HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Braydon Coburn - Living a Dream

Old
06-03-2010, 03:47 PM
tytech

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedawg View Post
Close meaning i am going to his wedding this summer, talk to him after every series, and hung out with him growing up. Played minor hockey with him..

Quite the experience having a conference finals between the team you idolize and your buddy.
Someone's marrying that nose?

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
I kinda wish Coburn was playing better in this PO tho. Obviously he wont be as good as Prongs and Timo, but Carle is outperforming him as well.

I see several defensive miscues, and his offensive production is not there either.

Man, you're crazy. The entire top 4 are playing like men on a mission right now (bottom pair has been good with Bart in there too). Coburn hasn't been the exception. He just put together two back to back great games in the cup finals.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:19 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post

Man, you're crazy. The entire top 4 are playing like men on a mission right now (bottom pair has been good with Bart in there too). Coburn hasn't been the exception. He just put together two back to back great games in the cup finals.
Agreed. On the whole, Coburn has been excellent in these play-offs. I'm not sure how anyone could say he hasn't exceeded the expectations they had for him coming in.

Also, imo, the Flyers would be crazy to not re-sign him. He didn't have a great regular season, and that should serve as an advantage to the Flyers, as they can hopefully sign him to a deal that I'd expect he'll easily fulfill and then some. His projected salary has surely risen some in these play-offs, but hey, that's quite alright.

In general, whether the Cup is won right now or not, I'm so in love with this team that I want there to be virtually no changes made to the roster for next year. That has to do partially with my penchant for seeing teams really come together and seeing what they can do with what they've got(too much trading in sports, imo), and also just with the fact that this really is a very solid team that I don't see much reason to mess with. Obviously, a little bit of tweaking might have to happen for certain reasons.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:26 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
I kinda wish Coburn was playing better in this PO tho. Obviously he wont be as good as Prongs and Timo, but Carle is outperforming him as well.

I see several defensive miscues, and his offensive production is not there either.
Are you on dog food? The guys has been nothing but stellar in the post season. Regular season, well that's a different story.

Edit- I see I was beaten to the "are you on dog food" punch.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 05:58 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I was talking to a guy who worked at a sports merchandise store while on travel in Minneapolis at the Mall of America who knew JVR. Had nothing but good things to say about him.
Such a humble kid, i can honestly say he has the right mindset on everything.

I cant wait to ask him what he thought about being scratched

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 06:18 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I was talking to a guy who worked at a sports merchandise store while on travel in Minneapolis at the Mall of America who knew JVR. Had nothing but good things to say about him.
I talked to JVR a few times at the gym at UNH. Seemed like a real nice guy.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

I've always liked him-- moreso once he did the TRIPLE FIST PUMP on the bench.

To be that genuinely happy / excited and just having to let it out -- just seemed really genuine and down to earth. That kind of enthusiasm makes me really like a person. Too many negative people in the world (myself included).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD27ySmm620

Flyotes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Coburn was astoundingly good the last pair of games. When he plays like that he looks like a 4-5 million dollar defenseman. He was absolutely controlling his side of the ice last night and looks like he's got his swagger back. If Braydon plays the rest of the series that way there's going to be a Parade in Philly.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:48 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
How old is she? She could pick worse players to have a crush on!
She's too young. But I've got to say he's always been fantastic with her at the player meet-and-greets and such. Seems like a great guy.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:52 AM
Flyers93

To the OP, that's so cool that you're close with an NHL player.

I got some very minor connections to a few guys, my dad's sister's husband (my favourite Uncle, If I may add) has a nephew on his side of the family who plays between the Hurricanes and their AHL team, Brett Carson. He's a big, young defensemen, played against the Flyers a couple times.

Also, my dad works with Ryan Getzlaf's uncle. He also works with Ryan Smyth's father-in-law.

Flyers93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:53 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Agreed. On the whole, Coburn has been excellent in these play-offs. I'm not sure how anyone could say he hasn't exceeded the expectations they had for him coming in.
They could say it if they were a total moron who didn't know anything at all about hockey.

Anyone with viewing comprehension can see that Coburn is playing fantastic all the time. A faster Pronger is his upside, he's learning how to be mean from the master too!

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedawg View Post
Shane Doan - NO

Shaun Van Allen
Hayley Wickenheiser

Thats about it.

Patrick Marleau is from Aneroid, which is very close.
Thanks Nate and thanks for coming on here. It was Hayley I was thinking of.

Have fun at the wedding and tell Braydon he is much loved and respected by Flyer fans.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 01:26 AM
StandingCow

Without Colburn, we wouldn't be where we are now imo. He has played huge during the playoffs.

Thanks for sharing too Nate.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 01:36 AM
freakydallas13

my good friend's dad is cousins with asham. apparently he is a blast to hang out with.

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 01:40 AM
Amateur Hour

You see flashes with Coburn that make you say, "Wow, this guy has the potential to dominate and be a first pairing defenseman for 10 years." Then he makes plays that make you shake your head in disbelief and frustration. It's always been about consistency with him and utilizing that 6'5" with which he has been blessed. He's got the talent to be very special, there's no question about that, it just needs to click between the ears. His skating is flawless, and if he ever starts to incorporate physicality and a mean streak in his game... watch out (please, for the love of God, learn from Pronger). Braydon just needs to put it all together for an extended period of time and realize himself just how good he can be. We're getting glimpses right now, as he's been nothing short of phenomenal in the SCF (despite being a -6 in the series, I can't believe that!), and, really, impressive throughout the entire playoff run. He's doing his best to make up for a pitiful regular season, that's for sure.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 08:21 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Such a humble kid, i can honestly say he has the right mindset on everything.

I cant wait to ask him what he thought about being scratched
Good choice of words, he used the word humble to describe him too.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 08:29 AM
tytech

Coburn was great a few years back when paired with Kimo. Then that pair was split up and Coburn's game went to shat. Now, he's back with Kimo and he's playing well.

I'm just saying. Not to take away from Coburn but Kimo has a lot to do with Coburn's play.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 08:31 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
I've always liked him-- moreso once he did the TRIPLE FIST PUMP on the bench.

To be that genuinely happy / excited and just having to let it out -- just seemed really genuine and down to earth. That kind of enthusiasm makes me really like a person. Too many negative people in the world (myself included).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD27ySmm620
Yup. I showed my girlfriend that video when it first happened and he instantly became her 2nd favorite player (after Giroux).

It was awesome to see, I love how he just HAS to let it out.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 08:36 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Awesome article

JvR is actually a close family friend of mine, i was pumped when the Flyers took him in 07 (being a lifelong flyers fan). Im sure you've heard some "Locker room" stories like I have haha
Share some of those locker room stories

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote