HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

At&t's new data plans:$15 for 200 MB,$25 for 2 GB

Old
06-03-2010, 10:27 AM
guinness
those were the days

vCash: 500
At&t's new data plans:$15 for 200 MB,$25 for 2 GB

Just in time for the new iPhone, AT&T's revised data plan pricing: $15 for 200 MB and $25 for 2 GB. (applies to all new accounts, although if you have current plan, you don't have to switch). And tethering is an extra $20.

But if you want tethering on your phone, you have to get one of the new plans. And that 2 GB is shared between the phone and laptop, etc. susf

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/02/a...ethering-comi/

I wonder how long this takes to reach other carriers...

guinness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 10:56 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Just in time for the new iPhone, AT&T's revised data plan pricing: $15 for 200 MB and $25 for 2 GB. (applies to all new accounts, although if you have current plan, you don't have to switch). And tethering is an extra $20.

But if you want tethering on your phone, you have to get one of the new plans. And that 2 GB is shared between the phone and laptop, etc. susf

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/02/a...ethering-comi/

I wonder how long this takes to reach other carriers...
Praying Verizon doesn't go this path...

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Arastiroth

I personally love this change. I think I could get by with the 200MB plan, and I definitely could get by with the 2GB plan. That would let me save about $10-$30 a month (between my girlfriend and I).

Frankly, this makes me want to switch to AT&T. I can understand why some people wouldn't be happy about it, though.

Arastiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

!@%$^@

I use between 3-5gb per month on my phone... Good god, don't follow AT&T, Verizon.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:26 AM
karnige
Real Life FTL

how much is 200mb just surfing?

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:22 PM
The Big Giant Head

thank god i already have the iphone with unlimited data plan.

I dont like the idea of being limited in my data usage although i see this as being beneficial for some people as stated above. i honestly think i use more than 2gig/month with web surfing, streaming video content and music downloads.

Currently my 2year contract is up so if Verizon, like rumored, gets the iphone and doesnt implement and data cap then im switching for sure. I have a feeling this is going to be the new trend for sure though.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarnegie View Post
This is what I'm wondering, especially if you use something like Netflix. Would their "Watch Now" option just be pointless as it would spike my cable bill to some ungodly level?

06-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Probably not more than visiting a few of your news websites maybe once or twice a day for the month.

Like I said, this past month I used 3.8gb of data on my Motorola Droid. And I'm even connected to my Wifi for a good portion of the time I'm at home.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:35 PM
leova

Quote:
it's 200,000 Kilobytes...now consider that just this page is ~25k, each avatar/signature is 1-2k, and things like AIM further eat up that space, and that 200,000 kb evaporates real quick....

If you browse any site beyond HFBoards, view any youtubes, download any songs....yeah, its not much at all

leova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:41 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

What? They charge extra for tethering?

Oh and just use the mobile skin on HF. Pages aren't that heavy this way.

Last edited by The Russian General: 06-03-2010 at 02:33 PM.
The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Yeah, I don't browse that much, I have 3 email accounts including my work email account and I hit 183M last month. Wouldn't want to risk going over, so I would need the larger plan.

One thing I can tell you is that I heard from an insider I trust that AT&T currently throttles down your bandwidth once you hit 1G during a billing cycle. So while it is unlimited, it's not unlimited

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:13 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by leova View Post
it's 200,000 Kilobytes...now consider that just this page is ~25k, each avatar/signature is 1-2k, and things like AIM further eat up that space, and that 200,000 kb evaporates real quick....

If you browse any site beyond HFBoards, view any youtubes, download any songs....yeah, its not much at all
Mobile versions of sites help. The mobile version of the Flyers board is usually about 16 KB vs. something like 200 KB on regular. A lot of sites now with mobile versions automatically detect you're on a mobile device and switch over. But some news sites don't, and run a good 500 KB. Smart surfing will be a lot more important now for AT&T users.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 50
been hearing about this for a while. AT&T's biggest issue was that something like 2% of their users were taking up around 90-95% of the available bandwith. They simply had to do this to compete with Verizon. I would anticipate AT&T's download speed getting faster as people begin to cut back on online time.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by irbelikewall View Post
been hearing about this for a while. AT&T's biggest issue was that something like 2% of their users were taking up around 90-95% of the available bandwith. They simply had to do this to compete with Verizon. I would anticipate AT&T's download speed getting faster as people begin to cut back on online time.
They couldn't find a better way to target that 2%?

Winger98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

You know, that makes me wonder............. How many bits does it take to count bits? I mean, I can check how much I've used every day. How often do they send that information, how big is it and are they including that transfer as my usage. Hm......................

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Declassified

I was just visiting my mother in Newfoundland and didn't have internet access, I used my blackberry for everything, I was on it all the time surfing and other things . I only used 16mb in 3 weeks.

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Wedontneedroads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
They couldn't find a better way to target that 2%?
Now don't go shootin the messenger on this one I personally agree that there is probably a better way to target the people who are essentially hoarding the majority of the bandwith without punishing the rest of the normal users.

I imagine they analyzed thier data on data usage () and calculated the best possible data usage cut off points i.e. 200MB and 2 GB. Combine that with estimations on customer's elasticity once they made the price change and presto AT&T's profit maximizing data plan.

However, the positive of this new plan is that low usage users who were being charged a ridiculous amount for how much data they were using will now pay an appropriate price. This unfortunately comes at the price of the high bandwith user who will now be charged for all that extra usage...

Old
06-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Epic...fail, way to go AT&T (on a side note, MacRumors forum users are going insane, talk about severe backlash, not just there, all over the internet. And deservedly so).

This better mean a Verizon iPhone, I hope for you Amerks that this doesn't become the new standard for smartphone data.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
this is good for me. i would be fine with no dataplan personally, only using 3g internet for emergencies. $30 a month was too much of a barrier for me to get a smartphone.

just out of curiosity how much is 200 mb and 2 gb as far as internet surfing?

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 05:35 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

I have only 500 MB on my data plan..

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Benny Lava

I'm happy about it. I don't use 200MB a month, so this'll save me $10.

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by irbelikewall View Post
Now don't go shootin the messenger on this one I personally agree that there is probably a better way to target the people who are essentially hoarding the majority of the bandwith without punishing the rest of the normal users.

I imagine they analyzed thier data on data usage () and calculated the best possible data usage cut off points i.e. 200MB and 2 GB. Combine that with estimations on customer's elasticity once they made the price change and presto AT&T's profit maximizing data plan.

However, the positive of this new plan is that low usage users who were being charged a ridiculous amount for how much data they were using will now pay an appropriate price. This unfortunately comes at the price of the high bandwith user who will now be charged for all that extra usage...
curse you irbelikewall!

yeah, I have no doubt that AT&T set the limits where they expect to make the most money, but it still irritates me. I mean, I don't consider myself a high bandwidth user - or at least not someone who uses enough bandwidth to be a problem - but I bet I could clear that 2G limit some months pretty easily. If my net rates start getting hiked, then other services like Netflix lose a chunk of value for me.

The irrational conspiratorialist in me thinks that maybe this is one of the end goals, too. Forcing people back into traditional modes of commerce where they can make the easier buck. That's taking this move to the extreme, but if bandwidth suddenly became very costly, then all sorts of online entertainment such as netflix, online radio, Hulu, would start taking some heavy hits as well.

Winger98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 07:16 PM
invictus

Quote:
curse you irbelikewall!

yeah, I have no doubt that AT&T set the limits where they expect to make the most money, but it still irritates me. I mean, I don't consider myself a high bandwidth user - or at least not someone who uses enough bandwidth to be a problem - but I bet I could clear that 2G limit some months pretty easily. If my net rates start getting hiked, then other services like Netflix lose a chunk of value for me.

The irrational conspiratorialist in me thinks that maybe this is one of the end goals, too. Forcing people back into traditional modes of commerce where they can make the easier buck. That's taking this move to the extreme, but if bandwidth suddenly became very costly, then all sorts of online entertainment such as netflix, online radio, Hulu, would start taking some heavy hits as well.
I've never used AT&T, but since you reference those services, is it safe to assume you are referring to people who tether their phones and use it as a modem? Just want to make sure I'm understanding.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Wedontneedroads

Quote:
curse you irbelikewall!

I personally don't know enough about AT&T's cost structure to know whether or not streaming media has a positive or negative effect on their bottom line. However, I would think it would be quite the step back if traditional modes of commerce were revisited. My inclination would be that the new methods of communication and commerce (online and streaming) are in fact cheaper for almost all parties involved. I think this may be as simple as an AT&T money grab.

While I don't think there is a conspiracy at work here, I definitely do agree that entertainment will probably be taking the hit on this one, how much of a hit will be the question.

Old
06-03-2010, 08:24 PM
guinness
those were the days

I just looked up how much data I've used the past month (5/08 through today), and it's 2 GB.

And that's not including my mobile broadband usage. Most of that is from things like Pandora, and some of the other apps I use often (engadget, NYT, weather apps) on my Pre Plus.

That breaks down to a little over 60 MB a day. Broadband usage is a little over 800 MB.

Problem is, I don't see where Verizon is getting all their numbers from, it just seems like a lot for Pandora, engadget, NYT, AP, e-mail. I rarely use YT on my phone.

But all in all, it does seem like I'd be completely fudged with a 200 MB plan.

guinness is online now   Reply With Quote