HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Off-Season Thread (Discussion of Kovy's rights goes here for now)

Old
06-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Mats26
Cup Champs

vCash: 500
A trade for Spezza: Stoll\Williams\Yound D\Pick (Offset the salaries) and make a pitch for Marleau at 7.5 cap hit. Getting Spezza will make a statement that the Kings are ready to win. Marleau has a history with DL and stays in the area.

We'll Have Kopi\Spezza\Schenn as centers for years to come with Marleau, Brown, Simmonds, Moller,etc as our top 6 wingers. There will be some work on the cap hit but DL can manage that.

Mats26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

vCash: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauspaint View Post
Are you saying above players are better suited for Kings than Parse or you just like them more?
It's more of a preference on my part but I also think that guys like Clifford and Lewis can bring more to the game than Parse. Parse is pretty much one dimensional imo.

Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
You gave Parse, a rookie, 59 games and your already calling him one-dimensional? I hope a rookie doesn't win a spot over him, then we'll have possibly 5 rookies on the team at once. We'll get buttraped. Oh, and the guy was a +13. While getting under 8 minutes a night, how bad defensivly could he have been?

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
It's more of a preference on my part but I also think that guys like Clifford and Lewis can bring more to the game than Parse. Parse is pretty much one dimensional imo.
Remember Roles and Talent

Parse is a pure goal scorer. Let's exaggerate to make a point. Parse is closer to a guy like Palffy that can score goals that players like Smolinski, Allison, Emerson, Belanger, Lapperiere, etc couldn't.

Parse got limited games and ice time and IMO did pretty well for a rookie. I think if Parse got the changes that Purcell did that He would have finished the season with higher numbers.

Lewis to me is likely going to bust. He reminds me too much of other Al Murray picks and the Andy Murray era. Lewis to me is at best a cross between Brad Chartrand and Eric Belanger.

Clifford is going to be a big physical guy that will be closer to Deadmarsh or Brad May is his offense doesn't keep developing. Clifford will be able to get his nose dirty and act more like Dustin Byfuglien in front of the net where someone like Parse or Lewis would be cleared almost instantaneously.

Clifford and Parse are/can be top 6 players(with development). Lewis is a bottom six guy.

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 01:00 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Unless you're giving him a 10+ year contract, I'm kinda doubting it at this point. He already turned down an offer of 70 mil over 7 years, don't think he's willing to take a 3 million/year discount just to get out of Atlanta.

Even Gaborik got 7.5 million and he was coming off of an another injury riddled season. You'd figure Kovalchuk will fetch more since he's been healthy and teams are probably optimistic that the cap will continue to rise in future years (unlike last year when the cap dropping seemed like a realistic possibility).
Yeah I am. We know DL matched Chicago's offer to Hossa, so I know he's willing to pull the trigger on a long term deal structured to bring the CAP hit down.

I think the fact that Kovachuk turned down the Thrasher's offer, proves that he wants more then just money. I think he knows he's not going to get a better deal on the market.

It might be wishful thinking, but I'm hoping for something like this:
12yr / 6.8M (9M 9M 9M 9M 9M 9M 9M 9M 5M 2.5M 1.35M .750M)

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Remember Roles and Talent

Parse is a pure goal scorer. Let's exaggerate to make a point. Parse is closer to a guy like Palffy that can score goals that players like Smolinski, Allison, Emerson, Belanger, Lapperiere, etc couldn't.

Parse got limited games and ice time and IMO did well.

Lewis to me is likely going to bust. He reminds me too much of other Al Murray picks and the Andy Murray era. Lewis to me is at best a cross between Brad Chartrand and Eric Belanger.

Clifford is going to be a big physical guy that will be closer to Deadmarsh or Brad May is his offense doesn't keep developing. Clifford will be able to get his nose dirty and act more like Dustin Byfuglien in front of the net where someone like Parse or Lewis would be cleared almost instantaneously.

Clifford and Parse are/can be top 6 players(with development). Lewis is a bottom six guy.
I disagree with you on Lewis. I can see Lewis replacing Zeus, if we can't afford to re-sign him next season. Lewis is smart, very coachable and has a very good two-way game much like Zeus.

I know Parse is a good player so, I'm not disputing that. If he could add a physical dimension to his game, then I'd be all for it but he's pretty much just a scorer. In any case, if he cracks our top 9, he should do well.

Old
06-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Brad Doty
System Goalie

vCash: 250
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'm the only one who thinks Lewis is marshmallow soft? He's got the skills to be in the NHL, imo, but the guy is soft on the puck and gets dropped easier than Moller...only he doesn't get back up nearly as energetically.

I hope he's developed a bit in that regard, because I like the kid and I agree with RH's thoughts on his game, but if he can't win puck battles...

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 01:38 PM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats26 View Post
A trade for Spezza: Stoll\Williams\Yound D\Pick (Offset the salaries) and make a pitch for Marleau at 7.5 cap hit. Getting Spezza will make a statement that the Kings are ready to win. Marleau has a history with DL and stays in the area.

We'll Have Kopi\Spezza\Schenn as centers for years to come with Marleau, Brown, Simmonds, Moller,etc as our top 6 wingers. There will be some work on the cap hit but DL can manage that.
You need to seriously look at cap numbers before posting something like this. Just off the top of my head -

Kopitar 6.something
Marleau 7.5
Spezza 7.0

THat's $20+ million in 3 players.

Marleau OR Kovy OR Spezza = Yes
Any combination of the two = CAP HELL!!!

EDIT: OK, not horribly bad, but acquiring two of those means that at least three of Williams/Handzus/Stoll/Smyth would have to be gone immediately.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Dave33
Still smiling

Spezza? Puhlease. With his current issues, you think he's a DL guy? Ott has had a ton of talent for years without winning anything, totally contrary to the culture DL is trying to build. Kovi, 3/4 dman, couple rooks make the team and Kings are contenders.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:26 PM
lumbergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I haven't seen enough of Clifford or Lewis, but Parse is not one dimensional. During the limited minutes he did get, he was making a lot of SMART little hockey plays. Subtle things that help the team get out of the defensive zone along the half-wall. Helping out down low when needed. Not only can he score, but he has hockey smarts.

A lot of people poo-poo the +/- stat, but it's no coincidence that Parse had a +13 in 59 games.

His problem this season was inconsistency. When he can put together a solid effort week in and week out, he'll be a regular.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:27 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Speaking of hockey smarts.....I had a dream that we signed Randy Jones for 2 years...

I also dreamt last year that Peter Harrold scored the Kings' 1st goal of the season....so, don't be worried.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Speaking of hockey smarts.....I had a dream that we signed Randy Jones for 2 years...

I also dreamt last year that Peter Harrold scored the Kings' 1st goal of the season....so, don't be worried.
Wouldn't be a nightmare for me... Jones played fine in the early (less pressured part of the season) and he'll have more time to gel with the team and structure this year. His team mates and coaches like him - so he makes a great 6 or 7. Same with Harrold. Either can always be moved if needed.

Winning teams always have guys like this in the organization. They're the guys who score one or two game changing goals late in the season or playoffs and everybody says, "grinder goals win".

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 03:01 PM
DeeMeck

"Jones scores a grinder-type goal" will never be uttered by Bob or Jim.

Old
06-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Wouldn't be a nightmare for me... Jones played fine in the early (less pressured part of the season) and he'll have more time to gel with the team and structure this year. His team mates and coaches like him - so he makes a great 6 or 7. Same with Harrold. Either can always be moved if needed.
Great, just what we need, a player who disappears and panics in pressure situations. He would also be overused by Murray again, he just can't help play him in key situations. Lombardi must keep this player away from Murray.

Jones in a Kings uniform again should be everyone's nightmare.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Brad Doty
System Goalie

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Great, just what we need, a player who disappears and panics in pressure situations. He would also be overused by Murray again, he just can't help play him in key situations. Lombardi must keep this player away from Murray.

Jones in a Kings uniform again should be everyone's nightmare.

I think that's the problem. I think very few people would have an issue with Jones as a 6/7/8/50. The problem is Murray thinks he's the second coming of Doughty.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Mats26
Cup Champs

Check with Cap Geek the numbers add up like I thought they would:

FORWARDS
* Marleau ($7.500m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Ryan Smyth ($6.250m) / * Spezza ($7.000m) / Wayne Simmonds ($0.822m)
* Fredrik Modin ($2.000m) / Michal Handzus ($4.000m) / Scott Parse ($0.900m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.900m) / * Brad Richardson ($1.500m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)

DEFENSEMEN
Drew Doughty ($3.475m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.400m)
Matt Greene ($2.950m) / Jack Johnson ($1.425m)
Vyacheslav Voinov ($0.846m) / Davis Drewiske ($0.617m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) / Jonathan Bernier ($0.843m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)

ROSTER: 20; CAP:$56.8m; PAYROLL: $57.394m; CAP ROOM: $2.381m BONUSES: $2.975m

Next year Handzus is gone(replaced by Schenn).Year after Smyth(Replaced by Moller). 10 million in two years freed to add to Doughty, JJ and Simmonds etc... Stoll and Williams are gone in the trade. You want to win or just spin our wheels? We still have plenty of young players that can play the filler roles for cheap.

Old
06-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Mats26
Cup Champs

Adding Marleau and Spezza on this team will make us a better 5-5 team and cup contenders.

Old
06-04-2010, 04:27 PM
DeeMeck

Sometimes heart and grit are more valuable than a talented playmaker who doesn't do much else.

I would be highly disappointed if Stoill and Willie were moved for Spezza.

Old
06-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Mats26
Cup Champs

Williams is finished, Stoll and Handzus need to go anyways to make room for Schenn\Spezza, A yound D in the trade will clinch it and the Pick, we got many of those. I would do it. Grit, there are 10 guys in the line up with that.

Old
06-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Ollie Weeks

We need Zeus more than we need Spezza. You can take that to the bank.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

I think that the Spezza idea is simply awful (no offense). I have ties to the 67's and due to that have always followed the Sens somewhat. Including watching the lamest most humiliating franchise opening first game of the season of all time. Remember the figure skaters in toga's running around with torches? It was absolutely the most lamoriffic thing that I have ever seen in my life.

That said, I was a huge Spezza fan when he was drafted and have followed his mostly average career somewhat closely and I have to say that he is exactly the opposite of what we need.

He is pretty good but he just doesn't play with the kind of heart or intensity that you want out of a player like him. Tons of skills but not much if any of the drive. No thanks.

I am also really against building our team via ufa's. Getting one or two here or there is fine if we are too far off from filling an opening from within (Scuds is a good example) but to go out and completely change our team chemistry by adding 3 of our top nine and at such a huge expense doesn't make me think that we will instantly be a winner.

It makes me think that we will instantly be the west coast version of the Rags and that would be terrible.

Add to fill our specific need, we have nobody in our system who is an elite level sniper, we need one.

Who is debatable but other than that, we have too many solid young players to go changing team chemistry in my opinion.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Mats26
Cup Champs

Williams is not part of our core and Stoll should be playing the 3rd centermen role.
These guys can be replaced without breaking the team's chemistry.

It is one UFA; Marleau, we traded for Spezza. The core is intact and we replace: Stoll\Williams With Spezza and Marleau. Huge upgrades in both position long term.
This team needs goal scorers. Think of how Kopitar will explode when Marleau\Spezza will attract the other teams' first shutdown line. Spezza\Marleau will also put up some good numbers. Next year Handzus is replaced by Schenn at the 3rd C slot.

Old
06-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Stoll & Williams for Spezza????

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

Schenn, JW and Voynov for Spezza would work for me.

Old
06-04-2010, 08:13 PM
BringTheReign

Moller has a 3.5 million dollar cap hit? I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to contracts and salary cap issues, but how is that possible?

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote