HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

POLL: Erik Gudbranson or Cam Fowler?

View Poll Results: Gudbranson or Fowler?
Erik Gudbranson 64 66.67%
Cam Fowler 32 33.33%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2010, 02:37 AM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305Pantera View Post
NO way I'd want to get rid of Horton for a guy I'd love to see play next to him. If only Horton didn't get injured!! I think the whole objective here is getting a top line center, to play with Horton and Frolik... At least IMO.
Once again I have to agree with Mr. 305.

Old
06-13-2010, 06:53 AM
Laus723
Future Now

I think the objective is to move Horton to bring in better players. Didn't sound like Tallon was too keen on Nate, and I don't blame him at all. Sure, he was better last season, but his history isn't good and we don't have any guarantees. He started the two prior seasons strong and faded away. Right now Nate's stock is probably at an all time high, and I think he needs to be dealt.

This team needs an entire culture change, and Nate moving will help that happen. It should give others a wake up call, while also ridding the team of his mindset. He did well last season, but...

06-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saevel View Post
I'm just very curious about this. And this is not an attempt at undermining you, I'm just genuinely interested in the perspective.. How do you figure Gudbranson has the potential to become a top line All-Star D-man? He hasn't shown the smarts or the offensive skills yet to become anything more than a defensive D-man. Sure, he could improve, but how often do players develop their offensive abilities that much? It's not exactly a case of Gudbranson not getting the opportunity to prove himself either, he's had plenty of ice time, and his production wasn't much better before his mono. His character and work ethic is unquestionable, and he's physically dominant, but does that mean he has the potential to be an all-star?
That's not true. If you pro-rate his stats to a full season, he'd have scored 38 pts. He's much more than a defensive d-man. People cannot just dismiss the fact that he played less than 2/3 of the season. His offensive stats are obviously going to suffer as a result.

Old
06-13-2010, 01:57 PM
305Pantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I think the objective is to move Horton to bring in better players. Didn't sound like Tallon was too keen on Nate, and I don't blame him at all. Sure, he was better last season, but his history isn't good and we don't have any guarantees. He started the two prior seasons strong and faded away. Right now Nate's stock is probably at an all time high, and I think he needs to be dealt.

This team needs an entire culture change, and Nate moving will help that happen. It should give others a wake up call, while also ridding the team of his mindset. He did well last season, but...
I just honestly don't believe the return for Horton will be satisfactory. As it is he's a top 3 forward for us, no argument there. What on Earth would we get back for him that would help us better the team? Even though his stock is at a high, I don't think we would receive a piece that would be as valuable as he is to this roster. I mean, I'm just wondering who you believe we'll get in return for him?

Old
06-13-2010, 01:58 PM
305Pantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Once again I have to agree with Mr. 305.

Let's start a keep Horty bandwagon haha.

Old
06-13-2010, 02:35 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
I don't have much of an opinion on Horton right now, he played well yeah, but I think Tallon needs to prove the point that he is trying to make, and I think Horton is his example.

Old
06-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305Pantera View Post
I just honestly don't believe the return for Horton will be satisfactory. As it is he's a top 3 forward for us, no argument there. What on Earth would we get back for him that would help us better the team? Even though his stock is at a high, I don't think we would receive a piece that would be as valuable as he is to this roster. I mean, I'm just wondering who you believe we'll get in return for him?
Dunno, no clue really, but what if we could work out a deal involving Spezza with Nate as the centerpiece? Some younger more solid players? Nate's cap hit is only 4 mil, not sure if would help Chicago or not, but what if we could get 2 players for him? I think he's a piece that has to be moved in order for this team to head in the right direction.

Old
06-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Dunno, no clue really, but what if we could work out a deal involving Spezza with Nate as the centerpiece? Some younger more solid players? Nate's cap hit is only 4 mil, not sure if would help Chicago or not, but what if we could get 2 players for him? I think he's a piece that has to be moved in order for this team to head in the right direction.
Chicago will likely not do something like that, but sell off their pieces just for prospects and picks. If it's a player coming back, it has to be a very cheap player. For example, why would they get rid of Sharp for 4.5M when Horton costs 4M, and they can get picks and prospects for Sharp from someone else. Chicago only has 14 players signed and is already over the cap for next season or something like that. They'll have to take basically no salary back for all those players.

Old
06-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Chicago will likely not do something like that, but sell off their pieces just for prospects and picks. If it's a player coming back, it has to be a very cheap player. For example, why would they get rid of Sharp for 4.5M when Horton costs 4M, and they can get picks and prospects for Sharp from someone else. Chicago only has 14 players signed and is already over the cap for next season or something like that. They'll have to take basically no salary back for all those players.
No, I don't think they'll do that, either, was just throwing out a scenario. I just think we can get value for Nate.

Old
06-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
No, I don't think they'll do that, either, was just throwing out a scenario. I just think we can get value for Nate.
Yeah, it's certainly possible. I wouldn't say it's likely though that we get "the right price". Probably 50/50. If Tallon is hellbent on moving Horton this summer or during next season, he might have to do it for less than fair value.

Old
06-13-2010, 06:31 PM
305Pantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Yeah, it's certainly possible. I wouldn't say it's likely though that we get "the right price". Probably 50/50. If Tallon is hellbent on moving Horton this summer or during next season, he might have to do it for less than fair value.
This is what I fear :! The only way an uneven trade involving Horton could help us is if its to drop his salary, in which case there are other salaries I'd prefer dropped. Horton in a trade involving Spezza is somewhat intriguing, but in all honesty I would want Spezza and Horton on a line together. Unfortunately HOrton is probably the most enticing piece, maybe they'd like Weiss?

Old
06-14-2010, 12:36 AM
phil725

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil725 View Post
Talent is not everything... Contract situation plays a big role into this as well.

I would not be surprised if we were able to trade horton for carter straight up... two reasons... number 1 salary cap hit.. number 2 salary cap length of time.

Carter is only signed till te end of 2010-2011 and he is going to demand 6 million plus.. where as horton's locked in at 4 mill for the next three years....
In all fairness.. Carter has one year that blows out Horton.. and that's it.

The points per game for Carter is almost the same as Horton's (Carter .72 ppg to Horton .70) Horton as only played 50 more games or so.
My point being was that Horton's situation is great and Giving him up with Vokoun would be a huge over payment.

I think Vokoun and a second would be reasonable for carter.

Old
06-27-2010, 02:25 PM
dm1371

Fowler, IMO Gudbranson is WAY too overhyped.
But if Fowler were a little more physical it would be a clearer choice.

Old
06-27-2010, 02:31 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm1371 View Post
Fowler, IMO Gudbranson is WAY too overhyped.
But if Fowler were a little more physical it would be a clearer choice.
I bet Gudbranson wouldnt have fallen as far as Fowler did if we didnt draft him at #3. You have to question why Fowler fell out of the top 10. Many questioned his attitude and commitment to the game, which is the complete opposite of Guds. Im sure Fowler will be the higher scorer of the two, but Guds is going to be the better all around Dman IMO.

Old
06-27-2010, 05:50 PM
phaedrusDH

Hey guys, Kingston Frontenacs fan here...I've watched about a dozen of Gudbranson's games and just thought I'd drop in to let you know that Gudbranson is a major stud, and to contribute to the offensive/defensive talk I've seen up-thread.

I think his ceiling is way higher than Fowler's. I know Gudbranson's been billed as a shut-down defenseman, but he was underutilized on the Fronts' PP units, getting second unit time in favour of Lashoff and a forward for the first. He definitely has the hard shot, the smarts and the ability to move the puck to contribute in the offensive end. It's just that his defensive skills are so good that they outshine his offensive abilities. As such, Gilmour employed him more often in a defensive role, which limited his exposure to the offensive end.

I'll definitely be watching him as he works his way up through your system. I have little doubt that he will be stepping into your line-up in no time (and much sooner than Fowler would have). It wouldn't even surprise me if it was next year, given his strength and excellent positional play.

Old
06-28-2010, 01:06 AM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Are people still voting on this? This was supposed to be a pre-draft poll! We all know who the better choice was now....

Old
06-22-2012, 07:02 AM
Jcpsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrusDH View Post
Hey guys, Kingston Frontenacs fan here...I've watched about a dozen of Gudbranson's games and just thought I'd drop in to let you know that Gudbranson is a major stud, and to contribute to the offensive/defensive talk I've seen up-thread.

I think his ceiling is way higher than Fowler's. I know Gudbranson's been billed as a shut-down defenseman, but he was underutilized on the Fronts' PP units, getting second unit time in favour of Lashoff and a forward for the first. He definitely has the hard shot, the smarts and the ability to move the puck to contribute in the offensive end. It's just that his defensive skills are so good that they outshine his offensive abilities. As such, Gilmour employed him more often in a defensive role, which limited his exposure to the offensive end.

I'll definitely be watching him as he works his way up through your system. I have little doubt that he will be stepping into your line-up in no time (and much sooner than Fowler would have). It wouldn't even surprise me if it was next year, given his strength and excellent positional play.
Gudbranson: 2 goals, 6 assists.
Fowler: 5 goals, 24 assists.

Old
06-22-2012, 07:24 AM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcpsr View Post
Cool.

Thanks for bumping this thread for that.

Still would take Gudbranson 10 out of 10 times over Fowler.

Old
06-22-2012, 07:26 AM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcpsr View Post
Please don't dig up old threads like this. Thanks.

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Closed Thread