HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

June 3, 2010: P'Oed over on air shots taken at leafs

Old
06-03-2010, 12:31 PM
GE0

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beyonder View Post
Don Cherry is sounding like a bigot.
Because he is a bigot. And he's a piece of ****. The worthless old windbag.

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymack1986 View Post
It was never just one rant though, it is offhand comments nearly every segment. It is always, "Good ole Canadian boy, saw him in the GTHL, good enough for a team like Chicago but not for us here in Toronna, eh Burkie?" or "Blocking shots, thattta boy, don't see any American in Toronna players doing that! Get your act together!" All the time. Then during the Mike Cammalleri love-in, it was the worst. Every time his name was mentioned, it was something like, "Wanted to play for Toronna, didn't have the right passport!" And not just him, the whole HNIC crew were loving ripping the Leafs for not signing Cammalleri. That is where the whole, 'Cammalleri went down to the ACC but Burke was in Sweden after some unknown goalie'.
Those are good examples among many others, that are more than likely in play here.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:35 PM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneymcstone View Post
I don't know how a guy can insult so many players during broadcasts and work for the NHLPA as well.
He doesn't work for the NHLPA anymore. He resigned from his position with the NHLPA last summer, if I recall correctly.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beyonder View Post

go to 2 mins and 30 s

Don Cherry is sounding like a bigot.
He doesn't just sound like one.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:30 PM
HariKari

Don Cherry knows what's going on. We do not. Sorry it had to be this way

HariKari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Daisy Joy
Little Ms SassyLeaf

As Burke should. I mean we ignore it so long because we're fans and everyone takes pot shots at the team and the fanbase, more so than everyone else, and it's just, well develop a thick skin, and it has really gotten... worse I say since I've been a fan.

I am all for the Us vs. Them mentality.

Daisy Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:58 PM
smitty10

Don Cherry is a xenophobic, bigoted idiot. How does CBC still allow this moron on TV? This is not Zimbabwe...

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:27 PM
TMLeafer
Komarov the Gaul

To be honest, I don't think Burke should be upset at this. The media likes to talk. And when you're the biggest and most popular team, and are the centre of the hockey universe, and have the most revenue and the most fans, stuff like this will always happen.

Agreed with Smitty, though.

TMLeafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:45 PM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

It just pisses me off so much when Cherry starts this crap about "North Americans are better than Europeans" . Shut up you idiot. Only Russia alone produced tons of SUPERSTARS and they were European,so not like only Canadians and Americans know how to play hockey.

I'm shocked that European players are not on a rage against Cherry still. Good job Ovechkin laughing at Cherry when he got a chance to.

iArts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:53 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafer View Post
To be honest, I don't think Burke should be upset at this. The media likes to talk. And when you're the biggest and most popular team, and are the centre of the hockey universe, and have the most revenue and the most fans, stuff like this will always happen.

Agreed with Smitty, though.

So it's okay for the media to take low ball shots at the Leafs during the SCF? The Leafs shouldn't even really be in the media right now let alone being talked about on HNIC.

DirtyDion03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:58 PM
RogerRoeper*

Contrary to popular belief, the CBC aren't Leaf homers at all. The Leafs make the CBC the most money by far in advertizing, so they show the Leafs the most. But the Leafs have always faced by far the most criticism. You just can't knock the 5 other teams like you can the Leafs.

The love fest over the Canucks in thir playoff run by CBC was pretty funny.

Last edited by RogerRoeper*: 06-03-2010 at 03:04 PM.
RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:04 PM
RogerRoeper*

It's become sad how the media feels they have to knock the Leafs to make fans of the other Canadian teams happy.

It's got to a point whereyou can't even compliment the Leafs on tv without getting a barrage of angry e-mails calling you a Leafs homer. There's such a ridiculous double-standard at play.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionic View Post
I can not tell you How much I love having Burke as the Leafs GM. For years people in the media would take pot shots at the Leafs and they were never held accountable....until now that is. Give 'em hell Burke!!!
I remember Wilson getting royally pissed at Berger last year and really tearing into him during an interview... It is nice to see the Leaf management stand up and take some pride in the team by defending them.

Christ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:29 PM
mlugia
That other guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
It's become sad how the media feels they have to knock the Leafs to make fans of the other Canadian teams happy.

It's got to a point whereyou can't even compliment the Leafs on tv without getting a barrage of angry e-mails calling you a Leafs homer. There's such a ridiculous double-standard at play.
The Leafs are like the fathers in custody court.

mlugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:32 PM
LeonBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
So it's okay for the media to take low ball shots at the Leafs during the SCF? The Leafs shouldn't even really be in the media right now let alone being talked about on HNIC.

It's quite humorous (on these forums and others) how certain fans of different teams claim that these kinds of jabs are deserved and Burke should simply suck it up. However, when the Leafs are a decent club, and the jabs turn to praise or even neutral commentary, these same people scream bloody murder about how CBC is Toronto-centric. Apparently, being biased towards the Big Smoke is only acceptable if the remarks are xenophobic and disparaging.

LeonBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:39 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafer View Post
To be honest, I don't know what the big deal is about. Burke threw out two lines in an interview; the amount of shots at the Leafs in the SCF doesn't make any sense and he doesn't like it. It's not like the guy blew a gasket and went on a huge rant about some conspiracy theory. There was no confrontation initiated, just an observation and how he felt about it.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:43 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
To be honest, I don't know what the big deal is about. Burke threw out two lines in an interview; the amount of shots at the Leafs in the SCF doesn't make any sense and he doesn't like it. It's not like the guy blew a gasket and went on a huge rant about some conspiracy theory. There was no confrontation initiated, just an observation and how he felt about it.
So its okay for Cherry to randomly bring up Burke and make it seem like Burke is a joke? Ohh I'm so scared? What does that have to do with anything?

DirtyDion03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Ratboy
PTSD-Leafdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty40 View Post
'Cause he didn't try to do that last off-season right?...wow..
Oh relax. We finished 2nd last. We sucked last year. That doesn't mean there aren't good signs moving forward, it just means that if anyone chirps about how much the Leafs sucked last year you can't really disagree with them.

I hope Burke channels his anger into making something huge happen for this team, cause we need it.

Ratboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Suntouchable13

It's ok to criticize the Leafs, but not when people go out of their way to do so. I think that's what's happening a lot among media and fans. I see someone taking a shot at the Leafs in so many threads on the main board that have absolutely nothing to do with the Leafs.

Suntouchable13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:46 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
So its okay for Cherry to randomly bring up Burke and make it seem like Burke is a joke? Ohh I'm so scared? What does that have to do with anything?
That was Cherry's response to Burke's comments.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:55 PM
sessiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonBlack View Post
It's quite humorous (on these forums and others) how certain fans of different teams claim that these kinds of jabs are deserved and Burke should simply suck it up. However, when the Leafs are a decent club, and the jabs turn to praise or even neutral commentary, these same people scream bloody murder about how CBC is Toronto-centric. Apparently, being biased towards the Big Smoke is only acceptable if the remarks are xenophobic and disparaging.
It's funny. I remember when there was talk about sundin being dealt at the deadline and the score would talk about the leafs, sundin, kaberle frequently because it was the hot topic, but so many people e-mailed/wrote in complaining about it that they had to stop talking about the leafs all together for a long period of time.

This is why I beleive the maple leafs are the new york yankees in hockey(minus the strengh of the teams) and why fans of other teams hate us. Because we get the most coverage even if the teams isn't preforming and there hasen't been a boring season for a while.(trades, trade rumors, management changes etc) Add that and the hatred people feel when toronto is called the mecca of hockey and it adds up.

So the "us against the world" acually applies with the leafs. I have NEVER seen a last place team hatted so much.

sessiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Buddio
CFC

Buddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Lilou
t-.-t

Most of the sports anchors hired at TSN, Sportsnet, and CBC are from western canada so these random shots at the leafs doesnt surprise me. Most of them probably grew up hating this team.

Lilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Burke vs Cherry. I love it.

Hero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:28 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilou View Post
Most of the sports anchors hired at TSN, Sportsnet, and CBC are from western canada so these random shots at the leafs doesnt surprise me. Most of them probably grew up hating this team.
I'm not at all surprised at the shots being taken; neither am I at all angered by them. All the shots being taken at the Leafs can be justified by the shape the team was in up until the trade deadline and how we traded the 2nd overall pick + for Phil Kessel.

GordieHoweHatTrick is online now   Reply With Quote