Spezza available

Old
06-03-2010, 08:55 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Van Whalen View Post
Langkow has gone from 67 to 49 to 37 points. He is no longer a top six player and would hold Iginla back further, if that is possible. He's 36 years old and has lost a step in each of his last two seasons. At $4.5M he's a guy you try and move and replace upon.

I'm not certain why so many people are trying to move Stajan. He's still young and is a very capable 2nd line center to fill in until Backlund proves capable of filling that role. He does everything Langkow does, for less money, and is a decade younger. He's on a good contract and is a keeper for a team trying to build some depth. Seriously, Plekanec, Stajan, Backlund and Sutter would be a pretty good group of centers and fill out the team quite well.
Langkow is not 36 for starters and Plekanec will get over 5 million as a UFA, which is a huge overpayment.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 09:06 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=323476.

Could or should we do it? Two 7 million players in Spezza and Iginla. I would look at it if I was Sutter.

Regehr, White, Stajan, Nemisz for Spezza, Campoli, Zack Smith

or take White and Campoli out.

What kind of deal makes sense from both sides? Keep in mind Spezza's value is downgraded due to the contract much like Phaneuf's value was.
Campoli was the #6 guy in Ottawa. When you say the bolded statement, it is like saying that White has equal value to Campoli, ludicrous.

I would not do it. I would focus on:
a) targeting a bigger, 60+ point, good skating LW to compliment Stajan-Iginla. (allowing a Hagman - ???? - Bourque #2)
b) trading Langkow, then bringing in a FA centre, or trade Langkow + for a better centre making under 5M.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Stats79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnEmUp View Post
Who cares if Spezza comes with defensive concerns?
my thoughts as well. A legit #1 center / playmaker....I can be forgiving if we have a player with scoring talent having a sub-superstar defensive reputation

Stats79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:42 AM
Stats79

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac77 View Post
. I would incorporate a way to have Volchenkovs rights sent to Calgary as

well in the deal. That way we could get another shut down d-man to place on roster.
How about :
Calgary Flames

Regehr
Nemisz
Stajan

For

Spezza
Volchenkov(rights to sign him)
+ (Player?)

I like they players you want to bring in, and we got to give to get. I think it's a gamble to assume after making this deal, that another team will jump up to take out salary dumps to even things out.

Stats79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 01:14 AM
GoFlames

If we could get Spezza but not give up quite so much and salary cvap hits balance do it in a heart beat.... finally talent and a play maker for Iginla.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 01:18 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 137
I'd love to have spezza, why is everyone being so picky? When the ever elusive #1 C becomes avaiable, you jump at it. Something around regehr, one of nemisz/backlund, and maybe langkow? Idk, seeing as Calgary always seems to be in a "win now" situation, I can see sutter offering the likes of backlund+Regehr +

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 01:20 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
I would like Jordan Staal or Marleau. I think we have a better chance at landing marleau, Sutter does a good job at bringinh in FA's and at a good price.

People can say what they want about Spezza's stats, and yes they are great (Heater and alffie def inflate them). But as a Sens fan after watching his career there, I would always say no. Unless of course he was the only possible centre we could aquire before the fall.
Spezza >> Staal, Spezza > Marleau and Spezza is a real centre who is an outstanding play maker. I bet Iginla is saying his prayers that Sutter gets Spezza.

Old
06-04-2010, 01:48 AM
mrdonkey

If Spezza can't take the scrutiny and negative attention he gets in Ottawa, why on earth would he want to come here?

Besides, I really don't think we have anything Ottawa wants, especially in comparison to what other teams would be offering.

mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 01:50 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

I'm with TG on this one.

There are other centers out there who will come cheaper (Staal be damned) and who will still improve the Flames.

The Flames don't need a PPG guy like Spezza. I'd rather go after a guy like Pavelski, Plekanec, or Ribiero and not have to worry about giving up both White and Reggie or Backlund.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:16 AM
tfong

Not my first choice but hey, Spezza would definitely bring a new dynamic to our game. We have enough turnovers anyways, adding a few more won't hurt much especially if it means we get a few more goals anyways. It'd be good for the Flames to have a puck hog too, too many of our own guys throw it away the first chance we get anyways.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:49 AM
The Gaud Father

vCash: 1535
I would do Regehr + Stajan + Brodie for Spezza and Campoli

The Gaud Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 08:10 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Langkow is not 36 for starters and Plekanec will get over 5 million as a UFA, which is a huge overpayment.
Whoops. Langkow's 34 and will be 36 when his contract is up. Sadly, Langkow is playing like a 36 year old going on 70. I would happily pay Plekanec an extra half a million more than Langkow. Plekanec would at least be able to keep up with Iginla and provide some speed for the defenders to worry about. Langkow is bordering on Brad Marsh slow. It's time for him to move along.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 08:12 AM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
I'd love to have spezza, why is everyone being so picky?+
Picky? What this team needs is a solid goal scorer and play maker, who is defensively responsible first, can play on both the power play and penalty kill, is physical against the opposition and occasionally willing to fight, infectiously passionate while playing but also disciplined so he never get penalized (except rare occasions where it's the ref's fault) and he must have a history of staying healthy. Otherwise, no dice.

How is that picky?

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 08:27 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulj43r View Post
I would do Regehr + Stajan + Brodie for Spezza and Campoli
I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. Campoli is horrible and is a RFA looking for a big raise. On our blueline he would be a bottom pairing guy and we're trying to trim the fat on the bottom pair, not add to it.

Moving Regehr would make our blueline one massive question mark, and you don't need a question mark on the blueline with Spezza on the ice. Until Giordano proves last season was not a fluke you do not move Regehr. You need a core of four defensemen you can count on to play your top minutes. Bouwmeester, Regehr, White and Giordano appear to be those guys, with Giordano still being unproven. Take Regehr out of the mix and you see Sarich move into the mix. Take Giordano out and you see Staios move up. People don't seem to appreciate the type of minutes Regehr gets and how hard he is to replace. Who steps in and plays the shutdown role? Who on our blueline would scare anyone? I'd rather have Regehr than Spezza, and that is without considering the loss of Stajan (under-rated center) and Brodie.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
I'd love to have Spezza on this team. The same could be said for any #1 PPG center. I'd rather take a shot with Marleau through FA first.

Bouwmeester has done wonders as my #1 center on NHL 10

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 09:33 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
You don't think Spezza would be good for this team but bring up a top flight winger who never scored more than 60 points until he had Joe Thornton as his centre?
buddy take a look at who spezza played with for so many years

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 09:40 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
So basically you want another 2nd line center, or a player over 30 and well past his prime over a 1st line playmaking center in his prime.
It is Staal's potential I want. The only way it works to bring him in though is to get rid of dead weight Langkow. Then you have the competition between Staal, Stajan, and Backlund for positioning. This is a great scenario for an organization because they get the best results out of competing young players. Staal's overall game is very good, he can do everything and givin the chance could wind up being #1. Then you have a good long contract for 4mil.

haha you must be joking about Marleau right? He was one of the best forwards for the sharks in the playoffs, played on team canada, and was a better overall player for the last 2 years then he ever was. Marleau is > spezza and if you watch spezza regularly you would know that.

Old
06-04-2010, 09:42 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
1. Staal is over raed and will cost as much as Spezza to acquire and not add anything we don't already have

2. no, signing Marleau is pointless, he was no better than Langkow before Thornton

3. not ignoring anything... i know all about his downsides... thats why you play a guy like Bourque or Hagman on LW to help sure up the line defensively... and hold onto Backlund and STajan for depth behind him for when he is hurt
the first two points makes me feel that your just talking with your head in the sand

3. This is a legit point, and you might be right. However Spezza has some pretty bad turnovers...and I mean bad.

Old
06-04-2010, 09:44 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Having Spezzdespenser and Iggy on the same line would be a bad idea? Haha Not a

chance, that line would absolutely haul ass no matter who was on the wing with Iggy

and Spezza. I would incorporate a way to have Volchenkovs rights sent to Calgary as

well in the deal. That way we could get another shut down d-man to place on roster.
How about :
Calgary Flames

Regehr
Nemisz
Stajan

For

Spezza
+ (Player?)

But truth betold, i would much rather see thorton come over from San Jose in a deal:

Thorton
+Player/Pick?

For

Regehr
Stajan
Nemisz

I like the sounds of that, And if we could deal something to ottawa to get the right to sign Volchenkov?
Then maybe we could end up trading Langkow and Sarich/Staois to a team for a D-man or a Pick or Another forward?
mmmmmmmm...my mouth is watering

Old
06-04-2010, 09:58 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Having Spezzdespenser and Iggy on the same line would be a bad idea? Haha Not a

chance, that line would absolutely haul ass no matter who was on the wing with Iggy

and Spezza. I would incorporate a way to have Volchenkovs rights sent to Calgary as

How about :
Calgary Flames

Regehr
Nemisz
Stajan

For

Spezza
+ (Player?)

But truth betold, i would much rather see thorton come over from San Jose in a deal:

Thorton
+Player/Pick?

For

Regehr
Stajan
Nemisz

I like the sounds of that, And if we could deal something to ottawa to get the right to sign Volchenkov?
Then maybe we could end up trading Langkow and Sarich/Staois to a team for a D-man or a Pick or Another forward?
Plan A looks good but no way to Thornton.... totally over rated. Spezza did not ahve Heatley on his line this year and he did just fine. Imagine a line of (Backlund?) - Spezza - Iginla... great potential indeed.

Old
06-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
the first two points makes me feel that your just talking with your head in the sand

3. This is a legit point, and you might be right. However Spezza has some pretty bad turnovers...and I mean bad.
how exactly is this having my head in the sand? Staal is a 2nd liner... and 2nd liner that shoots more than he passes... with the exception of size, age and position he is actually a player very comparable to Rene Bourque... Staal is not a creative playmaking center... I don't care what you seem to think because you are the only one that sees him as that

and as for Marleau... look at their last 3 seasons pre Iginla and Thornton... Langkow only played 2 more games in this stretch

Langkow had 68 goals and 166 points
Marleau had 77 goals and 158 points

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:16 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
how exactly is this having my head in the sand? Staal is a 2nd liner... and 2nd liner that shoots more than he passes... with the exception of size, age and position he is actually a player very comparable to Rene Bourque... Staal is not a creative playmaking center... I don't care what you seem to think because you are the only one that sees him as that

and as for Marleau... look at their last 3 seasons pre Iginla and Thornton... Langkow only played 2 more games in this stretch

+1 to that

Old
06-04-2010, 10:18 AM
The Gnome

Quote:

1. I watch Staal and you obviously do not. He is not a legit #1 playmaker, but he could turn into that.

2. What has Langkow done for me lately, not in the past. Marleau > Langkow. If you don't think that then I cannot argue with you anymore.

Old
06-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
1. I watch Staal and you obviously do not. He is not a legit #1 playmaker, but he could turn into that.

2. What has Langkow done for me lately, not in the past. Marleau > Langkow. If you don't think that then I cannot argue with you anymore.
Staal will NEVER be a #1 playmaker... you need to get a ****ing clue man

and I never said Langkow was better than Marleau now... learn to read... I said before Thornton was his linemate, Marleau was no better than Langkow... which he wasn't... is Marleau better than Langkow now? Yes... but that was never being argued... the question is how much will not playing with Thorton hurt Marleau's numbers

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:31 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Staal will NEVER be a #1 playmaker... you need to get a ****ing clue man

and I never said Langkow was better than Marleau now... learn to read... I said before Thornton was his linemate, Marleau was no better than Langkow... which he wasn't... is Marleau better than Langkow now? Yes... but that was never being argued... the question is how much will not playing with Thorton hurt Marleau's numbers
ok?

How much would playing with Iggy be good for Marleau? Pretty good, maybe? I'll let you awnser that.

Why won't Staal be that good, oh because you've seen him play on the third line in Pittspurgh so much. So obviously you would know.