Notices

Spezza available

Old
06-04-2010, 02:08 PM
The Gnome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Well Regehr going would leave a massive void of a minute eating top pairing D man. Carkner is ok but does not commonly play against top lines and plays less minutes. Raw cap hits can be deceiving. Reggie for what he brings ia a bargain. Carkner maybe but for roughly the same cash we could bring up Pelech. I would rather picks than Carkner imo.
Good point...You do have to hope that Pelech can hack it though. From what little we've seen him play up he looks like he could turn into a Regehr.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:14 PM
GoFlames

Very easily a solid a second pairing guy. I think I am dreaming if he could turn into a top pairing D man but one never knows. The old cliche of defencemen taking longer to develop...

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:15 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Good point...You do have to hope that Pelech can hack it though. From what little we've seen him play up he looks like he could turn into a Regehr.
We could also look at some UFA D men to replace him, I think Michalek from Phoneix could be a nice fit, and probably around 3 million a season.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:17 PM
jtommyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Well Regehr going would leave a massive void of a minute eating top pairing D man. Carkner is ok but does not commonly play against top lines and plays less minutes. Raw cap hits can be deceiving. Reggie for what he brings ia a bargain. Carkner maybe but for roughly the same cash we could bring up Pelech. I would rather picks than Carkner imo.
I'd be okay with a pick instead of Carkner too. Sarich would suddenly be our top shutdown guy though, and I'm not sure that he can play those kind of minutes.

He seems to be most effective when he's right around the 18-20 minute range.

With Sarich, Staios, Pardy, and Carkner, at least we'd have a committee of decent NHL shut-down guys.

jtommyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:21 PM
jtommyt

Quote:
I don't know I think that might be rushing backlund a bit. I think he should start as #3 and bust his hump to come up past Stajan. Don't just give it to him make him earn it. Then worry about having Stajan there or not.
I don't see 2nd line duty as rushing him. He was playing top line at the end of the season.

3rd line is a waste of his talent. You'd be asking him to demonstrate offensive development while passing to shut-down wingers.

I'd rather have him passing the puck to guys who can do something with it so that his confidence could grow.

Old
06-04-2010, 02:26 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtommyt View Post
I don't see 2nd line duty as rushing him. He was playing top line at the end of the season.

3rd line is a waste of his talent. You'd be asking him to demonstrate offensive development while passing to shut-down wingers.

I'd rather have him passing the puck to guys who can do something with it so that his confidence could grow.
yeah I know this sounds negative but after last years exhibit of talent. I don't know if he is going to have much to pass to regardless of where he plays. He is still young and has sooooo much time. Plus if we keep our depth in the wings he'll have the same level of talent to pass to as the other centres.

Regardless you are right about helping his confidence. So wherever he plays the chemistry has to mix well, or he could head south.

Old
06-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I would do this deal for sure. As soon as I heard Spezza may be available I was sure as hell hoping Calgary would be in the running for him. I am positive Sutter will try and inquire. I am hoping that the deal would include Regehr and possibly Kotalik. If not Kotalik then Langkow. If Langkow would not be unloaded in that deal,and if we got still got Speeza then that seal Langkows fate as a Flame. He would be dealt somewhere else for sure.

Last edited by Johnny Hoxville: 06-07-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:36 PM
jtommyt

Quote:
yeah I know this sounds negative but after last years exhibit of talent. I don't know if he is going to have much to pass to regardless of where he plays. He is still young and has sooooo much time. Plus if we keep our depth in the wings he'll have the same level of talent to pass to as the other centres.

Regardless you are right about helping his confidence. So wherever he plays the chemistry has to mix well, or he could head south.
IF (and it's a huge if...) Spezza were here, I'm guessing the lines would look something like:

Hagman Spezza Iginla
Bourque Backlund Kotalik

Hagman and Kotalik have both been pretty decent scorers in the past, and with Iggy and Bourque to prop those lines up, the offense should be there.

Old
06-04-2010, 02:46 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
IF (and it's a huge if...) Spezza were here, I'm guessing the lines would look something like:

Hagman Spezza Iginla
Bourque Backlund Kotalik

Hagman and Kotalik have both been pretty decent scorers in the past, and with Iggy and Bourque to prop those lines up, the offense should be there.
You think Playing Backlund on the 3rd line is a waste of talent? Then what is playing Stajan who just signed a 3.5 million contract to play the third line. Stajan is currently a better player then Backlund and most likely they will switch the lines up but Stajan will be the number 2 center for a majority of the time.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:48 PM
jtommyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
You think Playing Backlund on the 3rd line is a waste of talent? Then what is playing Stajan who just signed a 3.5 million contract to play the third line. Stajan is currently a better player then Backlund and most likely they will switch the lines up but Stajan will be the number 2 center for a majority of the time.
That's my point. It doesn't make sense to have both guys. If you can get a guy like Spezza, I think you'd have to include Stajan in the deal or he becomes expendable.

Old
06-04-2010, 02:51 PM
The Gnome

Quote:

Hagman Spezza Iginla
Bourque Backlund Kotalik

It looks good...I like the idea of Backlund playing with either Bourque, Hagman or Higgins. They'll bring up his work ethic quite a bit.

Though I don't like Spezza if he was here i would go...

Bourque Spezza Iginla
Hagman Stajan Kotalik
Higgins Backlund Moss
Nystrom Sutter Mayars (mayars and Sutter could flip for some FO's)

Old
06-04-2010, 03:09 PM
BurnEmUp

I like Bourque better on the 2nd line RW.

??????? - Spezza - Iginla
??????? - Stajan - Bourque
??????? - Backlund - Kotalik

Keep those as your pairings, and alternate LWers based on chemistry, who's hot etc....

Hagman, Dawes, Higgins (if re-signed) and maybe even Glencross could all see time on any of the top three lines.

BurnEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 03:16 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnEmUp View Post
I like Bourque better on the 2nd line RW.

??????? - Spezza - Iginla
??????? - Stajan - Bourque
??????? - Backlund - Kotalik

Keep those as your pairings, and alternate LWers based on chemistry, who's hot etc....

Hagman, Dawes, Higgins (if re-signed) and maybe even Glencross could all see time on any of the top three lines.
Plus if you move Bourque it brings back Glencross into my lineup...nice. If we keep it the way you have it I would like to See..

Hagman - Spezza - Iginla
Glencross- Stajan - Bourque
Higgins - Backlund - Kotalik
Nystrom- Sutter - Mayars (keep the flipping centre in mind)

I would rather see glenx in then moss.

Hagman,Higgins, Glencross keep the lines in defensive check. Higgins being the most responsible of the three I would put him with Backlund.

Old
06-04-2010, 03:35 PM
tfong

Quote:
Plus if you move Bourque it brings back Glencross into my lineup...nice. If we keep it the way you have it I would like to See..

Hagman - Spezza - Iginla
Glencross- Stajan - Bourque
Higgins - Backlund - Kotalik
Nystrom- Sutter - Mayars (keep the flipping centre in mind)

I would rather see glenx in then moss.

Hagman,Higgins, Glencross keep the lines in defensive check. Higgins being the most responsible of the three I would put him with Backlund.
Kotalik can't skate, you're just wasting Backlund's speed there.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 03:47 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
We could also look at some UFA D men to replace him, I think Michalek from Phoneix could be a nice fit, and probably around 3 million a season.
frig I missed that one, Michalek is awesome. My whole Volchenkov crush is fading. This is a nice alternate. If Regehr had to be used to land a #1 i would love this plan.

Old
06-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
buddy take a look at who spezza played with for so many years
So Marleau is a top flight winger, but Spezza is a product of his linemates? Or are you saying that they're both average scorers unless playing with elite playmakers or snipers respectively? If so, wouldn't putting Spezza with our sniper make more sense than putting Marleau in a position where he doesn't have an elite playmaker?

Start making sense.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 04:30 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
So Marleau is a top flight winger, but Spezza is a product of his linemates? Or are you saying that they're both average scorers unless playing with elite playmakers or snipers respectively? If so, wouldn't putting Spezza with our sniper make more sense than putting Marleau in a position where he doesn't have an elite playmaker?

Start making sense.
If you watch Spezza play then there would be no way you would rather have him then Marleau. Spezza is more creative yes, way more creative than most in the league.

But Marleau is better at everything else. Yes playmaking is an issue on this team but that doesn't mean I would go after a 1 dimensional player. If Spezza can improve on his defesive game as much as he did last year then I would take him, otherwise no thanks.

Old
06-04-2010, 04:39 PM
BurnEmUp

Quote:
Yes playmaking is an issue on this team but that doesn't mean I would go after a 1 dimensional player.
The Flames were 29th in offense this season.
The Flames were 6th in defense this season.

I would welcome Spezza, and his one dimension, with open arms. Especially when that one dimension will make Iginla more effective in his role as our top goal scorer. It would also make whoever you put on the LW of that line a more effective offensive player as well, whether it be Hagman, Bourque, Higgins, Dawes etc...

Plus, it pushes Stajan down to 2nd line center which is a perfect role for a 55ish point centerman getting paid $3.5 million. To take it even further, it drops Backlund down to a third line center role, where he can be sheltered a bit while he finds his NHL game.

Old
06-04-2010, 04:52 PM
h2owned

vCash: 400
The sens are right up against the cap and can't take on salary. No Langkow or Kotalik to Ottawa.

h2owned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 04:54 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnEmUp View Post
The Flames were 29th in offense this season.
The Flames were 6th in defense this season.

I would welcome Spezza, and his one dimension, with open arms. Especially when that one dimension will make Iginla more effective in his role as our top goal scorer. It would also make whoever you put on the LW of that line a more effective offensive player as well, whether it be Hagman, Bourque, Higgins, Dawes etc...

Plus, it pushes Stajan down to 2nd line center which is a perfect role for a 55ish point centerman getting paid $3.5 million. To take it even further, it drops Backlund down to a third line center role, where he can be sheltered a bit while he finds his NHL game.
Fair enough if thats the way you see building a winning team. The way I look at it is that everyone on my team should be great defensivly. Your best players should be your best players. Check out the D wings, Datsyuk and Zetterberg are there best defensive players.

I'm a huge Sens fan and I have spent more time complaining about Spezza than I have supporting him. Sure he'll get you points, but in the playoffs is where that magic will end...as a Sens fan it really hurts seeing them get so far and then falling on their face becasue Spezza or Alfredson cough the puck up.

If spezza is the only option we have for a #1 then fine i would take him. He'll improve our team for sure. But we'll never win a cup with him here.

Old
06-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Bobs your uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by C For Choke View Post
I would not do that deal. If we still had Phaneuf, it would be possible, but I am not in favour of losing Regehr, White (aka two of our best defensemen), and one of the best prospects the Flames have to upgrade Stajan.

Not only that but you're going to get a bunch of Sens fans saying "BACKLUND, NEMISZ, AND MORE OR BUST" which just makes a bad deal for both sides.
Are the Sen's supposed to give Spezza up for nothing?
Good grief.

Bobs your uncle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Bobs your uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBeforeMcGrattan View Post
Sens fan here.

I hope spezza is not serious about wanting a trade, but if he does then I was also thinking that you guys might be good partners since you could pair him with Iggy. With a top sniper, 90+ points is not out of the question for Spezza. He's never going to be physical or the best defensive player out there, but he's gotten more responsible this season and at times he can look pretty dominant out there.

I think our priority would be on getting a center back. Maybe Regehr+Langkow+a mid-level pick/prospect for Spezza+Carkner?

Am I way off in terms of value?
Flames take that offer and run!

Bobs your uncle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 05:14 PM
BurnEmUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owned View Post
The sens are right up against the cap and can't take on salary. No Langkow or Kotalik to Ottawa.
The Sens are not right up against the cap.

They have 17 full-time NHL players signed for next year and roughly $10.5 million in cap space. Regin, Foligno, Winchester and Campoli are the only RFA's they have that played regularily in the NHL last year, and none of them will be getting very big raises. Re-sign those four and that's 21 NHL regulars with roughly $5-6 million in cap space. They are in better cap shape than most teams that actually build teams that are up to the cap.

Old
06-04-2010, 07:50 PM
JurassicTunga

vCash: 575
I'd love to see

Tanguay - Spezza - Iginla
Hagman - Stajan - Bourque
Higgins - Backlund - Dawes
Nystrom - Sutter - Glencross

JurassicTunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
Backlund is kinda off limits so then you would be looking at someone on the farm. Take your pick...
Why is Backlund off limits? In the short time he was up here, Backlund showed us he had the talent. My issue with Backlund is consistency as he has never shown it thus far in his career. Backlund is certainly not off limits.

The best case scenario would be Spezza for Regehr, Langkow, and mid-level prospect.

Regehr and Backlund for Spezza is a decent deal as well as it would allow us to keep Langkow and we would have some toughness down the middle.

Regehr and Stajan for Spezza, I would be a little reluctant to do, but with a player like Spezza coming back, I'd still pull the trigger.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote