Wild begins pro meetings, bringing in draft-eligible players

Old
06-03-2010, 04:06 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Wild begins pro meetings, bringing in draft-eligible players

Russo's latest blog (read here) - highlights:

-The team is starting to go through meetings about the draft and free agency.

-Bouchard is lightly exercising.

-Russo expects the team to not spend on free agents and use trades.

-He expects to take the BPA regardless of position:
Quote:
The Wild's convinced it will get a solid player even down at No. 9, and even though the Wild's short on upper-echelon forwards in the system, it will look to take the best player available no matter his position. I've gotten a lot of questions asking if they'd definitely take a forward, and the answer is: If there's a sure-thing defenseman or goalie available and he's next on their list, yes, they'd take the defenseman or goalie.
-10 minute overtime is on the table at the GM meetings. I would love to see that happen, but as Russo states it still has a long way to go.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Good to hear about Bouchard.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 07:32 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

It is good news.

But the bad news is that his contract is killing us.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 07:58 PM
mnwildgophers

At this rate, how is Butch going to be even close to being ready to play for us at the beginning of next year? He was gone for about a year and a half...

Secondly, I'd like to think that we will pick a forward with the #9 pick, but I guess we can't be choosy. I've voiced my opinion many a time that I hope we don't take another defenseman, but as an organization we do need to take any prospect that will eventually help us out as that's been our Achilles heel.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 08:03 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

My only question to that tidbit is if there is such a thing as a "surefire" goalie?

Old
06-03-2010, 08:21 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
yeah I would be skeptical about drafting a goalie early. The BPA thing irks me--of course they're going to take the best player available. But define that--leddy was the BPA last year.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 09:12 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
yeah I would be skeptical about drafting a goalie early. The BPA thing irks me--of course they're going to take the best player available. But define that--leddy was the BPA last year.

What is so wrong with the Leddy pick? Its not like they took AJ Thelen again...

Old
06-03-2010, 09:40 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
What is so wrong with the Leddy pick? Its not like they took AJ Thelen again...
Thelen was a bust, but wasn't he ranked pretty high by central scouting? leddy didn't even have that going for him...not at where we picked him. Time will tell.

Old
06-03-2010, 09:52 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Disagree... Butch's best season was last season... just by not playing! If only Sheppard could follow suit...

Quote:
Thelen was a bust, but wasn't he ranked pretty high by central scouting? leddy didn't even have that going for him...not at where we picked him. Time will tell.
Central scouting doesn't always get it right either. Blake Wheeler was once projected by Central Scouting to be a late first/early 2nd... he went 5th and now he's tearing it up like a 5th overall player.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 10:43 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Central scouting doesn't always get it right either. Blake Wheeler was once projected by Central Scouting to be a late first/early 2nd... he went 5th and now he's tearing it up like a 5th overall player.
Oh, i know. I was just saying at least they had that going for them when picking Thelen. I think his draft position and scouting rank lined up a little better.

we had the 12th pick. we could have taken Zach Kassian who i think would have fit perfectly in the final product they're trying to build here.

Old
06-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
-Bouchard is lightly exercising.
That's a great news to know, not sure if he will start the season though. I always liked Bouchard.

I really hope he can keep his style of play before his injury..

Quote:
Disagree... Butch's best season was last season... just by not playing! If only Sheppard could follow suit...

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:52 PM
BigT2002

The OT thing is awesome!

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:03 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

central scouting is just an opinion...like redline, like Mckeen's, like The Scouting Report, etc.

I think Thelen was a top 10 guy in 04...

Remember we took Burns about 20 picks ahead of where most thought he'd go. The Wild brass last year thought that Leddy's lack of exposure playing at EP contributed to his "under the radar" status.

But its not like they reached per se...he has elite skating, he tested comparably, if not better than his peers at the combine, etc. All are factors which led to the decision.
You could argue he should have gone to the USHL (or CHL for that matter) instead of stepping in at the U right away. To me, he didn't really start to contribute to til late in the season, and he did lose two months to a broken jaw.

We weren't the only ones, Chicago tried to trade up to get him Draft Day last year...

Old
06-04-2010, 12:06 AM
State of Hockey

Quote:
The BPA thing irks me--of course they're going to take the best player available. But define that--leddy was the BPA last year.
Yep, that bugs me too. Leddy shouldn't have been the BPA at #16, let alone #12. It doesn't give me anymore hope now that lead-feet Flahr is running the draft.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:23 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
central scouting is just an opinion...like redline, like Mckeen's, like The Scouting Report, etc.

I think Thelen was a top 10 guy in 04...

Remember we took Burns about 20 picks ahead of where most thought he'd go. The Wild brass last year thought that Leddy's lack of exposure playing at EP contributed to his "under the radar" status.

But its not like they reached per se...he has elite skating, he tested comparably, if not better than his peers at the combine, etc. All are factors which led to the decision.
You could argue he should have gone to the USHL (or CHL for that matter) instead of stepping in at the U right away. To me, he didn't really start to contribute to til late in the season, and he did lose two months to a broken jaw.

We weren't the only ones, Chicago tried to trade up to get him Draft Day last year...
i normally don't ask (because i absolutely hate having to look up stuff I know i've seen--i'm lazy that way) but could you point me to something that reports that? I've seen the same information (I think) but it seems to mutate...from Chicago was interested in him, to the ambiguous "this deal wouldn't get done without him" (could mean they just weren't going to trade barker straight up for UFA Johnsson, making Leddy a key piece of the deal) now to they tried to trade up to get him.

They did reach. Granted we needed a Schroeder type less than we did Leddy, but he is still a better player IMO. (if we're assuming the Wild were going to take a Minnesotan as a PR stunt).

I again point to Zack Kassian--tell me he would not fill a greater need for the wild than Leddy. He adds a bit of skill, size, and a lot of grit.

Old
06-04-2010, 12:30 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
The OT thing is awesome!
Hell yeah! If they could keep teams playing hard in OT instead of playing ultra careful it would be even better.

maybe if the game was decided:

in OT play: 2 pts winner, 1 pt loser
in shootout: 2 pts winner, 0 pts loser

I think that would go a ways to keeping teams from sandbagging and playing too carefully in OT. If it did get to the SO, it would make it all the more ... interesting.

Old
06-04-2010, 01:16 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

I hate how shootouts decide games, but I hate winners getting less points even more. If you win, you win... period.

If they don't like the current system, then scrap the points system altogether and go by what every other sports league in existence goes by... win/loss %.

The NHL is the only league that goes by points, and the NHL is the only league that has a problem with teams not playing hard to win late, Coincidence? Not at all!

Old
06-04-2010, 01:58 AM
mnwildgophers

People make the case that the game shouldn't be decided by what amounts to a skills competition which I do understand, but all of these extra points don't really make sense. I get that they can't continue to play overtimes, and ties really suck so there's not much of a good way to go about it.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:14 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I hate how shootouts decide games, but I hate winners getting less points even more. If you win, you win... period.

If they don't like the current system, then scrap the points system altogether and go by what every other sports league in existence goes by... win/loss %.

The NHL is the only league that goes by points, and the NHL is the only league that has a problem with teams not playing hard to win late, Coincidence? Not at all!
There's the MLS and most soccer leagues (with the even more screwed up 3 points for a win and 1 for a tie), but then again that also helps your case.

Old
06-04-2010, 02:28 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

MLS and soccer count as a sport around here?

Old
06-04-2010, 02:32 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

They get their month every four years.

Old
06-04-2010, 09:04 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Wasn't the new regime heavily relying on Tommy Boy's draft analysis last season?

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Oh come on, Bouchard has a ton of talent and would give us 15g and 45a on an average year. That's more than Ebbett and Brodziak would give us combined.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 03:46 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Does anybody have PMB's career FO% stat? I'm having a hell of a time tracking it down. Thanks.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 03:57 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Good/Bad news with Bouchard (new Russo blog)

Quote:
You can read more in Saturday's newspaper, but Bouchard said he's "pretty positive" he'll be able to play next season, but "you never know." He says there's been definite progression, but even though he's got good days, there are also times where the pressure in his head and other symptoms return.