HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Panaccio--Annoying?

Old
06-04-2010, 08:10 PM
IrishSniper87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
Meh, you do your job in the public eye, you take the heat. If he can't handle it, get a low profile job.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Haha, I just had a twitter convo with her, it's really cool that she answers the fans questions.

1 - SHE IS NOT AN INTERN!

2 - We are being a bit harsh on Timmeh. Maybe we could tone it down a bit? (Granted he says some hilarious and ridiculous stuff)
She's actually a really awesome person and one of the few sportswriters that actually can, ya know, write. Even a lot of the really knowledgeable ones requires pretty extensive editing.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 10:12 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
Yes. I get paid by Versus for Daily Drop, the Flyers for the 1-2 articles per month I do for the official site, NHL.com for Across the Pond and occasional other articles, the IIHF for occasional articles for IIHF.com, plus a smaller amount through Hockeybuzz.

It's added up to a good side job freelancing but not enough on its own to be my only work. It may become full-time in the near future, though. We'll see.

Once you figure in taxes, there really isn't much money to be made through hockey writing on the Web, even for the "big" sites. Beyond that, it's real tough to do it full time because there's no health insurance, 401(k) or anything else.

You have to be a full-time employee of the parent companies of the big site to get benefits, and even then, the writers and content managers make considerably less money than you might think. And if you figure the number of hours worked to their salaries, it's hardly a lucrative career path. In sheer gross dollars per hour, you make more freelancing but once you figure in paying both ends of the taxes and the lack of benefits, it's a wash financially.

First and foremost, it has to be a labor of love whether you are freelancing or working full time. Everyone who gets into hockey writing and stays with it is doing it because they love it. Anyone in it for the money learns rather quickly that there are much easier and better-paying ways to make a living. But I doubt such people have one quarter as much fun.
Interresting stuff Bill. One thought I had on the subject though is that many of the writers out there probably make a heck of a lot more per hour than a guy like yourself will. You do research, compile your information, make it clear for the reader and write and article based on fact or keen observation. Many other writers go into the lockerroom ask a question about whether or not Richards should have touched the trophy and then write a garbage pile of an article on their blackberry on the way home. I am friends with 2 writers, one is the former and one is the latter.

Unfortunately though the vast majority of writers in just about any field do it as a labor of love. My sister is a "full time" writer and she has a 97 caravan with 523,000km's on it and a big vacation for them is to go camping 20 miles from home. The big difference I see though is at least you get to write about hockey and she has to write about quilting and womens issues.

It's a crying shame you don't have a full time job doing what you do. I don't recall his name right now but some moron reported not once but twice on the Flyers site of all places that Deserres was stuck behind Chet Pickard and then traded to Brandon. That's not a mistake you would have made.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarcillosMustache View Post
I follow panotch on twitter for game day news - which he is decent at. but damn, he fills you in on his personal life sometimes and THAT is annoying as hell.
yea, i really hated the "CarcillosMustache and I went out for drinks last night" update.

just kidding

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 11:22 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Haha, I just had a twitter convo with her, it's really cool that she answers the fans questions.

1 - SHE IS NOT AN INTERN!

2 - We are being a bit harsh on Timmeh. Maybe we could tone it down a bit? (Granted he says some hilarious and ridiculous stuff)
She said this last night:

@sbaicker: Whoever thought I was an intern... kick 'em a kick in the butt, will ya? I'm way too old to be anyone's intern.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 11:58 AM
whocares21

Not a fan of Tim or Frank Seravalli. I've been wondering whatever happened to Ed Moran?? He was a complete dork, but I liked his work. He was a very knowledgable guy. Then one day he just disappeared.

whocares21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 12:04 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 87
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares21 View Post
Not a fan of Tim or Frank Seravalli. I've been wondering whatever happened to Ed Moran?? He was a complete dork, but I liked his work. He was a very knowledgable guy. Then one day he just disappeared.
He still writes for the Daily News every now and then.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 01:33 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
Yes. I get paid by Versus for Daily Drop, the Flyers for the 1-2 articles per month I do for the official site, NHL.com for Across the Pond and occasional other articles, the IIHF for occasional articles for IIHF.com, plus a smaller amount through Hockeybuzz.

It's added up to a good side job freelancing but not enough on its own to be my only work. It may become full-time in the near future, though. We'll see.

Once you figure in taxes, there really isn't much money to be made through hockey writing on the Web, even for the "big" sites. Beyond that, it's real tough to do it full time because there's no health insurance, 401(k) or anything else.

You have to be a full-time employee of the parent companies of the big site to get benefits, and even then, the writers and content managers make considerably less money than you might think. And if you figure the number of hours worked to their salaries, it's hardly a lucrative career path. In sheer gross dollars per hour, you make more freelancing but once you figure in paying both ends of the taxes and the lack of benefits, it's a wash financially.

First and foremost, it has to be a labor of love whether you are freelancing or working full time. Everyone who gets into hockey writing and stays with it is doing it because they love it. Anyone in it for the money learns rather quickly that there are much easier and better-paying ways to make a living. But I doubt such people have one quarter as much fun.
Wow, awesome stuff Bill. Thanks for the insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
She's actually a really awesome person and one of the few sportswriters that actually can, ya know, write. Even a lot of the really knowledgeable ones requires pretty extensive editing.
She knows what's she is talking about and she plays hockey herself. She does a good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Interresting stuff Bill. One thought I had on the subject though is that many of the writers out there probably make a heck of a lot more per hour than a guy like yourself will. You do research, compile your information, make it clear for the reader and write and article based on fact or keen observation. Many other writers go into the lockerroom ask a question about whether or not Richards should have touched the trophy and then write a garbage pile of an article on their blackberry on the way home. I am friends with 2 writers, one is the former and one is the latter.

Unfortunately though the vast majority of writers in just about any field do it as a labor of love. My sister is a "full time" writer and she has a 97 caravan with 523,000km's on it and a big vacation for them is to go camping 20 miles from home. The big difference I see though is at least you get to write about hockey and she has to write about quilting and womens issues.

It's a crying shame you don't have a full time job doing what you do. I don't recall his name right now but some moron reported not once but twice on the Flyers site of all places that Deserres was stuck behind Chet Pickard and then traded to Brandon. That's not a mistake you would have made.
Like I said before, I don't hate Timmeh, I just find some of his questions are weird/funny and that he makes some research mistakes in his articles.

He is definitely the whipping boy, but he has a good gig.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 02:04 PM
PhilaFlyers

Eh Panaccio isn't as bad as everyone here is making him out to be.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 08:44 AM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Eh Panaccio isn't as bad as everyone here is making him out to be.
I'll tell who has been good and that's Rick Tocchet doing analysis on TV. I've been very surprised because you never really know what to expect but he knows the game and knows the league really well.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 08:09 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Cant stand the ****er. But his intern, Sarah Baiker is doing a great job.
They are having a field day on Twitter calling her an intern!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote