HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Flexing a stick

Old
06-01-2010, 02:41 AM
blackcharger

vCash: 500
Flexing a stick

How do you do it,my son and I just can't seem to get the mechanics down.Kovalevs video shows him doing it ,but doesn't actually explain how.I've read posts and articles that tell you just do it.But how?It's easy enough on a slapshot,but on a wrister the stick doesn't want to slide Any help would be appreciated.

blackcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well first you need a stick that you can flex, how big is he and what flex is he using?

With wristers, you flex the stick by pushing through and down with the bottom hand while pulling back with the top hand.

Watch what Cammalleri does here:

I'm about the same size as Cammalleri but because I'm not an NHL'er, see that I don't flex the stick as much, even though I'm using about 65 flex and he uses 80 (about :58):

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Faryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Well first you need a stick that you can flex, how big is he and what flex is he using?

With wristers, you flex the stick by pushing through and down with the bottom hand while pulling back with the top hand.

Watch what Cammalleri does here:

I'm about the same size as Cammalleri but because I'm not an NHL'er, see that I don't flex the stick as much, even though I'm using about 65 flex and he uses 80 (about :58):

It looks like you are going to fall over with your wrist shot maybe start behind your back foot a little more and release the puck a little sooner. The stick looks like it could be a little short for you (it could be the way you are shooting but it looks like you lean over top of the puck a little to much maybe try bending your knees more).

You want to come across your body more start behind your back foot and as you bring it across your body you put weight on the stick with your bottom hand and pull with your top hand remember to follow through your blade should also turn over and "point". When I do it outside I normally do a crossover with my feet to bring the puck along more and give me a little momentum with the shot and with the follow through you should have your stick pointed towards the spot you are shooting.

Faryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It is the weirdest damn thing, the stick is cut to my nose in bare feet but everyone keeps saying it looks short, but on the ice it's just fine. I did put a big end plug in another stick to make it about 2-3" longer, I'm going to try that this week, it'll probably be a huge failure.

I did notice Cammelleri keeps his back a lot more straight, and he's on top of the puck a lot more than I seem to be, more things to work on.

But the odd thing is my shot is pretty good on the ice, a lot better than off that's for sure.

Old
06-01-2010, 10:09 PM
blackcharger

Good videos,but,still not really an explanation on wieght transfer,ect.Here's my thoughts.Pull stick back,wieght goes onto back leg ,as you begin to push the stick forward you lean on it to flex it and slide the stick forward to release the puck.But how do you keep enough wieght on the stick to keep it flexed while sliding it forward,It doesn't want to move very much while leaning on it.There must be a video or something somewhere to explain how to release the flex.I'm not trying to be difficult ,but,it just seems like by loading the stick you can't get any speed while sliding it.I find all this quite confusing.

Old
06-02-2010, 12:56 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcharger View Post
Good videos,but,still not really an explanation on wieght transfer,ect.Here's my thoughts.Pull stick back,wieght goes onto back leg ,as you begin to push the stick forward you lean on it to flex it and slide the stick forward to release the puck.But how do you keep enough wieght on the stick to keep it flexed while sliding it forward,It doesn't want to move very much while leaning on it.There must be a video or something somewhere to explain how to release the flex.I'm not trying to be difficult ,but,it just seems like by loading the stick you can't get any speed while sliding it.I find all this quite confusing.
What is your height, weight and the flex of the stick you're using?

Also, you have to go through the motions in one fluid motion or you'll lose the flex. It's near impossible to hold the stick in a flexed state on the ice. I could be wrong but it sounds like you're working out how to simply flex it, not flex it during a shot.

I'm a noob but this is how I think it should go: Pull stick back, drop lower hand to about half way point on stick (maybe a little higher), lean body into stick pushing down slightly with lower hand, use both hands to drag the stick forward (top hand ahead of lower hand), once hands are about fully extended snap the top hand back and drive with lower hand all while rolling wrists over the top of the stick. Do all that in half a second. The Cammalleri vid above is a great look at it.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Last night at the shooting range I was shooting pretty hard just standing on one foot.

I think what we need to do is separate two motions:

1. Forward Momentum
2. Weight Transfer

If you think about transferring weight from your back leg to your front, that doesn't accomplish anything. All you're doing is moving your body weight to another limb that has nothing to do with the stick.

Now if you skate as fast as you can and then shoot, your shots will be much harder because of your forward momentum, you're going to be adding 10-15 mph on to your shot just because you're already moving that fast.

So when it comes to weight transfer, don't think about moving weight from one leg to another, but from putting your body weight into the stick, and that's going to happen at your bottom hand.

Try standing on your back leg and putting your stick in a wrist shot position. Get a good balance (have your leg centered under your body). Now lean on the stick. Lean into your bottom hand while pulling your top hand back. That's how you transfer your weight INTO the stick.

I might be way off base here, but I played around with that for a good while last night and it made sense and my shots were a lot better than the above video where I was just trying to step and shoot like you're supposed to.

Old
06-02-2010, 09:02 PM
pistolpete31

Yeah I need to know your height, weight, stick, and stick flex because I was having problems until I dropped to a lower flex

pistolpete31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:36 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete31 View Post
Yeah I need to know your height, weight, stick, and stick flex because I was having problems until I dropped to a lower flex
I see a lot of people who have not perfected shooting yet worrying about flexing the stick while shooting.

One should learn to shoot first properly before worrying about that junk. A learner flexing his stick is just going to shoot a harder terrible shot.

I see lots of beginners or intermediates look at what someone else who can shoot well is using for a stick and to be honest a stick is not going to make you miraculously shoot better and neither will flexing the shaft until you actually know how to shoot first.

I guarantee anyone here they will not shoot golf balls like Tiger using his clubs.

The point is Kovalev's flex video is not going to help a bad shot to be better, it will help a good shot be a great one.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:55 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

wrist shots dont really flex the stick snap shots do. camalleri is taking snap shots. he hits the ice behind the puck a little

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:57 AM
blackcharger

Well we were working on it tonite.Tried to just balance on the back foot,then lean on the stick,pull the top hand back and voila,instant shot.No wind up,no wieght transfer,just flex.The shots weren't the best in the world but with a bit of practice and incorparating with wieght transfer it will take someones head off.By the way,my son is 15,5'8",130lbs.He has an Easton stick with a 65 flex and a Bauer with a 77 flex.He already has a good and accurate shot and we are hoping to get it to the next level.This is the first time I actually got what Kovalev was doing.Thanks alot.GO FLYERS.