HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Thread (Discussion of Kovy's rights goes here for now)

Old
06-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Cook24

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cook24
I'd rather we just sign Kovalchuk than trade for a second line center. Stoll has put up 60 once before, I believe he can put up 50 this season with Smyth and Williams on his wing. Paying 3.5 Mil a year for a 50 point 2 way center is a bargain I think.

Last edited by Cook24: 06-06-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats26 View Post
What happens if Marleau and Kovy resign before July 1st? What is your PLAN B or C? Wasn't Smyth a trade? DL needs to make a statement before July 1st so UFAs who sign in LA know we are moving towards being cup contenders. A trade bringing in top talent will do that. Montreal traded for Gomez before Gionta and Cammy signed there. We are reallu lacking a second line centerman and a 4th D. Having Spezza will make Marleau\Kovy want to really think about it. Of course the money also has to be there.
I think your logic is reasonable but the solution is flawed. It make sense to bring in another player to upgrade the team before July 1 to draw out Kovy or PattyM. However, signing Spezza makes zero sense w/ our pipeline. Also, what if it doesn't work, then we're stuck w/ a nasty salary that will prevent us from signing a key piece later if for some reason DL is unable to land Kovy or PattyM.
I think a better solution would be to make a decent trade before July 1 to bring in a top six D Man which you suggest. That should be sufficient to let both Patty M and Kovy know the Kings are serious about contending. We shore that up then it might do just that. Good thought...but again..pass on Spezza... doesn't play DL's style......and you can then pay either a bit more than wasting cash on a name that doesn't produce when really needed.....

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Mats26
Cup Champs

A trade to bring in a D to intice UFA signings? Who do you have in mind? I think we can sign a decent D from the UFA crop. We need a 4th or 5th D not a top 3 so we can sign someone cheap. Aucoin or similar D for 2-2.5 for 1 year will help bridge the gap.

If we make a trade it will have to be for our top 6. We need to get a second line center Spezza, Bergeron, etc or someone to play on Kopitar's wing without getting injured for half the season.

Mats26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

If the Kings were to acquire a #2 center, they have to find a team that is willing to accept Jarret Stoll, and the Kings will also have to be acquiring a hefty contract, and realistically speaking, there are not many options available that make sense for the Kings.

It would have to be a name like Jason Arnott or Andy McDonald, centers in their mid 30s who have a cap hit around $4.5M+. Arnott has one year remaining whereas McDonald has three years left on his deal.

Stoll has two years to go at $3.6M. I would say either one of Arnott or McDonald are upgrades at the 2nd line C position over Stoll, however, Stoll's faceoff winning ability is invaluable and he is one of the hardest working two-way forwards on the team.

The Kings aren't going to add a Spezza and the Bruins aren't going to trade Bergeron, as much as I'd like to see him on the Kings, unless the Kings part with some significant pieces. It would take more than Stoll to get such a deal done. I also would say that Buffalo is not going to trade Derek Roy and Florida isn't moving Stephen Weiss. These are the #1 centers for their respective clubs.

As far as free agent centers go, the following names are available:
Tomas Plekanec
Olli Jokinen
Matthew Lombardi
Saku Koivu
Matt Cullen
Mike Comrie

Not many of those players are better than Stoll. I'd say the only upgrades over Stoll from that list would be Plekanec, Koivu, and Lombardi. Plekanec is going to command over $5M, Koivu is said to be interested in returning to the Ducks, and Lombardi will likely get a deal over $3M in free agency. Cullen and Stoll are similar players, with Cullen being a better playmaker than Stoll. Olli Jokinen struggled this season, as did Mike Comrie, so I would disqualify them as options for the Kings.

The best option at center would be to develop a #2 center from within, be it Schenn or Loktionov. Both players may be ready to graduate to the NHL by 2011. The Kings can't afford to handcuff themselves with a long term commitment for a short term solution.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 08:11 PM
DeeMeck

I don't think Plekanec will be as effective in the western conference.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 12:28 AM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

You guys see that thread about KHL offering Kovy 14mil per year for 3 years?

If he takes the deal whats Plan B for Lombardi?

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 12:46 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme1995 View Post
You guys see that thread about KHL offering Kovy 14mil per year for 3 years?

If he takes the deal whats Plan B for Lombardi?
As far as FA's go it would be Marleau..but I'm not thinking about plan B right now.

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 01:51 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Plan B clearly is Patrick Marleau. If that doesn't happen, they may have to look at their trade options, with Martin St. Louis probably being the best option. If all else fails, roll the dice and see if Paul Kariya can find his magic touch again in SoCal. It worked for Teemu and the Ducks.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Mats26
Cup Champs

The bidding war will get to be too high for both of them. The hype sourrounding Kovy will elevate his value to where we can't afford him. Marleau is our best shot but I have a feeling we may be looking at plan C or D. I think DL will get something done via trade, players in the 3-4 mil mark with maybe a D UFA signing.

Old
06-07-2010, 11:00 AM
redcard

Personally, I don't think we necessarily need an upgrade at #2 (i.e. acquiring a Spezza/Carter), as I do feel we have that coming from within in Schenn and upgrading Stoll would cost too much. If Stoll is moved I'd expect it to be for a bridge guy, someone who can be effective but not under contract for longer than a year or two when Schenn can be expected to step in. So I like the idea of Arnott as he's a veteran guy who can still produce and will help make up for some of the size we're losing with Modin and Frolov gone.

Kovalchuk/Marleau/Sharp-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Arnott-Williams
Richie-Handzus-Simmonds

That's a pretty Solid top 9. Grit, Size, and Skill.

After next year, re-sign Handzus to a cheaper contract Williams and Arnott are off the books replaced by Schenn and ? (If Williams has a better season we may want to bring him back at a reduced price as well).

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:38 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
The bidding war will get to be too high for both of them. The hype sourrounding Kovy will elevate his value to where we can't afford him. Marleau is our best shot but I have a feeling we may be looking at plan C or D. I think DL will get something done via trade, players in the 3-4 mil mark with maybe a D UFA signing.
So, our only hope is to deal away our youth, that is either currently on our team or the exact players that DL said he wouldn't deal so that we can get a player who is only good because he is given all of the ice time and line mates possible?

Elite level talent who have all either left (one even demanded) playing beside him and gone on to succeed without him.

Spezza has special talent and yet he still isn't worth dealing for, not with his cap hit or with his lack of heart, drive or his documented attitude problems.

The price for Carter will be a big one and that means that we are dreaming if we think that a deal surrounding Stoll and a few prospects will get the job done, same with Spezza though.

UFA's cost only the cap space and we get to keep the prospects that DL has not only coveted but also said over and over that he wouldn't deal. Now that isn't to say that a deal won't be made but it does mean that I don't see us completely ripping our team apart to fill it with a would be all star team when A, that sort of thing never seems to work (unless it happens through an actual youth movement) and B, costs us for years down the road. Ask the Rangers about how good it works.

We don't have a single top line LW for next year and to lay the burden on a rookie is simply too much to ask for and we also don't have one in our fold who can do the job.

DL simply cannot let us take a step backwards this year or his plan has been worthless and it makes him out to be a failure.

As for the cap I was saying the exact same things about it that you were Mats but have a look back through this thread and you will see several examples of how easily we can afford to sign a top line ufa and keep our kids signed too.

Take a look back and then let us know how it can't be done.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:52 AM
funky

Dallas is rumored to be shedding salary.......no idea if these rumors are true.

If it is the case I like Ribeiro as a 2nd line center. He is a pass first type guy with skill which would mesh well with Brown. He is signed for 3 more at 5 mil a year which allows us to develop our young guys instead of rely on them. Plus Stoll may be part of the package to get him.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Mats26
Cup Champs

You'll have a total of 30 games played between the 3 of them from that 2nd line. And where is the speed on that line? Schenn is still 2-3 years away from being a productive NHLer. We ethier stay with Stoll or make a move to improve up the middle. I suggest we make a move. Getting Marleau is our best bet, he can play wing or center until Schenn is ready. Trade Stoll this year since he have more value there are not many centers in this year UFA crop.

Old
06-07-2010, 12:07 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post

If it is the case I like Ribeiro as a 2nd line center. He is a pass first type guy with skill which would mesh well with Brown. He is signed for 3 more at 5 mil a year which allows us to develop our young guys instead of rely on them. Plus Stoll may be part of the package to get him.
Please no. Rather have Spezza....and I don't even want him.

Old
06-07-2010, 12:11 PM
redcard

Quote:
You'll have a total of 30 games played between the 3 of them from that 2nd line. And where is the speed on that line? Schenn is still 2-3 years away from being a productive NHLer. We ethier stay with Stoll or make a move to improve up the middle. I suggest we make a move. Getting Marleau is our best bet, he can play wing or center until Schenn is ready. Trade Stoll this year since he have more value there are not many centers in this year UFA crop.
Stoll's not exactly Mr. Ironman himself. An Arnott/Stoll switch would likely make a difference of 10 games lost to injury, but more offensive production throughout the whole season (Arnott scored 3 more goals in 10 less games this season) Add in the fact that Arnott would be Third in terms of Ice time amongst centers in LA as opposed to 1st in Nashville and that will likely keep him a little healthier.

The second part doesn't really make sense, if Stoll has more value this year due to a lack of centers it would then cost us more to acquire a 2nd line center to replace him. As for Marleau acquiring him, Kovalchuk, or Sharp is still a part of the plan and why I included him on the wing, if you expect him to play center after moving stoll then we still need to acquire a top 6 winger.

Old
06-07-2010, 12:12 PM
funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Please no. Rather have Spezza....and I don't even want him.
trust me, I would rather have Spezza too. But if you look at Ribeiro's point totals and the way he has matured in te last few years he should be a lock for 80 points a year, especially with Kopitar drawing the heavy checking assignments. So basically we can add 30 points a year for 1.4 million which is good bang for the buck.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 12:16 PM
redcard

Quote:
trust me, I would rather have Spezza too. But if you look at Ribeiro's point totals and the way he has matured in te last few years he should be a lock for 80 points a year, especially with Kopitar drawing the heavy checking assignments. So basically we can add 30 points a year for 1.4 million which is good bang for the buck.
But he's still a ****** bag.

Old
06-07-2010, 12:25 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:

"F" Riberio, that punkass, smack-talking faker. I dont want him anywhere near my hockey team.

"F" him and that stupid crap he pulls. (And, NO, that smilie don't mean sarcasm.)

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 12:35 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
"F" Riberio, that punkass, smack-talking faker. I dont want him anywhere near my hockey team.

"F" him and that stupid crap he pulls. (And, NO, that smilie don't mean sarcasm.)
Agreed.

Old
06-07-2010, 12:48 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

I laugh at all you guys for hatin' on Ribiero. Why, because he showed us up at the shootout? Big deal!!! Get over it!!! I actually thought it was funny.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
I don't get you guys.......................

We don't have a need for a 2nd line center.
We trade Stoll for a 2nd, promote Lewis to the 4th line and everything is fine......
That would free enough money to upgrade the defense or bring in a left wing.
Why does it always have to be that complicated.

Serious.......... Richardson was good enough to have great run with Kopitar and Simmonds on the 1st line but he isn't able to handle the 2nd line ????????????

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 01:05 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
I don't get you guys.......................

We don't have a need for a 2nd line center.
We trade Stoll for a 2nd, promote Lewis to the 4th line and everything is fine......
That would free enough money to upgrade the defense or bring in a left wing.
Why does it always have to be that complicated.

Serious.......... Richardson was good enough to have great run with Kopitar and Simmonds on the 1st line but he isn't able to handle the 2nd line ????????????
I'll partially agree with you. I do like Richie but I would like to acquire an established 2nd line center and let Richie move where hes needed most (anywhere between 2nd and 3rd line). Our first priority is Kovy but then after that, our second need would be a 2nd line center. I still like the idea of Joe Thornton being our 1a/1b center for a year or two until Schenn is ready.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 01:06 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

We don't need a second line center. We have Stoll, Richardson, and Handzus which can all play the position. We also have Lewis, Schenn, and Loktionov in the minors. We need a top flight winger to play with Kopitar and a depth defenseman.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 01:12 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I laugh at all you guys for hatin' on Ribiero. Why, because he showed us up at the shootout? Big deal!!! Get over it!!! I actually thought it was funny.
It's not really the fact that he tried to show us up.

It was a selfish, individual move by a player in a shoot-out that wasn't even won yet. We ended up winning the shoot-out and ultimately got the last laugh. I could see him doing it if it was a GWG or something.

I guarantee you Modano and Morrow couldn't have been happy about it.

Old
06-07-2010, 01:16 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post