HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who gets the second "A"

View Poll Results: the 2nd "A"
Dubinsky 19 16.96%
Staal 32 28.57%
Rozsival 24 21.43%
Gaborik 36 32.14%
Avery 1 0.89%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-04-2010, 11:40 PM
darko

vCash: 500
IMO Gabby should get it. Staal would be close 2nd.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 04:20 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
umm look at the younger captains and alternates in the league. because Staal is 23 is not a great excuse but hey hockey is different here. a letter dont mean anything anyway.
Hockey is different here. Only non-homegrown players/free agents etc can be captain. Messier(turned out great) , Jagr, Drury etc.

Looking at other teams within our division alone. Alot of homegrown players...crosby, richards, elias was for a bit, ovechkin in washinton, toews in chiacgo, lidstrom, yzerman in detroit etc.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 04:53 AM
Cherepanisimov

Prospal.

If Prospal isn't re-signed, do the same thing we did last year and wait for another leader to emerge.

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
Prospal.

If Prospal isn't re-signed, do the same thing we did last year and wait for another leader to emerge.
if this is was my team id make Lundqvist captain, Callahan with the A and either Staal, Rozsival or Dubinsky with the other A.

Maybe Drury without the letter would do him some good.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 08:44 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
umm look at the younger captains and alternates in the league. because Staal is 23 is not a great excuse but hey hockey is different here. a letter dont mean anything anyway.
Yes and look at all of the captains and co-captains who are not. But hey, we are only going to look at a small sample of the NHL to prove a point.

I stated the fact that he was young because he doesnt need the added pressure. Let him develop without any added pressure. The guy is already the teams TOI leader most nights and the teams #1 d-man.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 01:28 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
if this is was my team id make Lundqvist captain, Callahan with the A and either Staal, Rozsival or Dubinsky with the other A.

Maybe Drury without the letter would do him some good.
I think making the goalie captain is so stupid. I think Vancouver suffers from having Lunogo as captain in the leadership department.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 01:29 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
I'd rather have someone who's a "little bit of a hothead" in Dubi rather than some emotionless, shy, "one of the best" d-men (on a team with pretty abysmal defense) in Rozi in a leadership position on this team.
this viewpoint never ceases to amaze me. If you aren't going around getting in everyone's face, taking penalties, hitting everything that moves, then you are emotionless.

Old
06-05-2010, 03:39 PM
ck20

vCash: 1050
When was the last time you saw Rozi do..anything, really? Outside of the last 20 or so game stretch where Rozi played an above-average game, when are people saying "man, Rozi definitely rallied his fellow defensemen/team there," or "Rozi definitely lead by example that game"? Again, sure, you can bring up those last 20 games of the last season but outside of that, you're going to tell me that Rozi is really a GOOD player that deserves to lead, or partially lead, this or any team just because he's a vet? I suppose the off-season/20 (I'll bump it up to 50-60 across the 5 years he's played here) decent games absolves him of the other 4 1/2 years of relatively awful play he's gifted us with.

Rozi actually had more penalty minutes than Dubi in 09-10 (78 to Dubi's 54), as well as slightly edging him in hits as well (136 to Dubi's 129), so I'm not sure what you were trying to say.

I don't see why it's a "stupid/bad" viewpoint to prefer a player that does SOMETHING that you can see is performed with some fire/heart/grit/whatever you want to call it (and with the improving results to back up that play) be in a leadership position on a team.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 04:24 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
When was the last time you saw Rozi do..anything, really? Outside of the last 20 or so game stretch where Rozi played an above-average game, when are people saying "man, Rozi definitely rallied his fellow defensemen/team there," or "Rozi definitely lead by example that game"? Again, sure, you can bring up those last 20 games of the last season but outside of that, you're going to tell me that Rozi is really a GOOD player that deserves to lead, or partially lead, this or any team just because he's a vet? I suppose the off-season/20 (I'll bump it up to 50-60 across the 5 years he's played here) decent games absolves him of the other 4 1/2 years of relatively awful play he's gifted us with.

Rozi actually had more penalty minutes than Dubi in 09-10 (78 to Dubi's 54), as well as slightly edging him in hits as well (136 to Dubi's 129), so I'm not sure what you were trying to say.

I don't see why it's a "stupid/bad" viewpoint to prefer a player that does SOMETHING that you can see is performed with some fire/heart/grit/whatever you want to call it (and with the improving results to back up that play) be in a leadership position on a team.
you realize he got that deal because of how good he was playing so idk where you're getting that he was awful.

well he also played more games than dubi but regardless that's not a big deal.

finally you clearly have a personal vendetta against rozi

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 05:00 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I think Dubi may be too much of a hothead to wear a letter over a guy like Staal or over Gaborik.
I think his hotheadness is more passion and a desire to aggressively defend his teammates. This team is as soft as baby ****, I think giving Dubi a letter would be a nice message to everyone else that there are rewards for being willing and able to defend your team.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Staal.

