HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Flyer

Old
06-03-2010, 06:50 PM
UkFlyer

vCash: 500
New Flyer

Hi all,

Would just like to say that I have finally found an NHL team that i can support with a passion and the Philadelphia Flyers have a new fan from the UK.

I have been fluttering around NHL teams to find a team that i feel connected to. I have tried supporting the mapes but they just don't do it for me, but after watching this years playoffs i am hooked on the flyers.

Reasons why i felt a connection with the flyers:

I love there style of no-nonsence hockey
I love richards and prongers tenaciuos style of play(two fav players in the league)
Lindros and LeClair were my favourite NHL players to play with on the old playstation game(bit irrelevent but it all adds up)
I like the mad fan base.

All in all the flyers are a great fit for me and i feel proud to finally have a NHL team I can truely support( been staying up to 4am etc to watch the fly.ers games on the net in the post season.

A little bit about myself:

19 years old,studying at uni.
massive birmingham city fan(soccer- the flyers and birmingham seem to share the same type of morals)
my uncle is the Great Britain coach(yes i know they are not very good,lol) he is also the coach of coventry blaze who i watch regulary(had players like wade belak, Rumun Ndur)
My dad has acculmulated two life bans from hockey by the age of 20 and he was a netminder,the 1st of which was rescinded (the 1st one was for running into the crowd and swinging his hockey stick wildly trying to attack them)that was rescinded but then he got banned for attacking a players face with his goalie stick. Luckily he has mellowed with age!!

One final thing, LETS WIN THE STANLEY CUP

UkFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 06:56 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Welcome!

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 06:58 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Welcome to the team and the boards! We have a few British fans, as I'm sure you'll find out.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 07:04 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 691
Welcome to the mayhem.

I hope your dad's goalie stick is OK.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 07:10 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Welcome Friend!

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Raticuz

Cool, another member of the 4 a.m. club.

Raticuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Philadelphia Flames

welcome

Philadelphia Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 07:35 PM
ziotree

hi mate.

im a UK flyers fan too... have been for years

what part u from

ziotree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 07:40 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by UkFlyer View Post
Hi all,
oh theres nonsense you havent seen Scott Hartnell play in the regular season I guess

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Cleary84

Welcome! Always awesome to see people from across the ocean support the Flyers! If you ever visit the US, don't mind any negatives you hear, Philly is a great city!

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 08:15 PM
PF

Quote:
My dad has acculmulated two life bans from hockey by the age of 20 and he was a netminder,the 1st of which was rescinded (the 1st one was for running into the crowd and swinging his hockey stick wildly trying to attack them)that was rescinded but then he got banned for attacking a players face with his goalie stick. Luckily he has mellowed with age!!
Was your dad trying to be the British Hextall? You should probably check out the videos of him, your dad sounds like he might have shared something in common with Hexy.

Cool that your uncle coaches the GB team, I have a jersey although I've never seen them play.

Glad to have another Brit on board!

PF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 10:52 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Hi all,

Would just like to say that I have finally found an NHL team that i can support with a passion and the Philadelphia Flyers have a new fan from the UK.

I have been fluttering around NHL teams to find a team that i feel connected to. I have tried supporting the mapes but they just don't do it for me, but after watching this years playoffs i am hooked on the flyers.

I love richards and prongers tenaciuos style of play(two fav players in the league)
Lindros and LeClair were my favourite NHL players to play with on the old playstation game(bit irrelevent but it all adds up)
I like the mad fan base.

All in all the flyers are a great fit for me and i feel proud to finally have a NHL team I can truely support( been staying up to 4am etc to watch the fly.ers games on the net in the post season.

massive birmingham city fan(soccer- the flyers and birmingham seem to share the same type of morals)
my uncle is the Great Britain coach(yes i know they are not very good,lol) he is also the coach of coventry blaze who i watch regulary(had players like wade belak, Rumun Ndur)

Way too cool! Welcome aboard, I'm Canadian as are a number of others here, and we have a number of Europeans who, like yourself, stay up till morning to watch the team. That's dedication!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Black Ice

Ah, another person corrupted, er converted. Welcome!

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Illadelph12

awesome. welcome to the party.

Illadelph12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Richyrich

Welcome to the team. It's easy to fall in love with us

Say aluminum!

We're glad to have you aboard.

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 01:11 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

welcome brother! im glad we can share a love for the flyers together... however, i should point out that i'm an avid Villa fan

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 01:31 AM
PhilaFlyers

Your dads the coach of Great Britain? That's pretty awesome.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 01:34 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
hah, very cool....WELCOME!

FlyersGuy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:07 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Welcome! Glad you chose the Flyers. Could you hook us all up with some Coventry Blaze tickets?

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:47 AM
stonecold

Quote:
Hi all,

I like the mad fan base.

Ok. Being as you're from England, you're a free agent so you get to pick any team you want without being a phony. One rule though. Once you're aboard, you can only call yourself a FAN if you stay aboard. There will be good years and bad ones so you have to be prepared for both. If you're willing to take the plunge for real, I say welcome aboard!

In all truth, you were probably always genetically predisposed to being a Flyers fan anyway. Sounds like your dad used to LOVE the Broad Street Bullies and Hextall. Sounds like this is where you were always meant to be anyway. So just stick with them through thick and thin and the rewards will be that much better. You won't regret it. Whether their decisions are good or bad, this organization is ALWAYS trying to win and they will spend money or do whatever they can to try to get there every year.

stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 09:15 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Way too cool! Welcome aboard, I'm Canadian as are a number of others here, and we have a number of Europeans who, like yourself, stay up till morning to watch the team. That's dedication!
I'm curious if he's related to Ron Hextall.

And I'm curious what his opinion is of Chris Chelios.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 09:25 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Your Dad is clearly awesome.

Also, welcome aboard. It's amazing what going to the Cup can do for a team.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 09:41 AM
UkFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
Ok. Being as you're from England, you're a free agent so you get to pick any team you want without being a phony. One rule though. Once you're aboard, you can only call yourself a FAN if you stay aboard. There will be good years and bad ones so you have to be prepared for both. If you're willing to take the plunge for real, I say welcome aboard!

In all truth, you were probably always genetically predisposed to being a Flyers fan anyway. Sounds like your dad used to LOVE the Broad Street Bullies and Hextall. Sounds like this is where you were always meant to be anyway. So just stick with them through thick and thin and the rewards will be that much better. You won't regret it. Whether their decisions are good or bad, this organization is ALWAYS trying to win and they will spend money or do whatever they can to try to get there every year.
trust me being a birmingham city fan i know how to support a team through the bad years, in a hundred odd years we have one cup and even that was the 2nd cup behind the FA cup!!

Old
06-04-2010, 09:42 AM
UkFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
welcome brother! im glad we can share a love for the flyers together... however, i should point out that i'm an avid Villa fan
is ther an ignore poster button

Old
06-04-2010, 09:44 AM
UkFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I'm curious if he's related to Ron Hextall.

And I'm curious what his opinion is of Chris Chelios.
why would you want me to give an opinion on chris chelios?

For what it is worth you have to give the guy credit for playing at such a high level for many many years