HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

You could argue Cup final was played between Blackhawks and Canucks

Old
06-04-2010, 03:20 PM
pitseleh

vCash: 500
Gallagher loves to play the contrarian.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 03:25 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Only a pathetic fanboy would develop an argument that the "Cup Final" was played in the quarter finals. What a joke.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
by that logic nashville might have been the 2nd best team in the west.

beware of the predators....
this made me lol haha

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Johnny LaRue

I will say that if the Blackhawks win it in five, it makes the Canucks look a little better.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 04:32 PM
CrackerJibbs

Tony Gallagher is full of ****.

CrackerJibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 08:43 PM
digger18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Only a pathetic fanboy would develop an argument that the "Cup Final" was played in the quarter finals. What a joke.
Post of the thread hands down.

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Or a columnist with space to fill and the next interesting news from the Canucks three weeks away.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
i was waiting for a boarder to start a thread about this topic, with the great counter-argument being the nashville example...if martin erat isn't an idiot in game 5 in chicago then they might have won that series

instead, to my surprise, tony gallagher creates the column before anybody can start an asinine topic on it

well done hf boards for not stooping to the stupidity level of tony gallagher

hf boarders > cdc'ers > tony gallagher

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Or a columnist with space to fill and the next interesting news from the Canucks three weeks away.
I think this is probably the most reasonable response so far. Tony G. just needs to fill column space and there is nothing Canucks related to write about.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Hammer79

It was kind of a rock-paper-scissors situation. If Vancouver had less injuries on D, they probably would have had the best chance of the western teams to beat Chicago because of their offense and skating. However, I didn't see Vancouver matching up well against SJ. SJ didn't match up well against Chicago. As the Canucks stood with their injuries, they didn't match up well against either and it showed.

If Philly goes on to win the cup, it may have the trickle down benefit of giving Chicago Stanley Cup runner up hang-over next season. If they do win, well, we've seen in recent years how hard it is to repeat. Detroit was the last team to repeat 96-97 & 97-98. The door could be open for SJ and Van next season.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Wellwood You

So if Philly wins in 6 does this make the Bruins-Flyers series the "final"?

Waste of column space and bandwidth. Couldn't Tony G have written a fluff piece on one of the prospects the Canucks signed these past few days? Or something about the prospect/drafting system?

Wellwood You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:21 PM
bbud

Vancouver was one banged up team and went 6 the last one was a gutsy effort is all i would say we saw better than SJS fans got but TG is well TG nothing new lol.

bbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 12:36 AM
passive voice

You could argue that, but it'd be ignoring the fact that both SJ and Philly have played Chicago better than we did, so you'd look pretty silly.

passive voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 12:38 AM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
I think this is probably the most reasonable response so far. Tony G. just needs to fill column space and there is nothing Canucks related to write about.
Does he have to write about the Canucks? Can't make some comments about the finals instead?

*Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 12:46 AM
DanyHeatleyfnAllstar
French Coach!

We da champs.

DanyHeatleyfnAllstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 01:01 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Katt View Post
The Sharks and the Flyers weren't annihilated by the Blackhawks in each of their home games. This is Gallagher logic and its worst.
But they have not pushed the hawks at their home the way we did either.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 02:11 AM
unifiedtheory

I usually like Gallagher but he's on glue trying to make this argument. Shouldn't Chicago actually win something before we all decide that the Canucks were the 2nd best team in the playoffs? The Flyers have already pushed the Hawks as far as the Canucks did.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 02:12 AM
unifiedtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellwood You View Post
So if Philly wins in 6 does this make the Bruins-Flyers series the "final"?

Waste of column space and bandwidth. Couldn't Tony G have written a fluff piece on one of the prospects the Canucks signed these past few days? Or something about the prospect/drafting system?
Exactly. If anyone wrote this they would need to be committed to an asylum but following Tony's logic it would be true.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 02:21 AM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

Gallagher writing another pro-Canucks article since his drinking buddy Gillis took over? I'm shocked!!!!

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 02:31 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

But that's the nature of the playoffs. When your team goes out it always looks as though it's in total disarray, that all sorts of things need to be changed and they weren't even close to winning a Cup.
After all the dust has settled and the hair has been removed from the heads of the knee-jerk fans overwrought by the Canucks' departure, a couple of things have emerged.

This is the key part. It's pretty hard to argue against.

Old
06-05-2010, 02:35 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
I usually like Gallagher but he's on glue trying to make this argument. Shouldn't Chicago actually win something before we all decide that the Canucks were the 2nd best team in the playoffs? The Flyers have already pushed the Hawks as far as the Canucks did.
I wonder how many people actually read the article. Qudos to Wetcoaster though, nice bait work.

Old
06-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Gallagher writing another pro-Canucks article since his drinking buddy Gillis took over? I'm shocked!!!!
Tony G drinks nothing stronger than whole milk (none of that 2% or skim for him) or so I have been told.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
[B]This is the key part. It's pretty hard to argue against.
How is it hard to argue against? There are all kinds of playoff series that end with neither team looking in disarray - that are simply hard-fought start to finish and someone has to win.

Old
06-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
Exactly. If anyone wrote this they would need to be committed to an asylum but following Tony's logic it would be true.
Paul McCann hockey blogger extraordinaire at Eklund's site (Hockeybuzz) and Hockeybuzz radio host in Nashville as well as the Predators PA announcer has taken Tony G to task over his conspiracy theories in the same article (mind you writing for Eklund and hosting one of the Hockeybuzz radio shows is not the best test of journalistic integrity):
Quote:
The bizarro Vancouver media strikes again… a column in the Vancouver Province aimed at soothing the raging Canuck fan, still seething after losing in the second round to the Blackhawks, writer Tony Gallagher pulls out his roll of tinfoil and fashions himself quite a headpiece. He says that the game winning goal on Wednesday night “may have been kicked in.” OK… but then he goes really nuts…
”But with another $3-plus-million gate going into the hands of one of the most favoured ownerships in the league, there was no way there was going to be a second Philly OT goal disallowed, so the issue didn't even come up.
Ummm… yeah… OK.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=24

Far be it from me to defend The Gollum - but given what we saw with the Daniel Sedin disallowed goal which was supposedly kicked in (but not under the rules as written), he may be correct. OTOH the league could simply be incompetent and inconsistent.

Here is what Gordon McIntyre of the Province had to say on the McCann blog yesterday on the Province's Live Chat:
Quote:
Just took a quick glance at McCann's blog. Big case of GOO (grasp of the obvious)
Tony G's take on the McCann blog - "I'm used to it". After Gallagher's epic battles with Quinn and Burke, this is like a mosquito bite for him I suppose.

Is it just me but does Paul McCann not look like Dan Russell's long lost love child?

McCann

Russell (now and then):

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Fan in the Know

Not having lived on the mainland for close to a decade, and therefore not being exposed to much of the Vancouver print media, I am shocked at Boney Tony's metamorphasis from perpetual naysayer spewing negativity every chance he gets to almost being an apologist and cheer leader for the franchise. Wow, I guess pigs really do fly.

Fan in the Know is offline   Reply With Quote