HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LA Other Sports Thread

Old
06-18-2010, 01:39 PM
ShattStar03

vCash: 500
It's funny how Lakers fans saying that its not them causing all the riots and belligerence but when you look at the crowd they're all wearing Laker jerseys, flags, scarfs etc, they sure look like Lakers fans.. Pathetic.. I'm tired of everyone defending these people.

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I am a Raider fan,
RUN!!!!!

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
RUN!!!!!
He has a knife and chainmail!

If Kings fans ever look like this, I'll denounce my fandom:

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I don't think the cops were looking the other way. They were everywhere and very active. They were much more prepared this year. I believe they shutdown a lot of the streets near Staples (at least that is what they told me at work). The problem is people still congregated around the outerlying areas. Everything was fine for the first hour or so (at least that is what it seemed on the news and their interviews of people coming from the game/celebration). It was as time went on and they started pushing the people further away that they started doing stuff. They were putting out fires as soon as they were lit and people were scattering. I mean you can't expect the police to just start firing rubber bullets a la May Day Melee.

This article says there were 38 arrests total.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...rticle-7504897

The article also says Flower and 6th stree was a hot spot. I can tell you that is false. I work on Flower and 6th Street. These are office buildings and that is about 7 or 8 blocks north of Staples.
I watched it happen on the news last night, that was the hot spot. They walked up that way and walked into the street and started damaging cars and buses. One bus had to rear end the car in front of it to keep them from rolling the bus over.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 02:52 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I don't think the cops were looking the other way. They were everywhere and very active. They were much more prepared this year. I believe they shutdown a lot of the streets near Staples (at least that is what they told me at work). The problem is people still congregated around the outerlying areas. Everything was fine for the first hour or so (at least that is what it seemed on the news and their interviews of people coming from the game/celebration). It was as time went on and they started pushing the people further away that they started doing stuff. They were putting out fires as soon as they were lit and people were scattering. I mean you can't expect the police to just start firing rubber bullets a la May Day Melee.

This article says there were 38 arrests total.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...rticle-7504897

The article also says Flower and 6th stree was a hot spot. I can tell you that is false. I work on Flower and 6th Street. These are office buildings and that is about 7 or 8 blocks north of Staples.
Thanks for the info. Just sounds like they might need more cops then, but it kind of gets ridiculous at some point doesn't it. The cops can't be everywhere.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 03:07 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
He has a knife and chainmail!

If Kings fans ever look like this, I'll denounce my fandom:

I dunno, the costumes tend to be the only things I like about the Raiders.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Jackson will return to Lakers

Quote:
The idea of his fourth three-peat must have been too much for Phil Jackson to pass up.

The Los Angeles Lakers coach told the team on Thursday that he will return for his 11th season on the bench.
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=5346690

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
The Lakers must win the title next season. I think Phil's health situation isn't good, regardless of what he or others say. The Lakers must win it for him and end his career right.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 01:11 AM
no name

NY Times just reported on an audit on the Dodgers:

The Los Angeles Dodgers paid one of their highest-ranking executives more than $400,000 from the team’s charity in 2007, which accounted for one-quarter of the foundation’s nearly $1.6 million budget that year — compensation more in line with overseeing a $100 million charity.

Charity fraud. Nothing suprises me about these f'ers anymore.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 01:17 AM
no name

Oh btw, they officially punted the Lee pick. Lee told his local news source that he told the Dodgers he would not sign with them before the draft and that he has not had any negotiations with the Dodgers, nor will he.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 02:49 AM
GuyFawkes121

CP3 to lakers?

I dunno if anyone cares but i found this amazing could you imagine this the new "Big Three" would get a slap to the face hard. enjoy http://thelakersnation.com/blog/2010...-destinations/

GuyFawkes121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:16 AM
BringTheReign

They all need to see what MJ said about them. He hit the nail right on the head. Professional sports are about competition, not trying to assemble an all-star team. I hope the Lakers (without CP) stomp all over the Heat this season.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:27 AM
The VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
That would be awesome but I don't see it happening. I'd imagine they'd try and trade him to the Knicks or Magic first.

The VEGASKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:26 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheReign View Post
They all need to see what MJ said about them. He hit the nail right on the head. Professional sports are about competition, not trying to assemble an all-star team. I hope the Lakers (without CP) stomp all over the Heat this season.
That doesn't make any sense. I thought the goal of professional sports was to, you know, win.

And the Bulls were practically an All-Star team.

Old
07-22-2010, 04:53 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
That doesn't make any sense. I thought the goal of professional sports was to, you know, win.

Yeah, right.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 05:10 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Yeah, right.
Yeah, I am right and it feels good. I highly doubt MJ was all about the competition and thrill of just the sport. The man wanted to win and he did.

Old
07-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Dave33
Still smiling

My enjoyment of bball has waned greatly over the years but cp3 is one of the few I still enjoy watching. I don't see how this could possibly go down but man I would be ecstatic.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Ok I don't watch basketball often and I clicked on this thread anyway. Since I am here, can somebody tell me who CP3 is?

Old
07-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Non-starter.

Lakers don't have the money to offer Paul a contract and a sign-and-trade doesn't work because the Lakers have no one that they want to trade for him.

Point guards generally are not needed in a triangle offense, and Kobe brings the ball up anyway.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:09 AM
BringTheReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post

If you look at it from one team's perspective, yes, but the entirety of professional sports aims at bringing the world's best athletes together for intense competition. That competition is why we watch! If there were 2 or 3 teams that just killed everyone, it would get boring and predictable. If a few teams kept all the stars, the competition drops and the league is no longer entertaining. Sure, every once in awhile a team has more stars than others, but the "Big Three" is just ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned, basketball has lost too much of its competition already. The last few years it's been the same few teams, and now it's even worse.

MJ said he loved the competition. He loved to compete with Larry and Magic night-in and night-out. Can you imagine how boring basketball would have been if MJ, Magic, and Bird all played on the same team by choice? No intense rivalries, no epic finals, no competition.

Last edited by BringTheReign: 07-22-2010 at 11:16 AM.
BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Haik

The only way this could happen is if he takes a huge cut in pay.

Haik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
I know he's bright golden and is fluent in over 6 million languages but how is a robot supposed to play basketball?

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Looks like the Sparks already got her...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candace_Parker

Old
07-22-2010, 11:50 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheReign View Post
If you look at it from one team's perspective, yes, but the entirety of professional sports aims at bringing the world's best athletes together for intense competition. That competition is why we watch! If there were 2 or 3 teams that just killed everyone, it would get boring and predictable. If a few teams kept all the stars, the competition drops and the league is no longer entertaining. Sure, every once in awhile a team has more stars than others, but the "Big Three" is just ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned, basketball has lost too much of its competition already. The last few years it's been the same few teams, and now it's even worse.

MJ said he loved the competition. He loved to compete with Larry and Magic night-in and night-out. Can you imagine how boring basketball would have been if MJ, Magic, and Bird all played on the same team by choice? No intense rivalries, no epic finals, no competition.

Joe Montana claimed sports were about learning how to win and lose gracefully in life.

Old
07-22-2010, 11:50 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Yeah, right.
... During their second three-peat, the Bulls had three Hall of Famers: Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and Dennis Rodman. So, any lip service that Jordan gives about how the object is to somehow NOT assemble an All-Star team is just that -- lip service.

Several championship teams had a big three:

80s Celtics (Bird, McHale, Parish) - 3 titles
90s Bulls (Jordan, Pippen, Rodman) - 3 titles
80s Lakers (Magic, Worthy, Kareem) - 5 titles
80s Sixers (Dr. J, Moses Malone, Maurice Cheeks) - 1 title
00s Celtics (Garnett, Pierce, Allen) - 1 title
80s Pistons (Thomas, Dumars, Dantley) - 2 titles

Fully half of the 30 champion teams since 1980 have been built with three players who each have been All-Stars at least four times.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote