HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Thread (Discussion of Kovy's rights goes here for now)

Old
06-19-2010, 09:59 PM
SFKingshomer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Not if you offer the captancy to the UFA. Could be a factor.
That would be a dumb move. Weber will be captain.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 03:12 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Every team is trying to position themselves to make a realistic push for Kovalchuk on July 1st. Everyone has to realize that multiple 40 and 50 goal scorers rarely, if ever at all, reach free agency. This just doesn't happen, unless they come with major baggage, like Gaborik last season. The more and more I see teams jockeying for Kovalchuk position, the less and less the reality of DL signing him becomes.

Lombardi simply won't win any bidding wars. He's too shrewd of a general manager. He's not going to get caught up in blowing his load for a big free agent. It's just not his style. Perhaps something can be worked out, but I honestly think our big acquisition this summer will come through a trade rather than free agency. Knowing Lombardi and looking at his body of work as our GM, plus what's going on in the league right now, and that's just what things are looking like.

Just my .02.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Kingler

Kovalchuk options are dwindling. Seems like his camp is trying to get as much bidder as possible (which they should be doing)

NJ seems to be out of it. Toronto and Colorado, to various degree, already came out to deny that they will be pursuing Kovalchuk (although that may be posturing). And if he doesn't like Atlanta, I don't think he would go for the likes of St. Louis, Columbus, Edmonton or Nashville. NYI can offer him loads of money and the living environment but not competitive team. Pheonix can't even decide where they will be playing. The rest seems to be too limited by cap space

IMO, the bidding war for Kovy may not occur at all

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 11:09 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
Kovalchuk options are dwindling. Seems like his camp is trying to get as much bidder as possible (which they should be doing)

NJ seems to be out of it. Toronto and Colorado, to various degree, already came out to deny that they will be pursuing Kovalchuk (although that may be posturing). And if he doesn't like Atlanta, I don't think he would go for the likes of St. Louis, Columbus, Edmonton or Nashville. NYI can offer him loads of money and the living environment but not competitive team. Pheonix can't even decide where they will be playing. The rest seems to be too limited by cap space

IMO, the bidding war for Kovy may not occur at all
1. If they re-sign Martin, they're likely out.
2. I don't buy for a second that Burke isn't interested, though i don't think he'll give obscene money.
3. STL has been a playoff team for the better part of the last 20 years, and seem to wanna get back there. They are likely the only team that could offer over $8M, considering that after re-signing EJ, Steen, Perron and Halak they will have about $17M in cap space.

But I agree, their likely won't be 8 or 10 teams seriously bidding. Probably more like 5(LA, STL, TOR, NJD and NYR(cap issues pending)).

Last edited by KopitarFAN: 06-20-2010 at 12:11 PM.
KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote