HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

ThinkPad T60 Motherboard Question

Old
06-03-2010, 03:27 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
ThinkPad T60 Motherboard Question

I've had a T60 for 4 years, love it. Yesterday it bluescreened and said 'memory parity error.' When I tried to restart later, gave me 4 loud beeps and the screen stayed black. I initially thought it was memory, so I took out each card individually and tried to start from the other one, and also took it to Best Buy, borrowed a memory card, and tried to start from that one. Same result.

So the Best Buy guy told me it was a motherboard problem and I tend to agree. I don't want to buy a new laptop until next year (going back to school) and funds are a bit tight right now, so I'm kind of in a quandary. I feel like I have 2 options.

1) Buy a netbook
2) Replace the motherboard on my T60. I've never replaced a motherboard or anything like that though. I feel like it would be pretty straightforward, but I don't know for sure and I'm also not sure how much a good one would cost.

So if anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:55 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Many notebooks have integrated RAM soldered on board. It's likely bad, which is unfortunate because that's the first memory space that will be used.

If you can ever get back into the system, Check the BIOS and see if you can disable it. Also check while you are in the BIOS if you can disable video memory sharing between RAM and the integrated graphics port.

I wouldn't be afraid of changing a board but you have to ask yourself is the laptop worth it. I'd be surprised if the board was less than 100$. What's the notebook itself worth?

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:04 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Many notebooks have integrated RAM soldered on board. It's likely bad, which is unfortunate because that's the first memory space that will be used.

If you can ever get back into the system, Check the BIOS and see if you can disable it. Also check while you are in the BIOS if you can disable video memory sharing between RAM and the integrated graphics port.

I wouldn't be afraid of changing a board but you have to ask yourself is the laptop worth it. I'd be surprised if the board was less than 100$. What's the notebook itself worth?
I can't even get into BIOS because I just get a black screen when I turn it on and then it shuts back down, but the screen itself doesn't even turn on.

I may just go for a netbook, looks like I could get a Lenovo for under $300, considering the cheapest motherboard I've seen that looks like it would work would be $150, it's probably just worth it to buy the netbook for a year or two.

Now my debate is whether I pay $500 for a nice laptop and try to get a few years out of it or spend $280 on the netbook and plan on most likely getting a laptop in 18 months.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:14 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I may just go for a netbook, looks like I could get a Lenovo for under $300, considering the cheapest motherboard I've seen that looks like it would work would be $150, it's probably just worth it to buy the netbook for a year or two.
What do you do on your laptop?

As for the bolded part, I wouldn't pay that. I'd get a new system.

EDIT: you could probably sell your dead T60 online as is and get some cash that way. Probably a lot of people out there who could use the working monitor, cd drive, etc. Wipe the HD first and sell it separately, or just keep it.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote