HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes Sign Tlusty to 1-year deal

Old
05-28-2010, 09:16 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Canes Sign Tlusty to 1-year deal

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=530384

Quote:
Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with forward Jiri Tlusty (YIH-ree T’LOO-stee) on a one-year, one-way contract. The deal will pay Tlusty $500,000 in 2010-11.

I take this as a pretty big indicator that he's likely to be one of the kids that makes the team next season. JR avoids handing out one-way deals if at all possible.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Chrispy

vCash: 500
That's a bargain compared to what I expected for Tlusty given his former first round pick contract. But with a one-way contract it's a much better deal for Tlusty than the rookie deal given how much time he's spent in the AHL the past 2 years.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:28 AM
caniac247

I automatically assumed it was a 2-way, so surprised to see 1-way. Appears he has 1 of the available spots. I'm guessing 3rd line.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:30 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
The one-way contract was probably the selling point on getting him to sign this. He was making a solid 350K more per year at the NHL level and his QO was around 900K per. Only thing is that it was a two-way deal so this has him making significantly more if he doesn't cut it in the NHL. It's also a good gamble on JR's part to save 400K per season like this, giving a guy that was a former first round pick essentially a league minimum contract and believing he is good enough to make the team.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:41 AM
totaltank

The savings in dollars is nice, and I'm not discounting it, but I ABSOLUTELY HATE the way Rutherford saves money on contracts. A few years ago, it was tossing around no-trade clauses. Recently, it's one-way contracts (remember Conboy's one-way in the second year, and I think Bayda, too). Either way, it's just another way to curtail flexibility, which to me is absolutely paramount in the salary cap world. Now, instead of true competition in camp, Tlusty essentially has to play himself out of a job, and Rutherford has to be willing to pay a guy half a mil to play in the AHL. I hate it. I really do.

totaltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Scorvo

The only other possibility I see(which I doubt will happen) is that this makes Jiri VERY attractive to cap trouble teams. Could happen, but I doubt it will.

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
The savings in dollars is nice, and I'm not discounting it, but I ABSOLUTELY HATE the way Rutherford saves money on contracts. A few years ago, it was tossing around no-trade clauses. Recently, it's one-way contracts (remember Conboy's one-way in the second year, and I think Bayda, too). Either way, it's just another way to curtail flexibility, which to me is absolutely paramount in the salary cap world. Now, instead of true competition in camp, Tlusty essentially has to play himself out of a job, and Rutherford has to be willing to pay a guy half a mil to play in the AHL. I hate it. I really do.
I think it depends on how many spots are open in camp. The more wing spots available, the smarter this move is. If Whitney, Brind'Amour, and Samsonov all return, I agree that a 1-way deal restricts flexibility and could cost a winger a spot in Raleigh to start the season like Sutter this past fall.

But I still think Samsonov could be bought out this off-season. Samsonov on the roster this year is 2.8 million in salary. Buying him out and replacing with Tlusty is $933K to Sammy and $500K to Tlusty, or under 1.5 million for 10-11. It is another $933K hit in 11-12, but I think you can make an argument for saving over a million this year and getting another slot open for another young player.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 10:00 AM
AD Skinner

I don't mind it so much. Yeah, it gives him some security as far as a roster spot, but if he sucks and gets buried on the fourth line he'll probably the best player for the money there. And as was discussed it's good trade bait if necessary... I'd like to see him succeed here but if he doesn't it'd be pretty easy to move him. Maybe Rutherford could use him to sweeten the deal for a more dead-weight contract like Samsonov or Cole.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 10:08 AM
totaltank

I totally understand the hate-ons for Cole and Samsonov, given their production (or lack thereof) compared to salary. But both of those guys are still in their prime. In the right situation, they could still be productive NHLers. On the other hand, Brindy needs to go, one way or another, and I'd just as soon we don't sign Whitney. Of course, this is the Canes, so I'm sure we'll have Brindy/Whitney back, and probably stick with Cole/Samsonov, too. I'm just really down on the current makeup of the Canes, and my confidence in JR doing anything to improve it is at an all-time low.

Old
05-28-2010, 10:17 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

If Tlusty doesn't play well enough to keep a spot here, why would anyone trade for his one-way contract?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 10:33 AM
bleedgreen

the only positive about the one way is that it keeps a spot away from whitney. they have to want boychuk to make it too, and there are only so many spots. this could men whitney is out, or maybe sammy is getting bought out.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 01:44 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
the only positive about the one way is that it keeps a spot away from whitney. they have to want boychuk to make it too, and there are only so many spots. this could men whitney is out, or maybe sammy is getting bought out.
I can only wish it's both. We need to keep opening some spots up for the younger guys. I'm sort of uneasy about having abunch of them in the line up but in reality it shouldn't be that much off a drop off in actual production, especially with Samsonov.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 01:46 PM
bleedgreen

we can survive their losses on offense for sure. this team was a non playoff team. we didnt make it with them, so lets move on. other guys will pick up the slack for whitneys loss. this time should be about getting the kids the experience they need and seeing who is legit and who is not in a fair environment.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 01:51 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
If Tlusty doesn't play well enough to keep a spot here, why would anyone trade for his one-way contract?
There are several GMs that would take a flyer on Tlusty, IMO. A 4th-7th rounder (or maybe even waiver wire pick up) for a 22 year old former 1st rounder isn't much of a gamble to take especially a team starved for offensive players. I'm hoping for our sake Tlusty can be a decent 2nd/3rd line player because if not, we basically completely wasted our 1st rounder last year.

Old
05-28-2010, 02:10 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
There are several GMs that would take a flyer on Tlusty, IMO. A 4th-7th rounder (or maybe even waiver wire pick up) for a 22 year old former 1st rounder isn't much of a gamble to take especially a team starved for offensive players. I'm hoping for our sake Tlusty can be a decent 2nd/3rd line player because if not, we basically completely wasted our 1st rounder last year.
Yeah but we're talking about a guy who would have just played himself off two non-playoff rosters in a row... the two teams who battled for last overall most of this season. He'd be an AHL lifer at that point.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Not a fan of Tlusty inside the Top 6. I think he could eventually become a borderline guy, but he doesn't seem to have the top flight skill to really merit Top 6 upside in my eyes. The comparisons to Radim Vrbata have been made, but I think Vrbata was more skilled and even he had to learn to play pretty impressive defense in order to secure Top 9 time with an NHL team.

There is a chance he could make it, but I think Tlusty is the guy that falls from favor after this season. This contract screams, make it work or next stop is Europe. We'll give you that one year one way deal you want, but you better make it work.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 02:16 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

I don't think it is like that, we did say last year when we picked him up that Tlusty would be on the team next year. JR was probably planning his contract then. I think Tlusty will put together a good season for us.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Brock Anton
wat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave View Post
I don't think it is like that, we did say last year when we picked him up that Tlusty would be on the team next year. JR was probably planning his contract then. I think Tlusty will put together a good season for us.
Agree with this. JR even said that the trade for Tlusty was for the 2010-2011 season.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 02:26 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

The reality is that Tlusty has never really even got a chance to show his offensive skills and was handled pretty badly in Toronto. For a player that is supposed to be skilled offensively he's never really had a chance to play with any good players or have any valuable PP time consistently. It's time to see what he can do because before long it could be too late if it isn't already.

Old
05-29-2010, 12:51 PM
totaltank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
The reality is that Tlusty has never really even got a chance to show his offensive skills and was handled pretty badly in Toronto. For a player that is supposed to be skilled offensively he's never really had a chance to play with any good players or have any valuable PP time consistently. It's time to see what he can do because before long it could be too late if it isn't already.
My point is that we have a handful of guys who this applies to. Only Tlusty has the one-way contract, so he's likely to be the only one who gets that shot.

Old
06-02-2010, 10:21 AM
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor

More on Tlusty today

This explains the one way deal.

Quote:
Although Tlusty’s one-way deal, which does not include an American Hockey League salary should be reassigned, confirms plans for him to be with the Hurricanes for all of next season, that likely would have been the case regardless of his contract.

As a 22-year-old with significant NHL experience (92 games played), Tlusty is no longer exempt from waivers and would need to clear that process before he could be assigned to Charlotte of the AHL, two-way deal or not. In the unlikely event that he cleared waivers, a two-way contract would only serve to pay him less in the minors. That becomes a moot point if he was never going to go there in the first place, as waiving the talented forward acquired last season for 2009 first-round draft choice Philippe Paradis is a chance the Hurricanes will almost certainly not be willing to take.

06-02-2010, 11:32 AM
caniac247

Quote:
“If he plays the way we think he’s capable of, he’ll play with Brandon Sutter or somebody else on a line that can play against the other team’s top lines.”
I did think Tlusty and Sutter looked pretty good together the few games they played together.

Quote:
“He’s coming in at the minimum salary, and that’s not where he’s going to want to stay,” said Rutherford. “This is a very important year for him and is going to establish where he and his salary fit into the team long-range. This is no time to take it easy. This is a time to push harder.”
Even though he's got the one-way and pretty much guaranteed a spot whether its on the 4th or in the Top 6. He still has something to play for unless he's ok with making league minimum.

Who knows, just maybe we'll be getting a guy whose ready to prove something.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote