HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stinky gloves... how to keep fresh?

Old
05-25-2010, 02:26 PM
ipushmycar

vCash: 500
Stinky gloves... how to keep fresh?

I've been using the "Warrior Hitman" gloves for about 3 months now. They smell to high hell, are stiff as a board, uncomfortable... and smell like death.

How do you keep your gloves (and other equipment) clean and fresh? I always let my gloves air out after use, yet even after washing my hands over and over, a subtle stench sticks with my fingers- all day everyday. I realize that these gloves are terrible gloves to begin with- and I plan on upgrading today.

So, for my next pair... how do I keep them clean, soft, and pleasently smelling?

ipushmycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Look for gloves that have an antimicrobial silver lining. Some Bauers have this, as do the top end Warriors and I believe some TPS as well.

After every game, take them out of the bag and let them dry out. Spray with an alcohol/water mixture (50:50 is about right).

If they palms get hard and crusty, get some shaving cream with lanolin and rub it into the palms. I also put rub some on my hands like lotion and put on the gloves, working it in. Just let them air dry, don't rinse.

Otherwise, not much else to do. You may just have the misfortune of having stinky sweat like I do. I wash them every few months, dry out well, put the lanolin cream on them, and spray them every game and they still stink, just nowhere near as bad.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:12 PM
hoonking

I just got this stuff called Funk Free, just put it on my gloves and I shall see how they smell in an hour. Chadd on MSH seems to like the product, as do many other people. Its supposed to remove the bacteria and salt from the sweat and keep your gear fresh. The website also claims that it helps keep your gloves softer, longer.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 03:27 PM
densetsu

In addition to drying them out ASAP, air flow for quicker drying seems to keep them in better shape. My gloves stunk a lot less the years I had a fan going to help them dry out.

There's any number of spray mixtures that can help keep stink away. Alcohol/water has been mentioned and is pretty inexpensive.

If your gloves get crusty, rub in some shaving cream with lanolin to soften them up.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonking View Post
I just got this stuff called Funk Free, just put it on my gloves and I shall see how they smell in an hour. Chadd on MSH seems to like the product, as do many other people. Its supposed to remove the bacteria and salt from the sweat and keep your gear fresh. The website also claims that it helps keep your gloves softer, longer.
Interesting, that's pretty cool. I'll keep it in mind ....

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:09 AM
hoonking

Well, here are the results. I sprayed a little bit on the palms and on the inside of the glove, and even though they weren't wretched to begin with, they are now odorless. I even had my mom smell 'em and she said they were great.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:53 PM
jbennardo

As much as I try to air out my gear, I can't shake the stink. I've just learned to embrace it. My wife isn't there yet.

jbennardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

I get wet dreams of Stanley wallowing in my stink at night. I love it.

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:23 PM
TinofGrizz

Check out the new Winnwell glove. I know they haven't been around in a while but they are back and not messing around...

http://www.hockey.us/adult-hockey-gl...0-p191461.html

The G-Lite glove has a new anti-bacterial material in it that Nike has also licensed to use in their dri-fit clothing line. Its called cleansport NXT. I am not 100% sure how it works but it is sweat/odor activated and just KILLS odor.

I was a little skeptical at first as well but believe me this stuff is no joke. Just from being in the biz years ago I am still friends with a lot of the reps in the area, and was lucky enough to check these out about a month ago.

I don't know if anyone on here has ever smelled fox piss, but it is the most VILE smelling thing on the planet, most local hardware stores will sell it so people can put it near their garden to keep deer and other animals away from their plants. He actually poured fox piss on the glove, not a small amount either, I was literally gagging at the smell of this stuff, and then put the glove in a bag for 5 minutes. After taking the glove out of the bag it smelled like a brand new, right of the shelf glove.

Like I said I am not really sure how this stuff works but I know that it does!

TinofGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Johnny Law

You can always hit your gear with an ozone clean and that will 100% defunk it. Lots of shops have the equipment know and you can get everything done which is awesome if you have a pair of pants you really like.

Johnny Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 05:31 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I air dry mine out on the top of a couple old sticks. The next day I take a couple of those Clorox Green Works wipes and wipe those on the inside of the gloves. I kind of wrap them around my finger and then push them up into the fingers of the gloves. These things work really good and I use the green works ones b/c they use natural plant stuff to kill bacteria rather then chemicals. I don't want chemicals all over my skin. I actually use these wipes on most of my equipment and it is a pretty cheap option compared to the hockey specific stuff at the LHS.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:33 PM
2faded

I have the same problem. I have the Warrior Franchise gloves, and they smell pretty bad. This is not a problem for me though, i really dont care how bad my equip smells, its only a problem for other people

But what i do have a problem with, is that after playing i can wash my hands 500 times and they will still stink for a day or two. I always aired them out, now i Febreeze them then air them out. Not much difference. I have heard that the shaving cream trick works, as well as softening them. I havent tried it yet though. Guess ill try it soon.

Oh ya, its only my top hand that smells after washing.

2faded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:48 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 588
I try to use hand sanitizer every time I put on my gloves but if I forget or lazy a few time in a row my gloves start to stick fast. I've been using these RBK gloves for 2 years and the palms are still soft. I got them cheep because they are Manitoba Moose green (pro return) I think that are RBK 588s.

I'm thinking of getting Winnwell pro-stock with the anti stink crap in the lining.
http://www.hockeygiant.com/winpstglvsr.html

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 04:25 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I usually Febreze them and let them air out, unfortunately, it makes the insides stiff.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 10:10 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 588
O poop I left my closed bag in the back of the jeep speaking of stink.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 12:07 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipushmycar View Post
I've been using the "Warrior Hitman" gloves for about 3 months now. They smell to high hell, are stiff as a board, uncomfortable... and smell like death.

How do you keep your gloves (and other equipment) clean and fresh? I always let my gloves air out after use, yet even after washing my hands over and over, a subtle stench sticks with my fingers- all day everyday. I realize that these gloves are terrible gloves to begin with- and I plan on upgrading today.

So, for my next pair... how do I keep them clean, soft, and pleasently smelling?
Try this: http://www.passthepuck.net/coolsites/id858.htm

There is a code on that page to get a discount when you buy...or not!

Head Coach

05-31-2010, 12:41 PM
umwoz

Shaving cream trick absolutely works. But, shaving cream isn't exactly cheap these days.

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 06:35 PM
ryangib

i simply just fill my bathtub with hot water and bleach and stir them around with an old broken stick.

ryangib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 06:55 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I air my gear out and spray it down with Febreze antimicrobial. They just came out with Febreze Sport, which contains alcohol so it should be pretty good at killing odor and bacteria. If your gloves get stiff try spraying the outer palm about an hour before you play, they should be nice and moist and won't smell, depends on what you prefer as far as wet or dry gloves though.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Pittsburgh Proud

My gloves stay wet. Just the way I like em.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Faryn

febreze works but what I found to work the best is car freshners the little tree ones if you dont mind smelling like a taxi these worked the best for me.

Faryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:50 PM
kickassdrummer

I spray my gloves inside and out after every game with a 70/30 mixture of alcohol and water. I then put a dryer sheet inside to help wick the moisture and replace any remaining foul scent with a pleasant smell. In fact, I use dryer sheets in each pocket of my equipment bag for the same reason.

kickassdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Pog Form

Ugh, gross. Throw them in the washing machine a few times. The gloves might break down a tiny bit, but who cares. It's better than walking around your office/school/whatever stinking like hockey. After you've washed them, let them dry out. Thoroughly. That means lots of air. Put a fan on them if you can. After you've done that and start using them again, make sure you air them out immediately after every skate, no exceptions. Use an alcohol/water spray on them before you leave them to dry. That will kill any grossness and will prevent the smell from coming back.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Ducks

Cheap vodka in a spray bottle. 2 sprays in the gloves, one in the mouth. Works on pretty much all your gear, and your wife looks better after every game.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:30 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It's always funny that gloves smell worse than anything else. If I'm practicing stickhandling or shooting and I do it with my gloves (if I'm not playing a game), I'll go and put plastic food handling gloves over my hands so that the stink doesn't transfer to my hands . That smell is hard to get off. Sometimes even after showering there's still a light stench remaining.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote