HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > HFNHL Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
HFNHL Talk HFNHL is a full-simulation fantasy league that uses the FHL simulator to determine the outcome of games over a full 82-game season.

HFSN Article ~~ Canucks v Panthers for years to come?

Old
06-02-2010, 08:28 PM
VinVisser

vCash: 500
HFSN Article ~~ Canucks v Panthers for years to come?

Sean Keogh spent 8 long years and suffered through several playoff disasters and last gasp failures but in the end it's all worth it, he's won the Stanley Cup, even if it hasn't even sunk in. "[It feels]... roughly how you think it feels. I am not entirely sure it has hit me though," commented the victorious GM as he sidestepped a group of downtrodden Panthers fans in an attempt to evade this reporter.

Keogh can't escape me, nor has he escaped plenty of other controversy - mostly the incident caught on camera when the Canucks were last in the BankAtlantic Center, after game 4, when the Panthers tied the series. The footage, which has sadly been culled from YouTube, shows the young GM throwing aside a copy of the HFSN Draft Guide, and grinding the cover photo, an image of rival Brock Otten, into the concrete, screaming "douch,ebag! - That was MY cover!"

But Otten, gracious as ever, lets Mr. Keogh off the hook. "I think [he] was just angry that his team wasn't able to generate any intensity away from Vancouver." When pushed a little further though, the truth came out. Otten was drunk. "We talked about it and he bought me a bottle of Courvoisier to apologize," slurred Otten, "I enjoyed it thoroughly, [and] I refused to share it with him. Naturally I felt it was the "douch,ebag" thing to do." Quite Right.

The road to this years title win is littered with teams drowning in the Canucks wake. Amongst those was the Calgary Flames, a team that Keogh thought would do well. "That [win] was the biggest surprise of the playoffs. Even the games that went to OT were games we probably should have won, but we really thought the Flames had every bit as much of a chance to win the Cup as [the Canucks]"

The Flames just caught the Canucks at the wrong time. Keogh openly admits that it was the series victory against the Dallas Stars that set them up for the Conference Final. "[it] was an important lesson for our coaching staff," said the GM as he made for the private jet waiting to ferry his team back to Canada, "We tried a number of different strategy settings and almost over-coached ourselves into the off-season."

But as difficult as the Stars and Panthers were, Keogh was quick to dismiss the challenge of the St. Louis Blues in the first round, stating that they were not the biggest challenge his team faced. He did save that respect for the Panthers. "The Blues are probably every bit as strong a team, but when you're talking about the finals, you have two teams coming in who are by definition playing their best. A team who has build up that momentum is always going to be the biggest challenge."

And so it proved to be for the Panthers. The Canucks just had too much momentum. "I'd be crazy to say I wasn't disappointed," said the disappointed Otten. But that disappointment is tempered by a view to the bigger picture. "I am satisfied with how my team progressed this year and how far my run in the playoffs lasted. This is only the tip of the iceberg."

Otten feels the team overcame the jinx that had stopped the team from ever progressing in the playoffs beyond the first round. And along the way beat some good teams. "No offense to Boston or the Islanders, but I think the Buffalo Sabres were one of the best teams in the HFNHL this year. Defeating them in round 2 was a HUGE victory..."

As both teams go forward into the off-season they are looking at making changes. Keogh was cagey, denying that he'd tried to move Bieksa to the Penguins, only to be denied. "I'll probably [make big changes]. Everybody realizes we have to cut some salary."

Otten on the other hand is making changes on his blueline, where he feels Mark Streit, Andrei Markov and Brian Campbell were subpar. Look for one of them to be moved. He's going to look to add some physicality to combat the Canucks superiority in this area. A second line Center is also key. He warns other teams that this should be a busy offseason as Otten tries to win more than the Eastern Conference.

As Keogh boarded the jet, we asked who he wanted to win the Conn Smythe, but after he mentioned the names of eight players we stopped writing them down. He didn't mention hot favourite Martin Brodeur however. Could Marty's last act in Vancouver be winning the Cup?

And so, Keogh might have been running from Sunrise, and Otten might be stumbling his way around that Florida town, drunk on success and Keogh's apology, but the sun is rising on two potential dynasties.

EXTRA EXTRA

HFSN caught up with Atlanta Thrashers GM Ryan Archer, to inquire about rumours that he's scooped other GM's to claim Marc-Andre Fleury and Simon Gagne already. Archer was quick to deny the trades, stating that he's waiting for the league to finish it's work on approving any deals before going public. But Archer was only too happy to answer some questions when in exchange for a date with one of my colleague Ken McRoberts daughters.

"The Thrashers have been in the gutter for many years after the previous GM sold his soul (youth) to the devil in order to win the cup. He won it but paid a great cost. I have toiled at the bottom for several years and it is time to repay the fans with playoff hopes," said the GM as he copied a phone number from my Droid phone.

"With Stamkos and Doughty coming off amazing years, and perhaps the two players you mention added to the mix, with secondary scoring from Voracek and hopefully a few free agents, I think the team has what it takes to take advantage of a weak division."

Responding to the allegation that he's moved the 2nd overall pick in one of the deals, Archer replied "I think it is going to be tough to watch those two (Hall & Sequin) turn into stars but I do have my share of young superstars and they are already on the path to development... It is hard to find a goaltender that young that and with that much [NHL] hardware. I have been known to take risks, for instance dealing Traveres last year for Doughty. I think that paid off, hopefully this deal pays off too. That is of course if it gets approved."

And for that approval - we all wait anxiously.

Vin Visser twitters with Ken McRoberts at www.twitter.com/hfnhl or www.hfnhl.com/hfsn

VIN VISSER

An integral part of the HFNHL for several years as the HF Faceoff correspondent, Visser is a former NCAA water boy in Water Polo, and was a long time reporter for the Minnesota Fake Gazette in his native State. He is the former publisher of the BlueDotReport, a comprehensive figure skating prospect guide.

As the Yang to Ken McRoberts Ying, Visser is the only sportscaster in fantasy history, male or female, to cover the entire HFNHL logo with just one thumb. As part of HFSN’s comprehensive lying, he files stories that belie belief.

A pioneer in fantasy tweeting, Visser joined the HFSN after several months sitting on the sidelines at New York Jets games demanding his lawyers take the ‘Sprygate’ case, in which he accuses the Jets of not hiring him as a water boy because of his age, to the Supreme Court.

Visser is single, likes coconut pies and long walks around Showmen’s Rest Cemetery.

Last edited by VinVisser: 06-02-2010 at 08:43 PM.
VinVisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Brock

Well done. Well done indeed.

Old
06-02-2010, 08:48 PM
MatthewFlames

Send a message via AIM to MatthewFlames Send a message via MSN to MatthewFlames Send a message via Yahoo to MatthewFlames Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewFlames
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Well done. Well done indeed.
HaHa. Hilarious. I'm worried about the ratio of GM's to McRoberts' daughters....

MatthewFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 05:04 AM
Hossa

Brock can have his Courvoisier.

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVisser View Post
But as difficult as the Stars and Panthers were, Keogh was quick to dismiss the challenge of the St. Louis Blues in the first round, stating that they were not the biggest challenge his team faced. He did save that respect for the Panthers. "The Blues are probably every bit as strong a team, but when you're talking about the finals, you have two teams coming in who are by definition playing their best. A team who has build up that momentum is always going to be the biggest challenge."
Ouch. Locker room material, that.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote