HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Thread (Discussion of Kovy's rights goes here for now)

Old
06-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Duc620

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I don't think anyone does. No one here is advocating "overpaying" Kovalchuk.
I do. Kovalchuk on Kopitar's wing for 10 years is worth it.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Are they ready though? Or does he grab a guy like Kaberle on a 1 year deal?
You are right... DL provided his reasons why the D kids aren't ready. At the same time he pointed out the importance of improving 5 on 5 scoring with better break out passes from the D. He all but said he's going after a puck mover. IMO, probably two veteran D for about 6 mil total per year. Kaberle is not in that price range.

The other piece is Kovalchuk. That will be a very interesting bidding war. Especially after the praise Lamoriello gave K.

Old
06-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
He may be a lawyer, but I think he states his mind, or at least, all the thoughts and options running through it. You can kind of figure out which option he likes more based on his phrasing.

Really, phrasing of his thoughts is where the lawyer speak comes into play. He isn't lying about his thoughts, but he uses specific language to make nothing he says definite, so that you can't hold him to anything.

Sure he could be lying, but Lombardi, for as much as he speaks, says more with what he doesn't say than what he actually does.
He doesn't usually lie out right like some other Kings brass (Liewieke), but he leaves himself a lot of outs which each statement. They are so well crafted, you can read almost anything into his statements.

Don't get me wrong, I love reading his comments and enjoy the effort in trying to decipher the true meaning behinds his words, but he uses a lot of double speak to confuse the jury, i.e. fans.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 08:38 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
OOOOH that 8 seed that made a one year run and missed the playoffs the next year yup good thing they had that great second line center. That year of course he provided a massive 10 pts in 24 games!!!! Playoff hero imo...O lets add that Stoll had 1 pt in the playoffs this year in 6 games!...people wanna say the Kings have trouble scoring 5v5 its because a lack of a second line that this is the case.
I'm not arguing whether or not Stoll is an adequate 2nd line center.

But he has been a 2nd line center on a team that came with in one game of winning a Stanley Cup. Therefore your statement about him was false. That is all.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 09:05 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
I do. Kovalchuk on Kopitar's wing for 10 years is worth it.
Until the day you have to pay Doughty 7+ and you're stuck with a TB situation.

SFKingshomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Johnny Utah

I think the article has it right, we need a top scorer and a top 4 D and guys for trade bait are Williams, Stoll, Moller and Ersberg. That about sums it up.

How disapointing is the Williams trade. I will take O'Sullivan back, actually all 3 guys in the deal stink, Cole too.

Johnny Utah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Until the day you have to pay Doughty 7+ and you're stuck with a TB situation.
Kopi
Kovy

Doughty
Johnson

Brown
Simmonds

the goalie of your choice, Quick or Bernier, and probably add Schenn for good measure.

Sign these guys long term and roll everyone else thru the system. Check out how many guys Chicago and Detroit have on their rosters who make between $500K to $2 million. Not to mention the $2 Mil cap increase this year and probably next as well.... No worries!

Old
06-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
...How disapointing is the Williams trade....
He was one injury from a great season. It happens. Smythe too.
For a brief moment - the Kopi, Smythe, Williams line was magical....
might be again. Have to wait and see.

Old
06-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

I wouldn't be surprised if Smyth is bought out next year. Would save $3 million against the cap, it will depend on how much the cap grows next year.

I expect the Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Williams line to be magical.

Old
06-02-2010, 09:57 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Kopi
Kovy

Doughty
Johnson

Brown
Simmonds

the goalie of your choice, Quick or Bernier, and probably add Schenn for good measure.

Sign these guys long term and roll everyone else thru the system. Check out how many guys Chicago and Detroit have on their rosters who make between $500K to $2 million. Not to mention the $2 Mil cap increase this year and probably next as well.... No worries!
I still don't see where Kovalchuk fits. CHI is a prime example of needing 4 or 5 defenseman that can move the puck and 4 solid lines. Depth> 1 dimensional superstars.

Old
06-02-2010, 10:06 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
I still don't see where Kovalchuk fits. CHI is a prime example of needing 4 or 5 defenseman that can move the puck and 4 solid lines. Depth> 1 dimensional superstars.
How can you cite Chicago for defense when their forwards are FAR superior to ours. Where's our Kane? Our Hossa? We can't match their forward depth for ****. However our d is very close. We are 1 defenseman away from them, but 2 forwards worse. Forward strenth needs more bolstering than the D. D needs to be better but not by as much as the forwards.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 10:12 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
How can you cite Chicago for defense when their forwards are FAR superior to ours. Where's our Kane? Our Hossa? We can't match their forward depth for ****. However our d is very close. We are 1 defenseman away from them, but 2 forwards worse. Forward strenth needs more bolstering than the D. D needs to be better but not by as much as the forwards.
We have 2 D that can move the puck as opposed to 4 or 5 on CHI. Our D isn't close to CHI and needs at least 1 more experienced, 2 way dman. Forward depth is important but I believe we need to shore up our D before adding a Kovalchuk. This team is still 3-4 years away from advancing, IMO. A trade for Kaberle and the addition of a 2nd/3rd line LW would do wonders.

Old
06-02-2010, 10:18 PM
oldtimescout

shoud we expect any surprises?

oldtimescout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 10:23 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimescout View Post
Im expecting a couple.

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimescout View Post
I expect more disappointment.

Old
06-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Kovy on Kopitar's wing for 10 years and you can't see where he'd fit? Come on... how many chances will the Kings and NHL get for a combo like this when both are prime? It'd be golden. It'd be like Gretzky and Kurri.

We do need a couple of veteran D for two years who can improve the break out and break in the rookies. But we can still afford those two guys and Kovalchuk, IMO. It's just that Chicago has a bunch of $2 mil, $1 mil and 5-900K players that provide that depth. Check their salary structure.

Old
06-02-2010, 10:50 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see 2 from this list make the team next year:

Muzzin, Hickey, Voynov.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 10:53 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Kovy on Kopitar's wing for 10 years and you can't see where he'd fit? Come on... how many chances will the Kings and NHL get for a combo like this when both are prime? It'd be golden. It'd be like Gretzky and Kurri.

We do need a couple of veteran D for two years who can improve the break out and break in the rookies. But we can still afford those two guys and Kovalchuk, IMO. It's just that Chicago has a bunch of $2 mil, $1 mil and 5-900K players that provide that depth. Check their salary structure.
I'd rather have 4 lines and 2 awesome D pairings than Kovalchuk, Kopitar, Doughty, Bernier, and a bunch of fillers. It all depends on the development of the kids...

Old
06-02-2010, 11:02 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
We have 2 D that can move the puck as opposed to 4 or 5 on CHI. Our D isn't close to CHI and needs at least 1 more experienced, 2 way dman. Forward depth is important but I believe we need to shore up our D before adding a Kovalchuk. This team is still 3-4 years away from advancing, IMO. A trade for Kaberle and the addition of a 2nd/3rd line LW would do wonders.
'Before adding a Kovalchuk'... you generally only get one chance to add a kovalchuk. In fact, adding a kovalchuk through ufa is practically unprecedented. So you are missing the point of timing and cashing in when you have the chance. Pass this up, it is very likely you never get another like it.

As for '3-4 yearsw from advancing'... what? Advanc@ing where? Past the first round? Why the supremely pessimistic 'tude? With the right moves we can be in the conference finals next year and playing for the cup in 2012. Scratch that, we SHOULd be.

Once again, there aqre no 'oh man never gonna get another chance like this' dmen. There will always be a Hamhuis to add. That's faaar from rare. Adding a kovalchuk is like a four leaf clover, you don't just walk paqst it without trying.

I understand not wanting him for too much of a price, or thinking we can get by with oither options, but to think its more important to add a dman right now than it is to entertain and try to sign Kovalchuk (or any other great scoring talent) is silly.

This is where I think you misread DLs comments. There are other, equally good options to add a dman, likely from within the system (read: CHEAP but effective) whereas our opprotunity for a forward, andf the likelihood of finding another great talent after this year is not nearly as strong. You can live without a dman right now, but can you loive without a Kovalchuk forever?

And forget Kovy, yoyu seem to think we don't need more sniper talent. Where will itg come from? Who will acgtually put more pucks in the net? Parse? Transition game is important, but we still lack enough finsiehrs. Of that, there is absolutely no question. Kopi can finish regularly. That's about it. That's not goodenough.

Old
06-02-2010, 11:04 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Its also erronious of you to suggest that by adding a 'one dimensional superstar' that we would not be able to have depth. You can have both.

Old
06-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
be honest kurrilino.

What's with the Stoll hate?

We understand He isn't an elite second line center. But, He's adequate, he's a faceoff wizz, he can run the point, he's good on the PK , and has been pretty instrumental in turning this franchise around.

Did he try to wreck your girlfriend?
I try to explain............

My love for Richardson is because he is a pure playmaker. He is mobile in puck possession and catches the attention from 2 guys while skating in offensive zone.
Then he passes to the guy in open space...... pure playmaker.
With two skilled wingers he will be a PPG player very soon. Unfortunately not for the Kings.

Stoll is the opposite. He is to slow to escape from a defender and his missing hockey IQ is not helping either. Where the fairy tales from a great point shot is coming from is far beyond me.
He shoots an whoping average of 2 shots per game. That leads to incredible 4 PPG
and 12 regular season goals in 73 games. His career best was 11 PPG in 82 games.
Please could somebody help me out and explain me how people
tell that a great shot ????? i would call it "this guys doesn't hit the water when he fells out of a boat"

Next part is passing because he plays center. His average is around 25 assists per season. A reason for this is again his slow motion play and his lack of hockey IQ.
There were so many time when i thought...... please don't run into the boards or the defender just drop the pass and let a guy in the slot shoot.

His faceoff skill is above average but thaty doesn't make him a center.
The centerman is the most important tool in offensive gaming.
Right now i think he is holding his wingers back because they never get any chance to score.

All that for 3.6 Millions per year..............
that is not a fact this is my opinion.

Richardson is rotting with players like ivanans just because the salary of Stoll makes it impossible to park him at the 4th line where he belongs because he is a great 2 way man.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:21 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
'Before adding a Kovalchuk'... you generally only get one chance to add a kovalchuk. In fact, adding a kovalchuk through ufa is practically unprecedented. So you are missing the point of timing and cashing in when you have the chance. Pass this up, it is very likely you never get another like it.

As for '3-4 yearsw from advancing'... what? Advanc@ing where? Past the first round? Why the supremely pessimistic 'tude? With the right moves we can be in the conference finals next year and playing for the cup in 2012. Scratch that, we SHOULd be.

Once again, there aqre no 'oh man never gonna get another chance like this' dmen. There will always be a Hamhuis to add. That's faaar from rare. Adding a kovalchuk is like a four leaf clover, you don't just walk paqst it without trying.

I understand not wanting him for too much of a price, or thinking we can get by with oither options, but to think its more important to add a dman right now than it is to entertain and try to sign Kovalchuk (or any other great scoring talent) is silly.

This is where I think you misread DLs comments. There are other, equally good options to add a dman, likely from within the system (read: CHEAP but effective) whereas our opprotunity for a forward, andf the likelihood of finding another great talent after this year is not nearly as strong. You can live without a dman right now, but can you loive without a Kovalchuk forever?

And forget Kovy, yoyu seem to think we don't need more sniper talent. Where will itg come from? Who will acgtually put more pucks in the net? Parse? Transition game is important, but we still lack enough finsiehrs. Of that, there is absolutely no question. Kopi can finish regularly. That's about it. That's not goodenough.
3-4 years until Doughty, JJ, etc. gain some experience and get us out of the 1st round, IMO. Kovalchuk would be fine but don't complain if and when it costs us JJ, Simmonds and whoever else. He isn't coming to LA for a penny under 8 million unless he believes we are a contender, which we are a long ways from being. I get that a Kovalchuk type isn't a UFA often but how often do UFA have an impact on their team? I'd hate to see DL blow 8 million per for a guy who doesn't fit this team at all. We still don't have a top 4 D anywhere close to NAS, CHI, or PHI.

Last edited by SFKingshomer: 06-02-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old
06-02-2010, 11:29 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Hmmm, not penny under 8 huh.

Its just really negative to think we are 3 years away from winning a playoff series. No, its stupid. If you turn out to be right and we can't win a single playoff series for 3 years, you should be ashamed and we should all be rooting for another team.

Old
06-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

Everybody keeps using Chi as an example of what this Franchise can be but I see one big problem. We don't have an sniper like Kane anywhere in this franchise. You can compare a lot of people in Chi to LA but we don't have that shooter.

Docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:30 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Hmmm, not penny under 8 huh.

Its just really negative to think we are 3 years away from winning a playoff series. No, its stupid. If you turn out to be right and we can't win a single playoff series for 3 years, you should be ashamed and we should all be rooting for another team.