HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Whats your opinion on Coburn? (Playoffs)

Old
06-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Norm MacDonald

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Now, that's not entirely his fault... but maybe he is getting exposed a little bit?
You kind of answered your own question. He's been good and +/- is a stupid stat.

Norm MacDonald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
You kind of answered your own question. He's been good and +/- is a stupid stat.
I implied what my belief is, not sure I answered it.

Part of our "third pairing" problem is that for whatever reason when Krajicek is out there, he seems to be out there with one of Carle or Coburn (unless of course, he's out there with Parent/Bartulis which has been pretty rare), and neither of them looks all that great when they're out there without Pronger and Timonen respectively.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
I noticed that too and I could be wrong but for the most part I don't think he's been the problem at all. In fact he's been pretty great in his own end but it's hard to keep them all out (unless you're Pronger).
Eh, some of it is that Coburn doesn't do a very good job of controlling play around him... he makes mistakes with passes, drops coverage, etc. So if he's out there without the soothing influence of Timonen, **** begins to go wrong. Now, some of that is of course the fact that he's out there with Parent, Krajicek, etc. who have their own problems, but Coburn isn't good enough to keep a pairing afloat on his own, and it shows badly when he's asked to.

Old
06-06-2010, 12:28 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 320
Quote:
Eh, some of it is that Coburn doesn't do a very good job of controlling play around him... he makes mistakes with passes, drops coverage, etc. So if he's out there without the soothing influence of Timonen, **** begins to go wrong. Now, some of that is of course the fact that he's out there with Parent, Krajicek, etc. who have their own problems, but Coburn isn't good enough to keep a pairing afloat on his own, and it shows badly when he's asked to.
It depends what level you're evaluating him at. On the Flyers he's a 3rd or 4th defenseman. Sure he's not perfect, but in a cap world you don't get much better than him as a 3rd or 4th defenseman.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 12:38 AM
Jester

Quote:
It depends what level you're evaluating him at. On the Flyers he's a 3rd or 4th defenseman. Sure he's not perfect, but in a cap world you don't get much better than him as a 3rd or 4th defenseman.
Well, Coburn was also pretty cheap this year... so that's very true. This story may change on his next contract. If the arbitrator (I think he's headed there if Holmgren doesn't spaz out like he did with Jones) decides that "Hey, he played 20+ a night the last few years, you should be paying him a lot more, then we may need to revisit whether he's cost effective.

Coburn had some pretty big problems this year, and spent time on the third pairing because of it. And last year he was just flat terrible for about half the season.

Old
06-06-2010, 01:01 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 320
Quote:
Well, Coburn was also pretty cheap this year... so that's very true. This story may change on his next contract. If the arbitrator (I think he's headed there if Holmgren doesn't spaz out like he did with Jones) decides that "Hey, he played 20+ a night the last few years, you should be paying him a lot more, then we may need to revisit whether he's cost effective.

Coburn had some pretty big problems this year, and spent time on the third pairing because of it. And last year he was just flat terrible for about half the season.
If we can keep Coburn for the price we were paying Jones I keep him. Like I said sure he has problems, but there are very few defeneseman (players for that mater) without holes in there game. It's hilarious that people seem to expect perfection at all times and all positions. For the most part Coburn's errors aren't things he can't learn. If he becomes to expense of course let him go. But some times I get the feeling people always assume it is possible to upgrade at a particular position and the realities is with the cap limitations many times you can't.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:07 AM
Kermit the Prog

Quote:
If we can keep Coburn for the price we were paying Jones I keep him. Like I said sure he has problems, but there are very few defeneseman (players for that mater) without holes in there game. It's hilarious that people seem to expect perfection at all times and all positions. For the most part Coburn's errors aren't things he can't learn. If he becomes to expense of course let him go. But some times I get the feeling people always assume it is possible to upgrade at a particular position and the realities is with the cap limitations many times you can't.
I agree with this. The biggest peeve I have with Coburn's game is his play with the puck. I am sure Laviolette sees everything we fans see (and much more) and I hope that translates into having Coburn focus on how to deal with being pressured when he has the puck. I thought he was much improved (except for the first Chicago goal) in Game 4 as it looked like his decision making was more confident than in the previous playoff games.

Kermit the Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:12 AM
Jester

Quote:
Eh, this is debatable. A lot of his problems stem from stuff he should have learned a long time ago, which is where hockey IQ is a factor with his game. Personally, I'd always prefer the guy with a weaker physical tool set, but superior savvy. Coburn is the other way around as of now.

That's what is so frustrating about him.

Now, for sure, if his salary remains down there's zero problem with keeping him around for many years, he's a "good" player.