Dubinsky will have his day.

Gaborik, I don't see him as a captain. Great player, pretty good guy, but not so much captain material if you ask me.

I'd say Rozsival if I didn't think Staal was ready for the A, but I think it's time to give it to him. I don't care if his abilities have hindered a bit, I think he can still play well, and he's still deserving of Captaincy.

As for Avery, I honestly do find him to be a good leader, but considering the way he is, the way he plays, and the agitator he fits himself to be, he'll find himself in the penalty box a lot, and I find a good captain is someone who can't be back and forth to the penalty box. That's another reason Rozsival and Dubinsky are less captain material than Staal and Drury. Dubinsky only had 54PIM this year, but he was injured for a time, and that 112 from last year still sticks out to me.

If and when Dubinsky proves that his maturity is built up, then I'd see him as a fitting Captain.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 06:55 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

i dont know why anyone would pick rozi i think it'll be dubi or staalsy. dru on the other hand should not be captain, in my opinion. i think it should be hanky xD

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 09:23 PM
smoneil

Staal. If for no other reason, to serve as a clear reminder that his name has two A's and one L.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 09:49 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Tell that to Leetch...

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:36 AM
Khris Creider

I def do not think rosy at all. He may have put a good effort in towards the end of the year but there is no way he deserves the A.

As for, Gaborik and Duby that is definitely a different story. They both play hard and stick up for their teammates especially Duby in that department. I think Cali, Gabby, and Duby should grab the 3 A's and for a month or two see who could really lead this team. I think drury is absolutely terrible and should get the "C" taken away immediately.

Khris Creider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:43 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
'C': Callahan
'A': Dubinsky
'A': Staal
Would love to see this. Dru shouldn´t wear the "C" anymore, i think it would help him a lot.

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 09:50 AM
DrZoidberg

There's no way that Drury isn't going to be the captain. Tortorellla loves the guy so much, and depends on him. We don't know how Dru is with his teammates, really, so I'd support this if Torts trusts him. Like I said, his captaincy isn't going anywhere.

As for the A's, I think Prospal might be stripped, or they'll add an A. Gabs should be a contender because of his point totals. Though I think Staal deserves it more. Dubi will get a leadership position once Drury's contract is up.

As for Lundqvist wearing a C: NO!
The Captain needs to be on the bench. How can he communicate with his teammates at key times when he's parked in the net with 5 people on the ice? And what about on penalty kills. Imagine a Captain not being able to talk to his teammates in a 5 on 3 situation when they'd need inspiration and motivation the most.

Goalie as captain is the dumbest thing. Lundqvist is already a leader, everyone knows it.

DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 12:50 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I think his hotheadness is more passion and a desire to aggressively defend his teammates. This team is as soft as baby ****, I think giving Dubi a letter would be a nice message to everyone else that there are rewards for being willing and able to defend your team.
regardless, you want your leader to have a level head on his shoulders.

I know everyone has Messier syndrome where they think anyone that wears the C here has to be able to go out and fire up a whole fan base with guarantees and interviews and absolutely has to be a fan favorite, but Messier didn't go out and take stupid penalties, he didn't get into the petty scrums Dubinsky does.

I really don't think the defending your teammates thing is as big of an issue as everyone makes it out to be anymore. We made some personnel changes that really changed the attitude of this team around the deadline. The acquisitions of Prust and Shelley meant no one had to feel like no one was going to stand up for their teammates. You saw Girardi take a run at Hartnell the last game, showing it had a bit of a ripple affect too.

Prust, Shelley, Girardi, Voros, Avery, Dubinsky, Boyle, Byers, Drury, Weise, Staal... should we give them all A's?

Believe it or not, some guys look to someone with poise in times of turmoil. People want to **** all over Drury as a captain, when really, they have no idea what kind of leader he is. I don't have any idea either. We're not in the lockerroom. He could be great, he could be average, he could be awful. I'm not ready to make assumptions about it.

Old
06-09-2010, 01:34 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Gaborik.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

2010-2011
C - Drury
A - Callahan
A - Rozsival

2011-2012
C - Drury
A - Callahan
A - Rozsival/Staal

2012-2013
C - Callahan
A - Staal
A - Dubinsky

Of course we all know who the real captain on this team is. . . .

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 11:26 PM
bettercallstaal
Stepan Stepan Stepan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Hockey is different here. Only non-homegrown players/free agents etc can be captain. Messier(turned out great) , Jagr, Drury etc.

Looking at other teams within our division alone. Alot of homegrown players...crosby, richards, elias was for a bit, ovechkin in washinton, toews in chiacgo, lidstrom, yzerman in detroit etc.
well before the last two years how many of our homegrown players even made the roster let alone were worthy of a letter? We finally have someone worth it in Cally. I think we should wait on Staal... he's still developing his game and he doesn't need the added pressure. Same for Dubi. I say give it to Gaborik.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote