HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tremblay to play for Memorial Cup

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2004, 12:36 PM
Chainsaw

vCash: 500
Tremblay to play for Memorial Cup

David Tremblay will play for the Memorial cup starting May 16th. What are his teams chances? What will a Memorial Cup do for his career in Philadelphia? What will this do on our approach to bring Roman Malek here? Does this Make Antero Niittymaki expendable?

Old
05-11-2004, 12:41 PM
Rex88

His performance thus far moves him up the prospect chart.
Nitty is not going anyplace as his devpt. is on the fast track and he will get the vast majority of AHL starts next year (yes Sean will be back next year).
Malek can be had at this point as the younger guys (not just Tremblay) have really come along.

Old
05-11-2004, 01:10 PM
John Flyers Fan

No, it doesn't make Niittymaki expendable.

You can never have too many good young goalies.

Now, I've never seen Tremblay play, and he has to be good to be the #1 goalie on the best team in the Q, but from all reports the Gatineau team is loaded. Tremblay's job is more not to lose the game, than to have to win it.

Old
05-11-2004, 01:11 PM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88
His performance thus far moves him up the prospect chart.
Nitty is not going anyplace as his devpt. is on the fast track and he will get the vast majority of AHL starts next year (yes Sean will be back next year).
How do you figure Sean will be back. He is Due 4.5 next year and the CBA is most likely going to install some type of Salary Cap/Salary Tax. Either/or, Comcast is not going to pay that.

Old
05-11-2004, 01:14 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli
How do you figure Sean will be back. He is Due 4.5 next year and the CBA is most likely going to install some type of Salary Cap/Salary Tax. Either/or, Comcast is not going to pay that.
WIll there be a contract lock that requires a team to pay contracts signed before the CBA?

Old
05-11-2004, 01:16 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
#1. It's far from a definite that there will be a cap or tax.

#2. Burke has an unusual contract, that gives both him and the team an option for next year. The contract works as follows.

Approximately 10 days after the seaon ends both Burke and the Flyers submit sealed envelopes stating whether or not they want to excercise their option for next year.

If Burke only excercise his option he gets paid $4.25 million.

If Flyers only excercise their option Burke gets paid $4.75 million.

If both Burke and Flyers excercise their option he gets paid $4.5 million.

Old
05-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
#1. It's far from a definite that there will be a cap or tax..
Come on John. All signs are pointing that way. Every article and interview I read says that this is the most likly outcome. Tim Pinaccho's (SP?) son works with me and he said that his father has talked to a lot of NHL people (Players, owners and coaches) and they all believe some type of cap/tax is inevitable, even if some people are against it.

Quote:
##2. Burke has an unusual contract, that gives both him and the team an option for next year. The contract works as follows.

Approximately 10 days after the seaon ends both Burke and the Flyers submit sealed envelopes stating whether or not they want to excercise their option for next year.

If Burke only excercise his option he gets paid $4.25 million...
too much for a 38 year old back up

Quote:
If Flyers only excercise their option Burke gets paid $4.75 million...

Quote:
If both Burke and Flyers excercise their option he gets paid $4.5 million.

Last edited by Cuiff: 05-11-2004 at 01:48 PM.
Old
05-11-2004, 01:54 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:

Burke in all likelihood isn't going to pass up a guarunteed $4.25 million ti be our back-up.

The only way I see it happening is if a team promises him the #1 job.

Old
05-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Cuiff

Quote:
Burke in all likelihood isn't going to pass up a guarunteed $4.25 million ti be our back-up.

The only way I see it happening is if a team promises him the #1 job.

guaranteed!!!!!!!!!!

That might be a problem!

Old
05-11-2004, 02:05 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_Flyers_fan
David Tremblay will play for the Memorial cup starting May 16th. What are his teams chances? What will a Memorial Cup do for his career in Philadelphia? What will this do on our approach to bring Roman Malek here? Does this Make Antero Niittymaki expendable?

Has Tremblay been crucial in these games so far, or has he just been along for the ride? Good, but not great?

Old
05-11-2004, 02:06 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
guaranteed!!!!!!!!!!

That might be a problem!
It's not guarunteed if Burke doesn't want to come back and the Flyers don't want him back.

I highly doubt that Burke turns down $4.25 million and walk unless he is guarunteed a starting job by someone else, and the only team I can possibly see doing that is New York, and I don't think it will happen.

Old
05-11-2004, 02:14 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Tremnblay is his teams weakness.

Its awfully hard to lok bad in front of a team like that.

He is a solid prospect but dont get carried away.

Old
05-11-2004, 02:25 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La-Laprise

Thanks. Where do you think he ranks this year in the Quebec league overall? Top 5? Top 10?

Old
05-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Because HE has the option to take the contract.

Old
05-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88
Because HE has the option to take the contract.
Little late but thanks for trying to clear that up.

I did not know he had the option as well. That is such a bad deal for the Flyers

Last edited by Cuiff: 05-11-2004 at 03:44 PM.
Old
05-11-2004, 03:49 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator
Has Tremblay been crucial in these games so far, or has he just been along for the ride? Good, but not great?
As La-La-Laprise said, he's probably the weakest link on Gatineau, and he had a big of a meltdown in game 4. BUt he was also fantastic in game 5, so he's got some big game ability in him. He's nothing special at this point. He's one of the better goalies in the Q, but not only are three very good defencemen (Vagner, O'brien, D'amour) in front of him, but the team plays a very, very stingy defensive game.

At this point, he's only had one year as a starter, and it was for arguably the best team in the CHL who were as good defensively as any team I've ever seen in the QMJHL. He is big but kind of lean and very fluid. No doubt he has talent, but the big test will be the AHL for him. Obviously that isn't next year, but living in Ottawa I've seen many goalies under Kilrea's system (Craig Hillier anybody???) who thrived in junior because of a great defensive team in front of them, but crumbled in professional hockey. Tremblay could be the same.

Old
05-11-2004, 05:29 PM
gatineau101

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La-Laprise

Sincerely La-La-Laprise, How many times have you seen Tremblay play? Maybe 6-7 times?? You base your report probably on the numbers of shots and the number of dangereus one's. Yeah, he got pulled out in two games, who cares, in the rest of the games, he kept his team in the game. Ok, he did not receive lots of shots, but he proved that when it really counts, he can play great.(game 5)

Old
05-11-2004, 05:47 PM
gatineau101

Quote:
He stole one game in every series.

Old
05-11-2004, 06:36 PM
stanley

Quote:
That is such a bad deal for the Flyers
???

I don't know about everyone else, but Sean Burke as a $4.25M insurance policy in a town which hasn't known a stable goaltending situation since the Reagan administration (no joke) seems like a GREAT deal to me. He hasn't played but a few minutes in a runaway game this playoff season, but we just can't tell how much of Esche's development into a rock-solid goaltender this spring has been due to Burke's presence.

Old
05-12-2004, 06:00 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa
As La-La-Laprise said, he's probably the weakest link on Gatineau, and he had a big of a meltdown in game 4. BUt he was also fantastic in game 5, so he's got some big game ability in him. He's nothing special at this point. He's one of the better goalies in the Q, but not only are three very good defencemen (Vagner, O'brien, D'amour) in front of him, but the team plays a very, very stingy defensive game.

At this point, he's only had one year as a starter, and it was for arguably the best team in the CHL who were as good defensively as any team I've ever seen in the QMJHL. He is big but kind of lean and very fluid. No doubt he has talent, but the big test will be the AHL for him. Obviously that isn't next year, but living in Ottawa I've seen many goalies under Kilrea's system (Craig Hillier anybody???) who thrived in junior because of a great defensive team in front of them, but crumbled in professional hockey. Tremblay could be the same.
Thank you for your response!

Old
05-12-2004, 09:23 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
???

I don't know about everyone else, but Sean Burke as a $4.25M insurance policy in a town which hasn't known a stable goaltending situation since the Reagan administration (no joke) seems like a GREAT deal to me. He hasn't played but a few minutes in a runaway game this playoff season, but we just can't tell how much of Esche's development into a rock-solid goaltender this spring has been due to Burke's presence.

The conversation is not about now, but about next season. Paying Burke (or any back up) $4.5 mil next season, especially if there is a cap or tax is not a good idea for any team. It sucks that he has that option on his contract. I am positive that if the option was the Flyers only, they would reject it.

Last edited by Cuiff: 05-12-2004 at 09:28 AM.
Old
05-13-2004, 11:53 AM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Thanks. Where do you think he ranks this year in the Quebec league overall? Top 5? Top 10?
Top 10 for sure. Only 16 teams.

Id put him around 5th-7th.

Still a good goalie, but id rather have Nittymakki on my team.

Old
05-13-2004, 11:55 AM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatineau101
Sincerely La-La-Laprise, How many times have you seen Tremblay play? Maybe 6-7 times?? You base your report probably on the numbers of shots and the number of dangereus one's. Yeah, he got pulled out in two games, who cares, in the rest of the games, he kept his team in the game. Ok, he did not receive lots of shots, but he proved that when it really counts, he can play great.(game 5)
I think it is a compliment to your team to have Tremblay as the weakness dont ya think.

I dont base anything on numbers there pal. I think Tremblay is in the top 5-7 goalies in the QMJHL. If you think he is higher than that you are obviously a homer.

Old
05-13-2004, 12:05 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Burke may cost alot of money but i say there is a good chance they bring him back. Im not sure Hitch trusts 2 young goaltenders yet. he obviously trusts Esche but can he trust Niitty in a back up role? not sure. im just going by Hitch's track record which might suggest he keeps Burke or brings in another possibilly low cost veteran backup

Old
05-13-2004, 12:10 PM
iceman42

One thing I would like to bring up is that Boucher was coming along nicely, made a good run in the playoffs, had a vet backup that would teach and settle him down. Next year theres no vet back up, Checko came in and he seemed to be lost. While I dont think Boucher=Esche, I would feel more comfortable going into next year or whenever they play next with that saftey net for Esche, dont throw him into a situation where he has to secure the #1 from a flashy and very good rookie, while also mentoring him, while he himself was being mentored a year eariler, I dont think thats fair to Esche.

Closed Thread