whomever.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

If it's an issue of comfort in wearing the C, then from what I've heard about the way it is in practice and what not, maybe Legwand would in fact be a good choice. He's clearly comfortable with being vocal and helping teammates out.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Bad Karma

I don't think I'm buying the comfort thing, he's been the Captain for 3 of his 4 years here. Legwand would be interesting for the simple fact he's never been an Alternate for any length of time, beyond the time Sullivan was out.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 03:08 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Im not too impressed with this talk. Didnt trotz make similarly non-committal statements last year? I think its his standard answer, just making sure nobody takes anything for granted.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 03:27 PM
AEM6729

So was Arnott voted captain by the players, or was it given to him by the coaches, or did he just kind of claim it? I know usually it's voted on by the team, but Trotz's comments didn't make it sound like that...and a reader's comment said that it wasn't voted on, so now I'm curious.

I never thought Trotz & Co would have the stones to strip the C from someone; I thought Arnott would have to leave for us to get a new captain. But these comments make it sound like that might not be the case, and I think that's awesome. Maybe the situations in Dallas and San Jose got Trotz thinking.

I think the two favorites for captain are obviously Weber and Suter, with Legwand third. I've always thought it would be Weber, but Suter must have some impressive leadership skills because he always has a letter on his chest in international competitions, where he's playing on really stacked teams. And it'd be kinda cool to have an American captain. Three years ago it would've been Sully for sure, but he's too old now and next season might be his last...I doubt they'd want to elect a new captain for such a short time.

The possibility of a new captain is exciting. Shows we're at least willing to shake something up next year!

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
So was Arnott voted captain by the players, or was it given to him by the coaches, or did he just kind of claim it? I know usually it's voted on by the team, but Trotz's comments didn't make it sound like that...and a reader's comment said that it wasn't voted on, so now I'm curious.

I never thought Trotz & Co would have the stones to strip the C from someone; I thought Arnott would have to leave for us to get a new captain. But these comments make it sound like that might not be the case, and I think that's awesome. Maybe the situations in Dallas and San Jose got Trotz thinking.

I think the two favorites for captain are obviously Weber and Suter, with Legwand third. I've always thought it would be Weber, but Suter must have some impressive leadership skills because he always has a letter on his chest in international competitions, where he's playing on really stacked teams. And it'd be kinda cool to have an American captain. Three years ago it would've been Sully for sure, but he's too old now and next season might be his last...I doubt they'd want to elect a new captain for such a short time.

The possibility of a new captain is exciting. Shows we're at least willing to shake something up next year!
Poile gave it to him

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 03:43 PM
JamboPred

next season:

C - Suter
A - Sullivan
A - Legwand

JamboPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 02:59 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboPred View Post
next season:

C - Suter
A - Sullivan
A - Legwand
so you rip it off a young guy like weber who wore an A all year?

and you give legwand the A for a decent playoff and one guy saying he talks at practice?

just making sure I have this right.

say what you will, but this is still sullivan's team. suter and weber are the present and future and it doesn't matter who wears the letters. heck, give all 3 an A until sullivan retires if you are worried about hurting his feelings

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

next year:
C - Arnott
A - Weber
A - Sullivan

after next year:
C - Weber
A - Suter
A - Legwand

Old
05-03-2010, 03:21 PM
JamboPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
so you rip it off a young guy like weber who wore an A all year?

and you give legwand the A for a decent playoff and one guy saying he talks at practice?

just making sure I have this right.

say what you will, but this is still sullivan's team. suter and weber are the present and future and it doesn't matter who wears the letters. heck, give all 3 an A until sullivan retires if you are worried about hurting his feelings
geez calm down it was only a suggestion based on what other people said!
if i had it my way weber would be captain

JamboPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

From earlier articles, it sounds like Weber and Suter are both captain potential, each with differing methods. IMO, both should have either an A or the C.....Sullivan should be included in the leadership group until his time ends here.

05-03-2010, 08:11 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Legwand please

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 08:49 PM
dulzhok

I'd bet a lot of money that Legwand will never be captain of this team.

But don't take my word for it, go listen to the Poile interview on NP.com. He sounds down right pissed at Legwand. "His play was unacceptable." "If he doesn't score at least 20 goals next year, I'm not going to be very happy."

This is not someone on the verge of being named captain of this team.

Last edited by dulzhok: 05-03-2010 at 08:54 PM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Steelhead16

Suter "A"
Weber "A"
Hornqvist "A"

No rule that you have to have a "C". It's a team with young talent see who becomes your leader and then give it out.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:02 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
next year:
C - Arnott
A - Weber
A - Sullivan

after next year:
C - Weber
A - Suter
A - Legwand
+1 IMO if they're not going to do anything about Arnott.

That said, I would rather the management take a decisive and ballsy move and remove the "C" from Arnott. He may play better, he can't really play much worse, and if he's so insulted he retires or asks for a trade...

Then I'd do this for the coming year:

C - Weber
A - Suter
A - Sullivan

And then:

C - Weber
A - Suter
A - Legwand

I wouldn't put Sullivan as Captain for the coming year, Weber is going to be the leader in the future so might as well make it official sooner than later rather than having three captains in three seasons.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 07:46 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Taking it from Arnott and giving it to Sullivan does nothing to change the dynamic\leadership of the team. I think a big part of the problem right now is this old-boys-club that Arnott\Dumont\Sullivan seem to have. I think, if it's going to move(it should), the best play would be one of the younger guys that represents the future of the franchise...not another symbol of an average\mediocre past.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 10:46 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Taking it from Arnott and giving it to Sullivan does nothing to change the dynamic\leadership of the team. I think a big part of the problem right now is this old-boys-club that Arnott\Dumont\Sullivan seem to have. I think, if it's going to move(it should), the best play would be one of the younger guys that represents the future of the franchise...not another symbol of an average\mediocre past.
yeah, I don't think Sullivan and Arnott are in any club together.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 10:49 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
agree with the idea but not the exact sentiment; don't think it's an "old boys club" nor celebrating the past average/mediocrity being ok. however, I do think that it's time to look at the future. previous captains brought experience, locker-room presence, etc. The last few years we've been trying to recover from Liarpold and the only kid we had with maturity was Hammer, so it was obvious that Arnie and Sully should have the leadership roles, both for their maturity and their experience. Today, Sully still has the on-ice attitude of a leader (at least most of the time) but if Arnie shows any leadership it's behind closed doors, not where we see it. Neither sets an example with outstanding performance. and yes, - as Neck said - they're the past.

while they can explain it away to some degree - I think both Poile and Trotz know they shoulda' had this one - or at least pushed it to game 7. we're clearly committed to a future of Suter and Weber going forward as our key on-ice leaders, we've signed Leggy and Marty, we have Wilson and hopefully Horny, and they've given JP a pretty good kick saying that they don't think he can perform skating top 6 minutes. I would never have thought Trotz would pull the C from a veteran - but I think maybe now they do. Weber or Suter - doesn't really matter which one. Or everyone with an A as someone else suggested. Sully keeps an A - while his performance is down that's an age thing and not an effort thing - I don't think it's smart to tank the whole leadership group and create a split of old-guys vs. new-future-guys. But we're staking our future to those 6 guys - it's time to give them the reins to shape what and how we go about our team biz.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 12:18 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
About the only thing Arnott and Sullivan have in common is the uniform they wear. During the playoffs, Sullivan was in the trenches almost every shift it seemed, battling for pucks, taking abuse, trying to make things happen. Even if he isn't playing all that well, Sully is always trying to generate something. He's the leader of this team, and has been for several years now.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 12:29 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
does the captaincy, or the wearing of a letter, really mean that much? I would think in a group that small, everyone knows who the leaders are regardless of who wears a letter.

I can see where stripping a player of the C would make a statement about and directly to that one player, but do you really, honestly think shuffling the letters around will result in a single extra point in the standings?

Personally I think this is all just a nice little distraction but in the end it wouldnt matter if Smithson, goc and belak wore the letters...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 12:48 PM
hockey_socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
About the only thing Arnott and Sullivan have in common is the uniform they wear. During the playoffs, Sullivan was in the trenches almost every shift it seemed, battling for pucks, taking abuse, trying to make things happen. Even if he isn't playing all that well, Sully is always trying to generate something. He's the leader of this team, and has been for several years now.
QFT

Arnott looked like he's slowed down/lost a step or was just out of gas this season on top of his normal lollygagging. Rather than taking the C from him, I'd prefer the Preds go ahead and trade him. He just doesn't seem like a player that would take losing a letter well. I could be wrong, but just a feeling I get. Also, perhaps the Preds could use that money some other way.

hockey_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Sullivan is the leader of this team regardless of what letter Arnott has on his sweater. The probable reason for not taking the C from Arnott is because he will whine and become lazy and disinterested because something didn't go his way.

Oh wait.....

Old
05-04-2010, 12:52 PM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
does the captaincy, or the wearing of a letter, really mean that much? I would think in a group that small, everyone knows who the leaders are regardless of who wears a letter.

I can see where stripping a player of the C would make a statement about and directly to that one player, but do you really, honestly think shuffling the letters around will result in a single extra point in the standings?

Personally I think this is all just a nice little distraction but in the end it wouldnt matter if Smithson, goc and belak wore the letters...
Ask the Sharks that question.

Seriously it all depends on the value and the "duties" the team, places on the captain and alternates. On ice it's the same for everyone, but off ice teams use the captains for different reasons. It could make a huge difference in a team that has problems working together or a team that doesn't provide the effort every shift and every game. Neither of these are problems for this team. The only issue I could see is that Arnott would most of the year and possibly divide the locker room. Not saying that would happen, but you run the risk.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 12:54 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

I think it means a lot if and when the captain isn't giving it his all on the ice. It sends a bad message to the other guys, especially the young ones, that if he's not gonna bust his tail, why should we.

Lots of guys have different styles. Lidstrom and Niedermayer do it the quiet way, the lead by example on the ice and in their play. A guy like Doan steps up his physical play during the playoffs. Dustin Brown wasn't afraid to get his nose dirty.

I think two great examples are Messier and Yzerman. Granted, hall of famers but when Messier said they'd win, he elevated his game one more notch. Yzerman was playing with a bum knee one year, do you think anyone in that locker room was gonna give less than 100% when he was out there playing handicapped?

While I see your point and get it I think it means more than you stated. That's just me though.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote