HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Any Chance we could trade up to get Connoly or Niederiter

Old
06-04-2010, 02:48 PM
c-carp

vCash: 500
Any Chance we could trade up to get Connoly or Niederiter

Most mock drafts have Connolly or Niederiter gone before we pick. They are my two favorite first round prospects I would love to trade up and get either if they dont slip.

I would prefer Connoly but would take either. Does anyone who follows this stuff closer think they would be worth trading up for? What would it take to move up.

I ask because the entire basis for this is the Hockey News draft preview and a lot of you follow this closer.

Thoughts

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Gaels

I like both of these guys as well. However, it costs a lot to move up in drafts. I mean the blues would need to move what 6-8 places to get one of them? That could be a high price to pay. It might be worth it but would you be willing to give up a Fairchild or Sonne when the blues have had such good luck drafting with the mid- late firsts?

Gaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

In 2005, SJ traded ATL the 12th overall pick, a 2nd, and a 7th for the 8th overall pick.

In 2007, SJ traded us the 13 overall pick, and 2nd round pick (44th), and a 3rd the next year for the 9th overall pick.

In 2008, Toronto traded NYI the 7th overall pick, a 3rd round pick (68th) and a 2nd in 2009 for the 5th overall pick.

Also in 2008, Nashville traded NYI the 9th overall pick and a 2nd (40th) for the 7th overall pick.

In 2009, Minnesota traded NYI the 12th overall pick for the 16th overall pick, a 3rd, and a 7th.

These are just some picks that we'd be looking at to gauge the cost of trading up.

The only way realistically see us getting Connolly is if there is some question about his health. And if there is some question about his health, I question if we should trade up to get him. If he is healthy, I dont see him getting past the 5-6 overall pick. I dont see us giving up the firepower necessary to get that pick, and I dont see a team drafting in the 3-6 spots wanting to move back to 14th. At that point, might as well send the kitchen sink to Boston and get Seguin.

Nino is the wild card of the Top 10, in mock drafts Ive seen him going anywhere from the 5th pick to the 13th pick. Hes the NHL CS 12th ranked NA skater. It sounds like scouts are worried about his ceiling, as it sounds like he physically developed very early. I think Connollys health is going to be the biggest factor is in where El Nino goes, as they are fairly similar players in terms of what they bring to a team.

I think to move into the 7-9 spot, we would need to find a willing team (easier said than done) and probably give up our 1st, 2nd, next years 2nd and maybe a late pick

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle and Flow View Post
In 2005, SJ traded ATL the 12th overall pick, a 2nd, and a 7th for the 8th overall pick.

In 2007, SJ traded us the 13 overall pick, and 2nd round pick (44th), and a 3rd the next year for the 9th overall pick.

In 2008, Toronto traded NYI the 7th overall pick, a 3rd round pick (68th) and a 2nd in 2009 for the 5th overall pick.

Also in 2008, Nashville traded NYI the 9th overall pick and a 2nd (40th) for the 7th overall pick.

In 2009, Minnesota traded NYI the 12th overall pick for the 16th overall pick, a 3rd, and a 7th.

These are just some picks that we'd be looking at to gauge the cost of trading up.

The only way realistically see us getting Connolly is if there is some question about his health. And if there is some question about his health, I question if we should trade up to get him. If he is healthy, I dont see him getting past the 5-6 overall pick. I dont see us giving up the firepower necessary to get that pick, and I dont see a team drafting in the 3-6 spots wanting to move back to 14th. At that point, might as well send the kitchen sink to Boston and get Seguin.

Nino is the wild card of the Top 10, in mock drafts Ive seen him going anywhere from the 5th pick to the 13th pick. Hes the NHL CS 12th ranked NA skater. It sounds like scouts are worried about his ceiling, as it sounds like he physically developed very early. I think Connollys health is going to be the biggest factor is in where El Nino goes, as they are fairly similar players in terms of what they bring to a team.

I think to move into the 7-9 spot, we would need to find a willing team (easier said than done) and probably give up our 1st, 2nd, next years 2nd and maybe a late pick
This year's 1st and 2nd, plus next year's 2nd, plus a late pick is a lot to give up to move up from 14 to 6. But, The Blues have a fair amount of decent prospects in the system, plus the full complement of picks in this year's and next year's drafts. So, I might not have a problem with them giving up that much to get Connolly or Niederiter. But, that would put a lot of pressure on Blues' management to have that particular player perform.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

If either start to fall I would love to move up 4-5 spots. But I wouldn't want to give up too much. I think there is a good chance a guy like Skinner or Etem could fall to us. And keeping two 2nds on top of them or such might be better in the grand scheme of things.

So I think it depends on what the teams ahead of us do.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 08:04 PM
c-carp

Thanks guys

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote