HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Networking XBox360 and PS3

Old
06-03-2010, 12:52 PM
NYRSinceBirth

vCash: 500
Networking XBox360 and PS3

OK, so I graduated from school and moved back home for a few months. I'm on the second floor, with XBox360 and soon to be PS3 int my room. The wireless router is in the basement (Finished) and I can get my hands on Cat5e cable rather cheaply (MonoPrice) so I'm probably going to buy a 75ft length to be safe. Now the questions:
1) I can run the networking cables through the AC vents (I'll be moved out before we use heat again) right? I know people have done it before, and it's only temporary.
2) Can I run one cable, split it behind the consoles, and run individual (Short length, 2ft maybe) cables to each XBox and PS3? I obviously won't be using both systems/internet connections at the same time so I suppose it won't be an issue.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:57 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

If you already have WiFi set up, why not just get another WiFi hub and set up a bridge in your room? It would be easier than dragging a long cable through the vents (which sounds sketchy to me) and then using a short split.

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:03 PM
highoffglass
Cheers!

yeah, instead of using a long cord, grab the wireless adapter for the 360. Save you tonnes of clutter, and much, much easier

highoffglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:12 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Well how are the 2 systems on Wifi/wireless? I want to get NetFlix for my PS3 and want things to run smoothly, hence the hard wiring/networking. Plus $89 for a Wifi adapter is a little ridiculous when I could just as easily run a cable for $8.

DrFeelGood, any suggestions on a hub? Speed and reliability are my major concern (Obviously), that's why I want to just run the cable and not have to worry.

Old
06-03-2010, 01:18 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

I haven't done a WiFi bridge in a while, so I am admittedly not well versed on whats good with networking hardware anymore.

A setup that I had a few years back was a main router on the other side of my house, I took a very long cat5 cable (I would guess ~100ft), dragged it under my house in the crawlspace and hooked it up to a hub in my room. I didn't have any major issues with this setup until I tried to get into things like port forwarding, where it got pretty tricky. While I didn't experience the issue, many people told me that I would see worse performance using a long cable, although i'm skeptical myself if that was the case.

The only part that concerns me about what you want to do is dragging the wire through the vents. That sounds really sketchy to me, and the last thing you'd want is the wire to melt or something when you're blasting the heater in the middle of winter.

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:27 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Heat, I agree with you. But I'm going to be out of this house (Parent's house) well before we need heat, September is the latest I'm staying. AC Vents my Neighbor has done in the passed and it worked just fine. Luckily, there's no snaking through vents either, as its a straight shot down 2 stories to the basement so there's only about 20ft of cable (No connections) exposed. In actuality I can get away with 50ft cable.