HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Thread (Discussion of Kovy's rights goes here for now)

Old
06-03-2010, 07:59 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Why does Parse signing still bother me so much?
I really don't know. Its strange. He's so um.... insignificant? Or maybe very significant... in which case, why be so bothered? If he plays well, awesome. If he doesn't, who cares, scratch him or trade him.

Are you jealous he's almost a millionaire??

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 08:07 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
If the cap does not continue to grow, the Kings could buy out Smyth next summer if needed and save $3 million against the cap.
Doubt this will happen. From a cash/budget perspective, you have to pay Smyth $4mm (his salary in '11) to leave. Then you have to pay his replacement $2mm. Effectively you've forked out $6mm for a 20-25 goal scorer. Your net cap gain is $6mm - $3mm + $2mm = $1mm.

I think the Kings elect to pay Smyth's $4mm salary (even though his cap hit is $6.25mm) in 2011 because the alternative just doesn't make sense. He's already uprooted his family once, doubt he does it again (and waives his NMC) with 1 yr left on his deal. Sorry guys, I think Smyth stays.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 08:07 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I really don't know. Its strange. He's so um.... insignificant? Or maybe very significant... in which case, why be so bothered? If he plays well, awesome. If he doesn't, who cares, scratch him or trade him.

Are you jealous he's almost a millionaire??
It's odd because in the pre-season, I was hoping he'd get a chance with the team and preferably stick. And when he finally got the call, I was very happy for him and pretty happy with his overall production. However, I guess I see him as just a one dimensional player that may be taking up a roster spot of someone I probably like better: Moller, Clifford, Lewis etc and not to mention all the FA possibilities.

Yeah, I know he can be moved/waived etc.. It just bothers me whenever someone makes a roster, his name is there on the 3rd line instead of a Moller or a FA. I'm still happy for the guy and wish him the very best. I just wished he would have success elsewhere.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 08:22 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
It's odd because in the pre-season, I was hoping he'd get a chance with the team and preferably stick. And when he finally got the call, I was very happy for him and pretty happy with his overall production. However, I guess I see him as just a one dimensional player that may be taking up a roster spot of someone I probably like better: Moller, Clifford, Lewis etc and not to mention all the FA possibilities.

Yeah, I know he can be moved/waived etc.. It just bothers me whenever someone makes a roster, his name is there on the 3rd line instead of a Moller or a FA. I'm still happy for the guy and wish him the very best. I just wished he would have success elsewhere.
He hasn't made the roster yet. He isn't taking a spot from anyone. He still has to earn it and Clifford or someone else can still easily beat him out for that spot.

Old
06-03-2010, 08:30 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
He hasn't made the roster yet. He isn't taking a spot from anyone. He still has to earn it and Clifford or someone else can still easily beat him out for that spot.
Yeah, I know. I said it bothers me whenever someone makes a roster and his name is always there on the 3rd line.

Anyone got any prescription drug LBFF???

Old
06-03-2010, 08:39 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I said it bothers me whenever someone makes a roster and his name is always there on the 3rd line.

Gotcha. I misread.

Old
06-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 413
Quote:

What do I have to do with this?

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 09:52 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
What do I have to do with this?
Nothing. I was jokingly hoping you can help me score some medicinal marijuana.

Old
06-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

If RH was homeless, he would hold a "will wrestle for food" sign at the side of the freeway

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:06 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post

Who is going to be our John Madden or Bill Guerin type guy?
You can always sign John Madden to be your John Madden

He will be too costly for Hawks to retain

Jake Dowell and half mil cap hit will likely be our #4 C next year

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:16 AM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Quote:

Are you saying above players are better suited for Kings than Parse or you just like them more?

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:19 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
To be fair, Lombardi is a lawyer... I don't believe a word he says to the press anymore. I just enjoy the flair.
No offense taken in case you were wondering.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
No offense taken in case you were wondering.
Not worried, but thanks.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:30 AM
KingCanadain1976

I'm wondering if the Kings would have any interest in Jason Speeza should we miss out on the big two (kovy and marleau). I think him and Kopi would make a kick ass 1a 1b punch down the middle. Assuming for a minute we would be do you think something like stoll williams moller and hickey get it done ? or add more or less?

KingCanadain1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:48 AM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
I'm wondering if the Kings would have any interest in Jason Speeza should we miss out on the big two (kovy and marleau). I think him and Kopi would make a kick ass 1a 1b punch down the middle. Assuming for a minute we would be do you think something like stoll williams moller and hickey get it done ? or add more or less?
The Spezza rumors seem to be just that. It's a good idea but I'm sure OTT would want Schenn as part of the package, if they were to trade their #1 center.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
That cap hit would be an issue.

And I agree with SFKH that is would got Schenn.

Old
06-04-2010, 11:06 AM
KingCanadain1976

I honestly think if i was Dean i would consider moving scheen for spezza. I think hes that "right fit"we keep hearing about. He signed long term at a reasonable hit for what he brings to the table. He the right age for the core. I would be very happy with him as my center for years to come. Scheen is a great propect but hasn't proven anything yet. If the sens would take scheen stoll/williams l and maybe someone like harold and a second Id be all over it.

Old
06-04-2010, 11:12 AM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
That cap hit would be an issue.

And I agree with SFKH that is would got Schenn.
No more then signing kovi or marleau and everyone seems in favour of that. Speeza is one of them top players in the league I think he might be worth trading scheen

Old
06-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
I honestly think if i was Dean i would consider moving scheen for spezza. I think hes that "right fit"we keep hearing about. He signed long term at a reasonable hit for what he brings to the table. He the right age for the core. I would be very happy with him as my center for years to come. Scheen is a great propect but hasn't proven anything yet. If the sens would take scheen stoll/williams l and maybe someone like harold and a second Id be all over it.
The name of the game in the cap era is bang for the buck and getting the most production for the dollar. Prospects and cheap contracts are more valuable than ever. Schenn is talking about redoing his deal so his cap hit is less.
Schenn at say a 1.5 mil cap hit will be a bargain in years 2 and 3 and allow us to sign guys to 1 year deals or trade for them.

If you were the Ottawa GM why would you take the trade you are proposing?
Harrold has little no value and Williams is a china doll on an expiring contract and Stoll is a third line center/min acceptable second liner. You don't keep your job as GM trading your franchise player for Stoll, Harrold and Schenn.

Last edited by Gentle Ben Kenobi: 06-04-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old
06-04-2010, 11:34 AM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
The name of the game in the cap era is bang for the buck and getting the most production for the dollar. Prospects and cheap contracts are more valuable than ever.

If you were the Ottawa GM why would you take the trade you are proposing?
Harrold has little no value and Williams is a china doll on an expiring contract and Stoll is a third line center/min acceptable second liner. You don't keep your job as GM trading your franchise player for Stoll, Harrold and Schenn.
Well i think speeza for 7million is getting bang for your buck. If he was a free agent he would get more on the open market. If he can open up some ice for kopi it would help this team more then u think. Hes a 80 point player not many in the league and im pretty sure most make what he makes.

Next no i proberly wouldnt take just stoll/william harold scheen and a second but I was only useing that as a starting spot. Ottawa is close to the cap so i think more propects would be needed. If i was Ottawas gm i would be looking to try and get something like scheen stoll hickey martin jones and moller ad a frist in 2011 for speeza and a forward propect. The kings have alot of picks still in this years draft( 6 in the frist 3 rounds i think)to fill the roles. If they get speeza they won't need a top 2 line center for a long time.Just my opinion but i think speeza would make the kings a stanley cup contender this year.

Old
06-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Kovalchuk > Spezza

Talk about character issues...He can't handle to media talking about him? Don't need that on our team. I would rather roll the dice with Schenn becoming a #2 center in the NHL and grab Kovalchuk for cash.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 11:50 AM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Kovalchuk > Spezza

Talk about character issues...He can't handle to media talking about him? Don't need that on our team. I would rather roll the dice with Schenn becoming a #2 center in the NHL and grab Kovalchuk for cash.
I was thinking this would only happen after we miss out on kovy and maleau. I personally think kovy goes to the khl ( i can't blame him if its a 10 million a year offer he would be stupid not to) and maleau will proberly resign in sj.

As far a speeza and the media i think being in la that wouldnt be a issue. Lets face it the hockey media in ottawa is alot different then the hockey media in la.

Old
06-04-2010, 12:13 PM
jimmy1100

I'd be all for acquiring Spezza IF we missed out on Marleau/Kovy. BUT the price is going to be steep. The prospects/picks we could easily deal, but Ottawa is going to demand a top roster player in return and I don't think we have one that fits the bill.

I can't see us trading Kopi/Simmonds/Brown/Doughty/Johnson and anyone else isn't enough as far as roster player value going the other way.

Unless Ottawa is going into rebuild mode...but I don't think that's the case.

Now, if Alfredson suddenly retired and Volchenkov was for sure not re-signing, maybe they go into re-build mode. But that's highly unlikely.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I also think Kovalchuk could be had for less than 8M
Unless you're giving him a 10+ year contract, I'm kinda doubting it at this point. He already turned down an offer of 70 mil over 7 years, don't think he's willing to take a 3 million/year discount just to get out of Atlanta.

Even Gaborik got 7.5 million and he was coming off of an another injury riddled season. You'd figure Kovalchuk will fetch more since he's been healthy and teams are probably optimistic that the cap will continue to rise in future years (unlike last year when the cap dropping seemed like a realistic possibility).

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:32 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
There's no reason why we can't have both Kovy and Spezza. Believe me, we can afford both of them. As long as the deal includes one of JW or Stoll, we should be ok cap wise.

Kovy/Smyth-Kopi-Simmonds
Smyth/Kovy-Spezza-Brown

Pretty damn solid 2 lines if you ask me.