Notices

Spezza available

Old
06-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Body Checker

vCash: 500
Spezza available

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=323476.

Could or should we do it? Two 7 million players in Spezza and Iginla. I would look at it if I was Sutter.

Regehr, White, Stajan, Nemisz for Spezza, Campoli, Zack Smith

or take White and Campoli out.

What kind of deal makes sense from both sides? Keep in mind Spezza's value is downgraded due to the contract much like Phaneuf's value was.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:46 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=323476.

Could or should we do it? Two 7 million players in Spezza and Iginla. I would look at it if I was Sutter.

Regehr, White, Stajan, Nemisz for Spezza, Campoli, Zack Smith

or take White and Campoli out.

What kind of deal makes sense from both sides? Keep in mind Spezza's value is downgraded due to the contract much like Phaneuf's value was.
I would never want spezza on my team. He makes too many poor decisions and has way to many turnovers. Though his talent is through the roof, his toughness and complacency is not enough to cut it on this team.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Stats79

Regehr would likely have to be part of the deal. Spezza's stock may have dropped since Heatley left...but it's nice to know there's a legit #1 center out there.

Stats79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:50 PM
FLAMES666

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
I would never want spezza on my team. He makes too many poor decisions and has way to many turnovers. Though his talent is through the roof, his toughness and complacency is not enough to cut it on this team.
Your right Calgary doesn't need a PPG player who can pass the puck!

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:50 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
I would not do that deal. If we still had Phaneuf, it would be possible, but I am not in favour of losing Regehr, White (aka two of our best defensemen), and one of the best prospects the Flames have to upgrade Stajan.

Not only that but you're going to get a bunch of Sens fans saying "BACKLUND, NEMISZ, AND MORE OR BUST" which just makes a bad deal for both sides.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:51 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Why would Calgary make that deal? I could see some interest in Spezza, but not a deal like that. Spezza maybe the best asset in the deal, but of the rest Calgary gives up the next three best assets, which makes it a loser for the Flames. I actually think Ottawa would be tickled pink to make that deal and Sutter would be the one to say no.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:58 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Your right Calgary doesn't need a PPG player who can pass the puck!
You ignored what I said. Trust me I watch him play a lot. I understand he has a lot of what calgary needs in terms of offensive talent. But it's not worth the rest of the baggage...keep looking. If we have to give up a bunch to land a #1 then make sure it is the right guy. Spezza is not the right guy

Old
06-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Stats79

Quote:
You ignored what I said. Trust me I watch him play a lot. I understand he has a lot of what calgary needs in terms of offensive talent. But it's not worth the rest of the baggage...keep looking. If we have to give up a bunch to land a #1 then make sure it is the right guy. Spezza is not the right guy
Not disagreeing....but who do you consider the "right guy"?

Stats79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats79 View Post
he thinks Jordan Staal and his >30 assists and >50 points is the right guy... but a PPG player in Spezza isn't good enough

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:03 PM
FLAMES666

Quote:
They can't afford to be picky on what playmaker they are going to bring on to the team. It is hard enough to get one and now you want narrow down the choices.

Old
06-03-2010, 04:15 PM
StreakingRed
#unsustainable

I don't think I'd make that particular deal (giving up Regehr AND White wouldn't be the smartest thing to do), but you're damn right I'd be interested in Spezza coming here. PPG player who is young, has skill and most importantly is what we need - a #1 Center.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Speculation

Acquiring Spezza would take alot of weaseling on Sutter's part, first you need to find the cap to retain Ian White before you commit 7 Mill to acquiring Spezza. But even then negotiating rights for White may be on the table in Sutter's mind.

I could see Reggie in a deal involving Spezza, but Ottawa would need to take some cap back in one or more of Kotalik, Langkow, Staios or Sarich. Those four players alone off the Calgary books would open up so many options including retaining White and acquiring a top line forward.

The idea of Nemisz Backlund and the rest of our barn is nice, but it doesn't change our cap situation to the point where this is even reasonable.

I for one would love to see Spezza here, but we don't exactly splurge on top end forwards outside of Iggy. I think even Jokinen was a stretch for Sutter at 5 mill. "Scoring by Committee" was the philosophy.

I think B Murray is a guy who is fairly empathetic with getting his players traded when they've turned sour on the town and the team. He also listens to his fan base when they've turned a player into the village idiot.

Example: Heatley trade: Cheechoo ended up in the minors and Michalek was basically the center piece of the deal in terms of what Ottawa was getting. So I definitely don't think its unreasonable for Murray to be open to a package deal with Regehr and Kotalik/Langkow and maybe a pick.

Toronto may offer Kaberle but I have a hard time seeing an inter-divisional trade. Then again Staios happened!

I definitely agree that Calgary isn't exactly in a position to be "picky" if we want a top 6 forward.

Last edited by Speculation: 06-03-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Speculation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 50
I'd love to add Spezza, injury concerns be damned.

As for the trade proposal in the first post, I don't think the Flames can afford to lose both White and Regehr. Drop White and Campoli.

Last edited by Calculon: 06-03-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:34 PM
BurnEmUp

Any Flame fan that wouldn't want Spezza is out of his/her mind.

Quit thinking that the "perfect" player is gonna fall from the sky, and land in Sutter's lap.

Who cares if Spezza comes with defensive concerns? The guy is at worst a point per game player. Not only is he capable of scoring 30+ himself, but he's got the skill set to probably help get Iginla back up to 40+ territory. Heck, you could throw Dawes on the LW of that line and HE'D probably score 20.

Spezza is also a good face-off guy, only 27, and signed right through his prime years.

I thought I read somewhere, that since the lock-out only Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin and Thornton have better PPG stats than Spezza.

BurnEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:57 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats79 View Post
I would like Jordan Staal or Marleau. I think we have a better chance at landing marleau, Sutter does a good job at bringinh in FA's and at a good price.

People can say what they want about Spezza's stats, and yes they are great (Heater and alffie def inflate them). But as a Sens fan after watching his career there, I would always say no. Unless of course he was the only possible centre we could aquire before the fall.

Last edited by The Gnome: 06-03-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old
06-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
I would like Jordan Staal or Marleau. I think we have a better chance at landing marleau, Sutter does a good job at bringinh in FA's and at a good price.

People can say what they want about Spezza's stats, and yes they are great (Heater and alffie def inflate them). But as a Sens fan after watching his career there, I would always say no. Unless of course he was the only possible centre we could aquire before the fall.
1. Marleau & Staal are not creative playmaking centers that we need

2. Marleau isnt even a center anymore

3. Spezza is a better playmaker and more creative than both put together

Old
06-03-2010, 06:09 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
1. Marleau & Staal are not creative playmaking centers that we need

2. Marleau isnt even a center anymore

3. Spezza is a better playmaker and more creative than both put together
1. We already had this argument and all you know about Staal is the stats. He can do everything for a team, and has very high potential.

2. so... you and I both agree that having a top flight LW would be awesome as well

3. You ignore the fact that spezza comes with a ton of downside.

Old
06-03-2010, 06:14 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Best creative playmaker at center available for nothing is Plekanec. Sutter should go hard after him and then move out the likes of Langkow and Sarich to free up the money.

Old
06-03-2010, 06:36 PM
BurnEmUp

Plekanec scares the heck outta me. He's going to cost close to $5 million on the open market and shows some inconsistancy.

He went from 69 points, to 39 points and back up to 70 again this year. Honestly, I'd rather hang onto Langkow and seee if he can rebound, than sign to Plekanec to a big contract. Just my opinion.

BurnEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
2. so... you and I both agree that having a top flight LW would be awesome as well

You don't think Spezza would be good for this team but bring up a top flight winger who never scored more than 60 points until he had Joe Thornton as his centre?

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 07:00 PM
FLAMES666

Quote:

So basically you want another 2nd line center, or a player over 30 and well past his prime over a 1st line playmaking center in his prime.

Old
06-03-2010, 07:02 PM
FLAMES666

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnEmUp View Post
Plekanec scares the heck outta me. He's going to cost close to $5 million on the open market and shows some inconsistancy.

He went from 69 points, to 39 points and back up to 70 again this year. Honestly, I'd rather hang onto Langkow and seee if he can rebound, than sign to Plekanec to a big contract. Just my opinion.
I agree signing Plekanec will just add to our cap problems in the future and knowing Sutter he would probably give him a NTC!

Old
06-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
1. We already had this argument and all you know about Staal is the stats. He can do everything for a team, and has very high potential.

1. Staal is over raed and will cost as much as Spezza to acquire and not add anything we don't already have

2. no, signing Marleau is pointless, he was no better than Langkow before Thornton

3. not ignoring anything... i know all about his downsides... thats why you play a guy like Bourque or Hagman on LW to help sure up the line defensively... and hold onto Backlund and STajan for depth behind him for when he is hurt

Old
06-03-2010, 07:16 PM
chadillac77

Having Spezzdespenser and Iggy on the same line would be a bad idea? Haha Not a

chance, that line would absolutely haul ass no matter who was on the wing with Iggy

and Spezza. I would incorporate a way to have Volchenkovs rights sent to Calgary as

well in the deal. That way we could get another shut down d-man to place on roster.
How about :
Calgary Flames

Regehr
Nemisz
Stajan

For

Spezza
Volchenkov(rights to sign him)
+ (Player?)

But truth betold, i would much rather see thorton come over from San Jose in a deal:

Thorton
+Player/Pick?

For

Regehr
Stajan
Nemisz

I like the sounds of that, And if we could deal something to ottawa to get the right to sign Volchenkov?
Then maybe we could end up trading Langkow and Sarich/Staois to a team for a D-man or a Pick or Another forward?

chadillac77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 08:52 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnEmUp View Post

Langkow has gone from 67 to 49 to 37 points. He is no longer a top six player and would hold Iginla back further, if that is possible. He's 36 years old and has lost a step in each of his last two seasons. At $4.5M he's a guy you try and move and replace upon.

I'm not certain why so many people are trying to move Stajan. He's still young and is a very capable 2nd line center to fill in until Backlund proves capable of filling that role. He does everything Langkow does, for less money, and is a decade younger. He's on a good contract and is a keeper for a team trying to build some depth. Seriously, Plekanec, Stajan, Backlund and Sutter would be a pretty good group of centers and fill out the team quite well.