HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Canucks are proud to select...

View Poll Results: And the Canucks select...
Jarred Tinordi 57 28.08%
Kirill Kabanov 48 23.65%
Jordan Weal 1 0.49%
Beau Bennet 12 5.91%
Riley Sheahan 10 4.93%
Dylan McIlrath 35 17.24%
Tyler Tofolli 4 1.97%
Jaden Schwartz 4 1.97%
Jeff Skinner 24 11.82%
Alexander Petrovic 8 3.94%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Kearns
Bo Knows Hockey

vCash: 500
The Canucks are proud to select...

With the 25th overall selection in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, the Vancouver Canucks are proud to select...

I'd like to see the 'nucks take, in priority order:

Kirill Kabanov
There is a good chance this kid falls because of his train-wreck season, but by all accounts he's a high end talent. In my mind, you have to swing for the home run at #25.

Riley Sheahan
Possible Kesler clone here; this kid has character, nevermind what you read. If he slides this far, I would love to see us take him.

Jarred Tinordi
Projects as the crease cleaner the Canucks lack (too bad he's years away). Good bloodlines, fair skater for a big man.

Dylan McIlrath
He will play in the NHL; it only remains to be seen what kind of role he can fill. Is it too early to take a goon? Many think he can play.

Beau Bennet
BCHL phenom is untested against the best of his age group, but has size, speed and talent.

What do you think? Who would you like to see pull on the Canuck Jersey in LA later this month? Discuss.

Kearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearns View Post
What do you think? Who would you like to see pull on the Canuck Jersey in LA later this month? Discuss.
Well, I would like to see them trade that pick for two 2nd round picks.

But if not, I would like them to pick a d-man. Maybe Tinordi, maybe McIlrath.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Meganuck*

There's a draft thread!

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:28 PM
PRNuck

My current man-crush shortlist is about the same as what you have there, except for Sheahan. And maybe add the other U18 american defenseman (not Forbort, but....I'm spacing on his name), if he lasts that long.

If he trades back a little I like the defenseman out of Portland, Rutkowski I think is his name.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Really subjective question given that some names could fall and other teams could make off the board picks. But based on who's expected to be available, I'd rank mine in this order...

1.) Jarred Tinordi
- Big, smooth skating defensemen with leadership abilities(Captained both USNTDP and U18 Gold medal team). Also is apparently very composed and calm.

2.) Riley Sheahan
- I love hearing about forwards who have a complete game. He reminds me very much of Ryan Kesler in his draft year; very strong defensive game, knows how to play without the puck, and was one of the youngest players in the NCAA this year.

3.) Calle Jarnkrok
Oozes natural talent, and there's something to be said for a potential chemisry factor with Rodin. Also, there's the fact that the Canucks have a pretty good track record for drafting out of Sweden.

4.) Dylan McIlrath
Size and toughness, and he had a pretty hot finish to the regular season this year. Could be Lucic...or McAllister. Definitely high-risk, high-reward, but how often have we lamented safe choices as Canuck fans?

5.) Jordan Weal
- Maybe his numbers are a slight by product of playing with Jordan Eberle, but the guy's got talent in spades and he competes like a mad man. Very small, but tons of talent and heart...sounds a bit like a Cliff Ronning type to me.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

I would like to try our luck with Kirill Kabanov.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
There's a draft thread!
I'm going to let this one stand as more of a poll/opinion thread on who you want to see the Canucks draft.

For the moment, anyway...if it turns into general draft talk, I reserve the right to merge the two.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Rey

Draft for talent. Being Physical, is not talent. Do not draft Dylan McIlrath. He's only ranked up because his toughness stands out..there's several of decent physical defense man past the 1st round. Draft for value. I would support picking Kabanov if he is available. Jon Merrill has more talent than McIlrath. Consider a skilled player like Jeffrey Skinner, perhaps, albeit i never liked McFarland. Draft him for talent. High risk high reward players. The safe pick "good at everything, not great or bad" often turns into a 3rd/4th liner or a bottom six pick because nothing stands out. You can sign those positions with ease.

Go get a 2nd round pick and pick Tyler Tofolli, arguably the best shooter in the draft and a natural goal scorer that needs to work on his speed. Draft guys like Martin Marincin, Teemu Pulkkinen with high end potential in the later rounds.

Last edited by Rey: 06-02-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Without seeing these guys play much, if at all...

I like the sounds of Tinordi. With that size, reach, skating ability and hockey sense you would think he's a safe bet to at least play in the NHL. I also put stock into bloodlines and think it makes him a bit safer pick as well. The fact he's a somewhat safe pick with the tools to possibly be more I don't know if I could pass up on this guy. Unfortunately I think he'll go much earlier in the draft than predicted and be long gone by the time the 25th pick rolls around.

If Thomas Gradin is adament on taking Jarnkrok I wouldn't stand in his way...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:51 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
There's a draft thread!
OMG an extra thread!! Heavens no!!

I'm taking the summer off. Cya on draft day and a bit during free agency period, folks.

BTW, my wishlist is simply a D-man. McIlrath, Tinordi, Forbort, Merill etc. (if some of those guys fall to us). What I'd love is for Gillis to put together a package for a high pick but I doubt that happens.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:19 PM
windflare

I keep forgetting Weal.

He's a great talent.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Kagee*

Merrill would be nice.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:25 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

I don't know much outside of the high end guys, but I can't believe Jeff Skinner is sliding out of the top 10 in some mock drafts.

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Kearns
Bo Knows Hockey

How the %$#% do you throw up a poll? I'm a 'tard.

I think a poll would fit well.

Kearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:28 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

God... Kabanov is soooooooooooooo good.... but sooooooo much like Zherdev.... gah... that's a tough call... at 25 i'd have to take him, he has too much talent... it would be like passing on Schroeder last year at 22.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Canucker

I think Skinner is a no-brainer there. Some are projecting him to go top 10, top 15 for sure.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:49 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I think Skinner is a no-brainer there. Some are projecting him to go top 10, top 15 for sure.
Skinner is rated 9th by ISS... there's no way he goes 25th...

Kabanov is rated 31st now... i'd argue Kabanov is a more talented player.

Granted major headcase *sigh* but to get a top scorer at 25th would be fantastic.

Old
06-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

I'd take a risk on a headcase teenager if his on ice decision making is fine. Character issues can be fixed with the right enviroment.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:56 PM
windflare

It's hard to argue with 50 goals on the season, and then a goal-per-game pace in the OHL as a 17 year old.

He's not dropping out of the top 10. And it's hard to argue that Kabanov is more talented than he is.

Old
06-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Warren Piece

Howdon is the dream at 25. Big, fast and put up point per game numbers with little support. Could easily be gone before we get to pick though.

Etem - Another player who is likely drafted before we get the chance, but would be a nice fit for us. Very determined and a great goal scorer, at 14 he created a path to the NHL for himself and has followed it to a T so far.

Merrill - 6'3 skilled defenceman who finished the season strong and had a good U18 tournament.

Jarnkrok - Linemate of Rodin's at Brynas where they developed some nice chemistry. Grew an inch or so last season and a very smart and skilled playmaker. Plus his name translates to iron hook.

Galiev - Hard working skilled Russian who is committed to North America. Plays for Saint John with Anthony and Sauve.

Sheahan - Two-way center with good speed. May have jeopardized his college career with his arrest, but Erie is a terrific back up.

Bjugstad - Drafting players from high school is risky, but Bjugstad might be worth it. Huge two way center set to play for our favourite school, the University of Minnesota.

Rutkowski - Talented and good hockey IQ, but inconsistent and his conditioning is a problem. Risky, but has more two way potential than most of the defencemen available this late.

Tinordi - Huge, good skater and a character player. I don't like drafting one dimensional players early on though and I'm not convinced he has much offensive upside.

Pulkkinen - One of the best goal scorers available, but had injury troubles this season. Dominant against players his own age, but struggled when playing against men.

I'm not to familiar with the later round players, but I hope Gallagher is available in the 4th. Undersized, but plays an aggressive game and put up terrific numbers.

Warren Piece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Rey

I would stay away from Etem, albeit you're right about him probably being drafted earlier. This kid is all speed, no creativity at all. People question his hockey sense. Sure, he has potential to be good but I'm confident he'll piss you off more than anything. So much speed, leads you to expect more. He doesn't know how to play defense either, but well...he should..be able to be taught. Surprised, no one mentioned Kevin Sundher but better off picking Sundher in the late rounds, then Etem in the 1st if you want speed. Not as fast, but fast enough.

Scouts, apparently say that Brock Nelson could be better than Bjugstad.

Last edited by Rey: 06-02-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 07:16 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

Jaden Schwartz if he is still there.

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 07:19 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

I forgot about Galiev, 6'5 center who has decent skill and hands played with Sauve and Anthony last season in Saint John's... he's no Kabanov though.

Old
06-02-2010, 07:31 PM
God
Free Citizen

Well, Jeff Skinner's gonna drop like a rock because Schroeder did.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 07:44 PM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Well, Jeff Skinner's gonna drop like a rock because Schroeder did.
Obviously.