HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Goaltending

View Poll Results: How should Atlanta address its goaltending position in the offseason?
Sign a veteran no. 1 goalie via UFA to start, Pavelec to backup (Nabokov, Theodore, Turco, Mason) 7 20.00%
Sign a veteran 1B goalie via UFA to split starts with Pavelec (Nittymaki, Ellis, Biron, Toskala) 23 65.71%
Trade for a new no. 1 goalie (Vokoun, Thomas, Price, Harding) 2 5.71%
Re-sign Johan Hedberg to split starts with Pavelec (as per last season) 3 8.57%
Clean house and go with 2 new goalies. (Trade Pavelec, don't sign Hedberg) 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

vCash: 500
Goaltending

I still think this is the no. 1 area that Dudley has to address in the offseason.

The team is an a tough situation because Hedberg, after 3 straight seasons which saw his numbers decline (.898; .892, .886) posted a career best .915 save percentage at age 36. His been a great team guy and on numerous occasions have bailed out Atlanta with solid play by stepping up and taking over the no. 1 role when Lehtonen has been hurt - far too often in the past few seasons. He does however doesn't handle the heavy workload well and therefore can be very inconsistent. At his current age, he should be only playing backup role featuring in 20-30 games.

Pavelec is a fine goaltending prospect. I don't think his ceiling is high as Kari's but he has already proven he works harder than Kari (not hard to achieve though). His save percentage of .910 is pretty good for his first full season and I expect him to better this next season. However, as all young goaltenders go through, consistency was a problem and he may not be ready to be a full time consistent no 1 goaltender as early as next season.

Therefore, Dudley has a decision to make. Does he pin his hopes on Pavelec continued improvement and Hedberg continuing his impressive form from last season or should he look to a different direction.

My opinion is he needs a more established no. 1. Pavelec is close and might be ready but I rather the thrashers make sure of their goaltending situation given the teams woes in the past with this particular situation. My first preference is to offer Nabokov a $6m two year contract. If Pavelec comes good straight away and outplays Nabby then, I'm fine with a large contract as a backup goalie because I know that Nabby has the experience to step up if Pavelec form does dip.

I just don't think this team can take any more chances with this position hoping for the best because I fairly certain that the thrashers won't be in the playoff mix with an inconsistent goaltender.

I've posted a poll with some different options on how the thrashers can address this position in the offseason.

Old
06-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Sabreality

i agree.

objectively speaking, Moose isnt a legit #1 option for a 'contending' team. nice guy, great teammate etcetcetc, but he's not the guy i want 'splitting' with Pavs at this point, i'd prefer a younger guy that could still raise his game and has been in a similar situation before.

Dan Ellis. He's put up solid numbers the past 2 years and is apparently a pretty good guy in the lockeroom, he's helped 'bridge' to a young netminder (Pekke Rinne) before, while performing admirably and not rocking the boat...Pavelec could realistically still be 3 years away and i'm sure Ellis has that extra motivation to prove he can be a #1..If Pavs wins the job outright, awesome, Ellis is a fine 1B option.

Nabokov worries me, he's getting up there in age and while Thornton & Marleau take a ton of heat for SJ's shortcomings, Nabby has been that constant in net come playoff time...he looked awful in the Olympics too...is $3m/yrworth the risk? maybe, but he'll likely get more than that from someone.

Old
06-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Aaronxxx

keep pavelec, sign or trade for a goalie to split with pavelec, offer moose a position on the coaching staff

Old
06-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

Do a 1A, 1B tandem.

I would rather not sign Nittymaki as he is mediocre against the rest of the league.

Old
06-04-2010, 07:14 PM
wingsarekings*

Interesting scenario here, Pavelec is going to be one amazing goaltender, but he's still young, and could use someone to split with.

If you want a workhorse goalie, only: Turco, Mason, Nabokov and Toskala have played more than 65 games in a regular season since the lockout.

If you want a 1a/1b the more likely route would be a Nittymaki, Biron , Toskala or Theodore.

I don't see the Trashers signing a big money guy like Turco or Nabokov. I believe it comes down too: Ellis, Toskala, Mason or Biron.

One of those 4 will be a trasher next season.

Old
06-04-2010, 08:19 PM
The Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by warf1234 View Post
Interesting scenario here, Pavelec is going to be one amazing goaltender, but he's still young, and could use someone to split with.

If you want a workhorse goalie, only: Turco, Mason, Nabokov and Toskala have played more than 65 games in a regular season since the lockout.

If you want a 1a/1b the more likely route would be a Nittymaki, Biron , Toskala or Theodore.

I don't see the Trashers signing a big money guy like Turco or Nabokov. I believe it comes down too: Ellis, Toskala, Mason or Biron.

One of those 4 will be a trasher next season.

I'm not entirely convinced that Nabokov will command a massive payday and I'd favor bringing him to Atlanta. At 35 I can't see anyone dropping big dollars over a long term. I can see Atlanta offering him 3 years to bridge him to retirement. Have Nabokov come in as our #1 next year, split time year 2, and be Pavelec's backup in year 3 at 38 years old. Pavs will be what? 25? And ready to take the reigns.

Old
06-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
I'm not entirely convinced that Nabokov will command a massive payday and I'd favor bringing him to Atlanta. At 35 I can't see anyone dropping big dollars over a long term. I can see Atlanta offering him 3 years to bridge him to retirement. Have Nabokov come in as our #1 next year, split time year 2, and be Pavelec's backup in year 3 at 38 years old. Pavs will be what? 25? And ready to take the reigns.
not a bad thought, a tricky scenario though..the 3 yr term is an idea, but i still think someone will go 2 for $9m just on rep...3/9 i''d do

Old
06-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Ellis or Nitty would be good and not too expensive

Old
06-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Shameus

I think it will probably end up being Ellis or Mason. Just gut feeling.

Old
06-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Aaronxxx

it would be a good move to pick up nittymaki just so we don't have to play against him anymore

Old
06-05-2010, 03:02 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Harding is a no. 1 goalie now?

Old
06-05-2010, 03:51 PM
wingsarekings*

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
Harding is a no. 1 goalie now?
Hell no

Old
06-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
I'd sign a 1A goalie like biron or nittymaki, so Pavelec can get more starts.

And you DO NOT want Toskala!

Old
06-06-2010, 01:10 PM
wingsarekings*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs4stanley View Post
I'd sign a 1A goalie like biron or nittymaki, so Pavelec can get more starts.

And you DO NOT want Toskala!
Toskala is not a bad goalie, stop acting like you speak for all leafs fans.

Can't stand that.

Makes me feel ashamed to wear the blue and white sometimes.
---------------------

That being said, why don't management feel Pavelec can handle a seasons workload? I remember a couple games vs the leafs where he was oustanding.

I'm assuming it's the consistency issues?

Old
06-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Sabreality

pretty much...all signs point to Pavs having the natural ability and work ethic, some nights he's WOW, others he's UGH...consistency should come with age (hopefully)...he'll be 23 when 10-11 begins, i see him still taking til 25/26 to put it all together..hence the need for a 1A-B that still has some upside (not just a retread imo)

Old
06-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

Quote:

Can't stand that.

Makes me feel ashamed to wear the blue and white sometimes.
---------------------

That being said, why don't management feel Pavelec can handle a seasons workload? I remember a couple games vs the leafs where he was oustanding.

I'm assuming it's the consistency issues?
He's not a starting goalie, so the Thrashers don't want Toskala...

He's a backup goalie that is a perfect for a place like Calgary, which he played decent when he was there.

Old
06-06-2010, 01:30 PM
wingsarekings*

Quote:
He's not a starting goalie, so the Thrashers don't want Toskala...

He's a backup goalie that is a perfect for a place like Calgary, which he played decent when he was there.
He's not a starting goalie on the leafs...after what 26 miserable games behind a hopeless team?

What about his previous 2 years where he cumulated a 55-42-17 record in over 100 games, and was the teams MVP in 07-08, and ranked top 15 among all NHL starting goalies that year...

Whether you like it or not, he holds the best statistics of any leafs goalie in a single season (07-08) since 03-04 Eddie Belfour era.

Yeah....

Old
06-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

Quote:
He's not a starting goalie on the leafs...after what 26 miserable games behind a hopeless team?

What about his previous 2 years where he cumulated a 55-42-17 record in over 100 games, and was the teams MVP in 07-08, and ranked top 15 among all NHL starting goalies that year...

Whether you like it or not, he holds the best statistics of any leafs goalie in a single season (07-08) since 03-04 Eddie Belfour era.

Yeah....
how much do you think Toskala will sign for this off-season then?

EDIT: oh, and all your saying is that Toskala is better than Raycroft, which is hardly an amazing feat.

Old
06-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
I think Nabokov signed short term (2 yrs) or Ellis signed 3 yrs would be a good pickup for you guys

Huet is also available ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Pretty sure you dont want him though

Old
06-06-2010, 03:54 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I think Nabokov signed short term (2 yrs) or Ellis signed 3 yrs would be a good pickup for you guys

Huet is also available ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Pretty sure you dont want him though
I want huet like I want a hole in my head. Which is to say, not at all.

Old
06-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
I really want Dan Ellis he is underrated overall. Seems to be a good character guy too he didn't get upset when Rinne stepped in for the Preds. I think a duo of Ellis and Pavelec would be nice for the Thrashers.

Old
06-06-2010, 05:18 PM
wingsarekings*

Quote:
how much do you think Toskala will sign for this off-season then?

EDIT: oh, and all your saying is that Toskala is better than Raycroft, which is hardly an amazing feat.
After this season, his reputation was shattered. He won't command more than 1 to 1.2 mill for a one year deal to prove he can still play.

Most likely destination is San Jose, if Nabokov does not resign.

Old
06-07-2010, 12:59 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

I'd like to see Ellis, Turco, or Mason signed for 1-2 million to play alongside Pavelec. If they both fail then Drew MacIntyre gets the shot he deserves.

Old
06-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Papadice

Send a message via MSN to Papadice
Quote:
He speaks for most of us...

Toskala in San Jose was a good goaltender... In his first season in Toronto, he was a solid goaltender... Last season, he was horrendous... As in, worst goaltender in the league by far... the team had zero confidence in him and it showed... he let in way to many week goals as well... even if you forget about his contract, he was still an aweful NHL goaltender last year... mind you, getting out of the spotlight of Leafs Nation might help him rekindle his career a bit at least...

Old
06-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

I would prefer Nittymaki or Ellis

Closed Thread